IZOD IndyCar Series | Champions - JoeOfTheFire & Team Penske

  • Thread starter Thread starter cgr-10
  • 1,454 comments
  • 61,035 views

Where should we go for Round 7?


  • Total voters
    15
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the room did well 'bug' wise too. I expected you to have to call it off with 15 in the room, encouraging stuff!

Yeah, we had a nearly full room, a mix of wheels and DS3s, a load of mics, visible damage on, tyre/fuel wear on, and the bug somehow didn't happen. 👍

I was halfway through counting lap leaders, but I had apparently missed a lap somewhere as my count was off by 1 (no it wasn't the pace lap, before you suggest it). Time to start over. At the point I'd gotten to before seeing the missed lap, it was close for most laps led and we had had 8 lap leaders so far.
 
I am trying my 90's DTM this wed so fingers crossed for that.
You got someone making you a vid of todays proceedings?
 
Not that I know of, don't think anybody here has video capturing equipment. But if anybody does, feel free :p
 
I didn't say anything about the wavearounds because we had enough going on already, but a wavearound is only for the cars between the pace car and the leader under caution. I believe they are normally waved round as soon as they reach the pace car, since the pace car's aim is to pick up the race leader.
 
I had to turn on my mic, I couldn't hear what you guys were saying. The wind, engine, and transmission block out your voices. :indiff: Well, blur them sort of lol.

What is a wavearound? I didn't get that.
 
I had to turn on my mic, I couldn't hear what you guys were saying. The wind, engine, and transmission block out your voices. :indiff: Well, blur them sort of lol.

What is a wavearound? I didn't get that.

A wavearound is where lap down cars between the leader and the pace car get "waved around" by the pace car. Wikipedia probably explains it better than me.

I finished counting lap leaders, so here they are:

Joe: 31
Matty: 18
Knelly: 11
LV: 6
Tom: 5
Mustard: 4
M-Stall: 2
Anarchy: 1
Smuffy: 1

Sadly my count is off by 1 again (79 instead of 80), but the extra 1 won't make a difference to who gets the bonus point(s) for leading the most laps.
 
DrifterJoe
I didn't say anything about the wavearounds because we had enough going on already, but a wavearound is only for the cars between the pace car and the leader under caution. I believe they are normally waved round as soon as they reach the pace car, since the pace car's aim is to pick up the race leader.

This was my belief going into the race, is that confirmed now? Only the cars between leader and pace get the wavearound?
 
This was my belief going into the race, is that confirmed now? Only the cars between leader and pace get the wavearound?

Yes confirmed. I think the issue was other people making up the rules as they went and not listening to the safety car and me/Joe. That's why I'm insisting on total silence down the mics in a caution period 👍

EDIT: Tables/Official race results are on the OP 👍 If you're still unsure of who your team mate is after all the confusion, they're all on the OP aswell.
 
Last edited:
Guys, all in all, I had a blast last night and want to do it again right now!

I was under a friends account, using his car, away from home and it took me a while to settle in. I hadn't been in this car since the last season collapsed and the first ten or so laps were heart thumpingly intense for me. I was scared :lol:

I don't have the replay to watch back I'm afraid but I think I made two errors in the race. 1) I got waved around twice in one Caution by Brett, going from two laps down to being on the lead lap, and 2) I believe I may have pitted while they were closed. Penalise me as you see fit Tom.

The main issues in the race were two drivers in particular, but I beleive this has now been sorted.

Not making an issue of this but I believe I had the 'bug' last night. I'm pretty certain I set my transmission correct but, I could never pass a car on a straight, whereas others (Matty and Cowboy in particular) found it very easy to pass me. With us all hitting the limiter at the same speed, I don't believe this should have been the case, and could have made more places up if the 'bug' actually allowed me to pass.

Pretty gutted with the end result though. I was in the lead at the last caution, and with the confusion over whether caution is called or not, I lost focus and control, received damage, had to pit, and finished 8th. I should have been in a podium position at least.

All throughout I was caught up in approx 5 incidents, with none of them being my fault. I was very happy with clawing back to first with ten or so laps left, from being two down, but should never have been in that position in the first place.

Saying all that, again, I had a blast.

Go Team Penske.
 
Oh well, thats okay, Indy is hard. Not ready for those yet. I need alot of work.

Trips is not a bad person. He is a good person.
 
Guys, all in all, I had a blast last night and want to do it again right now!

I was under a friends account, using his car, away from home and it took me a while to settle in. I hadn't been in this car since the last season collapsed and the first ten or so laps were heart thumpingly intense for me. I was scared :lol:

I don't have the replay to watch back I'm afraid but I think I made two errors in the race. 1) I got waved around twice in one Caution by Brett, going from two laps down to being on the lead lap, and 2) I believe I may have pitted while they were closed. Penalise me as you see fit Tom.

