Lewis: I blew Alonso away in my rookie year

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mermadium
  • 56 comments
  • 8,684 views
Ok, Lewis, you are a very talented driver. But, you are getting very arrogant lately. The more races Lewis drives, the more arrogant he seems to become. I first cheered for him, but his arrogance have made that all gone away. He did not blew away Alonso, if Fernando didn't screw himself by moaning so much, he would've taken the title. I'm not going to say anymore on this because I just get frustrated everytime I read about the F1 year 2007.
 
Hamilton was able to drive in his rookie season at the same level as the 2x Wolrd Champion Alonso, that´s how he earned the respect of the people. But he didn´t blew Alonso away.
 
Hamilton was able to drive in his rookie season at the same level as the 2x Wolrd Champion Alonso, that´s how he earned the respect of the people. But he didn´t blew Alonso away.

+1

What Hamilton did holding his own against the twice World Champion was a significant achievement, but they both went into the last round with a shot at the title. Hardly blowing someone away.
 
Such a shame, I was starting to like Hamilton.
 
Hmm, see this is what Lewis does too much of - congragulating himself. As Coulthard noted half way through last year - he seems to be two completely different personalities in interview, at one moment he will be honest and speak whats on his mind. The next he will be all corporate-speak and modesty.

I honestly don't know what to think of him, I really, really want to like the guy and support him. But he just says and does too many things wrong for me.

Thats not to say Alonso wasn't a bit of a crybaby in that whole affair too though, both of them and Schumacher are examples of drivers I respect and enjoy watching, but don't have any particular connection with and I don't support them.
 
Here's the audio from that interview which I found on Johnnie Walker's website 👍 Pretty interesting clip to listen to... (sorry I'm not sure how to embed it...anyone know how? :dopey:)

http://www.johnniewalker.com/en-us/lewishamilton/

When Lewis says: "I blew Alonso away" it can be interpreted in two ways IMO. One in that he blew Alonso away from a competitive/result stand point (which is exaggeration obviously). The other way it can be interpreted is that he blew Alonso away from a mental aspect...basically he blew Alonso away in terms of the EXPECTATIONS Alonso had for Lewis, and the fact that he was a rookie. So who's to say how it should be interpreted... 💡

Either way, I like Lewis. To be the best you have to have the inner confidence and belief he has to compete and be successful at the highest level. At least this makes him fun to watch behind the wheel...which is all I really care about anyway ;) I watch F1 for the excitement of the racing...not to listen to what a bunch of jolly folks have to say between races lol
 
Last edited:
I've always been in two minds about Hamilton. As mentioned, he can either toe the corporate line, or he can speak his mind. It seems that people are never happy with either way of going about things, yet when an F1 driver does neither he's criticised as being dull.

At the end of the day I'd rather see someone trying to rock the boat a little than making politically correct comments all the time and saying what a great job everyone else is doing. I disagree that Hamilton "blew away" Alonso in his first season but he did make him look pretty damn silly a few times and Alonso's year-long whining completely turned me off him as a driver and as a personality so Hamilton looked better in comparison.

Either way, neither impresses me much in or out of the car as Schumacher does. Yeah, Schumi was arrogant too, especially when he was younger, but again, he has personality. You see him angry, you see him sad, you see him overjoyed... I'd far rather that than a faceless, corporate ass-kissing drone like a few of the other drivers manage to be.
 
I hated him in '07. It must have been so frustrating for the other drivers to be outperformed by a complete novice. But I felt for him when he lost the championship. The next year though, I was rooting for him instead of Massa, and in '09 I wasn't really that bothered about him, more concerned about how annoying the 'Buttonmania' stuff was getting, and how well Vettel was doing :D. But it doesn't seem fair to say stuff like that about what I would consider to be a far superior driver. Had Lewis been in a Toro Rosso for example, he wouldn't have done nearly as well, and he mainly kept himself out of trouble by having a car that could outrun most others.

Also, why isn't this in the F1 Subsection? (Or whatever it's called)
 
I hated him in '07. It must have been so frustrating for the other drivers to be outperformed by a complete novice. But I felt for him when he lost the championship. The next year though, I was rooting for him instead of Massa, and in '09 I wasn't really that bothered about him, more concerned about how annoying the 'Buttonmania' stuff was getting, and how well Vettel was doing :D. But it doesn't seem fair to say stuff like that about what I would consider to be a far superior driver. Had Lewis been in a Toro Rosso for example, he wouldn't have done nearly as well, and he mainly kept himself out of trouble by having a car that could outrun most others.

