Kaz: Pushing the Virtual Divide

• Thread starter sokira
  • 436 comments
based on the movie, we should see Dai's S13 and a M6 in GT6 soon. :D

edit: we saw Kaz driving the LFA Nurb long time before the movie was released and we got that in GT6, so I a lot of hope most of the cars in the movie, we'll see in the game as a DLC.

I'm seeing it right now thanks to Media Hint, it's really interesting, I'm loving it, but the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaads... and the "HD" is not HD really...
Gosh... I only have Netflix, and now I know why. Besides that, great movie so far...

PS: Only one good thing for the ads, I can comment in here jajaja.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed watching this. This film really isn't about the history of the series or Kaz's whole life story actually. It's more of the essence and feel of Gran Turismo and how it really is transcending the virtual world and making an impact on the real world in a very positive way. The comparison made by the origami artist in regards to 3D modelling and how Akihiko Tan describes the overall "design" of GT's physics engine was really interesting. Also, the final part where Kaz recalls his memories back in 1997, the time when he had to let go of the project he and his team had nurtured for so long, was quite touching. The guy simply wants to make a mark in the world and share his passion with us, the fans.

I can gladly recommend this to any fan of the series and even to people who just love cars in general and appreciate what they stand for.

Jordan's segments were really great BTW. Glad he was a part of this film. :gtpflag:

Last edited:
IMHO, it felt like the movie didn't know what it should be about. Should it be about the game? Kaz's life? It kind of went all over the place. There were too many people who have no automotive background (such as the sculptor). Overall, the documentary was awkward. 3/5

Holy cow, this movie was better than what i've expected. I've liked so much every bit of it (specially the fact that it was FREE :cheers:).

Also, this:
"It's so incredible hard to get into motor-sports, as anybody who has done it or tried to do it knows it's one of the most expensive hobby's that you can find and theres a certain mystic about racing car driving, it's romanticized in a lot of ways, and for good reason: You have to be very lucky and fortunate in so many different ways to make it. So, to have something like Gran Turismo, where you can develop your skills in your living room, you can. For just a few hundred dollars. There's a few games that can actually teach you something that applies that directly to a real world situation."
(Jordan Greer)

Extremely underwhelming. It felt very self-fulfilling almost like a 90 minute advertisement more than anything else. Also, in keeping with GT's development process, it definitely came off like Kaz and PD work in a total vacuum and don't acknowledge that there indeed are others out there that do the same things they do. It's not as if they're the only ones doing these things, but they sure act like it. The segment about how they laser scan the tracks, for example. Pretty much every racing game out there does the same stuff as you're doing, Kaz. Sorry to break it to you.

As another user pointed out, it also seemed very awkward and all over the place like they didn't know if they were making a documentary about how GT was created, Kaz and his life, how digital entities such as GT have been affecting the real world, and so on. Not exactly a well thought out or well constructed documentary from that standpoint. Also some of the camera work, especially during interview segments with Kaz, was unbelievably annoying. Zoom in, focus, zoom out, zoom back in, focus, zoom in more, zoom out, zoom out more, focus, shake the camera, zoom in, zoom out, focus....etc etc etc. It was overdone and just plain annoying. Also one of the subtitles had a misspelling. That pretty much shows the level of care taken here to me.

So yeah, overall I was very underwhelmed by 'Kaz'. It just wasn't very interesting, well thought out, well constructed, the interviews were awkward in places including Lucas Ordonez flat out saying "I don't know what to say" while motioning for them to cut, for instance. He's not 'overwhelmed' and in 'awe' and 'lost for words', he just ran out of ways to stand there and continually kiss Kaz' ass for the cameras. What else did they want him to say, ya know? Surprised they didn't cut that. Anyway, I'd give it a 1/5 at best. It was what I expected of it from the trailers, though. Basically a 90 minute ad for Kaz and GT.

Very intriguing piece of film. It wasn't only just GT obviously but Kaz himself. I think the director really put the viewers into the mind of this very interesting guy. Though when the viewpoints split to random people like the surf board craftsman or the origami artist, it was pretty disorienting but listening to what they have to say seem to relate to what Kaz feels about GT. You could also see how a video game could influence car culture too. This was proven with GT Academy & the spy Corvette, both described in the film.
Kaz speaking out with his thoughts was pretty other-worldly to me. I mean, connecting natural processes to car behavior? Who can do that? Although we get the norm Kaz stands, the film doesn't really touch much about PD themselves. Then again, we are talking about the maker of GT. The film composition was pretty strange, with the random people and quirky camera angles. The meaning, though, could not be conveyed any better. An hour-long film is just the slice of understanding Kazunori's motives.
Definitely something any GT fan should watch. It really gets you to admire Kaz, in spite of GT's apparent flaws. He is someone I should absolutely meet someday, just a very cool fellow. Also a shout to @Jordan for attending this film. His insight to this really makes it special.

Last edited:
...Lucas Ordonez flat out saying "I don't know what to say" while motioning for them to cut, for instance. He's not 'overwhelmed' and in 'awe' and 'lost for words', he just ran out of ways to stand there and continually kiss Kaz' ass for the cameras. What else did they want him to say, ya know?

Dude that's just a classic way/gesture of saying 'forget about it.. words can't do justice to the gratitude I have that I was given this opportunity'... maybe it's more of a European 'thing' but he certainly didn't run out of words and told them to cut. For the rest of your post, you probably had half of your bashing written out before hand, tell me what would you like to have seen??.. inside knowledge and coding/programming techniques at PD Studios? C'mon man the guys been doing this for over 15 years, this documentary was anything but self-fulfilling, I don't see how you think that, who runs a company and isn't proud of their achievements? I'm pretty sure it's justified that he can be make some comments of being gratified about his own company and all the team-work plus boast about things to come.. where's the problem?

Great film. Enjoyed it allot and learned about a certain pine tree... Seriously, that's cool!

Did anyone else notice the version of GT he was driving at the track? It had other tire traction indicators on the right side and appears to be a few other read out...

If you have Firefox or Chrome, install the "Media Hint" add-on. It will mask your browser's IP address and let you watch Hulu. Worked for me!

Just quoting this so you guys can see it in case you did not. Just install the add-on. Worked like a charm.

RJS
If you can't watch the documentary on Hulu, because of contry restrictions, try this one ;)

(Not my upload)

Thank you sir, I can't watch it in South Africa yet. Or maybe I wait till it's available in South and download in HD hmmmm

Back