The main issues in the race were two drivers in particular, but I beleive this has now been sorted.

Not making an issue of this but I believe I had the 'bug' last night. I'm pretty certain I set my transmission correct but, I could never pass a car on a straight, whereas others (Matty and Cowboy in particular) found it very easy to pass me. With us all hitting the limiter at the same speed, I don't believe this should have been the case, and could have made more places up if the 'bug' actually allowed me to pass.

Pretty gutted with the end result though. I was in the lead at the last caution, and with the confusion over whether caution is called or not, I lost focus and control, received damage, had to pit, and finished 8th. I should have been in a podium position at least.

All throughout I was caught up in approx 5 incidents, with none of them being my fault. I was very happy with clawing back to first with ten or so laps left, from being two down, but should never have been in that position in the first place.

Saying all that, again, I had a blast.

Go Team Penske.

As you say, most of these issues have been resolved mate. Not sure about the transmission, all I talked to were topping out at 231 and I was the same. You should have really finished higher and I did wonder with 3 laps to go, where the hell has Knelly gone? :lol:

I'd like to say that there will be no penalties given out for this race due to the immense amount of incidents mostly caused by two drivers. I'm just going to give general warnings to everybody on the grid:

1. Lapped cars NEED to give way to lead lap traffic, there is no point fighting for position and causing a massive accident which ruins the races of all the front runners.

2. As has been said, LISTEN to ME, JOE and BERTY during caution periods. Everybody else should be silent unless it's about something desperately important.

3. No Overtaking under caution. This should be a given but I've seen a lot of it on the replay.

4. Do not take the wave around unless instructed to. People were making up their own rules last night, the only cars given the wave around are the cars between the safety car and the leader.

5. Don't shout 'CAUTION, CAUTION' down the mic when one car has spun out of a pack. It's generally 2+ car incidents, and in any case race control should be making these decisions, not the drivers. If you see an incident and have a mic, call it out to us and tell us what's happened, then we can decide whether a caution is necessary.

And regarding the incident on the last corner, Joe has informed me that smuffy clipped the grass which sent him wide into the pack of cars, namely Rich and LV. I've watched it back and there is no malicious intent, it's simply a racing incident. Everybody is going like hell on the last lap anyway and the slightest nudge is going to cause an accident, it's unfortunate but it would be unfair to strip smuffy of his win for an accidental hit.
 
TomMcD
As you say, most of these issues have been resolved mate. Not sure about the transmission, all I talked to were topping out at 231 and I was the same. You should have really finished higher and I did wonder with 3 laps to go, where the hell has Knelly gone? :lol:

I'd like to say that there will be no penalties given out for this race due to the immense amount of incidents mostly caused by two drivers. I'm just going to give general warnings to everybody on the grid:

1. Lapped cars NEED to give way to lead lap traffic, there is no point fighting for position and causing a massive accident which ruins the races of all the front runners.

2. As has been said, LISTEN to ME, JOE and BERTY during caution periods. Everybody else should be silent unless it's about something desperately important.

3. No Overtaking under caution. This should be a given but I've seen a lot of it on the replay.

4. Do not take the wave around unless instructed to. People were making up their own rules last night, the only cars given the wave around are the cars between the safety car and the leader.

5. Don't shout 'CAUTION, CAUTION' down the mic when one car has spun out of a pack. It's generally 2+ car incidents, and in any case race control should be making these decisions, not the drivers. If you see an incident and have a mic, call it out to us and tell us what's happened, then we can decide whether a caution is necessary.

And regarding the incident on the last corner, Joe has informed me that smuffy clipped the grass which sent him wide into the pack of cars, namely Rich and LV. I've watched it back and there is no malicious intent, it's simply a racing incident. Everybody is going like hell on the last lap anyway and the slightest nudge is going to cause an accident, it's unfortunate but it would be unfair to strip smuffy of his win for an accidental hit.

Good series control mate. Keep it up and with the already core drivers we have here, this will go very well.

I don't expect MStall to struggle on the Roads, like he dud last night. HSR is going to bring a whole new dimension to this league already. I expect changes all around the table by this time next week.

Now, to get ready for Route X NASCAR tonight. Can't wait.

EDIT: Oh and Brett. Suggest having the word caution typed and prepared to send when one happens. It's feels like some can't hear over car noises, that don't have mic.
 
Good series control mate. Keep it up and with the already core drivers we have here, this will go very well.

I don't expect MStall to struggle on the Roads, like he dud last night. HSR is going to bring a whole new dimension to this league already. I expect changes all around the table by this time next week.

