Kazunori: Gran Turismo 5 out during 2007

• Thread starter amar212
  • 333 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree. I have 50% win loss ratio because i have to keep exiting out of races to make sure i get decent aspec pts. The single player carreer mode has lots of flaws. 2 years is a long time to debate before we get a deffinate answer...

i think it would be great if vision gran turismo turned out to be something like "prologue" or that other pre-gt4 supplement. just run a gt4 on the new engine to hold us over until the new beast is ready. the 6 car racing and 2 car head to head thing is really starting to get on my nerves. just my opinion tho.

Zardoz
2007, huh? Man, that's a long time.

Not to worry, though. PD and Sony will keep us busy with "GT4 For The PS3", which they'll kindly bundle for free with the PS3, as I so convincingly predicted in this thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66031

*dives into foxhole and covers head in anticipation of incoming barrage of abusive responses*
I read all of that thread and I don't quite know what to say. There was an awful lot of mud slinging going on. I was going to post in there, but I saw the date of the last post, your final comment, and figured everyone would blame me for "sleeping in." Don't be scared though because I'm not going to throw a grenade your way, nor am I going to find my beloved M-16 and nail you with a 3-round burst. I remain neutral on the subject but I see your point and where you are going with everything.

Yes, the next full version of Gran Turismo will be Gran Turismo 5. However, there can be a filler to keep people satisfied until the real deal gets there. Dine at a mexican restaurant and the free chips keep hitting the table while you pick from the menu and wait for your meal to be prepared and delivered. Does it mean that all you get are chips to consume? Well I guess if you wanted to just hang out, chill and socialize with your friends you could go that route, but there could be more coming if chips aren't all you want to fill up on. Any cost lost to the restaurant in chips gets more than made up for when they sell alcohol and main courses. Some restaurants will even let the designated driver drink sodas for free; I know of a few. The point here is, you can get something free to snack on while you wait for the main course to arrive.

Another rendition of GT4 (Gran Turismo 4½ if you will) would be plausible if it came out for free as you suggest. This version could do more as far as pushing the PS3 envelope and would be more entertaining than GT4 currently is. I can believe that it would make sense for Sony to "update" GT4 to make it more fun and entertaining while we wait for Gran Turismo 5.

All of the basic building blocks of GT4 are there, it wouldn't be too hard for some developers to code a Playstation 3 version while the rest continue to work on GT5. I presume that Sony & P.D. have more than just a handful of people working on any given Gran Turismo game at the appropriate time ... ? Taken a look at the credits? There are a lot of people that make each GT game possible, borrowing a few for a specific task shouldn't be too much to ask. It would be like if Car & Driver or Road & Track sent out three people to cover a Honda Odyssey while everyone else flocked to cover a Ferrari 575. Each story would get done by "X" deadline and in reading the two articles you could not tell how many people covered each story unless you were behind the scenes or otherwise had inside information.

Think about what got left out of GT4. Think about how long it took to get from GT3 to GT4. Gran Turismo, GT2 and GT3 were released within about 2 years of the one prior. Wasn't it 1997, 1999 and 2001 sequentially? Then we had to wait until 2005 for GT4 with the launch of Playstation 3 looming about 1 year away. If you're a game developer working on GT4, that had to be something you were thinking about. In the time between GT3 and GT4, we could have had another Gran Turismo game slipped in sometime about 2003 if they followed the original 2 year plan. Think about this too. GT4 may have been delayed, but now why are there reports that K.Y. wants GT5 to release sometime in 2007? 2007 is 2 years after GT4 was released earlier this year, 2005. People want to quickly dismiss the 2 year goal because of what happened with GT4. I'd like to believe that it will be here in 2 years and I shall hope that K.Y. is right about a 2007 launch date.

Why bring out a game after much delay and much anticipation when the PS2 is more than 90% of the way through it's life cycle? PS2 was released in late 2000, yes? PS3 is slated for a 2006 release. The PS2 has been around for 5 years and it's getting replaced before it hits year 6. Why not just bite the bullet and release the game one year later when PS3 comes out? It would only have been another year of waiting at this point. Well, development on GT4 had long been started for the PS2 system. Remember that GT4 was in the works when PS3 was still just an idea on a piece of paper. Another thing, people were getting antsy for the next Gran Turismo. GT4 had been delayed long enough, I believe the quote I'm looking for is, "Ship it!" and "Do what's necessary to get it out and I want it out yesterday!" This is when you cut out some of the details and features and make do with what you've got. Haven't any of you been in that situation for school or work projects?

