Mazda RX-Vision GT3 Will Come to Gran Turismo Sport May 25

I think a little bit would have to do with the safety of the crowds. ;)
Some are, some aren't. If, for example, LMES is canned (and a qualifying event at Sebring has already gone), it won't be for the crowd because it doesn't have one. The Australian GP wasn't for the crowd's safety, but for the safety of the drivers and technical staff - McLaren withdrew its team because a team member tested positive. Other teams wanted to follow suit both for the safety of their own crew and (in Mercedes case) because it wasn't fair on McLaren to race on without them.

In the context of WT events, Nurburgring, Paris and Monaco don't have crowds, and Salzburg and Tokyo have them in the sense of people wandering by the roped-off area. Only Madrid, New York and Sydney had a significant public audience.

The Australian GP wasn't for the crowd's safety, but for the safety of the drivers and technical staff - McLaren withdrew its team because a team member tested positive. Other teams wanted to follow suit both for the safety of their own crew and (in Mercedes case) because it wasn't fair on McLaren to race on without them.
If it wasn't for this, the race would've gone ahead.

Heard rumors a new rotary engine could possibly be larger displacement (1.6ish Litre) to help with efficiency. Hybrid, with a motor on its flywheel , and possibly even a hybrid electric turbo as well. Those would all help with low end torque and efficiency in a road car, but would that kind of spec even be legal in a race car? Or gr3? I doubt a race spec rotary engine would be much less efficient than a race spec engine from most other manufacturers.
Also rumored is a 3L Skyactiv-x inline 6 engine in their future sports car. Which would probably be a mild hybrid and turbo'd as well. Both options honestly have me very excited to find out and see how beautiful this car will be and hopefully give us a glimpse at Mazda's future lineup and technology they will use.

Mazda isnt exactly the most wealthiest and well resourced manufacturer out there so I would say they would go with a low impact motor and that would be the same 2.5 litre turbo 4 cyl. they use in the CX5 Mazda 6 sedan etc.

I have no problem with that... it does something like 240hp and 300lb/ft and that's in the SUV, they could give it a little boost.

I say no manuals so just recycle the 6 spd paddle auto they can rob from Japanese FR platforms.

I think they wanna do the skyactiv-x I6 for the bigger cars and suv like the cx-9. They already have the 2 litre built for the 3, and I think I heard them say the technology is scalable, so a six cylinder is just the same engine with 2 pistons.
I would be happy if they built a sports car with that engine even if it meant no rotary right away, just so they had a platform out in the market.

I think they wanna do the skyactiv-x I6 for the bigger cars and suv like the cx-9. They already have the 2 litre built for the 3, and I think I heard them say the technology is scalable, so a six cylinder is just the same engine with 2 pistons.
I would be happy if they built a sports car with that engine even if it meant no rotary right away, just so they had a platform out in the market.
They're working with Toyota on a RWD platform. Could be the basis for a MAzda luxury sedan and the next Toyota Mark X(or whatever name/number).

If a piston engine ends up in any Mazda Sports car, it will not have the RX designation. That is restricted for Rotary powered cars. The RX Vision concept car had a Rotary in it. No reason to think it won't for production.

Well, if it takes six months to make a car, the announcement was November 23, 2019. The article Gran Turismo article, states the car was being modelled a"as we speak".

Maybe the car was started in September, to be ready for this month. However, it's not looking good for the first race in two days. I doubt it'll just pop up when people enter Mazda Brand Central.

Im much more enthusiastic over a Toyota Mazda colab than the last Toyota Subaru affair.

I personally think that a rotor is not a feasible sell in 2022 etc.

It would cost hundreds of millions even IF it reaches econ emissions durability targets... Why not spend nothing and use the turbo 2.5 four?

Also what is your target price? If its a cheap car like the 86 then theres no way to make money with a rotor.

It would cost hundreds of millions even IF it reaches econ emissions durability targets...
Mazda has a very small team that is dedicated to it. Probably costing them almost nothing at this point stretched over many years. Once they feel they have something, standard testing will cost no more than if they developed an all new piston engine like their fancy HCCI setup.

I love the styling, it looks really sexy at the rear and yet aggressive in front. Hopefully the handling would be something commendable.

Sounds like from the wording for this, it might now be possible to switch cars based on which manufacturer you're running with. Really tempted to hop on the Mazda bandwagon now, much like I did with Aston Martin in the pre-season...

Oh man that Mazda looks S E X Y. Very pleasantly surprised considering I'm not exactly the biggest fan of most Vision GT concepts, IMO they end up looking kinda same-y

So the podcast about who is going where, totally redundant as folk can now change their mind.

Cool looking car though. Nice colour.

Can't wait to get my hands on this beast, however it does feel a bit unfair that Mazda are guaranteed a spot in the world tour finals unless there's an additional spot for them.

Can't wait to get my hands on this beast, however it does feel a bit unfair that Mazda are guaranteed a spot in the world tour finals unless there's an additional spot for them.
It's the same as Toyota in 2019.

Back