Logitech G29 / G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel

• Thread starter drivatar
  • 1,154 comments
He confirmed it by ending his post with IMO?

This doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint. Why would anyone buy this wheel if you can buy a G27 for $200 that includes good pedals and a basic shifter, when this wheel appears to use the same base as the G27 and has no shifter? They'd never sell a single one of these wheels unless it was priced in the $150 range without the shifter.
Well if I look at webshop pricing here, you basically can't get a G27 for less than €250. Seems unlikely to me that it sells for $200 outside of special occasions.

Let's assume a ramp up of sales of the G29 (if real). At first they are content to sell off old G27 stock, and gradually replace with new G29 stock. Players have an incentive to switch in order to have PS4 menu control support, probably slightly newer tech and FFB motors, probably an improved shifter. Very similar to Thrustmaster, basically.

This doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint. Why would anyone buy this wheel if you can buy a G27 for $200 that includes good pedals and a basic shifter, when this wheel appears to use the same base as the G27 and has no shifter? They'd never sell a single one of these wheels unless it was priced in the $150 range without the shifter.
I made sense for Thrustmaster and Fanatec to do it. Why wouldnt it make sense for Logitech to do it?

Well if I look at webshop pricing here, you basically can't get a G27 for less than €250. Seems unlikely to me that it sells for $200 outside of special occasions.

Let's assume a ramp up of sales of the G29 (if real). At first they are content to sell off old G27 stock, and gradually replace with new G29 stock. Players have an incentive to switch in order to have PS4 menu control support, probably slightly newer tech and FFB motors, probably an improved shifter. Very similar to Thrustmaster, basically.
I bought mine for $220 three years ago at Best Buy. Been checking once in a while and I don't think the price has ever been over that in Canada since. Currently $202. I can pick the wheel up at Best Buy for $202 (in stock last time I checked) today because they price match.

I made sense for Thrustmaster and Fanatec to do it. Why wouldnt it make sense for Logitech to do it?
Depends on if the wheelbase is just a retread G27 or a new design, and gear vs. belt driven IMO. If you can buy a wheel like the G27 with a shifter and 3 pedals and use it on the PS4 for $200, then for this wheel to sell at all it would have to be in the $150 range since it doesn't come with a shifter, otherwise everyone will just buy the G27 so there's no need to make a new wheel. But if you don't do backwards compatibility, then you can sell this same wheel for $200-250 and still position yourself above the T100 but below the T300, with 900 degree rotation and it would sell like hotcakes, especially if GT7 is on the horizon.

If it is the same price as the T300, I'll probably go the Thrustmaster way. And being a Logitech, it probably won't have belt drive, so there's another thing that throws me off.

If it is the same price as the T300, I'll probably go the Thrustmaster way. And being a Logitech, it probably won't have belt drive, so there's another thing that throws me off.
How about a brand new belt drive wheel, 2 pedals, no shifter, for $50 less than T300?

This new wheel looks closer to a DFGT price range product, not a mid market wheel like the G27 was. I don't think they are looking to compete with Thrustmaster if this is what they are releasing. Thrustmaster with their interchangable rims have it right, that should be the future and not 10 year old looking toy wheels.

How about a brand new belt drive wheel, 2 pedals, no shifter, for $50 less than T300?
Is it 2 or 3? Thought I read it's like the G27 pedals except updated.

I'd happily take that, though.

With the amount of racers coming out, its pretty smart for Logitech to do this. Just a smart business plan.

Now, if they just make the wheel as good, if not better than the G27, we'll have a money maker.

Now, the problem for many wheel owners on the PS4 is that they can't use the ones they currently have.. I think its severely problematic and people will not like having to dish out more money for a wheel when they have a perfectly fine one sitting around.

This'll be great for wheel beginners, just at the DFGT was.

I wish it didn't have as many buttons.. Should have made it modual. Reaching F1 wheel amounts.

That's another thing. The G27 is customizable to a certain extent. I wonder if this will follow in the same tracks.