Also, why isn't this in the F1 Subsection? (Or whatever it's called)

And how do you know this as fact?

I don't see how Vettel has done anything that would clearly show/prove that he is better than Hamilton. Personally, I think they're both VERY good drivers (in the top 5 at the very least), and are both capable of blistering one lap pace. I think the difference between the two is that Hamilton is a fair bit better racer, in terms of his ability to pass and move up the grid when it matters. Vettel has still yet to prove himself in that regard.

I also think it's a bit early to say that he is better than Hamilton when he has yet to win a WDC, and hasn't felt the pressure of fighting off his rivals in such a pressure situation. Last year it was the other way around, where his approach to racing in the latter half of the year was all or nothing in a car that was the best on the grid at most, if not all tracks.
 
I seem to remember a certain STR3 going around a MP4-23 at Interlagos one year....;)

Vettel has his weaknesses too, but as a personality he is far more likable. I think its fair to compare Vettel and Hamilton now, both have been in F1 around the same amount of time, but one has had far superior machinery and a superior team all his career. Only last year did Vettel have championship-worthy machinery and he was denied through a variety of reasons, some his own mistakes, some the teams, some bad luck, etc.
Last year was the first time ever that Lewis had a car that was not competitive in his entire career (including going back to karting), its difficult to analyse how much of the return to wins was down to him but 2009 was very impressive. Shades of Alonso's 2008 season. His confidence took a hit though and I actually really connected with him during the first few races when he struggled and had to force the corporate speak out in interviews, except for the lying of course...
But now he's back to full confidence and I wonder what happened to that Hamilton I saw at Spain 2009. I don't want to sound like I want to see him struggle and wish for him a bad time but it just felt refreshing that he didn't keep up the seemingly false smiles and PR rubbish.

Equally, I wavered with Vettel too last season, he seemed to lose his cool a couple of times and has become a little more serious. Its a bit of a shame but at least he hasn't completely lost his sense of humour. Hopefully it comes back in fuller force now he knows what the pressure is like. This is interestingly where Button was quite exceptional - none of his interviews came across as stressed even though he later admitted to it. At least not anything wildly different to what he would say after a bad qualification in the RA108 anyway. :lol:
 
Last edited:
I seem to remember a certain STR3 going around a MP4-23 at Interlagos one year....;)

Vettel has his weaknesses too, but as a personality he is far more likable. I think its fair to compare Vettel and Hamilton now, both have been in F1 around the same amount of time, but one has had far superior machinery and a superior team all his career. Only last year did Vettel have championship-worthy machinery and he was denied through a variety of reasons, some his own mistakes, some the teams, some bad luck, etc.
Last year was the first time ever that Lewis had a car that was not competitive in his entire career (including going back to karting), its difficult to analyse how much of the return to wins was down to him but 2009 was very impressive. Shades of Alonso's 2008 season. His confidence took a hit though and I actually really connected with him during the first few races when he struggled and had to force the corporate speak out in interviews, except for the lying of course...
But now he's back to full confidence and I wonder what happened to that Hamilton I saw at Spain 2009. I don't want to sound like I want to see him struggle and wish for him a bad time but it just felt refreshing that he didn't keep up the seemingly false smiles and PR rubbish.

Equally, I wavered with Vettel too last season, he seemed to lose his cool a couple of times and has become a little more serious. Its a bit of a shame but at least he hasn't completely lost his sense of humour. Hopefully it comes back in fuller force now he knows what the pressure is like. This is interestingly where Button was quite exceptional - none of his interviews came across as stressed even though he later admitted to it. At least not anything wildly different to what he would say after a bad qualification in the RA108 anyway. :lol:

I think it all comes down to the pay check and all of the sponsors Hamilton has to please :dopey: Either way, it should be interesting to hear the post race interviews next year between Hamilton and Button :lol:
 
Last edited:
I have hated Hamilton from the day he arrived in Formula 1, such a cocky arrogant tosser. Sure he has the talent but now he can't stand that he's last years news and the general population have moved on to Button. Plus his pussy cat doll left him so his huge ego is probably feeling quite dented at the moment.

Making statments like a blew Alonso away is just pointless and empty, when you win multiple championships and have a career as long as his come back and say it then. For all we know he could be a one hit wonder and just disappear into history.

