Manual vs automatic gears

• Thread starter Alltidxx
  • 8 comments

Do you drive with auto or manual gearbox?

• Total voters
Sweden
Sweden
TeamBubblegum
Is there a marked difference in how fast one can go with manual gear as opposed to automatic gear? If so, how big is the difference? Is it important to be able to use manual gears on hard difficulty?

Is there a marked difference in how fast one can go with manual gear as opposed to automatic gear? If so, how big is the difference? Is it important to be able to use manual gears on hard difficulty?

Don't know for certain, but I've heard some pretty fast racers claim that they can be upwards of 1.5" per lap faster using a manual. With a wheel I think I can believe the claim, but I can't imagine many posses the manual dexterity and consistency to be that much faster using manual gears on the std controller.

Manual gears for me, I was upto 2 seconds a lap faster with manuals (Depending on the track) when I was using a controller. Using a wheel now and my pace has dropped down by around 1 second. :yuck:

Manual gears for me, I was upto 2 seconds a lap faster with manuals (Depending on the track) when I was using a controller. Using a wheel now and my pace has dropped down by around 1 second. :yuck:

Just curious, when racing manual on the std controller did you have hand/finger cramping issues?

You just go the wheel recently though correct? If so I'm sure it is just a matter of time before your times start dropping again.

Hi,

No problems with cramps at all when doing manual, I used both Analogues to Acc/Brake and Steer and L2/R2 to change gears. 👍

I've gone through cramps and a thumb so sore that I was seriously worried about its health playing with the ps2 controller. Still playing with handcontrol though but I believe full throttle requires less hard pressing on the ps3 game. I have a wheel that I bought for PS2 but my driving got too bad with it so I had to let it go. I was not prepared to go through a long relearning process. Might try it again for fun soon if it works with the PS3. It is a williams F1 wheel after all ;)

As I've said before I'm manual & G25. When I was first playing F1:CE a lot, I used to get tendonitis in my left wrist from all the rapid downshifting using the paddles.

Biggles - some NA guys I used to race with are trying to get together this Sunday night for some online action. Lemme know if you are interested/available.

I'll see if I can get together with you guys this weekend, icelt.

I went online last night for the first time in a few months - it was a very disillusioning experience. It seems to be far inferior to GT5P online (which, of course, isn't that great itself): the movements of the other cars seem very jerky/laggy; there's an absurd amount of tire marks & smoke, which is very distracting; the relative sound of the cars is unbalanced, quite unlike offline (where it works very well); the handling of the cars seems quite different from offline. The result of all this was that I had no idea what I was doing & ended up driving like a complete noob.

Any of you guys play online a lot & feel quite comfortable with it?

Back