Le Mans 2010 and GT5

You seriously think the tyres have a greater effect on the top speed of a car as opposed to the gearing, downforce levels, etc ?

I think you maybe should do some research into race car setup.

Tyres make you go around corners faster, they don't make you go faster down straights.

More downforce makes you go around corners faster, and slows you down on the straights.

That's not what I meant at all. My point was, why should the gearing, aerodynamics etc in the demo on the standard set up of the car, allow a much greater top speed than in real life, for a track on which top speed is a priority?

Of course, I know that tyres have a minimal effect on top speed, but they do help in acceleration.

That's not what I meant at all. My point was, why should the gearing, aerodynamics etc in the demo on the standard set up of the car, allow a much greater top speed than in real life, for a track on which top speed is a priority?

Of course, I know that tyres have a minimal effect on top speed, but they do help in acceleration.

Sorry, you just didn't make your point very clear, now that I understand what you are trying to say I see that you therefore must assume PD had access to the setup the Peugeots were running for the race, this is never going to happen.

So, really, there is no arguement, there are so many things which may have affected the top speed of the cars.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious one of fuel efficiency, the Peugeot, like all the other cars, had a fuel usage target to aim for, otherwise they'd have been in the pits every 9 or 10 laps, the GT Demo, one would assume, didn't have this fuel usage target.

You seriously think the tyres have a greater effect on the top speed of a car as opposed to the gearing, downforce levels, etc ?

I think you maybe should do some research into race car setup.

Tyres make you go around corners faster, they don't make you go faster down straights.

More downforce makes you go around corners faster, and slows you down on the straights.

With the Mulsanne straight at La Sarthe especially with the two chicanes, having stickier tires allow you to do more than just accelerate a bit faster coming out of Tetre Rouge and but also braking a bit later as you approach the first chicane. It's about reaching top speed in a short (less than 2km- FIA doesn't allow any straightaway to exceed that) amount of time/track.

It's possible that the car is running without its restrictor, hence the extra speed. The group C cars in GT4 were de-restricted giving them their qualifying HP, the engines would then be restricted for the race to allow the engine to last. These days the restrictor is enforced, rather than to save the engine (although in Peugeot's case I think they needed more restriction :P).

Sorry, you just didn't make your point very clear, now that I understand what you are trying to say I see that you therefore must assume PD had access to the setup the Peugeots were running for the race, this is never going to happen.

No, I don't believe that. If anything the car in the demo should be slower, because it hasn't been set up for high top speed (that we know of). I'm going to shut up now :lol:

anyone who doesn't think tyres has an effect on top speed hasn't played GT5:P much. Corner exit speed before a straight has a big effect on top speed reached down a straight!

If you can take the last turn before the straight at La Sarthe without braking, you'll go way faster, along with using standard physics off coruse

anyone who doesn't think tyres has an effect on top speed hasn't played GT5:P much. Corner exit speed before a straight has a big effect on top speed reached down a straight!

If you can take the last turn before the straight at La Sarthe without braking, you'll go way faster, along with using standard physics off coruse

That'll be me then, of course corner exit speed has an effect on how quickly you reach top speed, but it has little or no effect on what that top speed is going to be on a long straight like at Le Mans, Aerodynamics and engine mapping has a far greater effect on that.

There is a point at which the grip provided by the tyres is more than the engine needs to transfer full power to the track, thats when you loose the advantage of grippy tyres and the advantage of low downforce, more power takes over.

If you take the example of Prologue, you use R1 tyres as opposed to R3 tyres you have more PP to use for Power, so using Prologue is a bad example.

Last edited:
no.2-Peugeot-908-Fire.jpg

I don't want to see this in GT5. :(

That is the perfect picture for a speech bubble to be put in. The driver should be saying something like, "French piece of *loud engine boom*".

That is the perfect picture for a speech bubble to be put in. The driver should be saying something like, "French piece of *loud engine boom*".

The thing I don't understand is this, if you have two cars out with engine failure, do you tell your driver to drive it like he stole it? Even if you are only in forth place, it's an endurance race, surely a 4th overall would have been better than 4 DNF's, I'm talking about the Matmut Peugeot here.

I think Peugeot need to change their mindset for the next race, classic example of Tortoise and Hare.

The thing I don't understand is this, if you have two cars out with engine failure, do you tell your driver to drive it like he stole it? Even if you are only in forth place, it's an endurance race, surely a 4th overall would have been better than 4 DNF's, I'm talking about the Matmut Peugeot here.

I think Peugeot need to change their mindset for the next race, classic example of Tortoise and Hare.

