Lancia Stratos 15th Aniv Undriveable ?

• Thread starter Gabe Logan
  • 180 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
... or is it me ?

Seems backend just won't stick to the road. Every corner ends up spinning the thing and Traction Control or softer tires have no effect.

Seems very broken to me.

... or is it me ?

Seems backend just won't stick to the road. Every corner ends up spinning the thing and Traction Control or softer tires have no effect.

Seems very broken to me.

It's not the best idea to call every tough-to-drive car "broken". The Stratos has it's own unique drive because at it's time, it had a radical MR layout where weight transfer was very prevalent. This makes for a challenging drive, noy necessarily broken. Not every car is going to have M3 handling out the box.

Finish your braking before your turn in. Stay on the throttle during the turn to keep the weight transfered to the rear. You need to find that perfert throttle balance point. Too much will cause power oversteer, too little will cause braking oversteer. Once she's pointed in the right direction, throttle out for a fast exit.

I used the 15th annie Stratos for one of the events in National B (?). Not exactly the most fun car to take on a couple of laps of the Silverstone GP. If you so much as breathe on the wheel, it'll spin. And you have to baby the throttle, to the point you're seldom if ever running it flat. But it got me the win, after a few tries to get to grip so to speak with Maggotts and Becketts.

The Stratos was made with a tiny wheelbase so that it could change direction very quickly on tight rally stages You have to be more gentle and gradual with your inputs on a normal track.
This. The car really wasn't designed to go flat out on the nurburgring. It was designed to win rally races. But some dirt tires on it and go race some of the dirt tracks.

The Stratos was always a pain to drive with that small wheelbase, you need to be really precise when handling it, if you mess up it takes no prisoners and it's just gonna spit you out. The rally car is even worse considering the fact that you're dirt driving and you tend to do a buncha huge drifts just to keep it on the road XD Personally I don't really care about it being hard to drive, it looks too good to ignore! Plus it's a good motivation to get better so you can be worthy of driving such a handsome car :P

We were discussing this in the physics thread, I suggested using throttle and brake at the same time like Schumacher.

3-cdb57c3edc.jpg

Using throttle while braking stops the weight transfer from being too drastic, so the rear end of the car is less likely to try to go first!

Brake in straight, slowly turn in off-throttle (or "speed-maintenance" level of throttle), gently reapply throttle while turning back to straight. If you huck it into a corner over speed expecting the slide to slow you down like a FF car, it's going to spin off into a wall. It's not forgiving

It's the way that car is supposed to be, once you get the hang of it, it's one of the most dynamic and rewarding cars in the game. There's nothing like busting out a high speed sweeper with a touch of opposite lock as you clip the exit point.

Last edited:
The problem I find with MR over FF in GT is that if I mistake in the FF I end up ar least pointing the right way. With MR I hit 570 degree spineroo face first into a random wall stuck.

I'd say you need to dial the suspension in a lot unless you are ultra precise. Touch the grass with a rear wheel though and chances are your race is over.

We were discussing this in the physics thread, I suggested using throttle and brake at the same time like Schumacher.

3-cdb57c3edc.jpg

Using throttle while braking stops the weight transfer from being too drastic, so the rear end of the car is less likely to try to go first!

Ahhh! so that's why my brakes are melting!

There is challenging to drive... then there is down right ridiculous.

There are a fair few cars coming out of the woodwork that are so bad its not even funny. Lambo's / lotus and more

And its all very well saying .. you need to learn to drive it.. and its rewarding when you get it right.. SORRY.. but you should not be driving a car for 10 laps .. and not being able to string together a few decent consistent laps...because the car is to unpredictable or undriveable.

Drive the lotus europa around the ring as fast as you can... I will bet you come off at some point if your driving it at 8/10ths or more, no matter how good at gt you are. the car behaves incorrectly.

There is challenging to drive... then there is down right ridiculous.

There are a fair few cars coming out of the woodwork that are so bad its not even funny. Lambo's / lotus and more

And its all very well saying .. you need to learn to drive it.. and its rewarding when you get it right.. SORRY.. but you should not be driving a car for 10 laps .. and not being able to string together a few decent consistent laps...because the car is to unpredictable or undriveable.

