Major League Baseball: 2009 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 625 comments
My Astros had a special evening honoring the 40th anniversary of Neil Armstrong landing on the moon. We are the Astros for a reason, of course. The Astros had no problem blasting off as they took care of the Cardinals. We would have lost by two had Carlos Lee not belt out that three-run jack. Funny thing was that I tuned into that game AFTER Carlos Lee hit that homer. So we won 3-2. This is a crucial stretch for the Astros since defeat in any of these games will only knock us down further and further from trying to lead the NL Central.

Hope your favorite teams won and least favorite teams lost!

Sorry we didn't welcome you to town in a better way TS. Maybe tonight will be better for you guys.

The Astros won 11-6 over the St. Louis Cardinals. That's now two games out of the first-place Cardinals in the N.L. Central. I didn't follow this game at all. Here are just a few random scores...

AMERICAN LEAGUE:
* Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at Kansas City Royals
(GAME 1: 8-5; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
(GAME 2: 10-2; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
* Cleveland Indians at Toronto Blue Jays (2-1; Cleveland Indians)
* Baltimore Orioles at New York Yankees (6-4; NEW YORK YANKEES)
* Boston Red Sox at Texas Rangers (4-2; TEXAS RANGERS)
* Minnesota Twins at Oakland Athletics (3-2, 10 innings; Minnesota Twins)
* Tampa Bay Rays at Chicago White Sox (3-2; Tampa Bay Rays)

NATIONAL LEAGUE:
* New York Mets at Washington Nationals (4-0; WASHINGTON NATIONALS)
* San Francisco Giants at Atlanta Braves (8-1; ATLANTA BRAVES)
* Arizona Diamondbacks at Colorado Rockies (6-5; Arizona Diamondbacks)
* Florida Marlins at San Diego Padres (3-2; Florida Marlins)
* Cincinnati Reds at Los Angeles Dodgers (12-3; LOS ANGELES DODGERS)
* Milwaukee Brewers at Pittsburgh Pirates (2-0; Milwaukee Brewers)

Now for a standings update. The order of teams goes from best to worst from left to right. Bold teams have the best record in their respective league, and bold italicized have the best record overall. Teams in red have the worst record in their league and red notes the worst record in the league. All numbers taken from Yahoo! Sports:

--- AMERICAN LEAGUE: ---
AL EAST: New York Yankees (56-37), Boston (55-38), Tampa Bay (52-42), Toronto (46-48), Baltimore (41-52)
AL CENTRAL: Detroit (49-42), Chicago White Sox (48-45), Minnesota (48-46), Kansas City (37-56), Cleveland (37-57)
AL WEST: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (54-38), Texas (51-41), Seattle (49-44), Oakland (39-53)

--- NATIONAL LEAGUE ---
NL EAST: Philadelphia (53-48), Atlanta (48-46), Florida (48-47), New York Mets (44-49), Washington (27-66)
NL CENTRAL: St. Louis (51-45), Chicago Cubs (47-45), Milwaukee (48-46), Houston (48-46), Cincinnati (44-49), Pittsburgh (41-52)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (60-34), Colorado (51-43), San Francisco (50-43), Arizona (40-54), San Diego (37-57)

--- STREAKS ---
MOST WON: Philadelphia (10-game winning streak)
MOST LOST: Kansas City (8-game losing streak)

--- LAST 10 GAMES RECORD ---
BEST: Philadelphia (10-0 last ten games)
WORST: Kansas City (1-9 last ten games)

That's all. Take care!

I heard the Diamondbacks lost at Colorado on Wednesday. Tough news for TS's boys. The Astros finished up their series against the Cardinals with a 4-3 victory. It's now one game back of the Cardinals for the NL Central lead. I think we play the Mets starting on Friday.

Don't get severely excited because this is just mid-late July. It's all about being great heading into October. The Astros need to sustain a good second half if they want a chance to play in the World Series for the second time in team history.

Anybody else see that play Wise made in center field to keep Buehrle's perfect game going?

It was incredible 👍

The Astros won 5-4 in their series against the New York Mets. Both teams had over 10 hits each, and I even seen Mike Hampton bang a two-run jack into the Crawford Boxes at Minute Maid Park. One of my Facebook friends was in Houston for the weekend to see this game, and I'm sure he liked what he saw. We are closing in on 50 wins.

TS
Anybody else see that play Wise made in center field to keep Buehrle's perfect game going?

It was incredible 👍

Rowand did the same for Sanchez... bruised his arm attacking the center field wall. Showing off his gold glove.

Last night Giants beat teh roxorz... Hopefully can do the same tonight.

I hate the saying "All good things must come to an end," but it's true. With no Lance Berkman in the lineup, we lost 10-3. We didn't lose... we got dominated. Three jacks by the Mets made this into a Rubber Game series. We're now 50-47. Damn...

Astros stuck on three runs again, losing 8-3 today to the Mets. It's not going to get any better as the now 1st Place (in NL Central) Chicago Cubs for a four-game set in Chicago followed by a three-game weekend series in St. Louis against the Cardinals.

Sink or swim, Astros. Dole out as much punishment as you can to stay afloat in the NL Central. Hope your favorite team(s) isn't/aren't stinking right now. At the top of the hour on ESPN: Chicago White Sox at the Detroit Tigers.

