Logitech G29 / G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel

• Thread starter drivatar
  • 1,154 comments
I think the G27 box on top is the new shifter which we'll connect to our OLD wheels to make it compatible with the PS4.

G27 is not really low end though, the cheapest you can find it here is £220 ish (about $340), roughly the same price as a Thrustmaster T300RS, and of course the G27 comes with high quality pedals and a shifter. Low end is the DFGT side of things, or even the original Driving Force.

This new G29 we see doesn't look at all like it's going to be a superior product to the G27 from looks.. Maybe they are packing something under the hood, but I doubt it given their approach to the design. They have realised they can sell the shifter separately and so it looks like they won't include it in the new package deal.

G27 with a DFGT thrown at it.
G27 looking pedals with some blue.
No shifter

Same price as current G27, probably.

Tend to agree with most of your points....

Could this G29 like G25 - G27 also be evolutionary? It clearly seems to be for PS4 targeted users.
So it will make sense being built to a mid price-point yet saving Logitech money with previous parts/design.

Does it need to be much better than a G27 to be a good proposition for T300/T500 buyers wanting a PS4 wheel?
Many people were happy with the G25 and it was a good jump up from cheaper wheels so most, especially console owners will be happy with it.

I don't know if many DF-GT users used the RTA features in GT? Please let us know if you did and did any other PS3 games utilise the feature?...

Although having them carried over gives PS3/PS4 users a G25/G27 quality of FFB with the specific features of the RTA So even if no real improvements in the motor or brakes are implemented. It still will be a completive product and likely at a completive price to Thrustmasters.

That's not to say their won't be a new "GT 7" wheel from Logitech/Thrustmaster if this G29 isn't or doesn't get a Gran Turismo type endorsement. Personally though I do not see Logitech wanting to go into a higher price-point. They are all about mass production, high volume sales and maximising profit.

Last edited:
Tend to agree with most of your points....

Could this G29 like G25 - G27 also be evolutionary? It clearly seems to be for PS4 targeted users.
So it will make sense being built to a mid price-point yet saving Logitech money with previous parts/design.

Does it need to be much better than a G27 to be a good proposition for T300/T500 buyers wanting a PS4 wheel?
Many people were happy with the G25 and it was a good jump up from cheaper wheels so most, especially console owners will be happy with it.

I don't know if many DF-GT users used the RTA features in GT? Please let us know if you did and did any other PS3 games utilise the feature?...

Although having them carried over gives PS3/PS4 users a G25/G27 quality of FFB with the specific features of the RTA So even if no real improvements in the motor or brakes are implemented. It still will be a completive product and likely at a completive price to Thrustmasters.

That's not to say their won't be a new "GT 7" wheel from Logitech/Thrustmaster if this G29 isn't or doesn't get a Gran Turismo type endorsement. Personally though I do not see Logitech wanting to go into a higher price-point. They are all about mass production, high volume sales and maximising profit.

I have no experience with the Thrustmaster wheels and have owned my G27 since 2010, it has served me well and I like it a lot (though the pedals caused me issues, I have managed to fix that with some cleaning spray and lubricant + a brake mod I made from some hose pipe). The initial reviews of the Thrustmaster T500 RS though claimed it to be vastly superior to the G27 in terms of build quality and the quality of the FFB, on top of that the separate shifter is far superior to the flimsy G27/G25 shifters.

Then you hear that the Thrustmaster T300 RS apparently has an even better FFB feel than the T500 RS.. So you'd think from reviews and general opinions from people who have compared that the Thrustmaster FFB is far superior to the Logitech G25/G27.

Logitech have the advantage of great pedals, which if they supply with the G29 at the same price point as the T300 will make the G29 attractive (as the T300 standard pedals are apparently very poor compared). The question is have they changed the internals to improve the FFB? The wheel itself looks smaller than a G27 wheel by the pictures, another part of why it looks cheap to me.

