List of cars that shouldn't even be in this game.

  • Thread starter Thread starter kdryan
  • 201 comments
  • 14,825 views

Which of these cars are suitable for racing?

  • Volvo 240GL Wagon

    Votes: 36 10.1%
  • '88 Honda Accord 4 Door

    Votes: 19 5.3%
  • i-Miev

    Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Honda Fit Mini-Van

    Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Suzuki Swift

    Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Suzuki Swift

    Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Kubelwagen

    Votes: 22 6.2%
  • Volkswagen New Beetle

    Votes: 15 4.2%
  • Karmann Ghia

    Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Volkswagen Bus

    Votes: 13 3.7%
  • You can race them all

    Votes: 185 52.0%

  • Total voters
    356
Toyota prius, or any hybrid for that matter, or even the electric cars, because they are the devil.
 
Crap. Can someone tell me how to edit my poll? I've never done one.
 
It's called the "Real Driving Simulator",

not the "Real Racing Simulator". ;)

I'll agree that there are a lot of cars I don't agree with being in the game, for racing purposes,

but for everyone of us that feel that way, there will be an equal number of people that do like it.

Although I don't see how anyone could be happy with having several similar cars,

with such minor differences as to only serve the purpose of someone being able to say that their exact car was in the game (Miata, Skyline, etc...)

As for it being a "car collecting" game, I think that premise was clearly eliminated with the trading ban.
 
So far I am batting 1000. Just about every car on my list has been shown to have been raced at one time or another. :)
 
D: the Volvo 240 and the Ghia are on here ?
No love for the 240 and ghia is quite absurd, those cars need to be premium. If anything shouldn't be in the game, it's 90% of the FD RX7's. I looked in the Apex book, theres 2 Rx7's, where one is 10mm shorter and i think 5mm wider.
 
As for it being a "car collecting" game, I think that premise was clearly eliminated with the trading ban.

Not absolutely so, it could just be car collection not in a capitalist system, but one with a dictatorial dealer who happen to own every single car in the world, and you can't sell it back to him....
 
So far I am batting 1000. Just about every car on my list has been shown to have been raced at one time or another. :)

That's my point, anything under the sun can be raced. The fact that you can make a group B monster out of a shabby MG metro proves the point.

mgmetro01.JPG


1984-mg-metro-6r4.jpg


nothing is too boring or weird to be raced, it's all about personal reference.
 
That's my point, anything under the sun can be raced. The fact that you can make a group B monster out of a shabby MG metro proves the point.


1984-mg-metro-6r4.jpg


nothing is too boring or weird to be raced, it's all about personal reference.

Reminds me of the Suzuki Escudo :yuck:
 
All cars in I say. More cars for that matter. More old Formula 1's like the one with four front tyres from the late 70's or early 80's.

The iMiev is good because one of it's colors is awesome. 'Rasberry Red Pearl' on my Lamborghini Merchialago looks fantastic. Plus my 3 year old loves to drive the 'cordless drill' around SS5.

My Volvo 240 has race suspension so that I could lower the front, raise the back, max camber, paint it purple and put a stupid wing on the back. Mmmmmm!

Again, not less cars for me, more cars.
 
They all belong. They're cars.

Well hell then. Let's get busy. They obviously missed out on putting the AMC Pacer and the Ford Pinto in. How could they miss those cutting edge cars? So much fun to race in, so much fun to hit from behind and watch them burn!!

(actually, I might pay for a Pinto DLC if when you hit it from behind it actually DID blow up and burn!!):D
 
X2010. Absolutely ruined this game.

100 frickin' % agreed.


But all the others, absolutely fine with. I really quite like the challenge of taking a small econobox and making it competetive with cars 4 or 5 times the cost.
 
Well, after reading this I think that it's going to be impossible to decide until it is decided what kind of game this is. That of course will never be agreed on.

IMHO, It's a racing game. It is not a 'Driving Simulator', unless you regularly drive your Team Oreco Viper at 200 mph to the Piggly Wiggly for groceries or a Jaguar XJ13 down the 405 on your way to work. I'm pretty sure that's not what Kaz meant. It is not a car collecting game. I collect them, it's fun, I have painted my GT350 about 20 times now looking for the closest shade to Ford's Grabber Blue (French Blue is it, btw). But the original focus is racing, not collecting. The cars are there to try racing different types of vehicles. They're not Pokemon cards.

So the question of whether any car is not suitable for this game is kind of moot, I guess.
 