I would drive it like it was made of glass. I'd rather finish the race than finish well. It's an accomplishment in itself to finish lemans. However I'm not sure if the engine failures were do to how hard the were run, or how long they were run.

Top speeds seems reasonable in pro mode I assume :)

[YOUTUBEHD]1y7GBcSGVB8[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]6O-yZq5FQ88[/YOUTUBEHD]

and some cockpit action and replay footage here
[YOUTUBEHD]XLLG5pl1IQ8[/YOUTUBEHD]

Last edited:
To add to the previous discussion about inaccurate lap times:

I think the 6 seconds of extra speed that gt5 has can be accounted for by:

1. The weight of the car doesn't include a driver or the fuel in gt5 prologue(and i assume its the same in the demo), so that's about 70kg, this costs an f1 car about 3 seconds per lap of spa. (And La Sarthe is twice the length of Spa with both being similar circuits.

2. The Aerodynamics in gt5 probably just model no wind and perfect wind density conditions with no humidity ect, and wind effects car's speed dramatically especially crosswinds.

3. The Tyres were R2's which are very soft, R1's would probably be a better tyre to use, (or the Super Hard Tyres in GT4)

4. The top speed was about 10km/h over the real life values and i think all of the factors mentioned account for this ( 10km/h is only a 2.9% error)

So we can see now, how this difference in laptime comes about.

Agree?

Last edited:
To add to the previous discussion about inaccurate lap times:

I think the 6 seconds of extra speed that gt5 has can be accounted for by:

1. The weight of the car doesn't include a driver or the fuel in gt5 prologue(and i assume its the same in the demo), so that's about 70kg, this costs an f1 car about 3 seconds per lap of spa. (And La Sarthe is twice the length of Spa with both being similar circuits.

2. The Aerodynamics in gt5 probably just model no wind and perfect wind density conditions with no humidity ect, and wind effects car's speed dramatically especially crosswinds.

3. The Tyres were R2's which are very soft, R1's would probably be a better tyre to use, (or the Super Hard Tyres in GT4)

4. The top speed was about 10km/h over the real life values and i think all of the factors mentioned account for this ( 10km/h is only a 2.9% error)

So we can see now, how this difference in laptime comes about.

Agree?

You forgot the Fear factor m8.

And i´m sure the track isn´t fully laserscanned so it´s unnecesary to compare.

He also doesn't realise that a 620kg F1 will notice 70kg a lot more than a 900kg LMP1 will.

Even NASCAR cars will notice that much weight added to it and those things are beastly heavy already. Weight is weight, added mass and will affect everything especially when it comes down to driving.

After looking at the Toscana day-night video, there's immense promise for perhaps the best endurance racing experiences in Gran Turismo history. You HAVE to be excited for lovely time cycles. The one thing I want to imagine is driver changes. It would be impossible to take a beating at Le Mans (or some other lengthy endurance) without having to change drivers. The promise is there, GTPlanet.

Even NASCAR cars will notice that much weight added to it and those things are beastly heavy already. Weight is weight, added mass and will affect everything especially when it comes down to driving.
I'm not saying an LMP1 won't notice 70kg, but it's much less of a percentage of total weight when compared to an F1.

Think I need to go on a diet then :(
Is that you in your avatar, you fat 🤬?

In-game sounds of - Peugeot 908 HDI FAP:

GT5:

Forza 3:

GTR2

VS
REAL LIFE:

Which game has the closest engine sound to the real life one?

GTR2 is good but there is way too much treble for a diesel revving around 4,000 rpm

Hard to hear the GT5 car with all the background noise but it sounded accurate. There is another video of the 908 flying by the trackside cameras in the demo and giving out a pretty accurate "whoosh" sound the Le mans diesels are famous for

Forza 3 sounds like a gasoline engine

In-game sounds of - Peugeot 908 HDI FAP:

GT5:

Forza 3:

GTR2

VS
REAL LIFE:

Which game has the closest engine sound to the real life one?

I think its abit unfair to compare GT5 since its not released quite yet and we were just looking at a one car-one course demo thrown together for a certain race so I won't really judge that one and instead look at two released products. I would say GTR2 is the closest. Forza just seems like they over did the sounds on the Diesel cars, all of them seem like they just got low revving V6s and tried to mimic it. What the GTR2 sound does well (though it could be slightly better) is that it nails how mechanical it sounds, that comes more from the gears and not the engine itself, which is something that all console games have not succeeded at doing even while GRID was probably the closest. Only complaint is it needs more work in low revs, it seems abit abrupt when it spools up out of a low gear in a slow corner. Funny enough though, it sounds more like something from the Audi R10.

Back