Is GT5 a finished product after spec II?

• Thread starter shurnster
  • 254 comments

Is GT5 look more like a finished product with spec II?

• Yes

Votes: 140 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 254 64.5%

• Total voters
Nah don't think it's complete. In my opinion the following things would make it feel complete:

-Full Leaderboards
-Flag rules
-Good AI: meaning close races offline in similar cars
-Championship creator: offline and online
-All cars premium or at least no more UCD so you can buy every car you want when you want

That would make it complete, but I am very happy with the game as it is. I can have great races online and hotlap in 1000 cars offline :D

Well, I'm still kind of looking for evidence of that. If PD did communicate more, and said that they were having issues, I'd understand.

Anyway, I see where you're coming from.

Go play GT2, and you'll find a hatchback with an F1 engine it, since one was built in real life.

EDIT by the way, if you would start paying attention, you'd notice that the desire to have engine swaps in game does not automatically translate into putting Tank Car engines in the back of a Diahatsu.

You've only proved how ridiculous you can be. Engine swaps are not ridiculous, fact. They're not illegal, fact. You don't get to decide what does or does not "belong" in GT, fact (though you can have an opinion on this, which will be shot down if it's a pathetic opinion).

Engine swaps and drivetrain swaps are both excellent ideas, especially since they are realistic, very common in the auto world, and deeply ingrained in car culture. And what do you know, GT is related to all of that.

They're both equally valid.

Which hatchback are you talking about ?

If engine swap, drive train is not ridiculous then what is th purpose of different types road cars, sports, supercars. Why do engineers build car specifically for the requirements of each cars. Why can't they simply mix-match one car into another and sell them :rolleyes:

Is it even possible for me to go to a manufacture and give him a blank check to build a batman car ?

Nah don't think it's complete. In my opinion the following things would make it feel complete:

-Full Leaderboards
-Flag rules
-Good AI: meaning close races offline in similar cars
-Championship creator: offline and online
-All cars premium or at least no more UCD so you can buy every car you want when you want

That would make it complete, but I am very happy with the game as it is. I can have great races online and hotlap in 1000 cars offline :D

This is the main reason i didnt even finnish gt5 singleplayer, no fun without any competition. IMO gt5 AI had bin good if they had around the same pace as real drivers. If they are too fast then upgrade your car.

Which hatchback are you talking about ?
Renault Espace F1

If engine swap, drive train is not ridiculous then what is th purpose of different types road cars, sports, supercars.
This quote has no relevance what so ever.

Why do engineers build each car specifically for the requirements of each cars. Why can't they simply mix-match one car into another and sell them :rolleyes:
You mean like the Chrysler 300 and Crossfire, which are Mercedes? Or the Devon GTX, which is a Viper. Or the Dauer 962, which is a Porsche? Or the CTS-V which is a CTS with a Corvette engine? Or the...

You have no idea what you are talking about.

You also don't know much about engineering.

Do you want to know why a lot of cars are not built brand new from the ground up, but are based on other cars? Because it cuts costs and makes things easier. But this is besides the point. The point is, engine swaps are completely reasonable.

Is it even possible for me to go to a manufacture and give him a blank check to build a batman car ?

Remember the endless list of RX-7's with Corvette engines I gave you? None of them were built by a manufacturer. They were built by people who wanted to swap out engines.

The electric bike I showed the video of? Built by half a dozen people over the course of a year working on it part time.

This is the main reason i didnt even finnish gt5 singleplayer, no fun without any competition. IMO gt5 AI had bin good if they had around the same pace as real drivers. If they are too fast then upgrade your car.

The thing about AI is it's not so simple to make them equal to real drivers. It can't realistically be done. You would need to basically create the computer equivalent of the human brain to get human-like drivers.

I'm not in GT5 for the single player, but I do understand the appeal of good AI. But that is one of the biggest challenges for PD, or anyone making a game.

Exorcet; I Know they cant make AI like a real driver, but i ment speed like a real driver. Now they brake way too early, and are extremly slow, not only compared to real drivers but compared to other driving games too.

Renault Espace F1

You mean like the Chrysler 300 and Crossfire, which are Mercedes? Or the Devon GTX, which is a Viper. Or the Dauer 962, which is a Porsche?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

You also don't know much about engineering.

Do you want to know why a lot of cars are not built brand new from the ground up, but are based on other cars? Because it cuts costs and makes things easier. But this is besides the point. The point is, engine swaps are completely reasonable.

Remember the endless list of RX-7's with Corvette engines I gave you? None of them were built by a manufacturer. They were built by people who wanted to swap out engines.

The electric bike I showed the video of? Built by half a dozen people over the course of a year working on it part time.

