Is this game worth the grab

• Thread starter IamWSPro
  • 129 comments
United States
Columbus Ohio
TheOptimusKnight
GT Sport Beta has been leaving me a little Unfulfilled due to lack of content and inkyv3 hours of online racing a day. And it's hard for me with work and kids to get to it.

Can anyone tell me if getting AC a good thing, should I wait for it to go on sale. Is there a large learning curve to jump in and be competitive.

Any thoughts would be great. I have a T300 and I'm sure it's great with that.

Thank you all in advance.

Kyle

I'd find a used copy, Assetto Corsa is a game to play in short spurts, but there's not much to do with the lack of open lobbies at the moment and no career mode, so it's really only for driving cars like Gran Turismo Arcade-Mode style.

Also, the game has a small car list to begin with and is heavy on the DLC, so I'd watch out for that too.

Overall, if you're looking for a driving simulator that's amazing with the physics and sounds, but mediocre everywhere else, go for it.

For me, I borrowed Assetto Corsa for a bit, but didn't end up getting it. I'd recommend Project CARS if you're looking for a more content-heavy game.

Of course, my opinion, so you may want to wait for the Assetto vets to come down to this thread before you make any decisions.

I'd find a used copy, Assetto Corsa is a game to play in short spurts, but there's not much to do with the lack of open lobbies at the moment and no career mode, so it's really only for driving cars like Gran Turismo Arcade-Mode style.

Also, the game has a small car list to begin with and is heavy on the DLC, so I'd watch out for that too.

Overall, if you're looking for a driving simulator that's amazing with the physics and sounds, but mediocre everywhere else, go for it.

For me, I borrowed Assetto Corsa for a bit, but didn't end up getting it. I'd recommend Project CARS if you're looking for a more content-heavy game.

Of course, my opinion, so you may want to wait for the Assetto vets to come down to this thread before you make any decisions.
It has open lobbies as of today and also a custom championship mode as well.

Personally if you are after the finest physics model on console it's an easy yes. However if you are looking for a GT clone you will want to think a bit harder about it.

With a wheel however it's excellent.

GT Sport Beta has been leaving me a little Unfulfilled due to lack of content and inkyv3 hours of online racing a day. And it's hard for me with work and kids to get to it.

Can anyone tell me if getting AC a good thing, should I wait for it to go on sale. Is there a large learning curve to jump in and be competitive.

Kyle
If you are into the driving experience as an end in itself, there is nothing better on console IMO, especially now with the recent update. Project Cars is a good game, has a good career mode and good sound and graphcis, but also has baffling FFB settings and the road cars don't have the same level of feel as race cars. IMO AC has the best overall driving experience for any game on the wheel. The cars all behave differently, lots of subtle nuance in the handling of each car and the challenges presented by laser scanning most of the tracks. If you're not used to "simulation" handling it'll take a while to pick up but should ultimately feel pretty natural.

Alright, so if I get the game as cheap as I can find it with the season pass, that should bring my total cost up to around 70-80$, but if I get the ready to race or performance pack, that would bring the total to around 90. Waiting on my next pay check then. That's a week or two out.

Alright, so if I get the game as cheap as I can find it with the season pass, that should bring my total cost up to around 70-80$, but if I get the ready to race or performance pack, that would bring the total to around 90. Waiting on my next pay check then. That's a week or two out.
If you're on PC, the base game goes on sale relatively frequently and the DLC goes on sale occasionally.

I'd say it's still worth full price since the quality of the experience is so high, but if you wanted to save some money, definitely wait a little bit. Pretty sure the Steam summer sale isn't too far off.

As for the OP, I dont know just how good the console version is and the inability to add in at least some track mods is a bit of a bummer(I think there's enough cars despite the smaller list as each one is really top notch for the most part). If you want something closer to a GT-like experience, there's not really anything available on PS4, but I'll also recommend Project Cars if you want a game with some decent single player structure and decent quantity of cars and tracks. It may not have the physics and FFB of some of the more 'hardcore' sims, but it's still a step up on Gran Turismo. You'll want to look up FFB settings from others though, as it's not great out-the-box.