Drive the lotus europa around the ring as fast as you can... I will bet you come off at some point if your driving it at 8/10ths or more, no matter how good at gt you are. the car behaves incorrectly.

You can't really say stuff like this because we have no idea of the relative skill levels of these players, or if they are using a wheel/pad. Cars like the Stratos are well known in real life as being some of the most difficult to drive and even "dangerous" cars in the world. People are able to drive them because they learn how to do it and possess great skills, just as those world class rally drivers did, but even they comment on how difficult these cars were to drive. The skill level of a high level rally driver is far far beyond the skill that an everyday joe gamer has.

If GT6 is to be a real simulator then there is no avoiding cars coming along that are undriveable to some people. Now I'm not saying the Stratos is perfect and I had quite a few adventures in it myself, but then I won a few races driving it by adjusting my driving style (albiet I started using the Schumacher brake + throttle technique).

How many people do you think could string together a couple of laps in a real Lancia Stratos at proper racing speeds?

You can't really say stuff like this because we have no idea of the relative skill levels of these players, or if they are using a wheel/pad. Cars like the Stratos are well known in real life as being some of the most difficult to drive and even "dangerous" cars in the world. People are able to drive them because they learn how to do it and possess great skills, just as those world class rally drivers did, but even they comment on how difficult these cars were to drive. The skill level of a high level rally driver is far far beyond the skill that an everyday joe gamer has.

If GT6 is to be a real simulator then there is no avoiding cars coming along that are undriveable to some people. Now I'm not saying the Stratos is perfect and I had quite a few adventures in it myself, but then I won a few races driving it by adjusting my driving style (albiet I started using the Schumacher brake + throttle technique).

How many people do you think could string together a couple of laps in a real Lancia Stratos at proper racing speeds?

Im trying to expain this from my point of view & Im not trying to make myself out to be the next Lucas Ordonez ... however.. I am pretty good at GT aswell as PC sims..and have been playing them on pads & wheels for many years.

There are cars in GT6 that are not at all realistic and are frankly undriveable. It is almost impossible to drive them even at slow speeds without something amiss happening.

I dont know if its the physics or new tyre model.. but something has changed from GT5 .. and its not for the better in some cases.

The Lancia Stratos was the same in GT5 from what I recall, as were the Lamborghinis and the high speed stability of the Honda NSX along with the Lotus cars has been terrible throughout all the Gran Turismo games they have been in (GT2/GT3/GT4 and GT5 for those particular models that I can remember).

I raced the Stratos (anniversary) around a few races and was able to adapt to it quite quickly, won a fair few races with it. The Acura 91 NSX is my most driven car and aside from the high speed stability (for example at high speed ring) it is incredible. Personally I'm not having many issues with undrivable cars, the Murcielago Chrome edition was absolutely horrible in GT5, I've yet to try it in GT6.

The high speed stability of a short wheelbase, MR car is going to always be questionable. They are light, the drastic weight transfer lifts the back end up, and the small wheelbase lets it spin like a top.

If you want to get good at driving the stratos, start by driving the modern Elise, then the 90's elise, then a Murrcielago LP640 (Yes, that's harder to control than an Elise :scared:), then go to the Stratos. Finally go to the Europa S2.

I mastered the Stratos on pad in GT5 and whenever I got it in shuffle races I was assured to win, unless someone had a Fiat Coupe Turbo to give me a run for my money.

The Stratos was tough to drive in GT5 as well. You have to be perfect, even then it's not all that fast in the scheme of things.

I do agree with SPORTVAN in that some MR vehicles just don't seem right, like the Audi R8 LMS. While others can be thrown around pretty hard before they bite back, like the Huarya or the 111R Race car.

IMVHO there have been several MR cars in the GT series that give you little, if any warning at the limit. My general remedy has been to actually go a bit more conservative, i.e. slightly softer springs & dampers and harder tires, especially in the rear. Yes, you do sacrifice grip (and you'll have to take the corners a little slower, which is not all bad) but most cars are more forgiving.

Back