Junior Formula. Discussion of F2, F3, F4, Formula Renault, TRS, W-Series, Indy Lights, etcOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 604 comments
I think it’s a reasonable decision, but his open wheel career is probably over after this season.
Its probably over in Europe at least. Maybe he can do a Santino Ferrucci and move to IndyCar, as it seemingly is getting more popular for F2 rejects.

Absolutely disgraceful ending to the F3 championship. Would've been an exciting fight between Maloney and Bearman for the last few laps, but no...
The bottom 10 drivers serve no purpose other than to 🤬 things up for the drivers who are actually relevant, in both qualifying and the race.

Absolutely disgraceful ending to the F3 championship. Would've been an exciting fight between Maloney and Bearman for the last few laps, but no...
Agreed. I get the schedule is tight and stuff but it took them so long to apply penalties and sort out the order, it would have been quicker to just get the last 3 laps done and have a result.

So much confusion, took way too long to sort, bit of a farce really.

Last edited:
The W Series has come to an end early. Utter failure in its objectives.

Last edited:
The W Series has come to an end early. Utter failure in its objectives.

Good. I would say it's a shame it has diverted female drivers away from mainstream single seaters for the past few years but that is probably giving them too much credit. Hopefully now W Series is gone as a distraction other female drivers who can and do compete and succeed as equals get the attention and sponsorship they deserve.

Maybe it's time Eau Rouge was changed to a single corner? Anyone having an issue through there will always be an unsighted sitting duck for the following drivers on Kemmel straight.

I think anyone who follows motorsports and hears there's been a bad crash at Spa, they'll automatically assume it's Eau Rouge and shudder remembering how past crashes through there look. Do yourself a favour, don't watch it. You won't be able to unsee it.

For the record, I'm not trying to nanny motorsports. Just this outdated for today's speeds set of corners.

Maybe it's time Eau Rouge was changed to a single corner? Anyone having an issue through there will always be an unsighted sitting duck for the following drivers on Kemmel straight.

I think anyone who follows motorsports and hears there's been a bad crash at Spa, they'll automatically assume it's Eau Rouge and shudder remembering how past crashes through there look. Do yourself a favour, don't watch it. You won't be able to unsee it.

For the record, I'm not trying to nanny motorsports. Just this outdated for today's speeds set of corners.
It's an iconic corner, but they've gotta change it somehow, it's like the mulsanne straight, where they have to alter it at some point to make it safer.

This crash didn't have anything to do with Eau Rouge. It happened well, well past the corner.

I agree that Eau Rouge needs some attention to prevent the barriers from throwing cars back onto the track, but this incident this weekend could have happened on any straightaway with narrow walls.

A crash on a confined straightaway on a track with high speeds and conditions with poor visibility is a worst-case scenario in so, so many respects, but the only thing you can reasonably do to prevent this is just... not race in these conditions.

This crash didn't have anything to do with Eau Rouge. It happened well, well past the corner.

I agree that Eau Rouge needs some attention to prevent the barriers from throwing cars back onto the track, but this incident this weekend could have happened on any straightaway with narrow walls.

A crash on a confined straightaway on a track with high speeds and conditions with poor visibility is a worst-case scenario in so, so many respects, but the only thing you can reasonably do to prevent this is just... not race in these conditions.

Wet or dry, that sequence of corners seems to always lead to the wreckage funnelling back onto the track for crashes like this. There's no excuse for it.

To be clear, the corners are fine in my eyes. It's the placement of the barriers. Left is better for the above but isn't far enough back and a concrete walled pit exit next to the fastest chicane in the world on the right. Crazy.

Specific corner design was the problem with Hubert's death. Van 't Hoff's crash was a T-Bone on a straight that could happen on literally any straight on any track. Tbh, it could happen on the exit of any blind corner anywhere in the world.

This accident reminded me of an incident I was unfortunate to have to attend at Silverstone during COVID, where a Formula Ford pileup in the wet lead to a driver losing his legs. The circumstances were eerily similar, guy crashes around fast blind corner in the wet (Woodcote) and was collected by the rest of the pack. In this Silverstone incident, I saw the double yellow flags go out before the crashed car was collected by the rest of the pack. We were lucky to avoid a fatality that day.

Drivers not slowing down for Yellow Flags is a problem, and one that causes too many problems in modern Motorsport. At some point, drivers OR stewards need to take this into their own hands and actually slow stuff down. People like to claim "Safety" as a reason for everything (overdoing Safety Cars etc), but when the first warning sign appears and people ignore it, then injure somebody and blame the car or the spray. The last lap of the 2022 Saudi GP was awful. Verstappen and Leclerc driving flat out through a Double Yellow Flag, and both moaning on the radio that the other hadn't slowed down at all. Rule makes need to put an actual number to how much drivers have to slow down, we are stuck with a flaky rule that sounds correct, but in the end is never followed or applied.

Whether the yellows were visible in the spray for this Van 't Hoff tragedy is a not something we can really comment on or blame, but the calls for circuit changes, banning Spa or the inevitable end of cars ever racing in the wet aren't really the main problem that needs solving or applying.

Condolences to his family, friends and team.

It's insane to think that they won't start F1 races in those conditions, but let young, much less experienced drivers go through this.
Man in an age of safety and technology.

We are still reminded of how dangerous motorsport is. Martin Brundle went to Stefan Bellofs funeral and he said it was one of the saddest things he seen.

Condolences to his family, friends and his team.

Like Jochen Mass said the biggest achievement in his motorsport career was staying alive.

What in theeee world are these F2 drivers doing? Holy smokes and gee whiz!
Daffy Duck No GIF by Looney Tunes

Edit:
Again. They’re just taking too many risks.

Last edited:
Nissany needs to get kicked out of F2. He's such liability as a racer, so many stupid incidents.

I'll leave this here again.

Very dramatic F2 feature race so far at Monza, Vesti out on lap 1 giving Pourchaire free reign to extend his championship lead almost out of reach, Leclerc with a high speed spin and Maloney turned into the barrier on the main straight by Nissany in a very scary crash.

Back