Last edited:
If you're on PC, the base game goes on sale relatively frequently and the DLC goes on sale occasionally.

I'd say it's still worth full price since the quality of the experience is so high, but if you wanted to be a bit cheap about it(which there's nothing wrong), definitely wait a little bit. Pretty sure the Steam summer sale isn't too far off.

Nah, I'm on PS4 in North America's PSN store, Assetto hardly goes on sale so it's almost always priced around $50 with tax. I want to find a used copy so the price of the DLC hurts less.

Nah, I'm on PS4 in North America's PSN store, Assetto hardly goes on sale so it's almost always priced around $50 with tax. I want to find a used copy so the price of the DLC hurts less.
Hmmm, Assetto is currently in the sale on EU PSN, and it usually comes 1 - 4 weeks after NA store. It was on sale before Xmas, and about 8 weeks ago maybe. You could just buy the game then grab the season pass which will undoubtedly be in the sale imo.

Ah ok.

It'll probably be worth waiting a bit just for the new AI improvements from the new PC update to trickle down to the console versions. It's a legit game-changer and should end most of the 'AC is only good for hotlapping' complaints(which were semi-justified before).

Ah ok.

It'll probably be worth waiting a bit just for the new AI improvements from the new PC update to trickle down to the console versions. It's a legit game-changer and should end most of the 'AC is only good for hotlapping' complaints(which were semi-justified before).

Just wondering, which DLC pack is the Ferrari 488 GT3 in?

I was lucky enough to get the game new at GameStop for $19.99 that's right $19.99 US currency. I was shocked! I had no idea why it was so cheap. Since then it's been heightened to $49.99. long story short. If I would have payed full price I would have been very disappointed. Since it's updates and DLC this game turned from a 6/10 to a solid 9/10. The PS4 needs more people online but overall.l it challenging and engaging. I say go for it!

Kyle

Can not comment on the PS4 version; i've it on PC and it is beyond popular (the only other racing simulator that is more popular is iRacing)

The PS4 version is 70% off !! (Last day is may 25th). Would guess that would be around 17 pounds if you're in the UK.
I would grab it with the DLC season pass without thinking twice.

IMG_1051.PNG

In my opinion..... probably not.

It's ok for hotlapping, everything else is just meh. I bought it for £20 plus £10 for the season pass, which you really need if you like race cars because the vanilla game is full of road cars at an alarming ratio compared to race cars which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Physics wise it's good, nothing like the silly (over)hype would suggest though, although it seems to really shine at the Nordschleife for some reason, like they really took care to nail the feel and physics there and elsewhere it's just average to good.

Sound is good, on a par with PCars although sounding different (Pcars is more of a prominent engine sound while AC is more drivetrain) and streets ahead of the laughable GT sounds.

Graphics, well passable at best.

Career. Don't bother, you'll fall asleep with boredom.

Special events. Fun for people who like stuff like that, otherwise boring.

If you can pick it up for £10 and the season pass for £10 then it's alright, I wouldn't pay any more for it though.

Physics wise it's good, nothing like the silly (over)hype would suggest though, although it seems to really shine at the Nordschleife for some reason, like they really took care to nail the feel and physics there and elsewhere it's just average to good.

The Nürburgring has several elevation and camber changes, which should explain why the physics feel particularly great there.

Not sure what you mean about "silly (over)hype".

Is there anything better on consoles? No.
Is it the better driving experience you'll have on consoles? Yes.

If there's any hype around AC, it's because of this and it's perfectly justifiable.

Do consoles even have another racing game which simulates cars as deeply as AC does? Not only does AC simulate several car-specific engineering traits, but there's also the variety of car-dependent commands: TC levels, ABS levels, turbo boost levels, brake balance, MGUs, KERS, DRS, etc. People aren't getting such depth with Gran Turismo and Forza, but I have no idea how far Project CARS goes in terms of car-specific simulation. Regardless, that's another big reason to choose AC over the "more than several hundred cars" type of console racing games where all cars appear to share the same universal physics engine. AC is not just a great physics engine, it's more or less a simulation of every single car it features. I won't argue that Kunos got everything 100% right, but at least they're trying hard where other developers tend to just mass produce content.

Back