Kei Central

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 817 comments
Found a slew of Subaru Rex brochures.

bb1d6ec0e4.jpg

Unrelated bonus:

The top pic is like a Speed Racer pose. Looks like him too.

The Honda is such a henchmen's mobile. I'd have that.

Last edited:
Not to start a hard argument or debate. Just see how many of these cars have the engine out back?
I was feeling the new Beetle could have been RR. Truth that the Beetle used a shared platform for cost. A bespoke chassis would cost too much. Plus, modern kei cars are mainly FF anyway. A small modern RR, just interests me, that's all.

Not to start a hard argument or debate. Just see how many of these cars have the engine out back?
I was feeling the new Beetle could have been RR. Truth that the Beetle used a shared platform for cost. A bespoke chassis would cost too much. Plus, modern kei cars are mainly FF anyway. A small modern RR, just interests me, that's all.
RR was a very common platform for compacts from the late 1930s to the mid 1960s. Because the technology for creating a front wheel drive car was largely unheard of so the RR layout had many benefits for the time compared to FR:
  • It was space efficient (lack of transmission tunnel and shorter front end)
  • Provided good traction
However, as cars like the Citroen Traction and the Mini that had and FF layout came around, people realized the FF layout was the best for those two things listed above. It has good traction but when the engine is mounted transversely, there is still no transmission tunnel like a RR AND you have a much larger area for luggage in the rear.
So RR started becoming out of date and less practical than FF cars as the years progressed.

Yeah, I'm not getting the revival of the Beetle conversation here @05XR8.

The original problem was that a RR Beetle wouldn't make sense in a modern context. That's still the case, and referencing a bunch of rear-engined kei cars from when the original Beetle was still on sale doesn't change that.

Could we keep things vaguely on-topic?...

a0797af8de.jpg

Yeah, I'm not getting the revival of the Beetle conversation here @05XR8.

The original problem was that a RR Beetle wouldn't make sense in a modern context. That's still the case, and referencing a bunch of rear-engined kei cars from when the original Beetle was still on sale doesn't change that.

Could we keep things vaguely on-topic?...

That's why I added, I didn't want to create a big debate, as we discussed in the other thread. I just love seeing these cars and it hits me in the feels.

More ads! (Just a few):

daihatsulegacy1.jpg

daihatsuvan.jpg

Trimobile01.jpg

I believe the Hijet isn't technically a kei (as sold in the UK, where that ad's from, at least) because of the engine (1.0 and 1.3 I think), but Japanese versions fit the regulations obviously. The ad reminds me very much of the old Citroen 2CV one ("faster than a Ferrari travelling 68mph" etc).

The "Legacy" appears to be a rebranded/retooled Daihatsu Mira converted to a pickup.

Back