The thing about AI is it's not so simple to make them equal to real drivers. It can't realistically be done. You would need to basically create the computer equivalent of the human brain to get human-like drivers.

I'm not in GT5 for the single player, but I do understand the appeal of good AI. But that is one of the biggest challenges for PD, or anyone making a game.

Renault Esacpe F1 was developed fore real so I agree such cars should be included and I have already mentioned that unique modded cars existing in real probably should feature in the game.

I know that manufacture design and develop a engine to use for n numbers of car models and they make high performance engine and various specification and changes to use in sports, supercars. However they do not mix-match random cars like the option of drive train or engine swap. We don't need random custom made motorbikes or cars. I am sorry but these are useless and of no significant value.

Exorcet; I Know they cant make AI like a real driver, but i ment speed like a real driver. Now they brake way too early, and are extremly slow, not only compared to real drivers but compared to other driving games too.

Braking too early is something I think can be fixed. I don't know about the cornering speeds though.

If the AI was completely scripted, then yes, they could be crazy fast. But then they wouldn't be AI. And if they were ever bumped or moved out of the way, they would become useless.

True AI is obviously the way to go for a game like GT, but then you can't directly control how good the AI will be, so to speak. Right now, the AI operates in such a way that it never overloads the tires (at least by my observations). Now if the AI did push the car to the limit more often, they could be a lot faster. But would PD be able to code AI that pushed the car that hard, yet remained in control? I don't know, I'm not an expert on AI, but it seems to be something that everyone struggles with.

The only truly deadly racing AI I've seen use rubberbanding or "cheats". They've always kind of spoiled the experience though. However, I guess having them as options may not be too bad.

Renault Esacpe F1 was developed fore real so I agree such cars should be included and I have already mentioned that unique modded cars existing in real probably should feature in the game.
If you're OK with the Espace, you're OK with engine swaps. There is no difference.

custom made motorbikes or cars. I am sorry but these are useless and of no significant value.

You're dead wrong. First, you're trying to pass opinion as fact. Secondly, depending on how one defines the purpose or goal or whatever of GT, you can easily make an argument for the inclusion of engine swaps. You could do the same against engine swaps, but only if you used some narrow, arbitrary, definition of the essence of GT.

If engine swaps are useless, so is tuning. Why tune the Viper SRT-10? We have the ACR. Why add power to the F430? We have the Scud. Your argument is senseless, and I'd imagine it boils down to unreasonable favoritism of GT over Forza and other games. In other words your only reason to be against engine swaps is because GT didn't do it first, and of course GT can do no wrong, so leaving out engine swaps must be right. That's not a reason.

It definitely looks more like a finished product but in a way that now (finally) you can see were it is going.
When it was released it felt more like a Beta version, it was like Kaz said to the PD team "lets make a game with the staff that works or half works".

If GT5 was released like it is now, i am pretty sure that 80% of the complains would be
for Rims in standard cars and tracks.

The game certainly feels more complete after spec II with faster loads, more fluid menus, better endurance options, and solid gameplay..

Last edited:
I voted "No", I meant i hope it's not. Not because it lacks anything, in fact i enjoyed this game from day one, and had my moneys worth already. But I feel that GT5 is much more organic, it seems to be adapting to what the players crave, I hope it stays this way. If it does then it's going to be an awesome time between now and GT6.

to PD, GT4 tracks please, including the rally tracks.

Braking too early is something I think can be fixed. I don't know about the cornering speeds though.

If the AI was completely scripted, then yes, they could be crazy fast. But then they wouldn't be AI. And if they were ever bumped or moved out of the way, they would become useless.

True AI is obviously the way to go for a game like GT, but then you can't directly control how good the AI will be, so to speak. Right now, the AI operates in such a way that it never overloads the tires (at least by my observations). Now if the AI did push the car to the limit more often, they could be a lot faster. But would PD be able to code AI that pushed the car that hard, yet remained in control? I don't know, I'm not an expert on AI, but it seems to be something that everyone struggles with.

The only truly deadly racing AI I've seen use rubberbanding or "cheats". They've always kind of spoiled the experience though. However, I guess having them as options may not be too bad.

If you're OK with the Espace, you're OK with engine swaps. There is no difference.

You're dead wrong. First, you're trying to pass opinion as fact. Secondly, depending on how one defines the purpose or goal or whatever of GT, you can easily make an argument for the inclusion of engine swaps. You could do the same against engine swaps, but only if you used some narrow, arbitrary, definition of the essence of GT.

