Justice League Movie (DCU Thread)Movies 

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 217 comments
Well, Justice League have thrust all these characters in, with very little back story. Introducing a Bat family, can be done in 3 hours. Introducing them the right way, as mentioned above, is another matter.

If DC really want to make an ensemble superhero film, they should make a Bat-family film. Batman, Nightwing, Red Robin, Damian Wayne, Bluebird and the Spoiler. Maybe Oracle. Combine elements of Batman Eternal, We Are Robin and Superheavy.
Well, a Batgirl solo movie is in the works (which probably rules out Oracle at least in full), and a Nightwing movie is in the pipeline too. A Batman Family movie would be good too. Having all those characters would mean you've got every person who's been Robin (barring the multiverse) except one.

Well, Justice League have thrust all these characters in, with very little back story. Introducing a Bat family, can be done in 3 hours. Introducing them the right way, as mentioned above, is another matter.
Even if Justice League turns out to not suck, I wish they would have done solo Flash and Aquaman movies before the Justice League movie. And the movie is noticeably lacking in green as Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern are absent. I know a Green Lantern Corps movie with Hal Jordan and John Stewart is planned but I have no idea what they plan to do with Martian Manhunter.

Hey, you never know
Well, if they're reading, here's how I'd do it:
Nightwing would be an adaptation of Francis Manapaul's Anarky. Anarky wipes everyone's digital footprint and personal information, triggering mass riots, but it's a diversion while he kills Jervis Tetch. Jim Gordon is killed and Batman disappears while trying to apprehend Anarky. Nightwing investigates, and finds that Tetch was selling mind control technology on the black market by way of the Penguin. Nightwing manipulates things to convince the Penguin that his second in command, Ogilvy, is planning to usurp him. Penguin reveals that Tetch was killed because he was selling his technology; he was living under the protection of the Court of Owls, who did not take kindly to his making money on the side. Penguin is killed by Owlman before he can reveal anything more.

Red Robin and Bluebird would see Red Robin and Bluebird looking into a series of bizarre deaths in the Narrows. The victims have translucent skin, hyper-developed adrenal glands, and the cause of death was essentially their brains being cooked. The two discover that the victims have been given mild doses of Venom, fear toxin, Icarus and kept alive in a synthetic Lazarus Pit. The dosages vary from victim to victim, suggesting experimentation. Their efforts are hampered by Barbara Gordon's announcement that Gotham no longer needs Batman or his allies, and by Firefly, who burns every lead they find (and large parts of the city). The eventually trace everything back to Roman Sionis, only for Owlman to intervene again.

Red Hood: What Doesn't Kill You would see Jason Todd and Damian Wayne try to find out who is behind the conspiracy. Sionis and the Penguin are connected through OSPRAI ("Osprey", the Office for Special Projects, Research and Investigations), a private intelligence agency overseen by Hugo Strange - it is the connection between the Court of Owls and the government, who want to bring an end to the madness encompassing Gotham. They go up against a death squad of Owlmen who target supervillains, but turn their attentions to Jason and Damian when they get trapped in Blackgate Penitentiary. They are saved by Leviathan, Talia al Ghul's personal unit of bodyguards, who reveals that Bruce Wayne is alive.

Batman: May Say Alas would reveal that Bruce Wayne is Owlman, having been caught by the Court of Owls when Gordon was killed. He has been subjected to the Venom-fear toxin-Icarus cocktail with mind control thrown in for good measure, but survived. This has unlocked his failsafe, the Batman of Zur-el-Annah. The Batman of Zur-el-Annah shows him a nightmarish future where Gotham is the capital of a techno-fascistic empire, with an army of Owlmen enforcing the law. Batman goes after his captor and the leader of the Court of Owls, Lincoln March, only to discover that March is a clone of himself. He is too late to stop his nightmarish visions from becoming real. Everything from Anarky's uprising until now has been orchestrated by Ra's al Ghul, who has seized control of the city.

Batman: The End would see the entire Bat-family band together to stop Ra's once and for all.
Introducing them the right way, as mentioned above, is another matter.
If nothing else, Guardians of the Galaxy proved that audiences will take to obscure characters.

