Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain

• Thread starter Ddrizle
  • 3,057 comments
PAX 2012 MGS: GZ Gameplay Demo
That, I think, has got to be one of the best character reveals that I have seen in a video game or film.

Which can lead up to the Les Enfants Terribles project (maybe as the ending to this prologue?)
Possibly, but I'd say the focus will be on Snake and Zero's disagreement.

Even though I've criticised the staccato nature of the overall narrative, I don't think it is totally essential that Le Enfants Terribles is covered. We already know it exists. We already know why it exists. We already know what becomes of it. All that remains to be seen is the project being put into motion, and unless there is some secondary purpose that the games have never covered until now, I don't think it's really necessary to cover it.

I saw the Xbox 360 logo on the video end credits, I wonder how many discs this game would be ? MGS4 was over 40 GB and needs dual layer Bluray, I am curious with the new FOX engine, will it leads to more compression in textures and audio to fit on a 50GB Bluray if the game size increase significantly ... it will be even worse case for DVD media on Xbox.

Anyone heard any news about possible online play for this MGS ?

We'll see how much more convoluted the MGS saga becomes haha!

For now(though things could possibly change)the end of the trailer confirms a PS3 & X360 release, perhaps a PC version will be available also......time will tell.

CVG is reporting a confirmed release for PS3, X360 & PC, yet no direct confirmation from KojiPro in regards to PC.

Except that Les Enfants Terrible produced three children.

The "two phantoms" probably refers to the ideological split between Naked Snake and Major Zero.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that is indeed one potential tangent. The whole purpose of the project in the first place is to preserve Big Boss's DNA. They did it by cell division and ensuring that the recessive and dominate traits emerged in Solid and Liquid while the third child, Solidus, remained a perfect clone of Big Boss. The fact that they did this without Big Boss's knowledge was the tipping point in Zero and his relationship.

Something's not adding up for me:

In the pics, he has an MSF patch.
In the video, it's a fox patch.

Whaaat?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that is indeed one potential tangent. The whole purpose of the project in the first place is to preserve Big Boss's DNA. They did it by cell division and ensuring that the recessive and dominate traits emerged in Solid and Liquid while the third child, Solidus, remained a perfect clone of Big Boss. The fact that they did this without Big Boss's knowledge was the tipping point in Zero and his relationship.
Les Enfants Terribles might have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but I think that there was a lot that came before that.

The schism in their relationship centres on their differing interpretations of the Boss's beliefs. Snake believes that the Boss wanted to create a world where soldiers could have their own ideology, rather than the one their governments chose. Zero believes that the Boss wanted to create a world where humanity is united under one leadership (albeit a secretive one). At its heart, it's really the battle between free will and determinism.

The reason why I say that there is much more to this than Les Enfants Terribles is that there is a huge gap between what Snake and Zero believe. Les Enfants Terribles on its own would not be enough to lead to these radically-different interpretations. While it's possible that these interpretations became corrupted and skewed over time (ie, the AI installed by the Patriots reinterpreted what Zero believed to mean the control of information), I think that Snake and Zero had differences that could be reconciled until Snake found out about Les Enfants Terrible, at which point those differences could not become reconciled. I think the game really needs to explore how those differences came about in the first place before Les Enfants Terribles is brought into it.

If the accuracy of the gear is anything to go by, the game could to be set around the mid-to-late eighties. The AN/PVS-7 googles BB is wearing were comissioned in the mid-eighties, going active later in the decade, and the gear worn by the burnt man's troops is pretty much what SEAL VBSS teams wore in the late-eighties/early-nineties, down to the ABA vest and David Clark SEAL Flight Deck Helmet.

img_3089.jpg

Also, if the game were to be about Les Enfants Terrible, wouldn't it be set 2 years before Peace Walker, or has the '72 LET date been retconned? (not played PW yet)

If the accuracy of the gear is anything to go by, the game could to be set around the mid-to-late eighties. The AN/PVS-7 googles BB is wearing were comissioned in the mid-eighties, going active later in the decade, and the gear worn by the burnt man's troops is pretty much what SEAL VBSS teams wore in the late-eighties/early-nineties, down to the ABA vest and David Clark SEAL Flight Deck Helmet.
Don't forget that the series has always had technology that was several years ahead of its time. Just look at the map thing Snake pulls out as proof of this.

Also, if the game were to be about Les Enfants Terrible, wouldn't it be set 2 years before Peace Walker, or has the '72 LET date been retconned? (not played PW yet)
Only if you assume that Naked Snake found out about Les Enfants Terribles before they were born. It's entirely possible that he had no idea about their existence for years.

Except that Les Enfants Terrible produced three children.

The "two phantoms" probably refers to the ideological split between Naked Snake and Major Zero.

Actually, the third child, Solidus was born a bit later. Solid and Liquid were born from EVA first and were known as the "twin snakes". So perhaps this storyline is following Les Enfants Terribles before Solidus was born.

