Is The Xbox One X Too Expensive?

It's actually cheaper than I was expecting. I was expecting $700 (USD) for the new console. So $500 (USD) sounds a lot better. But for the difference in price compared to the One S that does most of the same things the X will do, I wonder if those shopping for and Xbox will just get the S because of the price and the fact that they may not have an 4K TV. I have the 2TB One S and I want a One X but if I do get the One X I won't be buying another console for a while. That will be 2 new consoles in less than 2 years. Gaming is getting expensive.

Everything gaming related is too expensive.
$500 for a console, $800 for a decent PC, $400 for a wheel, $60 per game.

It takes $1000 today to get into a decent sim racing setup.
Rant over.

The real question is what does MS have into each Xbone X.
What's the markup?

No its not expensive for the technology, in 1994/95 we were paying this for a playstation.
playstation price.jpg

Does this mean its going to be £499 in the UK?

XXI

Rant over.

What's the markup?
My biggest gripe is cost of replacement controllers. Bought a DS4 for £49 the other day, there is no justification for that price imo. The tech isn't that expensive, they must have produced 100 million controllers. So that should bring the cost of production down and thus the cost of the product. The RRP is the same as 3 years ago. I'm aware you can get it cheaper from Amazon but I needed one asap and that meant my local town.

Last edited:

My biggest gripe is cost of replacement controllers. Bought a DS4 for £49 the other day, there is no justification for that price imo. The tech isn't that expensive, they must have produced 100 million controllers. So that should bring the cost of production down and thus the cost of the product. It no, the RRP is the same as 3 years ago. I'm aware you can get it cheaper from Amazon but I needed one asap and that meant my !oval town.

Yes they're expensive here as well.
$60 for a DS4, if you want it a different color that'll be $70 please.
I don't mean to complain, It just seems counter productive for such high price points on hardware. The industry could bring them down a bit and make alot of this hardware (specifically wheels) more accessible to gamers.
I would really enjoy the new Fanatec CSL Elite, but will stick with my T150 because honestly, I just can't afford it.

My biggest gripe is cost of replacement controllers. Bought a DS4 for £49 the other day, there is no justification for that price imo. The tech isn't that expensive, they must have produced 100 million controllers. So that should bring the cost of production down and thus the cost of the product. It no, the RRP is the same as 3 years ago. I'm aware you can get it cheaper from Amazon but I needed one asap and that meant my !oval town.

Is it called captive audience or something? They've no need to reduce the price, because they have a monopoly on the legit controllers.

It's why motorway fuel is pricey. Generally speaking.

Anyways, I'd love an XB1X, but two things stop me - having to have two accounts, and that a trade-in on the PS4 is pretty cheap.

It's actually cheaper than I was expecting. I was expecting $700 (USD) for the new console. So $500 (USD) sounds a lot better. But for the difference in price compared to the One S that does most of the same things the X will do, I wonder if those shopping for and Xbox will just get the S because of the price and the fact that they may not have an 4K TV. I have the 2TB One S and I want a One X but if I do get the One X I won't be buying another console for a while. That will be 2 new consoles in less than 2 years. Gaming is getting expensive.
$700? they would have to be ****ing insane! remember the PS3 at $599? people went nuts lol.

The price is ok for the hardware, but the main problem is the lack of exclusives.

I think $499 is to be expected, & about right for this product. If one can afford a decent 4K TV, then one can probably afford this also. I can afford neither, but am happy that some people can. A mate of mine bought a PS4 Pro & a brand new 4K TV, & I say good luck to him!

:D

Well, no one is going to build a comparative/competitive PC from scratch for that price-range - hell some GPUs cost that much alone. So I could see people who have been considering making the jump into 'that level' of technical prowess (4K) for their entertainment may find the price not to hard to swallow - if they've waited/held-off this long already.

Is it a bad price for an overall solution to someone's gaming/streaming/4K-ing/etc needs? - I don't think so.
Is it a bad price for 'adding another console' to your living-room/bedroom/man-cave/cardboard-box-fort until the next cycle? - Probably, Pach has a point in terms of 'market-penetration' or w/e, it'll sell well-enough come Christmas/Holidays and then just slow to a crawl until the 'big announcement' comes.

XXI

Rant over.

What's the markup?

Tell me about it. I bought a GT Omega rig then a whole Fanatec setup plus hardware like cables, zip ties, washers, and etc. thing cost me almost $2,000. Then the CSW V2 crashed 2 weeks after barely using it. So I agree with your statement. A console alone isn't enough you'll still need a few accessories in most cases. That's more $$$. This industry is making a killing. But that's business, I guess.

A PS3 in 2007 was 1000 bucks in Australia. But I'm not sure what the ONE X would be here. I'm guessing $599 lowest and probably at least less than $800 the most

In some countries (mine included) if you consider average income, trading taxes, it gets real ugly, real fast.

What scares me is how much these products will last without being replaced again...

Last edited:
I would probably Take an option to trade in my console. Especially with Games like Project Cars 2 it should make a big difference in framerate

I would probably Take an option to trade in my console. Especially with Games like Project Cars 2 it should make a big difference in framerate

Seems the way to go.

Someone on here claimed a trade in to PS4 pro was €100, pretty decent that. I'd do similar if I had an Xbox 1...

for me it depends on the games, A.C. still kill's it for sim racing, yes GT whatever looks good but the driving is arcade like. when PC2 come out we will see. I don't have the need to upgrade just for a better looking picture. Now if it was star wars quality, which it should be I'm good to go.