I'm a huge Corvette afficionado, and as such have learned that C4 (model years 1984-1996) was not supposed to last that long. Each year after 1992 that C4 was out was only a model that got light changes over the previous year because C5 was delayed by so long. Read "All Corvettes Are Red" if you are interested in the rest of that story.

I told my brother, because of this long delay of GT4, that I wanted Gran Turismo 5 released before I had a fair chance to get finished with GT4. I know they wouldn't do that, but I was so over it, so frustrated that from GT3 to GT4 took four years to come out. Think of it this way- You could have bought GT3 as a first semester freshman in high school and not gotten GT4 until you were in your second semester senior year and about to graduate. February, let's see, that's around the time you start thinking about prom dresses (F) or seriously start narrowing down the options of who you want to ask to prom (M) and the parties you want to attend after (Couple). People who bought GT3 new, bought it before the attacks on September 11, 2001; that was quite some time ago. I bought my PS2 and GT3 Greatest Hits in August of 2002.

I'm done ranting for now. It makes sense to me that a free or seriously cheap copy of GT4½ comes out with Playstation 3. By seriously cheap, I mean sub $20 with free refills. Whether the people at Sony and Polyphony Digital do this or not remains to be seen.

bucket of water
i would like to see more emphasis racing then the actual licenses.
Well, a lot of people like to run the licenses over and over again until reaching all gold. I'm one of those people. Some people don't like to play the game unitl they have obtained all gold. I know of one fellow who is doing just that. He still hasn't played his GT4 game yet, since he's still working on all gold. I, for instance, like to get my licenses straight away and dive into the game. Then, once I've completed all or most of the game, I complete all gold licenses.

There were more tests this time around, and I liked it. But, I didn't like the guided full track tests. Those are the worst. The AI car often doesn't take turns as fast as you could, and it screws up with your times. Plus, I felt there were a few too many tests per license, but it wasn't by much.

I don't think they can keep up with the 2 year plan, simply because there are a lot more cars now in GT4, and even more in GT5. They are changing the physics system so they can't reuse the old data from previous GT's. So I don't think they can get GT5 done by 2007, maybe 2008-09 with a stop gap game like Vision GT. I really hope they get the tuning and the physics right this time around.

They completely re-wrote the code for GT4 to squeeze out the most of the PS2. I imagine that they will have to rewrite the code AGAIN but not to squeeze out the most of the Cell, but just to RUN on the Cell. It's new to them as well as to us. It'll take some time to learn just what the Cell is capable of--for both the developers and writers as well as us, the users.

I think 2007 is a while off, but not nearly enough time for this task. :P Just my speculation, though.

Yes it's true that 2007 is not far off, but "2007" by itself is vague. K.Y. could mean 1/1/2007, in which case that's just over 1 year 4 months 13-ish days away... Or he could mean holiday season 2007, like 12/17/2007, in which case that is 2 years 3 months, 28-ish days away. Pick any date between those two figures, like during May, June, or July and you're working with a slightly different timescale.

I believe that the people working for Sony & P.D. have enough time between now and sometime in 2007 that we could see GT5 out during that year.

nos2
I don't think they can keep up with the 2 year plan, simply because there are a lot more cars now in GT4, and even more in GT5. They are changing the physics system so they can't reuse the old data from previous GT's. So I don't think they can get GT5 done by 2007, maybe 2008-09 with a stop gap game like Vision GT. I really hope they get the tuning and the physics right this time around.
You got it wrong, he re-wrote the code for GT4 to make allowance for future versions of GT. Basically the physics ending is optomised for the PS2 in GT4 but it can be re-optomised for a faster system, thats what I got from what Kaz said about the new engine in GT4. The graphics engine will be new as will other parts of the game engine. If you expect the game in 2008 you'll probably be right and if it turns up on schedule you get a nice suprise.

Unless PD can better implement features in faster times while providing more to us GT gamers, then 2007 would be a thing of beauty. But if you ask me, I'm kind of not buying "during 2007." There may be a chance that it may come in the Spring of 2008, maybe summer. I don't know. But finish this sentence with a number:

"There is a ___% chance that the 'during 2007' claim for GT5's release will actually be met."