If engine swaps are useless, so is tuning. Why tune the Viper SRT-10? We have the ACR. Why add power to the F430? We have the Scud. Your argument is senseless, and I'd imagine it boils down to unreasonable favoritism of GT over Forza and other games. In other words your only reason to be against engine swaps is because GT didn't do it first, and of course GT can do no wrong, so leaving out engine swaps must be right. That's not a reason.

TBH I would not like this option in GT at all. Renault Escape F1 is a unique example so it is ok to be in the game however I rather prefer a F1 car to drive ;)

Upgrades and tunings is more than enough there is no need the imagination go wild and allow the option to customize stuff which can be only possible in video game and not suitable in real life. This is suppose to be realistic game 💡

This is suppose to be realistic game 💡

If it so realistic it should have engine swap! Are you so unable to see such things? Engine swap is popular and real, please for your sake shuffle off.....

IT IS REAL! Understand? Engine swap is REAL!

Whether road or track machine engine swap is REAL and POPULAR, please do kindly remove head from sand.

Well first we still need some bug fixes, the '02 S7 has the wrong fore/aft weight distribution, I'm sure some other cars might share this problem as well. 52/48 split for a MR car is a little off considering it's got a huge 7.0l Ford derived V8 back there. A few more tweaks to the main code should help balance things out some more, but I just hope they don't stop fixing until the very end of GT5's cycle.

I am sorry but I wouldn't want a modified Fiat 500 setting a lap record. That would be ridiculous or something along those lines :indiff:

You're not getting this at all are you? Nobody is suggesting that you're going to put a V12 in a Fiat 500 and beat a Ferrari 458 around a track. We're talking about putting better engines from the same manufacturer that is REALISTIC IN THE REAL WORLD.

So for your Fiat 500 example, someone might remove the 1.1L engine and put a 1.4L engine from a Fiat Punto in it. Powerwise it could perform pretty much the same as adding all of the upgrades you already can to the original 500 engine. So what's the difference?

Or sticking with the Fiat theme but a racing car example, someone might take a Fiat Punto, remove the standard, 1.4L engine and replace it with a 2.0L Turbocharged engine suitable for going rallying.

@ SimonK
There it goes ladies and gentlemen. Taking everything we say and being totally literal. It's a great way to throw off your opponent, just act stupid.

Taking what you say literally is acting stupid? Really, it seems like common sense to me.

Interiors were added because of us. Damage was added because of demand and because, "It’s was clear that Gran Turismo 5 had implemented a rarely used feature called Decal Tessellation. Without going into too much detail, the idea behind this technique is to take a displacement map texture, project it onto geometry - just like a decal – and tessellate the geometry in real time so that the displaced geometry looks like physical damage to the vehicle. Plain and simple, mimicking realistic damage on the fly."

That's all very nice and everything but that is nothing to do with your original point that things are only added when they're "done right". Standard interiors and damage, as they are currently, are not done right.

You're not getting this at all are you? Nobody is suggesting that you're going to put a V12 in a Fiat 500 and beat a Ferrari 458 around a track. We're talking about putting better engines from the same manufacturer that is REALISTIC IN THE REAL WORLD.

So for your Fiat 500 example, someone might remove the 1.1L engine and put a 1.4L engine from a Fiat Punto in it. Powerwise it could perform pretty much the same as adding all of the upgrades you already can to the original 500 engine. So what's the difference?

Or sticking with the Fiat theme but a racing car example, someone might take a Fiat Punto, remove the standard, 1.4L engine and replace it with a 2.0L Turbocharged engine suitable for going rallying.

Sure, they can allow for a set of optional engine avaliable for a car. That happens in real too.

Sure, they can allow for a set of optional engine avaliable for a car. That happens in real too.

Yes, but cross car engine swaps don't, and that is what we're talking about PD adding. You can't go into a Fiat showroom and ask for a Punto engine in your 500. You could do it yourself though.

That is probably the reson they don't allow this feature in the game. I don't see what is the fuss about it. The customizing livery and putting sticker and paint job is something as well they don't care. But I can see this make into the next game because of the helemets, racing gear and gloves options they are putting these days :rolleyes:

That is probably the reson they don't allow this feature in the game. I don't see what is the fuss about it.

What is? Just because you don't see the fuss about it, doesn't mean everybody else shares your view. Your argument against engine swaps really is non-existent. I've not seen you give one good reason not to have them.

The customizing livery and putting sticker and paint job is something as well they don't care. But I can see this make into the next game because of the helemets, racing gear and gloves options they are putting these days :rolleyes:

Who is they? PD? They've already said a livery editor is something they think about for the future, and I've seen that picture of mini pre-release that had basic stickers on it.

Then what's the point? (I really don't know :()

Back