The price is fine. If I was content with staying in Microsoft's walled garden, then I would already have my money set aside for it. But I've grown tired of having to buy all new peripherals when ever the newest console is released. I know the X1X is the exact opposite of that, but I still got a working fightstick and a Fanatec CSR that reminds me of the shaft I got when the Xb1 released. Both work perfectly fine on PC, and the sims I like are also better on PC, so...

It's expensive but considering that in 2000 my local Big W was selling PS2 for $1000 lol it's affordable for today's technology. But that's the way it is with prices I still think their overcharging. Considering that u need subscription, controll, wheel if you racing, decent tv or 4k then the games its self. It's not something you can afford immediately so best to work towards it.

For the specs it offers it can handle most indi developed games 4K/60 FPS. But, in my honest opinion your only getting a better GPU in the end, and a overclocked CPU from a slightly tuned FX brand chipset. I'll give MS and Turn 10 credit they know the customer wants more DLC and pre-orders, with extra hype sauce, but this strategy of hyping things is out of control for my tastes. I've been hyped before about games and the such, but that was the first mistake I have made in gaming for me. I now know not to hype hardware and or video games because they may suck.

Here's the specs from all the Xbox's released:
================
Regular X: Jaguar FX CPU: 1.75GHz 8-cores, RAM: 8 GBs DDR3, GPU: 885MHz 1.5 TeraFlops
Xbox One S: Jaguar FX CPU: 1.75GHz 8-Cores, RAM: 8 GB DDR3, GPU: 914MHz 1.4 TeraFlops
Xbox One X: Jaguar FX CPU: 2.3GHz 8-Cores, RAM 12 GB GDDR5, GPU: 1.117MHz 6.0 TeraFlops

http://kotaku.com/here-are-the-xbox-one-xs-specs-1796006060

It doesn't seem too different, except for the excessive amount of GPU upgrades this console family did get, but I am very skeptical about this, and I bet many others are too. Sure you'll be getting 4K in racing games because they are less demanding than let's say Doom, but the processor would need to upgraded a fair amount to get direct 4K resolution for the amount of stuff a game like Doom calculates in terms of performance. If I were a Xbox customer I'd stick with the regular One, Slim or the One S. Upgrades to consoles like this is a very bad idea, if Sony is about to release the PS5 in let's say 2020 or 2019 then I'd say some consumers may have made a bad decision.

That's just what I think could happen, but it's highly possible. I just think it's outrageous that we are getting Phone like upgrades. Like for example, the iPhone family goes like this: iPhone 6, 6S, and 6S+ with very minimal features applied.

A PS3 in 2007 was 1000 bucks in Australia. But I'm not sure what the ONE X would be here. I'm guessing $599 lowest and probably at least less than $800 the most
Looks like this will be the cost in Australia The Xbox One X Will Cost $649 In Australia | Kotaku Australia

The US prices are never expensive, its the rest of the world that's expensive! :lol:

It's going to be $585 USD here (£450), could have been worse I guess. Considering an equivalent PC build running at 4K it would be hard to match, the price is reasonable.

Last edited:
For the specs it offers it can handle most indi developed games 4K/60 FPS. But, in my honest opinion your only getting a better GPU in the end, and a overclocked CPU from a slightly tuned FX brand chipset. I'll give MS and Turn 10 credit they know the customer wants more DLC and pre-orders, with extra hype sauce, but this strategy of hyping things is out of control for my tastes. I've been hyped before about games and the such, but that was the first mistake I have made in gaming for me. I now know not to hype hardware and or video games because they may suck.

Here's the specs from all the Xbox's released:
================
Regular X: Jaguar FX CPU: 1.75GHz 8-cores, RAM: 8 GBs DDR3, GPU: 885MHz 1.5 TeraFlops
Xbox One S: Jaguar FX CPU: 1.75GHz 8-Cores, RAM: 8 GB DDR3, GPU: 914MHz 1.4 TeraFlops
Xbox One X: Jaguar FX CPU: 2.3GHz 8-Cores, RAM 12 GB GDDR5, GPU: 1.117MHz 6.0 TeraFlops

http://kotaku.com/here-are-the-xbox-one-xs-specs-1796006060

It doesn't seem too different, except for the excessive amount of GPU upgrades this console family did get, but I am very skeptical about this, and I bet many others are too. Sure you'll be getting 4K in racing games because they are less demanding than let's say Doom, but the processor would need to upgraded a fair amount to get direct 4K resolution for the amount of stuff a game like Doom calculates in terms of performance. If I were a Xbox customer I'd stick with the regular One, Slim or the One S. Upgrades to consoles like this is a very bad idea, if Sony is about to release the PS5 in let's say 2020 or 2019 then I'd say some consumers may have made a bad decision.

That's just what I think could happen, but it's highly possible. I just think it's outrageous that we are getting Phone like upgrades. Like for example, the iPhone family goes like this: iPhone 6, 6S, and 6S+ with very minimal features applied.

I get the point you were going for but choosing Doom to demonstrate said point isn't the best. Doom absolutely can run in 4K/60FPS on the One X. That game has one of the best optimized engines I've seen in a long time. That's the keyword: optimization. Not a potential CPU bottleneck or the fact that said CPU is more or less simply overclocked.

Still, I think the skepticism is healthy albeit for an entirely different reason than that skepticism is typically displayed. Both the One X and PS4 Pro are quite frankly anchored and are wholly incapable of providing exclusive experiences that make the best of the hardware. While I understand the reasons for going this route, I just have to ask what the actual point is.

Latest Posts

Back