The last bit is that what annoys me, the wheel looks small and messy/cluttered... While the Thrustmaster wheels are big and much more elegant looking, it's much more of a solid and realistic looking product.. I look at a T500 RS and I want one, the rim changing feature is a seller on its own for me... When I look at the G29 I think I'd prefer to keep my G27.

Looking at the build and design borrowing DF-GT / G27.
I don't think Logitech are trying to better the T500RS or goto it's price point.

Yes T500 has metal pedals, yes it has a more powerful motor (G27) and is a good wheel, the removable rims are an excellent addition for T300/T500. I applaud that idea/option, currently considering a GT28 rim but think it too is a bit small.

We as yet do not know if G29 will have removable rim option (doubtful) or what improvements it will include but that will not stop it from being mass appeal. It will though be more competition to T300 and likely priced around it's price point.

I have G25 / DF GT (ornament used 1 hr) and yes T500RS was a good leap up in FFB with excellent pedals.

If they done something like use better motors, higher voltage similar to the ARC Team G25e mod, it could make the wheel much better at a fraction of the price of the T300's motors.

Sounds promising. I've been using Logitech wheels since 2002. Started out with a Gran Turismo branded Driving Force, then upgraded to a DF Pro for GT4, & then onto a G25 for GT5 Prologue (which I still have). I really love Logitech wheels & hope that the G29 rumor turns out to be true.

:D

VBR
If they done something like use better motors, higher voltage similar to the ARC Team G25e mod, it could make the wheel much better at a fraction of the price of the T300's motors.

Sounds promising. I've been using Logitech wheels since 2002. Started out with a Gran Turismo branded Driving Force, then upgraded to a DF Pro for GT4, & then onto a G25 for GT5 Prologue (which I still have). I really love Logitech wheels & hope that the G29 rumor turns out to be true.

Doubt it would, T300 feels completely different and a whole different level of realism compared to Logitech wheels. Even though I have used G27 for a long time, just using a T300 for a short time made me feel like my G27 was broken when I went back to it and wondered how I drove with it in the first place. Luckily got used to it after a few minutes of driving again.

What I hope is G29 supports PS2 and old PS3 games, this is problem with Thrustmaster wheels so G29 might make a good wheel for compatiblity in older games. Would have preferred a rubber rim like DFGT, wonder how easy it will be to use buttons. Seems they spent as little money as they could to make a wheel with PS4 security chip in it. It will be interesting to see shifter add-on, I wonder if it will be like the G27 but without the buttons to save costs or if they made a completely new one.

Doubt it would, T300 feels completely different and a whole different level of realism compared to Logitech wheels.

I wasn't saying that it would make it equal to the T300, just better than the G27 like the G25e mod made the FFB better. Either way, I hope they don't use the same motors.

VBR
I wasn't saying that it would make it equal to the T300, just better than the G27 like the G25e mod made the FFB better. Either way, I hope they don't use the same motors.
I think big issue with G27 is cooling, it already has FFB fade for me quite quickly in GT6 so I imagine with the G25e mod, they would have to add fans, more power consumption and redesign of base. The kit cost not much less than a T300RS so don't know how it would be for pricing if Logitech included in design but if they need to keep profits as high at a low price point, then don't see the incentive as if they got closer to T300RS territory then there is a huge gap between the wheels that I doubt they would sell too many of them.

To get a better wheel than T300, next up seems CSW V2, CSW V1 is worse from what I read. G27 is not much cheaper than T300RS on sale, with PS4 chip but without shifter I imagine pricing won't change too much. Cheapest I've seen G27 is £139.99 and for T300RS £189.99, that is £50 difference but G27 has shifter and better pedals. However FFB wise, G27 arguably maybe worse than a DFGT in FFB while the T300RS can compete against wheels like 4-5 times the price in terms of realism and feeling but without the strength. However do think G27 is a very good wheel to do quick lap times, it has very good response with useful information so hopefully G29 improves on cooling / more cooler / efficient motor to maintain what FFB it has. T300 is also a great wheel to do fast lap times.