I stopped watching the game when I saw my Astros with the bases loaded. I was thinking the Astros would lose 2-1. Nope... we lost 5-1. I know this is a marathon and not a sprint, but damn it... you can't lose games like this in your division! The Astros better get it straight, or they'll lose even more ground in the NL Central.

Let's hope the Astros don't blow it again Tuesday night's match in the Windy City.

D-Backs and Phillies

D-Backs lost 6-2

Now would be the time to trade Jon Garland, he has done nothing for the snakes in the NL, maybe make a deal with an AL team where he's been better.

Giants acquire Ryan Garko (1b/corner outfield) from the Indians for High-A Starting pitcher Scott Barns who has a 2.85 ERA in 18 starts...

Good trade, we don't have room for more starters and we needed some more power. Garko is no top tier slugger but puts up good OPS+ numbers and doesn't strike out much. Which means he puts the ball in play a lot...

Now to make it more interesting... How does Nicksfix feel about this?

Sweet revenge! I was mostly asleep, but the Astros won 11-6. This now makes Texas' only NL team 51-49. So we've played 100 games and still 39 away from the 90-win prediction Cecil Cooper made earlier this season. Also, the next two games will be daytime games between the Cubbies and the Astros. Time to see how the Astros fare when this Midwestern swing continues.

This game should have been played at night because the Astros wen't awake when the Cubs beat them 12-0 earlier today. I know, marathon and not a sprint, but you have to constantly keep pace. And right now, the Astros aren't doing that. They got to get off the slide and get back on the upswing before things get even worse.

My team is doing bad now, but congratulations to the Giants in winning a close match. They won in a defensive struggle 1-0 in ten innings.

D-Backs beat Phillies 4-0 :D

Phillies also traded for last year's AL Cy Young winner Cliff Lee, so it looks like they probably won't be getting Halladay.

Giants traded there #2 pitching prospect Tim Alderson to the Pirates for Freddy Sanchez for a straight up deal... I'm bummed that we only got Sanchez out of it, as you can get so much more with Alderson, but looking at our future pitching rotation, I'm really not worried at all. And I really hope that the Giants doctors are correct and that his knee inflammation is only a 1-2 day thing.

But this offense is started to look pretty good... But I am soooo sick of Bochy putting Molina at cleanup... He is NOT our cleanup hitter, Sandoval is sooo much better in every way.. God damnit.

Astros are now 51-50, taking a 12-3 beatdown in Chicago. The Astros will go to St. Louis next. I hope they do a hell of a lot better in St. Louis than they did in their three losses in Chicago...

SF Beat down on the Philles last night. 7-2... My god they played awful! It was great! Hehe. I'm glad Sandoval really put it in Charlie Homer Manuel's face that he made a bone head decision playing Werth over Sandoval with a splash hit home run and a 2 run double that was almost gone... And Werth over ran a easy line drive which blew the game wide open... Not to mention the Phillies couldn't deal against Sanchez who was wheeling and dealing. But one pitch got away and almost hit Utley in the head and he got all emotional about it... When Garko came up the next inning ex-Giant Tyler Walker (who sucks!) threw directly at Ryan Garko's head... He luckly ducked and it hit his shoulder... After the game our announcer ripped apart Walker for his act...

Other news Eugenio Velez is freaking hot with the bat and has even learned how to catch the ball... With his insane speed we could really use that. But now there are so many injured Giants... Schierholtz, Rowand, Torress, Johnson, Sanchez (Freddy our new 2b)... But it looks like we are not letting that faze us!! Go Giants!!

Astros swept the Cardinals the last time they met in Houston. They'll try to do the same against the Cards... in St. Louis this time. Don't forget that St. Louis has a very good guy named Albert Pujols. If the Astros keep on their current pace, we'll be relegated to being below 0.500. I think after this, we'll be hosting the Giants (Prosthetic vs. JohnBM01), followed by a swing with the Milwaukee Brewers.

Good luck to all teams tonight and this weekend! That even includes the Chicago Cubs taking on the Florida Marlins.

Can't believe nobody is talking about the trades today

the biggest being Victor Martinez going from the Indians to the Red Sox and Jake Peavy finally taking the Padres' offer to go to the White Sox

I'm interested to see how Cabrera does here.

Hopefully we will get rid of Alexi Casilla now.

The Astros need to go back to school and learn how to win again. We couldn't hold down the Cardinals, losing 4-3. I guess we'll fall to last place in the NL Central and start our vacation in September (forget October) if the Astros keep screwing up like this...

FIRESALE SALE : GOING ON IN CLEVELAND : END OF YEAR CLOSEOUT !!!!!

We loose Ryan Garko to Prosthetics Giants (nice nab there Prosthetic 👍),Victor Martinez is now gone,Cliff Lee is history,Mark DeRosa is gone,Rafael Betancourt wearing another uniform,geeeez it's all over but the shouting here in Tribe town.Let's see what next year brings to us.

Good luck to all of you other guys out there,hoping your team does well.

A new guy for the Astros helped us save face as we won 2-0 earlier today. I was recovering from being sick yesterday (head cold), so I didn't get to see the game. Up next... we're trying to entertain the San Francisco Giants tomorrow night for our next series.

At the top of the hour on ESPN, the Los Angeles Dodgers will conclude their series with the Atlanta Braves. I think the next ESPN game they'll show is on Monday night when the Cubs take on the Reds. I think the Cubbies will cream the Reds.

I am glad to be done with the Angels series, hopefully we can do a better job beating the Indians.

Back