Well, if they're reading, here's how I'd do it:
Nightwing would be an adaptation of Francis Manapaul's Anarky. Anarky wipes everyone's digital footprint and personal information, triggering mass riots, but it's a diversion while he kills Jervis Tetch. Jim Gordon is killed and Batman disappears while trying to apprehend Anarky. Nightwing investigates, and finds that Tetch was selling mind control technology on the black market by way of the Penguin. Nightwing manipulates things to convince the Penguin that his second in command, Ogilvy, is planning to usurp him. Penguin reveals that Tetch was killed because he was selling his technology; he was living under the protection of the Court of Owls, who did not take kindly to his making money on the side. Penguin is killed by Owlman before he can reveal anything more.

Red Robin and Bluebird would see Red Robin and Bluebird looking into a series of bizarre deaths in the Narrows. The victims have translucent skin, hyper-developed adrenal glands, and the cause of death was essentially their brains being cooked. The two discover that the victims have been given mild doses of Venom, fear toxin, Icarus and kept alive in a synthetic Lazarus Pit. The dosages vary from victim to victim, suggesting experimentation. Their efforts are hampered by Barbara Gordon's announcement that Gotham no longer needs Batman or his allies, and by Firefly, who burns every lead they find (and large parts of the city). The eventually trace everything back to Roman Sionis, only for Owlman to intervene again.

Red Hood: What Doesn't Kill You would see Jason Todd and Damian Wayne try to find out who is behind the conspiracy. Sionis and the Penguin are connected through OSPRAI ("Osprey", the Office for Special Projects, Research and Investigations), a private intelligence agency overseen by Hugo Strange - it is the connection between the Court of Owls and the government, who want to bring an end to the madness encompassing Gotham. They go up against a death squad of Owlmen who target supervillains, but turn their attentions to Jason and Damian when they get trapped in Blackgate Penitentiary. They are saved by Leviathan, Talia al Ghul's personal unit of bodyguards, who reveals that Bruce Wayne is alive.

Batman: May Say Alas would reveal that Bruce Wayne is Owlman, having been caught by the Court of Owls when Gordon was killed. He has been subjected to the Venom-fear toxin-Icarus cocktail with mind control thrown in for good measure, but survived. This has unlocked his failsafe, the Batman of Zur-el-Annah. The Batman of Zur-el-Annah shows him a nightmarish future where Gotham is the capital of a techno-fascistic empire, with an army of Owlmen enforcing the law. Batman goes after his captor and the leader of the Court of Owls, Lincoln March, only to discover that March is a clone of himself. He is too late to stop his nightmarish visions from becoming real. Everything from Anarky's uprising until now has been orchestrated by Ra's al Ghul, who has seized control of the city.

Batman: The End would see the entire Bat-family band together to stop Ra's once and for all.

If nothing else, Guardians of the Galaxy proved that audiences will take to obscure characters.
Main problem is, almost like the writers assumed everyone knows Wonder Woman. Guardians of the Galaxy is, in my eyes, a perfect tale of fantasy. Comedy, action, drama, music.

JL will have to do a better job than Suicide Squad, when explaining Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg. Why did Aguaman want to be seen after all these years(global warming? over fishing? pollution?)?
A mysterious black cube assembles Cyborg.
A superfast human, can be explained easily.

I'm still not sold on the assembly of SS. GotG is so good on it's own, even if none of the other MCU movies existed, we'd have everything covered if there were no sequel.

I do hope, as per the goodness if the WW trailer, JL can pull off just as good a story.

Is this where black suit Superman comes in?
No idea. The official synopsis is that Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince recruit Arthur Curry, Cyborg and the Flash to fight Steppenwolf. That's it.
Superman: Doomsday which is based on The Death of Superman has a black suit and I wouldn't be surprised if the original comic did too. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in the movie given that they're taking from that storyline.

Just looked it up. Barbara is indeed, Gordon's wife.

Batfleck was good. How he would have went up against Heath Ledger and either the current Harley Quinn or a different actress, would have been a sight.