I'd give an 80% chance that PD releases GT5 sometime during 2007.

Personally, If I were K.Y., I would be furious that GT4 took 4 years to come out and I would be looking to please the fanbase again. Meeting his 2007 claim would be a huge start towards pleasing the people who got turned off between 2001 and 2005 when there was no new Gran Turismo game.

Got me thinking reading this just how big GT is now and how they need this to be one of the nig names for PS3 release, sure they might announce it and keep us waiting, but surely they wont keep it going for as long as GT4 took, i mean maybe GT5 uses a lot of data from GT4 but is just enhanced to suit the PS3, maybe thats why GT4 took so long because in reality it was the pre release to keep us happy until GT5/PS3? Maybe maybe not, however if its 2008 i will be gutted.

If it releases christmans 2007 in Japan it will be 2008 for us anyway. I'm betting even on schedule it won't appear in the UK until early-mid 2008.

And if it does? They've had problems trying to get GT4 complete, even with dropping online play. To PD, I say take as much time as you need. Don't rush things. Set a goal, work with it, and make the most of it. I really just don't know if "during 2007" will be completed. If PD wants to put in more, they'll lengthen the entire deal. As long as PD gets the game released without rushing anything, I think we'll all love the game regardless. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not overly dependent. I don't NEED the next GT, but I'd sure like to get it once it is released.

Continue speculuation, people.

John I agree, theres plenty more to keep me busy besides GT, it's just nice to have it when it arrives, if it's late but better then so be it. However I do think PD will be closer to schedule this time, it'd be hard not to be though eh.

I'm pretty confident that it will appear sometime during 2007. It'll be the first GT on the PS3 (barring any GT Vision shenanigans) and I'm sure Sony will be interested in getting it out in order to sell PS3's. As well, PD is probably looking to follow the pattern and have two GT's come out during the PS3's lifetime. Furthermore, I highly doubt that GT5 will have as many cars as GT4 (I'm expecting around 200); they will most likely use it in the same manner as GT1 and 3 and have it as a proof-of-concept game showing off the higher visuals and damage that's possible with the PS3.

Another thing to think about is that (I imagine) the main reason GT4 took so long is that they actually rendered every car in more detail than can be seen during most of the game, because of Photo Mode. Therefore, it might be possible that GT5 will actually use the highly-detailed Photo Mode renderings of the cars for its in-game graphics.

Just something to chew on...

I would say GT5 will make it in time because I have heard rumors of PD working on GT5 while releasing GT4, and it was part of the reason why GT4 was late... but I don't know.

I have to say that "During 2007" is a large dartboard to aim for...

Although... personally I think it will be closer to "During this decade".

C.

if PD was smart, they were probably gaining data for gt5 alongside gt4. remember all those cars they were testing that we didnt see in the game? at least that was my theory... it was also my theory for gt2 and 3.... but i still have hope :'(

Maven
I'm pretty confident that it will appear sometime during 2007. It'll be the first GT on the PS3 (barring any GT Vision shenanigans) and I'm sure Sony will be interested in getting it out in order to sell PS3's. As well, PD is probably looking to follow the pattern and have two GT's come out during the PS3's lifetime. Furthermore, I highly doubt that GT5 will have as many cars as GT4 (I'm expecting around 200); they will most likely use it in the same manner as GT1 and 3 and have it as a proof-of-concept game showing off the higher visuals and damage that's possible with the PS3.

Another thing to think about is that (I imagine) the main reason GT4 took so long is that they actually rendered every car in more detail than can be seen during most of the game, because of Photo Mode. Therefore, it might be possible that GT5 will actually use the highly-detailed Photo Mode renderings of the cars for its in-game graphics.

Just something to chew on...
Weather GT5 comes in '07 could depend on the Dev tools PD has at hand for the PS3.I've read other forums discusing PS3 may be challenging for developers at first.I dont know maybe PD already has a handle on it.Sony would have provided the kit to them early on so I'd say so. As far as Photo Mode goes it has to be included and I would say the 'in game play' will look heaps better than GT4 Photo Mode.