I dont think him or Button will have such a dominating career as some other drivers in the past. Button championship was such a fluke because his car was so much better than the rest of the field for nearly half a season, Hamiltons win was not but that doesnt mean he is the self styled new Senna.

Robin.
 
I think he didn't meant it like that to blow away Alonso on his rookie. If he did meant that then he doesn't think straight. But hate is a bit too much for me. He is a good driver so is Alonso 👍
 
I have hated Hamilton from the day he arrived in Formula 1, such a cocky arrogant tosser. Sure he has the talent but now he can't stand that he's last years news and the general population have moved on to Button. Plus his pussy cat doll left him so his huge ego is probably feeling quite dented at the moment.

I don't understand all of the hate toward Lewis. A lot of it seems more like made up thoughts in ones head to satisfy themselves and their hate/insecurity toward a successful man. I mean he's really not that bad of a guy, yet people act like he's the biggest piece of scum walking the earth, who doesn't deserve anything and should be living under a cardboard box :lol:

Making statments like a blew Alonso away is just pointless and empty, when you win multiple championships and have a career as long as his come back and say it then. For all we know he could be a one hit wonder and just disappear into history.

Like I said earlier, that statement can be interpreted in two ways. Of course if you already have a great disdain for the man, you will interpret the statement in the way you want.

I dont think him or Button will have such a dominating career as some other drivers in the past. Button championship was such a fluke because his car was so much better than the rest of the field for nearly half a season, Hamiltons win was not but that doesnt mean he is the self styled new Senna.

Robin.

I agree as far as Button is concerned...IMO, anyone who flops for as long as he did in the 2nd half of the season (when he actually faced competition) shouldn't be concerned one of the greats amongst the grid. But next season will determine that once and for all.

It's also unlikely that neither of them will have as dominating careers as someone like Schumacher, but this is just due to the current state of Formula 1. Formula 1 has never seen this many talented drivers at the top, nor have their been this many competitive teams due to the budget restrictions, rule stabilization, and ability to acquire good/competitive technology. But this doesn't mean the 5 or so top drivers on the grid atm, aren't just about as talented of drivers as Formula 1 has ever seen.

I think he didn't meant it like that to blow away Alonso on his rookie. If he did meant that then he doesn't think straight. But hate is a bit too much for me. He is a good driver so is Alonso 👍

👍
 
Last edited:
I don't understand all of the hate toward Lewis. A lot of it seems more like made up thoughts in ones head to satisfy themselves and their hate/insecurity toward a successful man. I mean he's really not that bad of a guy, yet people act like he's the biggest piece of scum walking the earth that doesn't deserve anything, and who should be living in a cardboard box :lol:

I don't have any hate or insecurity to a successful man, theres being successful graciously then being the guy who loards it over everyone. Seriously the fact that he wears a Senna helmet put me of instantly, who does he think he is. Even Schumacher (who is also quite arrogant) was never this cocky early on in his career.

Some of these drivers (particularly the young ones) act to much like spoilt playboys.

Robin.
 
I don't have any hate or insecurity to a successful man, theres being successful graciously then being the guy who loards it over everyone. Seriously the fact that he wears a Senna helmet put me of instantly, who does he think he is. Even Schumacher (who is also quite arrogant) was never this cocky early on in his career.

Some of these drivers (particularly the young ones) act to much like spoilt playboys.

Robin.

How does he "loard" it over everyone? You could say the same thing for Button when he did his "We are the Champions" singing after winning the WDC last year :lol: Give the guy a break...

And what's wrong with a man paying tribute to his fallen hero, by wearing a helmet that shares a resemblance to Senna's? I guess he should be taken to the stake and burned for that one to :rolleyes:
 
How does he "loard" it over everyone?

That was a typo sorry, have you ever seen any of his interviews? Back in the day ITV loved dedicating hours to interviewing him and 5 mins for everyone else.

And what's wrong with a man paying tribute to his fallen hero, by wearing a helmet that shares a resemblance to Senna's? I guess he should be taken to the stake and burned for that one to

Your joking right?, I consider that a total insult to Senna and everything he stood for. You don't go parading round in dead peoples clothing (even if similar) as a symbol. There are many other ways you can honor peoples memories.

Robin.
 
That was a typo sorry, have you ever seen any of his interviews? Back in the day ITV loved dedicating hours to interviewing him and 5 mins for everyone else.

