Junior Formula. Discussion of F2, F3, F4, Formula Renault, TRS, W-Series, Indy Lights, etcOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 604 comments
This season of the Formula 4 Australia will be the last.

Honestly I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has with such small grids.

This replaced Formula Ford and in the process killed both.

That series had a stupid amount of cars on the grid, the change to Formula 4 has ruined Junior Open Wheel racing in this country.

Kyle Kirkwood is now within six points of Rasmus Lindh for the Indy Pro 2000 Championship. 4 races to go and he is on a VERY hot streak. Definitely one to watch coming into the penultimate rounds.
Now he has a 20 point lead heading into Laguna Seca.

You specifically said that you wished it went to Hockenheim...

I most certainly did not say that
- not sure if I’m purpose or coincidence, but there were no W-Series races on circuits that F3 races on. Hockenheim would have been perfect to make comparisons, but since there were no similar tracks, we can’t compare W-Series lap times to F3 lap times.

Hockenheim would have been the perfect track to make comparisons on. Since F3 didn’t race at Hockenheim this year, we can’t make that comparison.

I’m fully aware that W-Series raced at Hockenheim. You seem to be completely unaware that F3 did not race at Hockenheim this year.

Looks like the F2 field is down to 18 cars this weekend.

17. Alesi, Hubert and Correa's cars were impounded by the Belgian authorities, and as there is only a week gap between races the teams don't have time to build a new car from scratch, so Trident, Arden and Charouz are all just running one car. Alesi will use the team's other car as Boschung is struggling for money at the moment, and it gives Arden and Charouz more time to find replacement drivers (if they want some) before Sochi.

I’ve never seen a car reach such a height like Peroni’s car did. Incredible that he walked away considering the way it landed. Probably wasn’t the way they expected the halo to save someone’s life, but it undoubtedly saved his.

Hopefully no Marshall injuries due to the debris.

I thought the point of run-off is to enable the drivers to drive safely back onto the track. Is that a big sausage kerb on the exit of the Parabolica?

Idiots
Idiots
Idiots

"That's not what we meant when we said 'take your flying lap', Alex"

Glad to see he's okay, Halo definitely saved the day here, I agree

All kerbs in Parabolica will be removed right now (before training 3 of F1 will start)
So now all the F1 drivers will run 2 miles wide through parabolica. Paved runoff is so bloody stupid, only topped by sausage curbs. If they’re going to keep the Tarmac, at least put a grass strip between the circuit and runoff like at Fuji’s 100R, or just turn the whole thing back to gravel. Yes, gravel can flip a car over, but flipping a car his a hell of a lot better than sending it to the moon, or worse, having it roll back towards the circuit.

Paved runoff. We’ve tried it, it’s terrible. Time to move on to the next idea.

There’s more than enough room for Monza to push back the barriers surrounding Parabolica. There’s nothing behind that barrier except trees, a field, and the old Sud Curve, which is basically a pile of rubble at this point.

I wanted to comment on the Formula 4 Australia thing. I recall once of a series in Australia called Formula Holden. It's sad this F4 Australia category won't continue after this year. Besides this soon-to-be-axed series, I don't know if there are any real big open-wheel racing series in Australia.

Earlier, I chimed in about the W Series. I don't know what potential shelf life this series has, but I would like to see the series evolve and perhaps find more female racing talent. I think I did great finding talent worldwide. What I would want to see is them have more of a proper World Championship. So I want to see the W Series land some races in North and/or South America, Asia, and Oceania in addition to the European venues. With the right package of marketing and intrigue, the W Series can actually evolve and better. I am always thinking hopefully and positively a lot, and I try to give things a chance and realistic predictions of the future.

W Series has announced the list of applicants for the 2020 season. The 2 names that stand out for me are Abbie Eaton ("The Grand Tour's" resident test driver) and Katherine Legge. Legge more so for me, since she has already driven at a level considered above W Series. For me, I see W Series putting a positive spin on "attracting big names" to the series, but it's a backwards step for the identity of W Series watching drivers step down to the series. Interested to see whether my opinion is shared or contrasting to the masses though...

W Series has announced the list of applicants for the 2020 season. The 2 names that stand out for me are Abbie Eaton ("The Grand Tour's" resident test driver) and Katherine Legge. Legge more so for me, since she has already driven at a level considered above W Series. For me, I see W Series putting a positive spin on "attracting big names" to the series, but it's a backwards step for the identity of W Series watching drivers step down to the series. Interested to see whether my opinion is shared or contrasting to the masses though...
Katherine Legge??? As in, former Indycar driver, former Delta Wing driver, current IMSA GTD driver....is going back to Formula 3? Ooo...k....

Next it will be announced that Nico Rosberg will contest the F3 championship in hopes of getting his F1 career back on track.

Katherine Legge has been a huge proponent for women in racing so I could see her doing this in a promotional way and giving credibility to the series by having a well known driver involved.

Katherine Legge has been a huge proponent for women in racing so I could see her doing this in a promotional way and giving credibility to the series by having a well known driver involved.
Ya I suppose that’s the angle that all involved will approach it from, but doesn’t her taking up a seat in the series kind of run contrary to the idea of “giving opportunity to those who would otherwise not have a race seat.”

I also don’t see really what good will come of it. If she dominates the series, it’ll make every other driver on the grid look bad, potentially hurt their chances of earning future drives. If she doesn’t dominate the series....what does it say about her abilities? That a current pro driver, IMSA race winner, is unable to compete with some teenage girls who have all of 2-3 years of racing experience under their belt...would not be a good look for her.

Have they announced the size of the W-Series grid next year? The top 12 drivers from 2019 will be invited back, I think the assumption right now is that majority of those 12 will return (maybe Chadwick and Garcia might do F3, but wouldn’t at all be surprised if they were in W-Series next year). Then add on veteran drivers like Legge, Eaton, Danica Patrick, Michelle Muton, etc....exactly how many seats will be available for new, up-and-coming female talent?

I remember a few years back, Nelson Piquet Jr entered the Pau round of the Euro F3 Championship (was around 2015, maybe 2016), but was barred from competing at the last minute, with the rule makers deciding he was too old or something, or that it was stupid to have an F1 driver on an F3 grid.

The field is supposed to be 18 drivers, but midway through the year they let one of the reserves in for her home race (Keszthelyi I think), and then let the 2 reserves continue anyway after Kimilainen returned from her injury.

I should add that so far Legge has only applied for a seat and will have to earn her place like the other drivers hoping to gain one of the freed up spaces after the top 12 likely return. I'm pretty sure Garcia was clear that her entrance into the Toyota winter series was in a bid to earn experience ready for W Series season 2, not F3. Chadwick has stated she is looking at F3 but wants to be in a competitive (more expensive) team...

midway through the year they let one of the reserves in for her home race (Keszthelyi I think)
(emphasis mine)

I didn't follow the series really but knew about Keszthelyi is we're from the same country (her name means "from Keszthely", funnily enough a name of a city pretty close to mine) - given that she actually didn't have a home race per se as there was no Hungarian round. Nevertheless, thanks for mentioning her, just went through the results and saw that she was in 4 races altogether.

It was likely the other reserve then, as it was the race at Zolder where the home reserve got her drive and then subsequently kept it.

Kyle Kirkwood wins the Indy Pro 2000 Championship by 2 points over Rasmus Lindh! I’m telling y’all, this kid is special. His record is like something out of a video game.

Back