Kia GT Sport Concept becomes the 2018 Kia Stinger

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 147 comments
I think the Kia Rio SX has a helluva lot of nice luxury features for a subcompact. Also most powerful engine in class without a turbo and 205/45-17 tires. An aftermarket stiffness kit ($345) with strut cross tube, rear sway bar and chassis brace is said to fix what's lacking in its handling.

article1.jpg

A Rio at the track

Kind of disappointing there's currently no manual option listed but this still looks pretty exciting. I'm wondering what the MSRP is gonna be projected at.

upload_2017-1-8_15-0-17.png

I have to say this guy is really right, this is the most awesome Kia I've ever see, and the fact this is a Kia, for a peruvian car guy, makes it even awesomer, coming from a country where you see a lot of times these Kias, this can be considered a game changer (like it's genesis nemesis) lol.
9P_00000.jpg
16Kia_Rio_Sedan_LX_UD_ClearWhite_LgtsOn_1302_001--trim-768x419.png

000101104W.jpg

The latter is Peru's official taxi if you ask ;). Can't wait to see it in the peruvian roads, since, I can call it, it can be really cheap here even with it's specs, considering the local popularity

This is a game changer for Kia, sales wise it will easily destroy Q50 and TLX, especially the latter.

Yes it is.

Cool. Kia did a great job with this car. I just wonder if they're gonna make a version to compete with the M3 and its ilk. I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to achieve that kind of power out of the turbo six.

For Australian market sedans, I think the Commodore(NG) is finished. It may have awd, but the Stinger is "Cool" (Hint hint).

Competition: The Genesis may pick up steam if it gets that V8 down here. For now, the SRT 300 is getting the job done. I don't know about Volvo's marketing strategy since laving Supercars. Ford have nothing, Nissan have nothing. A buyer has to look at BMW, Mercedes, Audi and that winds up getting expensive.

For Australian market sedans, I think the Commodore(NG) is finished. It may have awd, but the Stinger is "Cool" (Hint hint).

Competition: The Genesis may pick up steam if it gets that V8 down here. For now, the SRT 300 is getting the job done. I don't know about Volvo's marketing strategy since laving Supercars. Ford have nothing, Nissan have nothing. A buyer has to look at BMW, Mercedes, Audi and that winds up getting expensive.
Kia is cheaper at least :rolleyes:

Kia is cheaper at least :rolleyes:
At $40kAUD, Kia claims 5.1 to 100km/h and around 245km/h top speed. A Mazda 6 can't touch that. Plus the Kia has a longer warranty. They have a good reputation here as well.

Edit: @c172fccc I'm not sure if awd is available(in Australia, maybe only Europe)
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/FFFC362E16E598DFCA2580A2008218A7

And Kia are going after BMW, Mercedes and Audi
KIA’S coupe-styled Stinger sports sedan, revealed this morning at the Detroit motor show, is due to hit Australian showrooms in September of this year with an expected price range in the $40,000 bracket.

The turbo-V6-powered, rear-drive Stinger is pitched as a perception-transforming halo model for the South Korean brand globally, joining the ranks of car-makers that have made striking concept cars into production reality.

It also promises to provide Australians with an affordable rear-drive family four-door in the absence of locally made Falcons and Commodores.

For example, at 4831mm in length and 1869mm wide with a 2906mm wheelbase, the five-seat Stinger is only slightly smaller than a VF Holden.

Meanwhile, the 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6 petrol engine confirmed for Australian-delivered Stingers is on track to churn out 272kW of power at 6000rpm and 510Nm of torque from 1300-4500rpm in production form – similar figures to the dearly departed Falcon XR6 Turbo.

With an eight-speed automatic channelling drive to the rear wheels through a limited-slip differential, Kia expects zero to 100km/h to come up in 5.1 seconds.

Understandably, tyres will not be covered under Kia’s seven-year aftercare plan including factory warranty, capped-price servicing and roadside assist.

A less powerful 2.0-litre turbo-petrol will also be offered overseas, with an as-yet unconfirmed diesel likely for the European market and all-wheel-drive variants with torque vectoring to be available in snow-belt regions.

Like the Genesis sub-brand of Korean compatriot Hyundai, Kia’s Stinger will take it up to European luxury sedans from Audi, BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz. Its interior styling certainly appears to pay homage to the latter.

Last edited:
Cut me some slack when I type this, but it would look at home in an FCA line up. Almost like a baby sister to the Viper.
Stinger-8.jpg

Stinger-2.jpg

images

images

Edit: a little bit more info
http://www.caradvice.com.au/511702/...t-debut-for-272kw-rear-drive-korean-liftback/

- Possibly priced above the $45k Optima GT

- G-Force meter and lap times in TFT display

- Power figures yet to be set in stone

- Staggered fitment
the 3.3-litre V6 is shod with ultra-high performance rubber; 225/40R-19 in front and 255/35R-19 at the rear. Vented Brembo disc brakes (350mm) are standard on the 3.3-litre.

Last edited:
What a gorgeous car, Sportage aside I like the Kia design language but this is above anything else they've done.
It seriously is. I'm interested in vehicle weight and its handling.
A mate of mine has a clean 370rwkw XR6 Turbo. He's just told me he's very interested in this.

Kia had been quietly kicking the door down the last few years with their offerings.

Now with the Stinger making its appearance, Kia is making their names heard.

It's called the Stinger because it burns. Seriously, that thing is hideous with a capital F.

It's like a completely incongruous heap of vents and doohickeys.

I'll admit, the blue and white look a lot better than the red. (Watching the live stream) But still not that great looking. Not a fan of the Kia Optima roof.

Back