Kazunori Yamauchi GameSpot Interview: Features, Fan Feedback and the Development Process

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 22, 2017.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Inferno251, ProjectF, fortbo and 7 others like this.
  2. Sharpie

Sharpie

Sweet.

3. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

There is more than one statement here by Kaz that fans, and critics, are going to hang their hat on. Let's hope he's got it nailed this time.

4. dipsetab

dipsetab

My boi kaz tell them like it is. Their sleeping on you dawg can't wait #jointhehumanrace :cheers:

Thorin Cain likes this.
  5. Mulan

Mulan

Still hope that quality also means realistic (sound, handling, damage, tracks, rules....). Other driving/racing games coming around same period are not some amateur titles. If they stand above them then ill be really happy for all us gamers this fall. My wallet is ready

fikridroid, Lord Kacperov and sebmugi like this.
  6. NLxAROSA

NLxAROSA Premium

Expect perfection.

fikridroid likes this.
  7. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

Not perfection perhaps but I do believe that Kaz is making an extra effort to launch with a few problems as possible and as complete of a game as possible. He even goes so far as to say that they asked Sony for more time to develop the game to achieve this goal. In my opinion what he means is that he wants the game to run smoothly from day one and for all major features to be included from the very beginning. He's not talking about necessarily having the very best physics and tire model etc. Let's hope the fans and critics understand that distinction (if I'm correct).

fikridroid and weedybroz like this.
  8. RaceFuchs

RaceFuchs

145 campaign events! Still not sure what that means, but at least we can be sure that the campaign will feature more than just license tests and tutorials.

Inferno251, AgentBlackDog and marcvic like this.
  9. Scuderia Paul

Scuderia Paul

I feel Campaign Events are probably similar to Special Events in Assetto Corsa.

Lord Kacperov likes this.
  10. RaceFuchs

RaceFuchs

If done right, this could be pretty cool. I'm thinking about the special events in Forza 6, like the endurance races.. i liked those.

Lord Kacperov likes this.
  11. Motoyuki7

Motoyuki7

Yeah, he gave a number, but is it good or bad?

12. heymi79

heymi79

145 campaign events! ..... I think, there are only "licence tests". :(

Fat Tyre likes this.
  13. stdcar

stdcar

145 events
    [​IMG]

14. JSpalding

JSpalding

15. fatkid

fatkid

I am worried that beyond the 50 mission challenges (depending on their difficulty) if the 95 other events will offer any replay value.:confused:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    fikridroid likes this.
  16. dimassa19

dimassa19

145 to start... I think that there will be many others in the full cycle.

alucard0712 likes this.
  17. Corsa

Corsa Premium

The voice recognition closed captioning is well...I laughed so hard.
    Kaz called GT Sport a "smooth great animal" many times.
    Now I'm really excited!
    On a serious note, nice interview.

18. MockngBrd

MockngBrd

Fool me once, shame on me....

Motoyuki7 likes this.
  19. Northstar

Northstar Premium

Well, he just said "quality", he never said what level quality it will be. :p

Lord Kacperov and Motoyuki7 like this.
  20. MockngBrd

MockngBrd

[​IMG]

21. Imari

Imari

"Unlock system and economy still undecided."

WTF, Kaz. That's a pretty massive part of the game to still not know how you're going to deal with after four years. One could argue that the major gameplay problems that GT5 and 6 had were in large part due to their unlock systems and economies. A bad economy can make an otherwise great game unplayable.

I see that they still have no idea what it actually means to play one of these games like a normal person.

Also, inventing Day 1 updates? Negro, please. I mean, that's hardly something to be proud of anyway, but GT5 was not the first game with a Day 1 update. It may have been the first game that was unplayable without an update, but I wouldn't even put money on that.

