Kia GT Sport Concept becomes the 2018 Kia Stinger

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 147 comments
I'm impressed. It does look like it just walked (Drove?) out of a Grand Theft Auto game, though.

I feel like it would have more success in its life if it got the Genesis name badge, not the Kia, though. I mean, look at the Cadenza and the K900. Both are really nice cars, but who is going to willingly admit they paid 40-50 grand on a car brand who is best known for their sub 25 grand vehicles?

I mean, they made the whole Genesis brand because people weren't exactly 100% excited about buying a luxury Hyundai. The Genesis was amazing, and the Equus was a nice luxury car as well, but be honest: if you're shopping for luxury cars, is Kia or Hyundai a name that you immediately think of?

Here's to hoping it takes off, because I easily see this car becoming a cult classic.

@05XR8 What's the catch then :lol: this all sounds brilliant. Still wonder if people won't buy it because the of the badge.

That's exactly what happened to the K900 :indiff:

Is the eight speed auto the ZF one?

I'm assuming it is the same unit that's in the two Genesis models, and in that case, it is an 8-speed box that was designed in-house by Hyundai/Kia.

Overall, the car seems like a winner. It's a shame that no one will buy it. Looks that combine the best of Holden, Alfa, Audi, and the already good looks of Kia make it a more affordable show-stopper. Let's hope they got the chassis design right, because we already know the powertrain is pretty good.

I think they screwed up by making it an enormous GT. Nobody wants to drive a cigarette boat. Maybe they'll make a Stinger Sport that's a cheap fun e30ish car instead of this 6 series rs7 ish mess.

I think they screwed up by making it an enormous GT. Nobody wants to drive a cigarette boat. Maybe they'll make a Stinger Sport that's a cheap fun e30ish car instead of this 6 series rs7 ish mess.
Pretty sure this car competes against the 3-series. I think it just looks larger in photos than it actually is.

Pretty sure this car competes against the 3-series. I think it just looks larger in photos than it actually is.

It competes against the 4-series coupe hatch thing, doesn't it? It still looks gargantuan. Not liking the direction Hyundai/Kia is going in with these big cars. They don't look classic. Too trendy.

No this car is 190" long and 4200lbs. Directly in the middle of the A5 Sportback and A7.

A5: 185"
Stinger: 190"
A7: 195"

It competes against the 4-series coupe hatch thing, doesn't it? It still looks gargantuan. Not liking the direction Hyundai/Kia is going in with these big cars. They don't look classic. Too trendy.

Isn't that literally Kia's basis on existing though?

Kia (and sister Hyundai) is an incredibly successful emerging manufacturer of cars. They are worthy of a flagship bearing their own name. Living in the midst of urban density and scarce parking, I can personally have little interest in big, heavy, fast, rear-drive luxury flagships. However, I do have my eye on the luxurious little Rio SX, amongst other runabouts.

I'm impressed. It does look like it just walked (Drove?) out of a Grand Theft Auto game, though.

I feel like it would have more success in its life if it got the Genesis name badge, not the Kia, though. I mean, look at the Cadenza and the K900. Both are really nice cars, but who is going to willingly admit they paid 40-50 grand on a car brand who is best known for their sub 25 grand vehicles?

I mean, they made the whole Genesis brand because people weren't exactly 100% excited about buying a luxury Hyundai. The Genesis was amazing, and the Equus was a nice luxury car as well, but be honest: if you're shopping for luxury cars, is Kia or Hyundai a name that you immediately think of?

Here's to hoping it takes off, because I easily see this car becoming a cult classic.

That's exactly what happened to the K900 :indiff:
I would just take the current KIA badge off

and put the Kia 3.0 badge on it.

I don't see anything wrong with driving a "Kia". As long as the car is nice, the badge shouldn't be too much of an issue.

kia_stinger_main.jpg

Side markers

The Stinger was singled out as the Best Production Car by a global panel of senior designers after running their eyes over new cars presented at the annual show.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/C4E2D9E63A537CA7CA2580A5000A3AE6

That side marker is an awful bit of detailing. It's like the designer's mouse slipped just as he/she was saving the final signed off CAD file.

It looks like they were designing the car and forgot about American regulations so they decided to just stick it on the lights.

Well maybe I read the wrong article then.

You probably just read one of the many articles that are positioning this car as a 3 series competitor solely based on price and it being RWD, as well as it coming around the same time as the Genesis 3 series competitor.

So does this mean Kia has a surprise in store after the car is finished?
Only surprise(s) I see are, the final hp figures. Does it make 400hp or less than the initial 365? And if Kia pass on a possible Supercars announcement(with Garry Rogers Motorsport) rumour.

You probably just read one of the many articles that are positioning this car as a 3 series competitor solely based on price and it being RWD, as well as it coming around the same time as the Genesis 3 series competitor.
Now I remember what I saw. They said 4-series Gran Coupe.

That side marker is an awful bit of detailing. It's like the designer's mouse slipped just as he/she was saving the final signed off CAD file.

Thankfully if it ever came across the pond we probably wouldn't have them because side markers are not legally required.

I would just take the current KIA badge off

and put the Kia 3.0 badge on it.

I don't see anything wrong with driving a "Kia". As long as the car is nice, the badge shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I had to look up what the 3.0 Badge looked like. I don't think any car in the US currently is sold with that.

Thankfully if it ever came across the pond we probably wouldn't have them because side markers are not legally required.
It's part of the design, so it will still be on the car when it hits the UK.
...no.

Partly because that render is far less elegant than the original car, but mostly because the Stinger's 1900kg weight is easier to stomach as a four-door GT than it is a coupe.

Back