Robin.

Oh wow, and that's REALLY his fault, and something to be ashamed about... :rolleyes:
 
I don't get the hate for Hammie either...

Well... Lie-Gate is worthy of a few whacks of the paddle... but the institutionalized mindset and pressure teams put on young drivers is what caused this... remember, Lewis actually told the truth first, then changed his story after his boss talked to him.

And that's Hamilton's problem. Arrogance, not. All champions are arrogant. It's in the job-description. If you don't have the utter, absolute belief in your ability and right to win... you won't. Which is how Schumacher steamrolled over every team-mate he's ever had. He didn't do it merely through driving well (though he is one of the greats... ), but with psychology and politics.

Alonso argued long and hard with McLaren over the Number One spot on the team. Because he knew that he needed their full support for a championship run.... something he was able to get for himself at Renault. He may come off as a prima-donna... but that's because he is focused and hungry for that crown. It's similar, to me, to Juan Pablo Montoya... but Montoya didn't have the personality and push to get his way... not like Alonso does.

Kimi's arrogance is of a different sort. He has a very zen-like focus and a "sod-the-media-let's-race" attitude. Silent and humble? If humble is getting falling-down drunk between races... I guess...

Massa... well... he's a different sort. More of a team-player than any of those others... and a real ikeable guy. Would have made a nice champion. But he wasn't. Sadly for him. There are very few genuinely nice champs.

You may look at some sports champions and say: but those guys were nice... Yeah... it's easy to be nice to another guy after you've pummeled his face into hamburger after twelve rounds of boxing... Michael Jordan was the poster boy of "nice" in basketball, but he was ruthless on-court... arrogant in the locker room... and sometimes his PR-friendly soundclips were chosen more for "psych" than anything else.

-

Hamilton's problem over the past two years has been a distinct lack of personality. If he wasn't so damn fast on the track, you wouldn't actually know he was there. He needs the swagger. He needs to pump himself up and make himself hungry for the title. He has to be of one mind... that he is the best... if he's going to get that crown this year. I like this direction.

As long as he doesn't lapse back into corporate poster boy, this bodes well for his future.

-

Oh, Vettel for WDC. :lol:
 
Oh wow, and that's REALLY his fault, and something to be ashamed about... :rolleyes:

Um, I was refering to what he said in those interviews not the fact he did them, was that not obvious?
 
I don't get the hate for Hammie either...

Well... Lie-Gate is worthy of a few whacks of the paddle... but the institutionalized mindset and pressure teams put on young drivers is what caused this... remember, Lewis actually told the truth first, then changed his story after his boss talked to him.

And that's Hamilton's problem. Arrogance, not. All champions are arrogant. It's in the job-description. If you don't have the utter, absolute belief in your ability and right to win... you won't. Which is how Schumacher steamrolled over every team-mate he's ever had. He didn't do it merely through driving well (though he is one of the greats... ), but with psychology and politics.

Alonso argued long and hard with McLaren over the Number One spot on the team. Because he knew that he needed their full support for a championship run.... something he was able to get for himself at Renault. He may come off as a prima-donna... but that's because he is focused and hungry for that crown. It's similar, to me, to Juan Pablo Montoya... but Montoya didn't have the personality and push to get his way... not like Alonso does.

Kimi's arrogance is of a different sort. He has a very zen-like focus and a "sod-the-media-let's-race" attitude. Silent and humble? If humble is getting falling-down drunk between races... I guess...

Massa... well... he's a different sort. More of a team-player than any of those others... and a real ikeable guy. Would have made a nice champion. But he wasn't. Sadly for him. There are very few genuinely nice champs.

You may look at some sports champions and say: but those guys were nice... Yeah... it's easy to be nice to another guy after you've pummeled his face into hamburger after twelve rounds of boxing... Michael Jordan was the poster boy of "nice" in basketball, but he was ruthless on-court... arrogant in the locker room... and sometimes his PR-friendly soundclips were chosen more for "psych" than anything else.

-

Hamilton's problem over the past two years has been a distinct lack of personality. If he wasn't so damn fast on the track, you wouldn't actually know he was there. He needs the swagger. He needs to pump himself up and make himself hungry for the title. He has to be of one mind... that he is the best... if he's going to get that crown this year. I like this direction.

As long as he doesn't lapse back into corporate poster boy, this bodes well for his future.


