Metalsun's GT5 Gallery | R33 Pace Car, 1997 Le Mans

• Thread starter Metalsun
  • 85 comments
Nice edit Metalsun, the engine is intergrated really well and the angle fits pretty perfectly which is quite a feat to get right to begin with. Plus with your insight into how you did the colour matching with the red parts of the engine i'm impressed, good show of knowledge and skills. 👍

I'm always very impressed by the huge edit work of your pics and the attention you give to all little details 👍

The Hot Whells advertising up in the city is fine, oh I want some ultra powerfull and beasty looking engines in gt6 ;) Very nice editing work, fiting colors and toning beetween engine and car, bravo 👍

Again, thank you for your input Rambo793, Giulietta73, NBDESIGNZ, GPR, Kodje, HaerBev, CallmeDan and GT-R.
...finding an engine that is at the same angle as the car is also tricky!!
I had another crazy engine "candidate", huge, with double super-chargers, but the one I used was just over-the-top.
GPR
Plus with your insight into how you did the colour matching with the red parts of the engine i'm impressed...
Editing programs have so many features that there are many solutions to the same problem. Only experience will help make things more efficient. So in that light, I had decided from the start, to put in my gallery my experiences so that others may learn. I guess it shows that I may be a frustrated teacher.
Nice edit, MS. Also, HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO SEE OUT OF THAT?! :lol: :sly:
The funny thing Dan, is that it's from a REAL car, a show car at that. My question is, do they need a spotter to make a right turn?

Yeah, I have the patience but not the time. That's why I do an edit, maybe once a week, at best. No series or multiple shots, just one amazing pic, one subject and move on to my next project.

This one was a bit of work. Not because of the physical differences between the RUF CTR and the Porsche 911 Carrera RS but on the fact that this started as a "standard" GT5 white car. These lo-res 3D models were put on a diet of a low polygon count and little or no shadow rendering. So, the standard CGI procedure is to paint the shadows on the texture map. From a mile away you’d say “great car” but up close you can see the painted, pixelated “shadows”. Now you see my dilemma, I wanted to use the classic blue script on white. I tried erasing them, blending, layering, nothing worked. Oh well, the only other option for me was to shade the car myself. I isolated the car and figured, since it was white, I’d increased the brightness and lower the contrast, effectively “erasing” the mapped shadows. Now, I had wheels, headlamps, windscreens all on a flat white background, scary. Little by little, using many layers of black in different transparencies I built-up the shadows to bring some shape and volume to the car.
Another thing, it’s understandable how some people don’t look twice a pic and miss all the work we sometimes do. I guess you have heard, “If they can’t tell, then the work was done right”. I am leading up to the fact that I used a parked “donor” car’s windows which had a barn’s wood and brick wall in the background that I had to remove. Later, I matched and blended another, motion-blurred, Madrid background and added a driver. I’ve done this a few times, so, I’ll touch on this in some other edit.

Among all classic road going Porsches, the most desirable is probably the 1973 911 Carrera RS (Rennsport). It was the result of Porsche’s need to homologate the car for FIA Group 4 Special GT racing with a minimum of 500 cars. Customer sales were so great, that they eventually made 1,580 units. The RS came in 4 flavors: RSH (2,117lbs/960kg), RS Sport (2,150lbs/975kg), RS Touring (2,370lbs/1,075kg) and of course, the full-blown racer RSR. The model range was basically a development of the then current Carrera S through various changes in materials, brakes, suspension, bodywork/trim, wheels/tires, aerodynamics and transmission among others. RS’s are easily identified by their “Carrera” script on the side of the car and their “ducktail” rear spoiler. But, its most notable improvement was its engine. Capacity was bored from 2.3L to 2.7L developing 210bph, up from 190bph.

Last edited:
Wow... First thx for the "modus operandi" report. Very interesting read 👍 And after the read I can better appreciate the amount of work you've done. Seriously the work on shadows is awesome, you can be proud of the result 👍

Flawless edit, Metalsun! As mentioned before, I like the writeups you have alongside your photos. Really neat. 👍

Who said, only static cars in Phototravel? Who said I don't do GT5 cars? In the Carrera RS edit above, I tried the radial/spin motion blur on the wheels for the first time and in doing so, I got the idea to "unlock" Phototravel. Remember, when doing this, the tires, wheels, brake disks spin but not the brake caliper assembly. Another thing, since this was not a profile shot, motion blur would not be realistic for this point of view. Here we could see the vanishing point (VP) at the end of the street and it did not need to be blured. What I needed was to vary the blur from heavy to very little. If there is an easier way, I couldn't find it. So I divided the background into five different layers, perpendicular to the street, and then varied the motion blur in each layer. It worked! Lastly, I added the driver and lens flares.
On the re-edit, I applied the much needed radial motion blur to the road surface. What I had previously applied was not enough. I centered the effect at the VP and only kept the effect of the road, erasing the rest.

What's Wrong with this Picture?