As long as we don't see any talking gorillas, I may go see JL.

Why, it's a big part of the universe? Grodd isn't a joke.

Why, it's a big part of the universe? Grodd isn't a joke.
I can't see it working, in the tone of Rocket and Groot.

DC hasn't set the movies to make it "believable". We did see a Doomsday, but that was way too soon. At least the MCU gave us the Hulk and a couple Iron Man(s), Thor and then Avengers, to warm us up for mystical creatures and proper CGI. It made Rocket appear to be a proper character when that movie came out.

Thrusting Grodd on screen right now(even with Kong and recent Planet of The Apes movies), would be handled just as poorly as BvS.

I can't see it working, in the tone of Rocket and Groot.

DC hasn't set the movies to make it "believable". We did see a Doomsday, but that was way too soon. At least the MCU gave us the Hulk and a couple Iron Man(s), Thor and then Avengers, to warm us up for mystical creatures and proper CGI. It made Rocket appear to be a proper character when that movie came out.

Thrusting Grodd on screen right now(even with Kong and recent Planet of The Apes movies), would be handled just as poorly as BvS.

In a serious tone like they've tried to make these movies to be it can, Flash has always been the joking player in the JLU but has been most serious against Grodd. Grodd can be made to be like a planet of the apes like character in a DC movie. In reality that is what Grodd is, now if you want to talk absurd or not believable then I'd fine Monsieur Mallah to be more worrying for a film.

Since that most likely wont happen, I'm not worried, and quite accepting of Grodd if he were to make it. I don't think it would be all the poor. Also Thor from the get go was about mystical creatures, Red Skull in Capt. America was quite shocking as far as strange villains go. They didn't warm up people at all really, they just tried to make these things believable in a real world cinematic film.

It's much easier to do Iron Mongrel as the villain rather than Red Skull types or beyond.

In a serious tone like they've tried to make these movies to be it can, Flash has always been the joking player in the JLU but has been most serious against Grodd. Grodd can be made to be like a planet of the apes like character in a DC movie. In reality that is what Grodd is, now if you want to talk absurd or not believable then I'd fine Monsieur Mallah to be more worrying for a film.

Since that most likely wont happen, I'm not worried, and quite accepting of Grodd if he were to make it. I don't think it would be all the poor. Also Thor from the get go was about mystical creatures, Red Skull in Capt. America was quite shocking as far as strange villains go. They didn't warm up people at all really, they just tried to make these things believable in a real world cinematic film.

It's much easier to do Iron Mongrel as the villain rather than Red Skull types or beyond.
It's about making the CGI character believable. Red Skull was in the first scene and developed from there. We could see understand how he became deformed.

Frost giants can get a pass, as they are from/on/in a different realm.

A talking gorilla in Gotham or Metropolis? In 2017? I guess if a dark witch, can conjure up her brother from ashes and make a metal whirlwind, I may be able to accept it. Maybe. Shoot, I'd probably accept Mxy or Batmite.

It's about making the CGI character believable. Red Skull was in the first scene and developed from there. We could see understand how he became deformed.

Frost giants can get a pass, as they are from/on/in a different realm.

A talking gorilla in Gotham or Metropolis? In 2017? I guess if a dark witch, can conjure up her brother from ashes and make a metal whirlwind, I may be able to accept it. Maybe. Shoot, I'd probably accept Mxy or Batmite.

Grodd isn't based in those areas though...

^You should watch the TV Grodd and see what they've done with that. Bargain basement CGI didn't stop them treating him as a rock solid threat to Flash and his chums.

^You should watch the TV Grodd and see what they've done with that. Bargain basement CGI didn't stop them treating him as a rock solid threat to Flash and his chums.

Now, that's fine to introduce the character on the show. I don't watch Flash. So, if I saw Grodd in JL, I'd have to think where did this come.from?

Well cause he is, that's one of Flash's biggest enemies. The CGI is horrible at times, but on a big production like a DC film it would have been a good.

Now, that's fine to introduce the character on the show. I don't watch Flash. So, if I saw Grodd in JL, I'd have to think where did this come.from?