-

Oh, Vettel for WDC. :lol:

Nice post 👍

In response to the bold writing:

I think Hamilton will always have that inner confidence and belief that he can win even if the odds are against him...that will most likely never be an issue for him. It may not be portrayed when he does an interview...but when he gets behind the wheel, you better damn well bet that switch is turned on and he turns into a self possessed man with one intent - to win. He definitely hasn't gotten to where he is today with some sort of lack of confidence/hunger from an early age. Afterall, he did walk up to Ron Dennis at the age of 10 and told him with a lot of confidence and inner belief (which probably really impressed Ron) that he would one day race for Mclaren and Mr. Dennis...which in itself is impressive for such a young boy to do.

I agree in regards to him showing a lack of personality, which is mostly a front that he must put on to please the corporate side/his sponsors who are looking for the perfect, polite, role model which attracts media/buyers to their company. Not only that, but for the past couple of years, he's been under the spotlight to be Mr. Perfect on and off track. With that said, he must watch anything negative that comes out of his mouth, as we've seen how the media likes to blow things up whenever they get the chance...so instead he tries to play it save and just do his job the best he can.

This business savy is what has helped Hamilton and Mclaren become the successful team that they are. Driving talent will only get your so far nowadays...you must be a good business man as well (which sometimes doesn't please all).

Um, I was refering to what he said in those interviews not the fact he did them, was that not obvious?

Nope, it was not obvious to me.
 
Last edited:
...Well done, would you like a cookie? :lol: jk

Regardless, it wasn't obvious nor clear. He goes from asking a question, to answering the question and stating that ITV loved dedicating hours to interviewing him and only gave everyone else 5 minutes...as if the amount of media coverage Hamilton got was his reason to hate.

But I now understand what he really meant :dunce:

That was a typo sorry, have you ever seen any of his interviews? Back in the day ITV loved dedicating hours to interviewing him and 5 mins for everyone eles.
 
Last edited:
You don't go parading round in dead peoples clothing (even if similar) as a symbol. There are many other ways you can honor peoples memories.

Robin.

Senna-Oreca-Barcelona-01_640x408.jpg


Damon_Hill_1995_notobaccoad.jpg


?
 
I was suprised at the pace he was able to show immediately, but he managed to still show he was a rookie in 2007.
Arrogance is a trait he was always going to have, with Ron Dennis standing at his side as a 10 year old, and he saying "Ï will drive for you."
Having the current champ the season before champ and the all time champ this year in the same team will make it a season to watch though.
 
And that's Hamilton's problem. Arrogance, not. All champions are arrogant. It's in the job-description. If you don't have the utter, absolute belief in your ability and right to win... you won't. Which is how Schumacher steamrolled over every team-mate he's ever had. He didn't do it merely through driving well (though he is one of the greats... ), but with psychology and politics.

I disagree, you don't necessarily have to be arrogant to win the championship, there is a difference from confidence and arrogance even if it is a fine line.

I can think of several champions who were not arrogant at all, they weren't in your face about how great they were but they knew they could do it. Damon Hill immediately comes to mind, Jenson has been pretty good too. I never heard bad things about or see arrogance from interviews from Jim Clark or Graham Hill either.

Not that I agree with the opinion Hamilton is massively arrogant - I really can't decide. He is a confusing personality.
 
Roo
Picture of Bruno Senna with a helmet similar to his own uncle's Ayrton[IMG]

[IMG]Picture of Damon Hill with a helmet similar to his own father's Graham[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that those situations are similar? Well, I'm not even sure that Hamilton's helmet has anything to do with Senna's (never noticed that to be honest) but in any case ... family heritage is family heritage and I think that it is not only justified as it is also something I like to see.

One good example. THe last driver I "loved" was Gilles Villeneuve. Never cared much for his son Jacques, but one thing I liked about him was that he used a similar helmet to his own father's (although different, as it should be). That shows pride, but also recognition and respect for what your father/uncle did and who he was.
 
He goes from asking a question, to answering the question and stating that ITV loved dedicating hours to interviewing him and only gave everyone else 5 minutes...as if the amount of media coverage Hamilton got was his reason to hate.

But I now understand what he really meant :dunce:

That is partly because most of the UK viewers would be more interested in hearing what Hamilton and Button have to say, rather than the other drivers, part of the stupid 'Support the Brits' thing.

That was one of the reasons I didn't him like at least, and Button.
 
Back