Read into this what you will, but apparently Logitech asked VirtualR, a popular sim racing site, to take down the photo of the "G29"

I'm surprised no one has made the correlation to this possibly being a bit of confirmation that GT7 is coming really soon, since this new G29 is basically a combination of the DFGT & G25/G27 and we all know the Driving Force GT was developed in conjunction with Polyphony Digital for GT5P, GT5 & GT6 in mind...now with that said I'm not trying to start some unfounded hellacious rumor ~ BUT in my eyes, it's slight confirmation that GT7 may just have a showing for E3 next month as the timing is just about right (going off Kaz's 2014/2015 estimate)!

I was also thinking the same thing minus the "soon" part. I remember having the DFGT for a long time before GT5 was finally released. Hopefully they will officially announce and show both next month at E3.

I thought Logitech was done with this kind of stuff though? (Or they saw there was money to be made...)
It's because they didn't have a wheel that supported the PS4. It's gotta have some microchip to be compatible with next-gen consoles

Wow! It looks a bit cluttered, and not a fan of the bulkiness. But, if it turns out to look nicer as a final version, and is belt drive (probably won't be but we can hope), I may just buy it instead of a T300RS.
Yes God I hope it's belt drive. the helical gearing is so clunky and noisy

It's certainly some nasty looking frankenpoop.

Wondering if they had to ditch rev lights at some point. Photo in the OP appears to show a glossy plastic just above the hub, conducive to what leds usually shine through, while the pic in post #25 has the same area in solid matt plastic.

The use of the DFGT red ring is utterly moronic from a marketing standpoint. If this is a real product, and will be called a G29, and priced accordingly, they're weighing it down mightily with that affiliation.

Nothing.....It matches the G logo that's on the box behind the wheel. ;) If anything, I would say that the first logo was just a prototype. Worse case scenario, they're all prototype's and the final version will look different again, only time will tell.

BUT... the FIRST logo, box or not, is the "G" that Logitech uses on the G line now. Maybe the second one is part of another line refresh, but it seems like they just did that.

Honestly? It looks veeeery fake to me. Like a home project where someone's taken a force GT and a G25 and had some fun with a hammer.

That said if it does turn out to be legit, I'm buying one, no questions asked. I've been humming and harring about buying a wheel for years, but every one seems to have so many lackluster options or poorly thought out controls. That thing looks absolutely perfect though. Looking forward to see if there's any more pics of it surface.

EDIT: Not sure if this has been posted, not bothering to check, but I just had a quick google for stuff about it and found this: http://www.virtualr.net/logitech-g29-first-photo-leaked

"Photo removed at Logitech's Request"

Hmmm...

If its confirmed, I'm more happy to get G29, had enough with T300RS been replacement 3 times :(
Sorry to hear that. Thrustmaster really do have some quality issues, the amount of people that have had problems with the T300 is quite worrying really, it's not a cheap wheel either. :(

If the G29 is anything like the G27 in terms of reliability, it should be a sturdy piece of kit. The G27 might be a bit old now in terms of tech, but it's a tough old thing. :lol:

Sorry to hear that. Thrustmaster really do have some quality issues, the amount of people that have had problems with the T300 is quite worrying really, it's not a cheap wheel either. :(

If the G29 is anything like the G27 in terms of reliability, it should be a sturdy piece of kit. The G27 might be a bit old now in terms of tech, but it's a tough old thing. :lol:
Oh yeah tell me about it I had G27 for 2 years and tough enough! It's best compare to T300rs of quality. I do love T300RS but let me down :(
Looking forward.

Having a new Logitech wheel in the market would be great.
The G25/G27 has been the reference wheel for years. It was reliable, set at fair pricing point and brought many gamers to playing with a wheel.

I think I would support this and buy one as back up or even build a first mini-cockpit around it for my sons !