Now, to get ready for Route X NASCAR tonight. Can't wait.

Thanks again, it should do 👍

Definitely, Joe and MStall are the road course ringers which should mean Target and Penske will have a pretty interesting fight in the constructors :sly:

Don't know if I'll be there at SSRX tonight, I'll see how I feel after TOCA.

EDIT: Agree on the caution typing.
 
I will take a break from this season and come back in 2 weeks
 
I will take a break from this season and come back in 2 weeks

Or 2 years.

Taken some rushed pics, will put them on in a minute 👍
 
Ok ill type cautions, you must insist people adjust settings so they can hear though. We will get it right :D
 
Green.jpg

Green Flag!

PenskePit.jpg

Team Penske make a splash and dash pit stop on Joe's car under caution.

PitLane.jpg

The pit lane buzzing with activity during a caution.

T1Restart.jpg

The field barrels into turn 1 after a restart.

T4Accident.jpg

Smuffy collides with LV and Rich coming out of T4 on the last lap. Me and Joe dodge the spinning cars.

Podium.jpg

But smuffy flies past both of us, through the crash and onto the finish in a Wheldon-esque move. A fitting tribute to the two-time Indy 500 winner, and now smuffy has won the most famous open wheel race in the world two times also. Joe takes second and I drop to third out of the draft.
 
That race was an adventure last night. The first half of the race went great for me, I avoided most of the trouble and was right in the lead pack up until about halfway. Then there was a weird lag incident up which caused me to get damage that required an unscheduled pit stop. It got me a lap down and from there I never recovered. Everytime I would get my lap back, something would happen under yellow (usually a certain two drivers swerving around the track) that would cause me to get more damage, which required more pits, which created a vicious cycle that was the product of being stuck in traffic. Thus, I feel I had a car capable of winning, and I was simply bit by bad luck.
 
That race was an adventure last night. The first half of the race went great for me, I avoided most of the trouble and was right in the lead pack up until about halfway. Then there was a weird lag incident up which caused me to get damage that required an unscheduled pit stop. It got me a lap down and from there I never recovered. Everytime I would get my lap back, something would happen under yellow (usually a certain two drivers swerving around the track) that would cause me to get more damage, which required more pits, which created a vicious cycle that was the product of being stuck in traffic. Thus, I feel I had a car capable of winning, and I was simply bit by bad luck.

I remember that, we were in a caution and you seemed to vanish from in front of me. I checked my mirrors and you were spinning out behind.
 
Getting wrecked under caution 3 times under caution. :(
 
Great pics but I was inconsolable to see no shots of the safety car :(
After all I did complete 28 laps !!!!! :lol:
 
Great pics but I was inconsolable to see no shots of the safety car :(
After all I did complete 28 laps !!!!! :lol:

I had a pic of you leading the pack but it got lost while transferring to my laptop somehow :dunce:

Haha 28 laps, unbelievable! :lol:
 
berty1979
Great pics but I was inconsolable to see no shots of the safety car :(
After all I did complete 28 laps !!!!! :lol:

:lol:

That means 7 cautions? Seen worse IRL.
 
:lol:

That means 7 cautions? Seen worse IRL.

That's a fair point, though most of them races would have been around 500 miles long :lol:
 
It was fun, felt like i could've got a top 3. Unfortunately a few family issues popped up and I had to leave around half way. Justs means I got to make up some points from here on out.

I agree that those without mics fix there audio so that they'll be able to hear clearly.

Also, went to test and my only weight options were 720 & 730.
 
Last edited:
TomMcD
That's a fair point, though most of them races would have been around 500 miles long :lol:

Remember as well mate, it was one hell of a race to start the season with, with a bunch of new runners and an excellent turnout. It was always going to be a wildcard race.

Does this now mean if Smuffy starts at the rear of the field in the final race and wins, then he wins $10m?

Or maybe an 'up to' ÂŁ1m car from all other drivers. Adds something to the end if the season :)
 
Remember as well mate, it was one hell of a race to start the season with, with a bunch of new runners and an excellent turnout. It was always going to be a wildcard race.

Does this now mean if smuffy ;) starts at the rear of the field in the final race and wins, then he wins $10m?

Or maybe an 'up to' ÂŁ1m car from all other drivers. Adds something to the end if the season :)

That's a pretty damn awesome idea mate, well up for that. I'll PM him :)
 
Tom I am so sorry, I couldn't hear you.
 
7 cautions!
Every time I lit up my smoke the little triangles went spinning round, I nearly swallowed it at one point. I had to :lol: when I called a caution so fast my mechanics were still changing my wheels.
Did you ever find out why those two cars parked in the middle of the track on the start line mid race?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back