Justice League Movie (DCU Thread)Movies 

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 217 comments
RE: GL:
Why not Hal's fourteen year old (but she's an alien, so it's totally cool) ex-girlfriend Arisia?

Or Ch'p, the Looney Tune they killed off for being too cute?

-

Most logical from a chemistry point of view is Kilowog. Abin Sur could be used to set up a GL movie after, but the DCEU doesn't need another stuffed shirt in the movie.

...Yeah, saw the teaser yesterday. Forgot to link it here. :irked:

Looking forward to it - but what with all the troubles behind the doors, it's better to keep the anticipation as low as possible.

As for the inclusion of GL segment - why does that sound like nothing more than an extended cameo to set up a future Lantern movie? It'll probably end up as a "didn't-make-one-jot-of-difference-to-the-plot" scene. Not excited about that at all.

but what with all the troubles behind the doors, it's better to keep the anticipation as low as possible.
Well, it says a lot that The LEGO Batman Movie was more of a Batman film and a significantly better film than Dawn of Justice.

It's here, and it's AWESOME. Luckily, the wanted jokes are soft and nothing like the first teaser they released, this is more in tone with the original humor they've had in previous movies, which I really liked.

It's here, and it's AWESOME. Luckily, the wanted jokes are soft and nothing like the first teaser they released, this is more in tone with the original humor they've had in previous movies, which I really liked.

I have high hopes. But given DC's track record so far I don't know.

Man 🤬 Cyborg, he looks awful :(

Sold on everyone else though.
Is it just me or does he look sort of like Deadshot?

It looks good but I'm highly skeptical. If Wonder Woman fails to capture me, I'll just turn a blind eye to the DCU from thereon.
I'll give Wonder Woman and Justice League a shot, and if they turn out to suck I can at least fall back on the DC Animated Universe and the Arrowverse, and the various animated films.

this is more in tone with the original humor they've had in previous movies, which I really liked.

What humor?

-

On a more serious note, it's looking somewhat good. I like that the moments of levity effectively convey the personalities of the characters involved.

The one concern is the color-keying. So dark. As bad as Marvel's insistence to key their movies so there are no real blacks or shadows.

Bit of reality check: The Justice League is a patently absurd concept, mixing and matching different mythologies, technologies, costume styles and super-powers together into one cohesive whole can create a circus-like atmosphere. The challenge is to let the whole breathe without being dominated by a single theme. Hopefully Zack Snyder loosens up and gets a bit more creative and varied in his approach to the characters and situations.

The one concern is the color-keying. So dark.
It works for Batman. But not so much here. Here, it just looks like another Bat-film.

The Justice League is a patently absurd concept, mixing and matching different mythologies, technologies, costume styles and super-powers together into one cohesive whole can create a circus-like atmosphere.
That's why Marvel did it so well - they introduced the individual characters and worlds independently before bringing them all together.

The challenge is to let the whole breathe without being dominated by a single theme.
Which is why the set design is a problem. It just looks like a Bat-film. But even Bruce Wayne knows that there are so threats that he can't fight, which is why he defers to the likes of Jim Corrigan for specific problems.

I wasn'toverwhelemed with optimism after watching that trailer. At least as in Batman v Superman, Gal Gadot is nice to look at. Beyond that, there didn't seemto be anything in the trailer that suggested this would be much different in tone and style to Batman v Superman.

I will probably end up watching it anyway, but at the moment it doesn't excite me. Then again, I thought the first trailer for Batman v Superman was great and then each following trailer chipped away at that, so maybe this can do the reverse and look better following each trailer.

Maybe is just me, but I love the approach they had so far with Man of Steel and BvS. I just loved them and I still do.
They resonated in me very deeply, perhaps is the fact that I found so many cool things and details from the comics that it just blew me away, but I know is different for every person out there.
I'd love to see a Batman movie directed by Snyder, because, well, he's actually in love with the character and the dark world around him is just perfect.
Everybody says that he can't make a simple story actually work, but for example, in BvS, it was absolutely clear for me. All the "plot holes" were no where to be found in my case.
The "Martha" thing was another thing that everybody criticized heavily, and I loved it. So, as you can see, and probably know already obviously, I have really high hopes for the movie. As a comic book fan, I think the movie deserves to be long, like 4h long hahahahha, but that's just me.

Ps: I didn't like Suicide Squad. I think it has some cool ideas, but the music was over the top, too many characters and no real enemies. The ideas were there, but... nope.

Just watched the latest trailer. Seems like WW holds everything together. Sucks there's no Robin( the female one. It's a character that wouldn't be corny today. Look at Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Logan Jr. A female sidekick, would prove a tough hero).

Cyborg still looks horrible. Are people going to understand how Aquaman is so powerful out of water?

Does anyone know if WW will fly?

Sucks there's no Robin
If DC really want to make an ensemble superhero film, they should make a Bat-family film. Batman, Nightwing, Red Robin, Damian Wayne, Bluebird and the Spoiler. Maybe Oracle. Combine elements of Batman Eternal, We Are Robin and Superheavy.

If DC really want to make an ensemble superhero film, they should make a Bat-family film. Batman, Nightwing, Red Robin, Damian Wayne, Bluebird and the Spoiler. Maybe Oracle. Combine elements of Batman Eternal, We Are Robin and Superheavy.
I'd go for those, but..
Was Barbara shown in Batman Begins?

Another one: Is the suit in the Batcave, going to have a back story?

The Nolan movies were set up nicely. It's just, this all got out of hand.

Was Barbara shown in Batman Begins
She might have been, but if she was, she was very young. James Jr. had the bigger role in The Dark Knight. Neither of them appeared in The Dark Knight Rises as Jim Gordon had lost his family. Come to think of it, Barbara might have been Gordon's wife.