I think big issue with G27 is cooling, it already has FFB fade for me quite quickly
That's odd, I've never felt any FFB fade with the G27 on GT6 and I'm not exactly running it on low settings either. :odd: I do however agree that the case may need a redesign to aid cooling if different/stronger motors are used.

The G29 either needs to be an improved G27 (in terms of FFB), or it needs to be a budget wheel with similar FFB as the G27 and try to hit a comfortable price point well below that of a T300.

Logitech know what the competition are doing, so I'm sure that they've got a plan. 👍

That's odd, I've never felt any FFB fade with the G27 on GT6 and I'm not exactly running it on low settings either. :odd: I do however agree that the case may need a redesign to aid cooling if different/stronger motors are used.

The G29 either needs to be an improved G27 (in terms of FFB), or it needs to be a budget wheel with similar FFB as the G27 and try to hit a comfortable price point well below that of a T300.

Logitech know what the competition are doing, so I'm sure that they've got a plan. 👍
I get it in less than an hour of driving, lose the feeling of the edge of traction just as I get into the rhythm which is annoying for me in GT6. There is still FFB effects but reduced.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is more or less identical base as the G27 looking at pictures, looked like they reused as much of what they had to make it.

I get it in less than an hour of driving, lose the feeling of the edge of traction just as I get into the rhythm which is annoying for me in GT6. There is still FFB effects but reduced.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is more or less identical base as the G27 looking at pictures, looked like they reused as much of what they had to make it.

I have the same issue with my G25 ~ though I have to admit my unit is going on 8-9 years old...think it's time to upgrade? I'll probably wait until GT7 hits and by then all options will be available to make the best choice (but I'll probably just pony up for the T500RS unless something better comes along).

That's odd, I've never felt any FFB fade with the G27 on GT6 and I'm not exactly running it on low settings either.

Most people don't, just as most people think there's no burn in on their plasma screen. Objective tests will often show that the screen does indeed have burn, and would show that the G27 always has fade.

Just realised, looks like this will retain the LED rev lights or have improved ones.

Odd - I thought the opposite.....

Wondering if they had to ditch rev lights at some point. Photo in the OP appears to show a glossy plastic just above the hub, conducive to what leds usually shine through, while the pic in post #25 has the same area in solid matt plastic.

What have you seen or heard?

Most people don't, just as most people think there's no burn in on their plasma screen. Objective tests will often show that the screen does indeed have burn, and would show that the G27 always has fade.

Odd - I thought the opposite.....

What have you seen or heard?
I think there are LED lights, they're just tinted over so that it looks solid black

@Saidur_Ali @Ian_83 - The G25 & G27 can be very hit & miss. I've heard of people with overheating issues, motors wearing out, etc etc. However, my G25 has no heating issues at all, can race online all night for 5 to 6 hours or more with no problems at all, no FFB fade, no overheating. I guess I got a good one! The only trouble I had was loss of calibration, opened her up & tightened one screw that holds the optical assembly in place & it's been fine for the past few years now.

What ever they do with this G29 they need to improve the FFB, & reliability all round.

👍

@VBR same here, no other issues than warm loosen screws. Tighten bed screws(bottom of wheel cover) few times too.
Maybe people are just running with all maxed FFB and no "Power Steering" switched on.
I'm on 6/6/10 settings with power steering switched on, no any fade even driving over one hour races several on row.
Fanatic CSW had really bad FFB fade, that can be counted in minutes (few) till it starts. One of reasons why dumped that and continued using better one, G27.

@OdeFinn - I always run GT with FFB set to max, & never have Power Steering on, G25 is 100% fine after 6 years of frantic online racing, & thousands of miles spent lapping The Nord. That said, I'm not heavy handed with my wheel unlike some people I've encountered. When everything is working as it should, this is an awesome hobby isn't it!