This new wheel looks closer to a DFGT price range product, not a mid market wheel like the G27 was. I don't think they are looking to compete with Thrustmaster if this is what they are releasing. Thrustmaster with their interchangable rims have it right, that should be the future and not 10 year old looking toy wheels.

Been reading peoples comments, interesting...
I disagree in them looking to compete with Thrustmaster, any similar product for same platform is competition

Don't think they need interchangeable rims to compete but this depends. Who says this isn't a feature yet? It would make more sense to have swappable options with interchangeable rims but they could potentially sell a similar PC only product.

Clearly though it seems to be offering a separate shifter too doing exactly what Thrustmaster themselves introduced. A great way with rims of increasing sales so I wouldn't rule out the idea.

My guess is that it will compete directly with T300RS and be PS3/PS4 compatible.
What is for me intriguing is not just how but why this wheel combines what seems to be an improved G27 & DF-GT.

G29 / Official Wheel Of Gran Turismo 7?
Why does it retain the RTA dial specifically designed in conjunction with Polphony Digital for the original DF-GT and GT5

"Playstation Compatible Wheel" is a license
"Official Wheel Of Gran Turismo" endorsement is a unique separate license (DF-GT)
"Gran Turismo 5" endorsement T500RS
"Gran Turismo 6" endorsement T500RS

Look on the boxes of DF-GT & original T500RS they have both PS & GT logos but only one is recognised as "Official Wheel Of Gran Turismo"

Wheels like G25/G27/T300 RS only have Playstation Logos (IIRC)

So will this G29 be one or both?
Could this be the next "Official Wheel Of Gran Turismo" hence why it retains the RTA?

Juicy Bits
What makes me kinda wishful but interests me is have Logitech potentially renewed their Licensce with Polophony Digital/Sony? Is this leak a sign of an E3 potentially GT7 announcement in the works?

Logitech / Logicool (JAPAN) did have a long running relationship with Sony / Polyphony Digital
Having several products licensed over the years but also support for unofficial licensed compatible products in GT5/GT6 for the G25 & G27 wheels. They had official support in-game but not on their packaging...

Thrustmaster ALSO had official support and a license for GT5 / GT6 with the T500RS endorsed on the boxes and with GT wheel logo but not I believe as "Official Licensed Wheel". I could be wrong on this so please investigate further...

IMPORTANT: See Here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_official_steering_wheel
"Official" status = Developed in conjunction with Polyphony Digital.

DF-GT Memory Lane....

"Official Wheel Of Gran Turismo"

Real-time Adjustment Dial Introduction and a video by the man himself promoting the product.
Did the T500RS have such a video/endorsement? Personally I do not believe it did.

This is why I believe their is a difference in the endorsements and the joint developed RTA feature that only the DF-GT had the right to be labelled "Official Wheel Of Gran Turismo".

Announced at TGS 2007 September months in advance of GT5 Release and the ONLY wheel to support this feature for Gran Turismo.

Now why would Logitech develop a NEW Wheel to the quality of a G25/G27 combined with the same feature. Is it only for backwards compatibility with PS3, well possibly or is it for future Gran Turismo 7?

As for Amar, come on give the guy the due credit he deserves folks.
He has been "on the money" many times in the past and deserves nothing less than thanks/admiration.

Last edited:
Ghost-Games-01.jpg

Look under the Table. G29? lolz

If its confirmed, I'm more happy to get G29, had enough with T300RS been replacement 3 times :(
I always think going back to G27 until I saw G29....
Going wait for announce in E3! :D
Reliability problems are really common on all Logitech competitors, Logitech products just goes and goes, and IF you have problem they'll fix it without any hustle what competitors are frequently doing.

Fingers crossed and that's my new wheel, with all extra parts.. Hoping at they have option for pressure sensor brake, or they use identical brake set to G27 so my old brake fits in.

There are two boxes under that table. One is the big blue one that is definitely the G29's product box, but there's a smaller black one on top that seems to be related to the pedals? Can't really make much out of it, as the chair is on the way, but definitely two boxes.

Latest Posts

Back