Do some of you think that PD may be more experienced and may be able to put things into GT5 and have it all done within 2007? To me, I think PD will be able to learn and master the PS3 console to make the most out of the PS3. Here's the thing. Don't expect PD (or anyone else for that matter) master the PS3 and make games more superior than any other next-gen masterpiece. When you work with a different game system, it's a learning process. Look at The PS1 in terms of the Ridge Racer series. I reviewed the old school game "Ridge Racer." Then I think I did Rage Racer too, then let's not forget the visually stunning (even for the PS1) Ridge Racer Type 4. As a company, you tend to learn more about the console, experiment with ways to make games bigger and better, and thereafter, you've mastered it. It was really can't miss to see GT4 really do a good job of making the game run fast and able, while maintaining at least 60 FPS. There are some slowdowns, but not every game can be perfect.

I'd like to introduce this in a future thread perhaps, but I wouldn't want to overexpect things. Like I told a friend of mine, I want the game to come to me, not the other way around. I know the PS3 is obviously going to put the PS2 to shame, but the sky is the limit for what you can do. Part of getting games done right is understanding the console in question, then working with the machine's capabilities to make the most out of the game you're trying to release. Good games incorporate both elements in my last sentence, the rest of the goodness comes from the hard work of the game company itself.

Don't get me wrong. I respect PD and love the Gran Turismo series. I'm just skeptical about the "during 2007" deal. This is by no means a test of loyalty. They take all the time they need. Hey, Zelda got delayed. I believe HALO2 was delayed. Let's not forget Half-Life 2. You want to make the game shine? Take as much time as possible. I'm sure PD will get it right, even if many of our suggestions here on GTPlanet don't reinforce what many of us want to see.

That's true John and I see the approach you are coming from. However, keep this in mind- If Polyphony Digital and Sony stay true to form, they will put out 2 Gran Turismo games over the life of the PS3. The first GT game that comes, GT5, will outshine GT4 by far because of the nature of the platforms. Then they will have time to take everything they learned in developing GT5 and can bring out an outstanding GT6 that really pushes the envelope of the PS3.

If the developers take a lot of time with the first game for PS3, there may not be a need to launch a second GT game for the PS3 because the next Playstation (PS4 for simplicity) could be around the corner. Who knows really, only time will tell when PS4 comes. That situation would be parallel to what happened recently between GT3 and GT4, and it would be GT6 getting pushed back later and later and later. Taking too much time with one game has a trickle-down effect with later titles unless you buck the trend. GT5 needs to have a solid target to aim for, even if it's off by 3 months say, to stay on the long-term target. I don't know what K.Y's long-term target is, but I sure hope he does.

I almost want to say that with GT5 there is a sence of urgency to "make the date." Now I don't mean the kind of urgency that GT4 had at the bitter end when, "ƒikuncg ship it already!" was the going montra, but the kind of urgency that you get when you need to prove to your fanbase that the last go around was a fluke. I believe that Kazunori Yamauchi will be more proactive to hit the deadline this time and will do what he needs to get GT5 out close to, if not right on, his announced 2007.

To be great, game developers should take as much time as possible, yes. With the introduction of competition however, things change. If it's a matter of keeping a fanbase and selling your product or killing your product because it doesn't stack up to what the competition has out (or is coming out with) then the rules change. Gran Turismo now has Forza to contend with and if Enthusia continues on, it too could be a competitor to the G.T. series.

I'm pretty sure that Polyphony will accelerate the development of GT5 after seeing how incredible PGR 3 looks on the XB 360. So PD , you better get GT5 in time because I can't wait for too long without a quality next-gen racer.

i doubt it will take as long for the developers to utilize the full power of the PS3 as it did for the PS2. (offtopic have you seen tekken 5 for the ps2? it looks amazing :) )

I wonder if PGR3 uses 40k polygons for the car's interiors alone or maybe a 100k for the whole cars. How many polygons will GT5 cars have ?

Nizar1980
I wonder if PGR3 uses 40k polygons for the car's interiors alone or maybe a 100k for the whole cars. How many polygons will GT5 cars have ?
Similar numbers, maybe a little less. You really don't need that many in the first place, once you hit a certain level it's things like the lighting and textures that make the difference between realistic looking and not.

damn i have to wait till 2007 for a reason to buy a ps3 unless something else comes along.
Metal Gear Solid 4
Need I say more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back