Where did you get this idea that Grodd would be introduced?

Well cause he is, that's one of Flash's biggest enemies. The CGI is horrible at times, but on a big production like a DC film it would have been a good.

Where did you get this idea that Grodd would be introduced?
I didn't, it was a joke from this:
She might have been, but if she was, she was very young. James Jr. had the bigger role in The Dark Knight. Neither of them appeared in The Dark Knight Rises as Jim Gordon had lost his family. Come to think of it, Barbara might have been Gordon's wife.

I think DC is consciously trying to separate the films from Nolan's because of the more fantastical elements present in the new films. And it's not unheard-of for the Batman of the comics to deal with the outlandish threats.

Just looked it up. Barbara is indeed, Gordon's wife.

Batfleck was good. How he would have went up against Heath Ledger and either the current Harley Quinn or a different actress, would have been a sight.

As long as we don't see any talking gorillas, I may go see JL.

This gif appears to be trending on Twitter right now...

uME2zS6.gif

Ok Henry, you're playing a beacon of light, a beloved superhero, an icon of what's good........ Now break that guy's neck.
Depends whose neck he's supposed to be breaking in the film. If it's a parademon, it's probably not much of an issue. The writers of the comics frequently depict the heroes killing non-human foes. It's often the only way to stop them.

That said, Snyder did have Batman straight-up murdering goons in Dawn of Justice.

Depends whose neck he's supposed to be breaking in the film.
Erm, have you seen Man Of Steel? Superman snaps the neck of a non human foe but it's Zod, the main villain. Any further neck snapping he introduced in the movies would be a call back to that moment.

If Snyder had spent less time on Twitter bait shock tactics and more time on meaningful character decisions maybe he'd make better movies.

I have mixed feelings on this. I have sympathy for Snyder, but feel that the quality of the film can only improve with him off the project.

Not really. Not with the project so far along. At best, it will be finished according to his vision. At worst, the finished project will have jarring tonal shifts.

A substitute director would be wise to review all the material already shot and work on complementing it, or at least keeping the style similar. Otherwise, you end up with The Fantastic Four.

Whedon is smart. He won't attempt to overhaul an entire movie with time- and money-wasting reshoots.

...Well, looks like Whedon finally gets his wish and direct a Bat"man" film after all. Too bad it took a tragedy in part of someone else to make that happen.

On track for the November release? I know that Warner will do their very best to hit that target, but.... hmm. Hopefully the overall quality won't suffer, as callous as that may sound.

Feel really bad for him, don't care how you feel about Snyder, losing a kid is tough enough without some people thinking "great maybe I'll get the DC comic-book movie I wanted now that he's self removed"

I hope this movies achieves even more so now because of the difficulty he's had to face not just from the public but dealing with this emotional turmoil.

Last edited:
Feel really bad for him, don't care how you feel about Snyder losing a kid is tough enough without some people thinking "great maybe I'll get the DC comic-book movie I wanted now that he's self removed"
That's not what I meant. I was thinking of Ridley Scott and The Counselor. It was his first film after his brother's suicide, and in many ways it was a response to that. But at the risk of putting it too bluntly, The Counselor was fairly maudlin in its tone. Artistic expression can be cathartic, but I can't see how trying to deal with the trauma and grief will help anyone involved.

That's not what I meant. I was thinking of Ridley Scott and The Counselor. It was his first film after his brother's suicide, and in many ways it was a response to that. But at the risk of putting it too bluntly, The Counselor was fairly maudlin in its tone. Artistic expression can be cathartic, but I can't see how trying to deal with the trauma and grief will help anyone involved.

We're talking about a movie that is close to post production with one that wasn't and had just began. So I doubt that it was all that influenced by such a tragic event, if any. I think making the decision for him and the studio to step aside and keep the vision, so the response you have or worry to me is unfounded.

So clearly him stepping aside is a realization on his part that it wont help produce the film he wants or those waiting for it.

EDIT: Realized @niky basically tried to strike the same point with you above, so perhaps take that into consideration.

Back