VBR
That said, I'm not heavy handed with my wheel unlike some people I've encountered. When everything is working as it should, this is an awesome hobby isn't it!
Same here, heavy wheel smasher is one big problem for wheel. This happens mostly on guys who are playing game like arcade game, with no understanding of car at all. :)
As a hobby this is totally great, no worries of blue lights :)

That G29 looks really legit, so big trust in Logitech at not even consider other wheels if that is coming to market. If there comes additional shifter for G27 what adds compatibility on PS4 on it will probably just buy it also. G29 is anyhow on basket, with all possible add-ons.

A wheel is a wheel, the manufacturer makes them and we buy it. So basically we're having a debate about the same thing which many other manufacturers and wheel companies do at their meeting. Let them decide what they put on the new Driving force and let's see what goes on at E3? Alright?, Alright!

Last edited:
In addition to @Mr Latte 's post, my replacement G27 arrived today, with the new packaging.

Sorry for the lack of focus, was in a rush.

DSC_0530_zpsn1b4bymk.jpg

Alongside the old box with better focus.

DSC_0532_zpswxkldrwg.jpg

I looked around the new and old boxes just now for any differences. I think the new box is just a refresher.

On the new box, compatanility seems to be the same. PS2, PS3 and Games that support the wheel. Judging from what I've seen now, maybe or maybe not will we get PS4 support for the G27/G25 or DFGT. Guess it's down to Logitech.

In addition to @Mr Latte 's post, my replacement G27 arrived today, with the new packaging.

DSC_0530_zpsn1b4bymk.jpg

DSC_0532_zpswxkldrwg.jpg

I looked around the new and old boxes just now for any differences. I think the new box is just a refresher.

On the new box, compatanility seems to be the same. PS2, PS3 and Games that support the wheel. Judging from what I've seen now, maybe or maybe not will we get PS4 support for the G27/G25 or DFGT. Guess it's down to Logitech.
You gonna keep both?

You gonna keep both?

I'm gonna see how the supposed G29 rolls out. I might sell my fruity G27 but I'll keep the new one, if push comes to shove then I'll sell both and buy a G29 kit if finances permit.

My question with the G29 is, great we have possible PS4 support now with added PS3 support, however, will the PS2 be supported? Seems likely because it should be the same drivers for the PS3

I'm gonna see how the supposed G29 rolls out. I might sell my fruity G27 but I'll keep the new one, if push comes to shove then I'll sell both and buy a G29 kit if finances permit.

My question with the G29 is, great we have possible PS4 support now with added PS3 support, however, will the PS2 be supported? Seems likely because it should be the same drivers for the PS3
If you give a reasonable price when the time comes, I'll buy it ;)

DSC_0530_zpsn1b4bymk.jpg

DSC_0532_zpswxkldrwg.jpg

When the new packaging for the G27 and DFGT came out around summer last year it was discussed on GTP. Apparently a few internals are changed, such as the optical encoder.

If you give a reasonable price when the time comes, I'll buy it ;)

If you can handle the cost of shipping from South Africa to USA then ok :D

......Shipping a G27 to USA will cost the same amount as the wheel.... I'm not even joking...

When the new packaging for the G27 and DFGT came out around summer last year it was discussed on GTP. Apparently a few internals are changed, such as the optical encoder.

Optical Encoder? What sorcery is this?

Hmmmm I may be tempted to try out this wheel after exams.

Do you have a link to the thread from where it was discussed?

EDIT: I think I found it

Last edited:
So in other words - we still have to buy a new wheel anyway for Project Cars? This is crap and I am shifting over to Thrustmaster . . . anyone looking for a modded wheel (encoder and pedal springs) drop me a message - available mid July - looking for around $180-200 I possible . . . :(

So in other words - we still have to buy a new wheel anyway for Project Cars? This is crap and I am shifting over to Thrustmaster . . . anyone looking for a modded wheel (encoder and pedal springs) drop me a message - available mid July - looking for around $180-200 I possible . . . :(
Ooooh k

Back