I've never played GT1

JohnBM01
By the way, I'm committed to GT4, so I don't usually go to other GT forums.
Hey aren't we all, besides haven't you heard that 'Retro' is the new black!!!

JohnBM01
Here's a small tip for you. If you sell a car, usually you'll get 10,000 Cr back if you sell it to someone else. But sell it to the right car company, and you get 12,000 Cr. I think this only applies to cars you've won, though. And that can be ANY winned car. Anything from an A-Spec Demio to a black Castrol Supra GT.
Generalizing...

Other cars are 50% of their purchase price if sold to another dealer, and 60% of their purchase price if sold to the dealer who makes the car.

When selling cars, there is no credit for extra parts or modifications, but all removable modifications will remain around until you purchase that same model of car again. (Note a prize and a non-prize count as two different models, even if they're essentially identical, e.g. DB7 Coupe is a different model from prize DB7 Coupe). Put another way, removable modifications (e.g. tires, exhaust, even NA tune and turbo) can be "shared" between an arbitrary number of instances of the same model. The only non-removable modifications are WR1,WR2,WR3, port polishing and engine balancing, and, of course, race modification. And this sharing can even be done if no instance of the car was owned for some period of time. You get an infinite life-time supply of all removable parts when you purchase them.

Another gotcha. You can't sell the B license prize Concept Car, although you can buy as many copies as you want (for Cr0).

Another cute feature is that you do not need to do weight-reduction before you do race-modification. In a monetary sense, doing weight-reduction before race-modification is a waste (although in some cases it might be strategically useful, although if the car is cheap enough to get another copy of, you might as well keep a race-mod and non-racemod copy, since they can share parts...)

When you purchase a prize-car via memory card trade, the price is always Cr20000 for non-race models, and Cr35000 for race models. If you read the blurbs (around memory card trade?) carefully, you'll see them refer to a "licensing fee". That's what they're talking about. The "value" of all prizes is Cr20000 (that's why Cr10000 or Cr12000 when selling), but there is a Cr15000 "licensing fee" you must pay when you purchase a race-modified prize car. I think it applies to a race-modified purchased car, too, but you'd need to add up the value of all parts and modifications to verify.

Oh yes, another gotcha. If you are buying another copy of a car you already have, and for which you have all parts, you might as well remove as many parts as possible, because you pay for any fitted removable parts even if you have them already. That can be tricky to do, of course, because you need to load the game you are trading from to do it.

There are actually some bugs, I think, around the area of buying cars with fitted parts. I think if you buy a car with fitted parts you do not already own, you will be unable to re-fit them if you remove them, and need to repurchase them. Or something-like-that.

Just a few tid-bits I happen to remember...

Whenever I play against people I play them in Gran Tursimo rather than the later versions. I love this game to bits. For me a 10/10 where are GT2 gets a 9.5.

liam2maps
Whenever I play against people I play them in Gran Tursimo rather than the later versions. I love this game to bits. For me a 10/10 where are GT2 gets a 9.5.

I wouldn't even give GT2 that much.

It's awesome to see some PAL users on these parts.

*Waves to Aussies, and Englishmen*

And yeah SportWagon gave a nice explaination there. Always helpful he is.

ViperCLK-GTR
Why does everyone dislike GT2, I think it is 10 times better than GT1?

Because of the gameplay, the graphics and the bugs. That's 3 reason's.

ViperCLK-GTR
Why does everyone dislike GT2, I think it is 10 times better than GT1?

I like GT2 and GT1, but a lot of the cars in the 2nd game have crappy graphix...mostly it's that they've got way too much shine. Some of them (like the Aston Martin DB6 Vantage, for instance) are simply beautiful tho. The game is very inconsistent.

The main advantages of the 2nd game are (obviously) all those cars, and the newer tracks like Grindelwäld and Rome are sweet. But Super Speedway and Tahiti, on the other hand, look crappy or have too much pop-up & drop-out of buildings. I like the physics of GT2 better, though.

GT1 is a lot more consistent, and I love the fact that the car wash actually works. It's a lot tougher than the 2nd game, too. It has qualifying, the license tests are frustratingly harder, and the turbos & gear ratio charts are a lot more realistic. I'd give GT1 higher points than GT2, but personally I like the 2nd game better cuz it has more European & American cars. I got bored with GT1 after 4 months cuz it's got like 97% Japanese cars.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I like GT2 and GT1, but a lot of the cars in the 2nd game have crappy graphix...mostly it's that they've got way too much shine. Some of them (like the Aston Martin DB6 Vantage, for instance) are simply beautiful tho. The game is very inconsistent.

