Kei Central

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 817 comments
IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

I love the non-commercial vans and pickups.

1967 Daihatsu Fellow van

1967 Honda LN360 van

1972 Honda Life Super Deluxe van

Mazda B360 truck

Mazda B360 van

Mitsubishi 360 van

Mitsubishi Minica van A100V

Mitsubishi Minica truck

Subaru 360 Custom DX van

Subaru R-2 Van

Subaru Rex Van

1955 Suzuki Suzulight SL van. There was also an SP pickup, but only about 30-50 were made and I can't find a picture of one.

1957 Suzuki Suzulight van

1961 Suzuki Suzulight TL

Suzuki Mighty Boy

The Smart Roadster as well.

About a year ago i did a test with every Kei car on Gran turismo 2 and came up with the 10 fastest, the top 2 wasn't surprising but the fastest was miles ahead.

The Minica Dangan ZZ is beast though, faster then most kei cars under the old regs with the smaller engine and lower power.

Last edited:
The Smart Roadster is too long, too wide and its engine is too big to be a kei car.

A few snaps I took at the Japanese Automotive Invitational at Pebble Beach:

There's an R360 in the Service reception, at Penrith Mazda where I used to work. Pop the rear engine cover and you'd only need a screw driver to work on the power unit. :D It isn't a Concourse example, but I remember the owner of the dealership telling me he paid "more than it was worth". Too cute.

I also believe the smart city coupe only fits Kei car regulations because of the altered rear bumper on the K model.

There's an R360 in the Service reception, at Penrith Mazda where I used to work. Pop the rear engine cover and you'd only need a screw driver to work on the power unit. :D It isn't a Concourse example, but I remember the owner of the dealership telling me he paid "more than it was worth". Too cute.
Yeah I saw it when i got my car serviced there lol, tiny thing.

I'm guessing the reason you don't see a car with the number "4" in this picture is because it's considered bad luck in Japan. Both four (四) and death (死) are pronounced "shi" in Japanese.

Aren't green cars bad luck as well?
I don't know about Japan, but I know it was considered bad luck right here in the US to have a green race car. Then Harry Gant won four NASCAR races in a row in his green Skoal Bandit and people didn't worry about it so much.

I don't know about Japan, but I know it was considered bad luck right here in the US to have a green race car. Then Harry Gant won four NASCAR races in a row in his green Skoal Bandit and people didn't worry about it so much.
Which is why British Racing Green is so amusing.

Though I think in India green is considered a lucky colour, which kinda just shows that superstition is a load of old balls anyway.

Mitsubishi Minica Opentop Skyjack. I have no idea whether this was a factory thing or an aftermarket job - who knows with 80s/90s Japanese stuff - but there's not a great deal of info online about it. Found these images via Twitter. I'm guessing the section on the roof can be opened and you can... I dunno, survey your land through it or something? Maybe it's just for extra luggage. Maybe it has no point whatsoever, but I like it.

DaS1k6nWkAAn4G0.jpg

DaQ7MBIVwAA92iU.jpg

DaQ7OzAV4AAOPWH.jpg

DaQ7RBkU0AIuYw1.jpg

Mitsubishi Minica Opentop Skyjack. I have no idea whether this was a factory thing or an aftermarket job - who knows with 80s/90s Japanese stuff - but there's not a great deal of info online about it. Found these images via Twitter. I'm guessing the section on the roof can be opened and you can... I dunno, survey your land through it or something? Maybe it's just for extra luggage. Maybe it has no point whatsoever, but I like it.

I could easily see a 50 cal mounted to the roof.

Also this just popped up on my Twitter feed.

I was actually wondering the other day whether any companies did tiny RVs aside from those Bedford Bambis and the like.
It's probably just my yuri-colored glasses, but that image is just small enough and the lighting just ambiguous enough to make it look like the girl on top of the car is topless.

It's probably just my yuri-colored glasses, but that image is just small enough and the lighting just ambiguous enough to make it look like the girl on top of the car is topless.
I did a double-take just then, but it looks like she's wearing a pink top. And her arm is covering everything anyway...

I would like to know what the hell is going on with that bicycle though.

Back