Agreed. Since when does Red Bull manufacture cars? I thought they made horrible tasting, overpriced energy drinks that are only palatable with vodka or Jagermeister. Having it be the best car in the game is rather insulting to the great RL car manufacturers, IMHO.

Because like... its not as if Red Bull are the world champion F1 team, or have by far the fastest car or anything.
 
They all belong?

Mazda 110S (L10A) '67
Mazda 110S (L10B) '68
Mazda Cosmo Sport (L10A) '67
Mazda Cosmo Sport (L10B) '68

All more or less the same car. Why not drop 3 of them, and make one different one?

This probably also goes for 75% of the skylines, mx-5s and s2000s.

I can understand the reasoning for including a Yaris/Vitz, to give us an impression of how they are for racing, BUT 10 OF THEM? Why? They dont behave differently at all, and you'd get as much variety having just one model and letting us tune it with the different tuning options.

Including 10, 20 or even 50 different Skylines is still much easier than adding an entirely different model of car. That's why.
 
So has anyone ever figured if you take out the duplicates how many cars we REALLY have?
 
Because like... its not as if Red Bull are the world champion F1 team, or have by far the fastest car or anything.

Ahh yes...the famous auto manufacturers of legend in the mind of automotive aficianados - Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari, Bugatti, Ford, Porsche, and....Red Bull?

Personally I don't give a flying crap about some ridonkulous OP fantasy car made by a company most famous for the stuff they mix my Jager with.
 
Well, after reading this I think that it's going to be impossible to decide until it is decided what kind of game this is. That of course will never be agreed on.

IMHO, It's a racing game. It is not a 'Driving Simulator'....


Odd that PD would choose to include that in the game's title then. :indiff:

Unless the Japanese word for racing translates to driving. :lol:


The biggest single problem with this game,

is the fact that everyone believes that their way of enjoying this game is the only right way,

and they love to come here and let the world know about it.

I'm sure that somewhere, there is a player who only collects the Midget and thinks that anything over 100hp shouldn't be in the game,

because that is what brings them enjoyment in this game.

The GT series has always been the closest thing to a 'sandbox' game that a racer could be,

and the moment that we try to define what the "proper" way to play it is,

is the moment we take away what it is that made the GT series special to begin with.
 
I haven't got Gran Turismo 5, but I can look at the car list and appreicate what has gone into it. Too me personally, this thread is ridiculous. Gran Turismo isn't just about racing, its about car collecting. And there are other cars out there than Ferraris and Lamborghinis!
 
In my opinion the F1 (and FGT) and ridiculous Redbull 'thing' shouldn't be in the game, why - because there's other games that cater for F1 cars and historically GT/Gran Turismo (in real life) usually is associated with road cars or race cars, other than open wheeled singled seaters.

Also, despite being a huge aircooled VW fan, I also think the schwimmy(wagon) and Kubel were also a bit ridiculous, maybe one of them, but not both. The Samba bus has a novelty value and the Ghia looks stunning in real life when modified, but in a racing game, we don't need them all.

Same applies to the large amounts of the same model, but with very slightly different specifications i.e. MX5s/Miatas, RX7s, Skylines, even cars like the Lotus Esprit (which I'm a huge fan of), why have a SE and a GT model of this in the used when the 350 is so much better and there's another (premium)Esprit in the new dealership.

I just think Polyphony need to reduce the car list by 10-20% with regard to cars being very similiar (as mentioned above), and then the time, money and resource they save by doing this be applied to other area's of the game that so desperately need attention / updating i.e. Aspec, course creator, online connectivity, livery editor, race modifications, more premiums, engine swaps(PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) etc etc.

Or, use the time, money and esource they save to try and include a greater variety of models and manufacturers. Alot of the cars in the 'wishlist' threads for gran turismo, on this site, are excellent choices and would really make the game a whole lot better.

I've seen the car list for Forza, and in my opinion there's at least 5-10 cars on that list, which aren't in GT, that make me dribble.

Alot of the slowest do have a novelty value (Panda, 2CV etc etc), and I do believe some, or alot of these should be included, but when so many big name / classic / cult cars are not included it does make GT look a bit silly.

I can't drive an old skool M3, Golf Rallye / Mk2 GTi, Cossie, Ferrari 355 / 288gto, classic touring / race / F1 cars, but there's plenty of 'copy' cars and mickey mouse novelty cars to drive round a track, at a er...um...tyre melting 35mph.