The main advantages of the 2nd game are (obviously) all those cars, and the newer tracks like Grindelwäld and Rome are sweet. But Super Speedway and Tahiti, on the other hand, look crappy or have too much pop-up & drop-out of buildings. I like the physics of GT2 better, though.

GT1 is a lot more consistent, and i love the fact that the car wash actually works. It's a lot tougher than the 2nd game, too. It has qualifying, the license tests are frustratingly harder, and the turbos & gear ratio charts are a lot more realistic. I'd give GT1 higher points than gT2, but personally i like the 2nd game better cuz it has more European & American cars. I got bored with GT1 after 4 months cuz it's got like 97% Japanese cars.

Not much to add really. Except of course you are wrong. I get bored playing GT2, the racing is such a let down against the compitition. All those cars but many of them are pretty much the same. Still I play both games so...

TMM
Not much to add really. Except of course you are wrong. I get bored playing GT2, the racing is such a let down against the compitition. All those cars but many of them are pretty much the same. Still I play both games so...

GT2 only becomes boring if you don't challenge yourself. If you enter an escudo or Toyota GT-One in all the free races, for instance, of COURSE it's gonna be boring! But try racing a showroom-floor Viper or Corvette Grand Sport in those events, and you'll find it's more of a challenge. Another option for those free races is to try racing the best of the best cars on Normal tires instead of SuperSofts!

If you're a math freak, try going to my web page http://community.webtv.net/thebeast66/ParnelliBonesGT2 ...I made a whole list of pound to power ratios that make the game a lot more challenging. It'll ruin your win ratio, though. I find that I lose about one out of every 3 races I enter, but it's better than just winning all the time.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
GT2 only becomes boring if you don't challenge yourself. If you enter an escudo or Toyota GT-One in all the free races, for instance, of COURSE it's gonna be boring! But try racing a showroom-floor Viper or Corvette Grand Sport in those events, and you'll find it's more of a challenge. Another option for those free races is to try racing the best of the best cars on Normal tires instead of SuperSofts!

If you're a math freak, try going to my web page http://community.webtv.net/thebeast66/ParnelliBonesGT2 ...i made a whole list of pound to power ratios that make the game a lot more challenging. It'll ruin your win ratio, though. I find that i lose about one out of every 3 races i enter, but it's better than just winning all the time.

You mis-understand me, its not because I want to win all the time, I haven't won every race in GT but I have enjoyed racing all the time. Even the Demio @ GVS was enjoyable because it was a test of my gear ratio's and I was interested to see where I would come, 5th in the end but better than I thought it would be.

TMM
You mis-understand me, its not because I want to win all the time, I haven't won every race in GT but I have enjoyed racing all the time. Even the Demio @ GVS was enjoyable because it was a test of my gear ratio's and I was interested to see where I would come, 5th in the end but better than I thought it would be.

I'm confused. If you're actively challenging yourself in GT2, how can you be bored with it? For me, the lack of race series (GT2 is mostly spot races if you think about it) kinda sucks, but this is offset with all the 600 cars in the game.

parnelli bone
i made a whole list of pound to power ratios that make the game a lot more challenging. It'll ruin your win ratio, though. I find that i lose about one out of every 3 races i enter, but it's better than just winning all the time.

your a man after my own heart parnelli. the challenge of gran turismo is challenging yourself. your the greatest competitor that will ever challenge you. im always trying to win races against ridu#iculous odds. and more importantly, to do it fairly. there are some great challenges on all the gran turismo games, but to see them, you have to go beyond the whole winning and losing stygma.

i posted in this discussion regarding the gt300 and gt500 series (see below):

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55163

also, i wrote a discussion about gt3 and its power-to-weight-ratio based artificial intelegence. read it here (i apologise in advance for the state of the tables):

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25304&page=2&pp=20

ZAGGIN
your a man after my own heart parnelli. the challenge of gran turismo is challenging yourself. your the greatest competitor that will ever challenge you. im always trying to win races against ridu#iculous odds. and more importantly, to do it fairly. there are some great challenges on all the gran turismo games, but to see them, you have to go beyond the whole winning and losing stygma.

i posted in this discussion regarding the gt300 and gt500 series (see below):

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55163

also, i wrote a discussion about gt3 and its power-to-weight-ratio based artificial intelegence. read it here (i apologise in advance for the state of the tables):

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25304&page=2&pp=20

Thank you. I saw that whole GT300 & 500 discussion. The Seattle Enduro with an Alto Works was new for me, tho. It always cracks me up to see some dude all excited cuz he got way ahead of the pack in an escudo with super soft tires on it. It's too bad Gt4 isn't going online like Sony promised...it would be a great way to separate the men from the boys!