22. NixxxoN

NixxxoN (Banned)

Some replay value yes, over time to try to improve your times and all. Anyway why you need so much replay value in such a game where the most fun is to play online with other people

jaj_fox likes this.
  23. fatkid

fatkid

Why? I don't know? Maybe playing online, all the time, isn't what everyone wants. You can have bad experiences with other players or a temperamental connection at times. And I hate to have to bring it up, but with two studios releasing their second and third racing titles, this generation, just before GT Sport and having been in development for a shorter period of time and still looking like having a deeper 1 player mode, does leave me puzzled. Besides, no one knows at this point how much replay value or what form the challenges will take after 4 years of development and no concrete information, even so close to release. So a definite "yes" would be complete guesswork, throwing caution to the wind and foolhardy at this point.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    raul791, kjb, Johnnypenso and 5 others like this.
  24. Mr Tree

Mr Tree

"What sets this game appart from other racing sims: quality"

That must have been the lousiest answer ever without even a backup question. Sorry that's just the truth.

Quality of what? Overall? Think that's rather opinion. Physics? Menus?...

Quality is just not even an answer. Am I the only one that's baffled by such bold claims and no extra questions?

25. NixxxoN

NixxxoN (Banned)

Since GT1 I used to play all the GT games and try to complete them all, but since GT5 (first one with online multiplayer) the offline career mode has been reduced to a very secondary thing.
    I think its 10 times better to play online (with good clean players) rather than against the boring lifeless CPU.
    I've been only playing online in GT6 since I finished career mode, and i dont even do the seasonals.
    Having a good group of people to play and chat with them using the mic, I think its priceless and I dont need anything else.

26. fatkid

fatkid

I played and hosted an endless amount of online races on GT5, for all it's shortcomings. I use to hold races were I would hand out chrome paint chips to winners and even just have a laugh having track days, with a whole variety of vehicles, including go karts and F1 cars on the same track, before PD put paid to that. And the amount of friends I made by playing that game with all the other things I mentioned made for some of my greatest gaming experiences, EVER! But this is also the problem. All this was down to the inventivness, friendliness, and cooperation of myself and other players rather then PD. As a flip side: by the time GT6 came out, all the friends I made on GT5 had moved on and hadn't bothered buying GT6, the servers just kept kicking me out due to bad connection and PD stupidly got rid of the gifting items system. Finding good players online isn't 10x better then playing the cpu, as you mentioned. It is almost unquantifiably better! The problem is finding those quality players all the time. No game developer can take credit or criticism for that, including PD. The game, as a whole, has to offer more. And as yet PD haven't shown (or simply haven't created) enough, so close to release.

Just providing an online mode isn't enough - I know about the FIA championships and they do not interest me as I will never win and feel it will just alienate some gamers, but each to their own - and PD's actions seem so puzzling: from being so slow to adopt online racing, to completely embrace it. Almost to the detriment of the once rich career mode, which they had the potential to build on and still provide a involving online experience. Their lack of focus, disposable ideas, bad implementation, even worse choices and waste of licenses over the last two sequels has really hurt the series. Maybe this is why instead of building on the previous GT's like they did in the past, they decided to scrap those ideas and start fresh. Without realising what parts of the previous titles were good and bad.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  27. Master Weasel

Master Weasel Premium

Glad I'm not the only one who finds this odd. I would imagine that designing the game's economy and reward system is easier than programming physics, making car models, recording sounds, and other complex areas of the game. The fact that they still can't decide how much money can be earned from events, how much cars cost, etc. after all this time is quite concerning to say the least.

28. celtiscorpion73

celtiscorpion73

Someone actually accused Kaz of giving a "straight answer?" Why is it that anytime he says anything, we are always trying to decipher what he said and have even more questions after?

Lord Kacperov and marcvic like this.
  29. trustjab

trustjab

Outrage over silly things imo. Either we get a a credit system (which weve seen on e3 pics) or we get something like the beta with driving unlocking cars. Doesn't matter if it's both or either. You'll unlock cars and it looks as if you'll have credits to purchase cars. When he says undecided, I don't think there's any question about getting credits when you see multiple screen shots and pre-orders which have credits in them.

Lord Kacperov and marcvic like this.
  30. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

I just want the game to have some assortment of unlockables. That's something we're direly missing in modern racing sims.