Polyphony need a wake up call, big time, they've lost the plot.
 
'88 Honda Accord 4 Door - Why has this been put in here. It's fantastic to drive.
 
one less miata and skyline
 
Ahh yes...the famous auto manufacturers of legend in the mind of automotive aficianados - Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari, Bugatti, Ford, Porsche, and....Red Bull?

Personally I don't give a flying crap about some ridonkulous OP fantasy car made by a company most famous for the stuff they mix my Jager with.

You can moan all you want, Red bull took the Jaguar team and by the end of the 2009 season they had the fastest car on the track, the 2010 car developed into by far the fastest F1 car ever produced (atleast on par with the 2004 Ferrari). Adrian Newey the designer is considered one of the geniouses of motorsport.


Mercedes, they bought a private owned team that is still run by the same people, this isnt some historic prestige team. Ferrari and Mclaren are the only 2 F1 teams that remain intact as legendary manufacturer teams.

Drinks company or not, Red Bull are the real deal as a racing team and they have proved that, the addition of the X1/X2010 to the game (regardless of pet hate) has been both beneficial to the game (in sales) and the Red Bull brand/team.

Love it or hate it, Red Bull make the fastest cars until otherwise proven, so it is no insult to "legendary" car manufacturers when their car is the fastest in this game.
 
Ferrari 458 Italia
Ferrari Enzo
Lamborghini Gallardo
McLaren F1

Why did they waste their time with these horrible cars when they could have made me my latest model Honda Jazz? Seriously. PD is biased against the newer Japanese cars man...

Weard choice. Ferrari 458 Italia is one of the moste amezing ferraris out there. watch Top gear where they tested it.

Ferrari Enzo i kinda get that one whene it comes to the disappointing handling

Gallardo wtf why dont u whant that car in game?

Mclaren F1 am just shoked.

I would remove Tank car.

Why remove volvo:O I still havent found it in used. and am lvl 35
 
Last edited:
volvo_850_btcc.jpg


Yeah, volvos suck. :dunce:

I'm not kidding when I say that the Volvo was one of the cars I was most excited about being on the car list and the first car I was excited to find in the used lot. As I say every time this thread pops up, the "crap" you listed is the reason other people bought the game. I couldn't care less if the 458 was in the game. I bought GT5 because it has older, more unusual cars for a video game.

I was also excited when the Karmann Ghia made it into the OCD as I hadn't found one yet. Sadly the fit is automatic only so it's not great, but the manual versions are quite fun to drive.

Go to a site like jalopnik or the car lounge and see how excited people get over a tuned up volvo wagon, or another ferrari. Ignoring that, how many racing games have Ferraris, and how many have something weird and different?

edit: in addition to all that, where is your evidence that any of these cars took a spot from something else. Everyone seems to assume that if the iMiev wasn't in the game we'd get another insane super car, this might not be the case.
 
Last edited:
All of them should be included.

I would love see more elder normal family cars and tune them;)




 
Last edited:
All you people want is supercars, tuners and X1's. You have no imagination for odd and slow cars. The game would not be a GT game if it wasn't for theses odd cars which have been with us since GT1.

From what i have read on this topic Gran Turismo is not the series for you if all that you want is fast cars.
 
They all belong in the game.

If you don't like a car and you don't need it to win an event, don't get it!

What's worse: having the option to have one thing or another or nothing at all? I don't like some of the dinky city cars that GT5 tosses my way, nor do I want all the Skylines in the game or all the Fairladies in the game or some of the weirder cars like the Samba, Kubelwagen or Schwimmwagen. In flight simulators, there are people who get a kick out of flying the smaller Cessnas and Pipers and ultralights while I look for the fighter jets and stuff. Does that mean the Cessnas and Pipers should not be in the sim? There's someone out there who enjoys them, even if that someone's not me.

And in regards to cars like the X2010 and the Formula GT, I'm surprised more simulators DON'T have made-up ultimates in their inventories, designed to push the engine of the simulator to its limits in something that should be possible should someone have the resources and a reason to build one. They remind the player that the simulator is still a game, and that you can take risks that you can't in real life, at least not with the technology of the day. Again, someone would get a kick out of them for the experience and not to leave butthurt drivers in their wake.
 
I believe all cars belong in this game because of the fact it's not a racing simulator, but a DRIVING simulator. Not only you get to drive race cars, you get to ride in pretty much any car available on the streets today.
 
Back