Last edited:
To come back to this thread, I'm playing GT1 right now. I'm actually listening to some of the music. So some of the music wasn't WipeOut quality, but I think it's been some of the better tunes in the GT series. I found few favorites with GT2. GT1 had kind of the just right music as there was mostly techno and some rock. My favorites:

Menu Music:
TVR; Honda/Acura; Nissan

In-Game:
Ash - "Lose Control" (nice little guitar riff later in the song); ??? - "Come My Way" (?)

Some of you may know that I love street race courses. Special Stage Routes 5 and 11 kind of look the best to me even though they aren't graphically superior in Gran Turismo 1. SSR11 is tougher in GT1 because of those tricky 90-degree turns after Turn 7. When you go under the main straight, you'll see the "bus stop" chicane. Clearing it requires great control and reminding yourself on and off again "Don't hit the walls here!" Because if you do, you'll be losing valuable seconds. One thing I liked most about this track is that cool view after lap one here. The camera zooms and looks at the roof of your car. I really like watching the demo video of the Kunimitsu NSX race SSR11, coming back from a spin to win the race.

One other note. Some of the car colors for the racing models were rather weird. Who'd want a black Subaru Impreza Rally Car? A Castrol Supra that's white with red/BLUE accents rather than the traditional red/green? Or you can win a Castrol Supra GT that's BLACK with red/gold accents. And the worst LM car I raced with? No question- the Honda Del Sol LM.

Speaking of challenges and fun, I was bored earlier today and ended winning the GT cup in a modded Civic. Won all Races but didn't Qualify too well. I didn't bother saving I just wanted to see how well I could do. a 265 HP Civic can still down a soft-tuned NSX given you know how to bring the NSX down. Was hard though.

JohnBM01
One other note. Some of the car colors for the racing models were rather weird. Who'd want a black Subaru Impreza Rally Car? A Castrol Supra that's white with red/BLUE accents rather than the traditional red/green? Or you can win a Castrol Supra GT that's BLACK with red/gold accents.
I think that last one is still blue or green with the red.

But it can be useful having cars in their official colours with only slight differences. A friend of mine complained that if he races a friend in GT3 in identical copies of any of the true-to-life race cars, they can't tell their cars apart in the replays. (Or occasionally, maybe, even in the race). They're only using arcade-mode too, so they can't even change rims.

liam2maps
Speaking of challenges and fun, I was bored earlier today and ended winning the GT cup in a modded Civic. Won all Races but didn't Qualify too well. I didn't bother saving I just wanted to see how well I could do. a 265 HP Civic can still down a soft-tuned NSX given you know how to bring the NSX down. Was hard though.

I remember getting 2nd place in the GT Cup (not the World Cup, of course) with an Accord Wagon. That made for some great replays!

Then too, I think the black Castrol Supra with red/green accents was actually LESS powerful than the one you can buy for 500,000 Cr. Basically in Gran Turismo 4, when you got 500,000 Cr, you have some options as to what you want to have for a Special Model. Your choices include Honda/Acura's NSX LM GT2, Nissan's Skyline GT-R LM, Subaru's Impreza Rally Car, Mazda's RX-7 LM, Mitsubishi's 3000GT LM, or of course, Toyota's Castrol Supra GT. The Supra GT was pretty nice even if it sounded like someone farting when idle. It is a beast to race with, and I have that car in my [virtual] garage in GT2. Now JGTC rides are more modest in terms of horsepower. The JGTC Supras packed about 680hp, now they are nowhere near 500- around 480 to be exact.

I don't know what it is about GT1 I liked the most over any GT afterwards. Maybe I just liked SSR11. It looked to be in a better setting and looks better even though it's aging compared to the most recent one. I think people talk about the most recent iteration of Deep Forest compared to this one. For those who raced the latest DF, how does the newer version compare to this one in GT1? I read about a lot of trees missing, and such.

Parnelli Bone
I'm confused. If you're actively challenging yourself in GT2, how can you be bored with it? For me, the lack of race series (GT2 is mostly spot races if you think about it) kinda sucks, but this is offset with all the 600 cars in the game.

I'm challenging myself in GT, not GT2. That's why I get bored with GT2, as someone said earlier, it is mostly made up of single races.

Back