I still find the idea to be pretty far-fetched. I just don't think you can have a storyline focused on Les Enfants Terribles without first addressing the episode that led to the difference of opinion between Snake and Zero. After all, Snake was enraged that Zero created clones of him. How could Zero acquire the necessary genetic material from him to make clones without Snake being aware of it?

To me, it makes more sense for Les Enfants Terribles to be created after Snake and Zero went their separate ways. Zero needed Snake more than Snake needed Zero, so he created clones of Snake that he could use to his own ends, guaranteeing their loyalty to him. I just can't see Les Enfants Terribles being created when Snake and Zero were allied, and their creation being the starting point of the dispute between Snake and Zero.

It's a sequel to Peace Walker, Peace Walker is the closest we have timeline-wise to the first two Metal Gears that take place in Zanzibar and Outer Haven so Metal Gear Solid 5 could be a remake of both those titles with the FOX Engine and Ground Zeroes is the one that ties up all the story up until the first Metal Gear games.

I don't think Kojima would go out of his way to re-make Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - especially considering that they were available in the West with the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

I still find the idea to be pretty far-fetched. I just don't think you can have a storyline focused on Les Enfants Terribles without first addressing the episode that led to the difference of opinion between Snake and Zero. After all, Snake was enraged that Zero created clones of him. How could Zero acquire the necessary genetic material from him to make clones without Snake being aware of it?

To me, it makes more sense for Les Enfants Terribles to be created after Snake and Zero went their separate ways. Zero needed Snake more than Snake needed Zero, so he created clones of Snake that he could use to his own ends, guaranteeing their loyalty to him. I just can't see Les Enfants Terribles being created when Snake and Zero were allied, and their creation being the starting point of the dispute between Snake and Zero.

You have to play MGS to get the answer to that one. They[I think it was Liquid, but don't hold me to that] said then that they got Big Boss's DNA while he was wounded in some action. When he found out, that is when he created Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land, one in secret while he was working as FoxHound's commander, the other publicly.

You have to play MGS to get the answer to that one. They[I think it was Liquid, but don't hold me to that] said then that they got Big Boss's DNA while he was wounded in some action. When he found out, that is when he created Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land, one in secret while he was working as FoxHound's commander, the other publicly.
Perhaps, but we are talking about the Patriots here. They probably started the Les Enfants Terribles project and let Snake find out about it, causing him to break away from their organisation and allowing Zero to take full control of them.

And I wouldn't put it past Hideo Kojima to retcon the whole thing again. Remember, Big Boss was dead, but in Guns of the Patriots, he was revealed to have been alive, having been kept in an induced coma. True, we never saw his body, and the only people who told us he was dead were either untrustworthy or in a position - like Roy Campbell - where they could easily be misled by the Patriots. Still, it was a retcon all the same.

Well at least we know now its chico in that prison. But who has he betrayed and what has he said? One answer solved, loads more made :P

Lol, same, to be honest I don't know if I'll bother with GTA5 now that MGS5(?)s been announced

GTA 5 will probably come out before MGS:GZ does. I know I'll be shooting cops and gangsters while Kojima is fine tuning his masterpiece.

gta5 will be a good time to spend till waiting for MGS:GZ. And as i understand its not MGS5? SO 2 MGS will be realeased and announced?

Last edited:
Was puzzled when I first heard of aother MGS title, as I thought MGS4 had finished the franchise off in an amazing way. And while I still think Revengance needs to be burned to the ground, the trailer for Ground Zero has really gotten me hyped. While I'm not usually into the whole prequil thing, if someone can make it work, it's Kojima. Besides, I love how he seemingly blends the best two froms of entertainments, into one.

I'm a little worried about the dual platform release though. While it is great that more people will get to experience the franchise, I just don't want to see the PS3 game limited by the specifications of anything else. Espicially in terms of space. Hopefully, they'll still include a great lossless sound design for Ground Zero, as they did with MGS4.

Speaking of sound design, I wonder how the soundtrack will be. I don't think there'll be any arguments regarding a metal gear solid soundtrack. :lol:

You know what, its got to the point where I actually don't care about the story any more, I buy MGwhatever for the gameplay and the overall quality of the construction (ie it doesn't freeze/bug out on me like many other titles do). So Hideo can arse around being a wannabe director all he wants as long as he let's me skip the goddamn cutsceens =)

yup you were wrong

I doubt very much that MGS:GZ AND MGS:5 are different games. It doesn't make sense that Konami is making MGS5 and wouldn't announce it at the anniversary party.

Besides, I've been reasearching this for almost two days and NOTHING has shown me that there are two different games in the works. Plus, in the interview in my thread, Kojima never said MGS5. That's why I've concluded they are one in the same.

Yes, I could be wrong. But, I doubt it. That's why I went with the name change.

One thing that you haven't considered: Tokyo Game Show hasn't happened yet. MGS5 might be announced there.

One thing that you haven't considered: Tokyo Game Show hasn't happened yet. MGS5 might be announced there.

qute true I buy just about all metal gear stuff even considering the new one with raidien ( after I play the demo that is packaged with Zone of enders)

Back