The Nolan movies were set up nicely. It's just, this all got out of hand.
I think DC is consciously trying to separate the films from Nolan's because of the more fantastical elements present in the new films. And it's not unheard-of for the Batman of the comics to deal with the outlandish threats.

Just looked it up. Barbara is indeed, Gordon's wife.

Batfleck was good. How he would have went up against Heath Ledger and either the current Harley Quinn or a different actress, would have been a sight.

As long as we don't see any talking gorillas, I may go see JL.

Batfleck was good.
He's a better Bruce Wayne than Christian Bale, that's for sure. Anyone can be Batman, but you have to get the Bruce Wayne right.

How he would have went up against Heath Ledger and either the current Harley Quinn or a different actress, would have been a sight.
I think the films need to move away from the Joker. He's iconic, but it's easy to grow too dependent upon him.

...I can already hear Kevin Feige going "WHEEEEEEDDDDDOOOOONNNNN......!!!" while flipping his tables.

Just kidding. :lol:

Man, Whedon wanted to make a Batflick for like, forever - I can still remember him talking about it with another director, Kevin Smith on, I think, his podcast or something. This was like many years ago, before The Avengers was a thing.

If it goes through, then well, good for him.

Considering there is a rumored Nightwing movie, a batfamily ensemble movie is very likely.
Well, that should be DC's focus. It's easily their most popular franchise and their experiments with various other franchises have revealed that they just don't work on film.

It wouldn't be too difficult to connect them - just lift elements of Battle for the Cowl, Batman RIP and Night of the Owls: in the aftermath of a Joker attack, Jim Gordon is dead and Batman is missing. Barbara Gordon is promoted to commissioner, and decides that Gotham no longer needs Batman; GCPD should be able to handle threats posed by supervillains. In the meantime, Nightwing, Red Robin, Red Hood, Damian Wayne, Bluebird and the Spoiler struggle to maintain order in Gotham while they search for Bruce Wayne. However, their efforts are thwarted by Owlman, the Court of Owls' enforcer. It is ultimately revealed that Bruce Wayne is Owlman, having been abducted by the Court of Owls and subjected to mental re-programming with mild doses of Venom (for strength), fear toxin (to boost adrenaline production), Joker venom (to separate him from reality), and Jervis Tetch's mind control technology (to reprogram him). This awakens the Batman of Zur-el-Annah, Wayne's subconscious attempts at rejecting a psychological invasion, but this is the master plan of Lincoln March: to awaken the Batman of Zur-el-Annah and use him to wreak havoc against the Court of Owls. The rest of the Bat-family must find a way to break March's hold over Waynd.

@prisonermonkeys I like it ,but no way they make Batman the bad guy on the big screen I feel.
I think they could, because it's a fundamental part of the character. Superman always does the right thing for the right reasons, and that makes him boring. But with Batman, you're always left wondering whether he will go over the edge. They need to follow through on that in some way.

Well, that should be DC's focus. It's easily their most popular franchise and their experiments with various other franchises have revealed that they just don't work on film.

It wouldn't be too difficult to connect them - just lift elements of Battle for the Cowl, Batman RIP and Night of the Owls: in the aftermath of a Joker attack, Jim Gordon is dead and Batman is missing. Barbara Gordon is promoted to commissioner, and decides that Gotham no longer needs Batman; GCPD should be able to handle threats posed by supervillains. In the meantime, Nightwing, Red Robin, Red Hood, Damian Wayne, Bluebird and the Spoiler struggle to maintain order in Gotham while they search for Bruce Wayne. However, their efforts are thwarted by Owlman, the Court of Owls' enforcer. It is ultimately revealed that Bruce Wayne is Owlman, having been abducted by the Court of Owls and subjected to mental re-programming with mild doses of Venom (for strength), fear toxin (to boost adrenaline production), Joker venom (to separate him from reality), and Jervis Tetch's mind control technology (to reprogram him). This awakens the Batman of Zur-el-Annah, Wayne's subconscious attempts at rejecting a psychological invasion, but this is the master plan of Lincoln March: to awaken the Batman of Zur-el-Annah and use him to wreak havoc against the Court of Owls. The rest of the Bat-family must find a way to break March's hold over Waynd.

....Sorry to interject in this discussion, but this scenario will never happen - as jaw-dropping the above storyline is, it's juggling way too many threads, and we all know even the best directors struggle to make that work on screen. Unless you're talking about a miniseries, in a two-and-a-bit hour long movie, this is too much stuff to go through.

Remember, movies are not made for the fans of comic, despite what the studio execs say; every single one of the characters you just mentioned need to be "set up" on screen and if you give them around five minutes to establish each, then hell, you're looking at one+ hour gone. Just like that. That's not going to work, at all, in terms of the overall pacing.

Unless you're talking about a miniseries, in a two-and-a-bit hour long movie, this is too much stuff to go through.
Individual films building up to Bat-family ensemble, with the disappearance of Bruce Wayne being the story arc that ties them together.

Individual films building up to Bat-family ensemble, with the disappearance of Bruce Wayne being the story arc that ties them together.

...Again very unlikely to happen, because you're looking at a massive commitment from the studio in terms of time and money invested in order for such a project to go ahead. You're talking about 4, 5 separate films featuring the characters that are largely obscure to the general movie going public. Also, there will be the fear of the franchise fatigue creeping in with that many movies dealing with the roughly the similar theme, assuming that all these films must come out within a few years to keep the momentum of the narrative alive.

I know it's incredibly unlikely that DC will read this thread and decide to abandon all of their projects and take me on as a writer. The point that I am trying to make is that Batman is a popular franchise and that if DC have their hearts set on an expanded universe, then they should play to that strength and draw on the rich cast of characters within the Batman universe. It's not hard to splice them all together.

Last edited:
Back