McLaren MP4-12C, '10 Kyoto Gion
by Metalsun1, on Flickr

RE-EDIT

McLaren MP4-12C 10 Kyoto Gion
by Metalsun1, on Flickr​

Well I guess, nobody told the driver that "YOU CAN'T DRIVE IN PHOTOTRAVEL". Says who?
This is not an imported McLaren into Gion, it is part of the original picture.

ORIGINAL

10555787965_01de8078ca_b.jpg

Last edited:
Great, I see you're presumably the first one who came up with the idea of "editing a certain amount of blur" into the loop of the rim parts in phototravel. totally an novel concept! :eek:

Who is able to make something new with a game soon reaching its end ? You Metalsun, this is greatly done 👍

I also loving the historical writings.

Can you try to add more motion effect on the right part of the pic ? I see the rear wheel spining but the ground is static, or may be I need glasses :)

Thanks lilmann73, sneakyboy62 and HaerBev. I guess it was one of those "Why I didn't think of that?"; it happens to me sometimes. I have never seen a dynamic Phototravel pic, in my short 5 months doing this, maybe there's another. If not, now you know how.
HaerBev, I really appreciated your criticism and no, you do not need eye glasses. I knew something was kind of wrong and that I needed more motion blur but I let it pass, maybe "it fits". Your comment on the relation between the road a tire was such an obvious observation that I was surprised that I had missed that and I said, "Aha, there it is!". I also left out the blurring of background seen through the inside of the car. Being the perfectionist that I am with my edits, I could not let it stand uncorrected and so I did (above). Thanks again.

Last edited:
I got to say, your edits are pretty darn amazing. Your attention to detail is excellent. I love the 911 RS (I love Porsches) It's a very clean edit and the included details are done very well indeed.

It's great to read your breakdown of your process on these edits too. Sounds very tedious sometimes, which is not surprising but the effort is well worth the outcome.

The whole shadow cleanup job you mention is done pretty well and it's smooth as silk, my only little gripe about it is that overall because of the intense layering and re-shadow work on the body it seems a litle too bright a white. A bit unatural as it were. But it's only minor.

As for the MP4 edit, well done again, the radial blur on the wheels without affecting the calipers, bravo! And the multi stage zoom blur is a great. Actually it's what I would have done if I were to do such a thing. I think your the first i've seen to try to get that level of accuracy in that effect. Plus the driver additions in both images are done well. (Know idea how you went about those.

Just great work on every piece and the nice bit of history and info to go with some of work is great also. 👍 👍

One thing I was wondering personally, with all that high level editing why do you chooose to leave the GT watermark in there?

Remember, when doing this, the tires, wheels, brake disks spin but not the brake caliper assembly.

This little detail is the perfect mark of your work. That's why you make great photos 👍

The various motion blur intensity is so well done executed.The re-edit work is just perfect.

My pleasure Metalsun, I'm always watching the pictures in fullsize format, now your Mp4 one is perfect, I'm also loving the licence plate support removal. It must be a lot of work but please, make more more more. An Ahrweiler leaving parking lot could be great.

GPR
One thing I was wondering personally, with all that high level editing why do you choose to leave the GT watermark in there?

Thanks GPR, and to answer your question, I guess, it's that I am proud that it came from a video game named Gran Turismo. Those who know it (other than us), could appreciate it and also I hope that those who don't know it, who happen upon the edits, get curious enough to look us up.

This little detail is the perfect mark of your work. That's why you make great photos 👍
The various motion blur intensity is so well done executed.The re-edit work is just perfect.

Thanks Kodje, your work is also quite inspiring.

My pleasure Metalsun, I'm always watching the pictures in fullsize format, now your Mp4 one is perfect, I'm also loving the licence plate support removal. It must be a lot of work but please, make more more more. An Ahrweiler leaving parking lot could be great.

Thank you, HaerBev, I was thinking Shore-in, kicking up some dust and gravel in the parking lot.

I was contributing in another forum about this very subject and the similarities of the flips, manufacturers and Webber hit me. Given my humorous streak, I had to do something about it. Here, when taking the picture without the car, all is in perfect focus. So taking what I learned in my last edit, I did a radial motion blur in Zoom mode at the VP. Again, it blurred everything, so I only kept the road and the extreme left and right of the shot. I also made an intermediate radial blur and nothing at the VP.

Mark Webber is returning to sports car racing, this time with Porsche in 2014 and new safety features!

Porsche LMP1 Prototype 2014 Nürburgring Nordschleife
by Metalsun1, on Flickr​

Back in 1955, Mercedes-Benz crashed at Le Mans with devastating results, the factory stopped racing there until 1998 where they flipped and crashed again in 1999 with Mark Webber, never to return. Porsche flipped their GT1 in 1998 at Road Atlanta, later tried to fix it but stopped racing in the top-tier, LMP1, category...until next year. This is a shot of Mark Webber in the new 2014 Porsche LMP1 prototype undergoing certification testing at the "Ring". Extreme precautions have been taken, so just in case life repeats itself, Porsche has prepared an ejection seat. Since he and Porsche have had some flight experience it should be an easy fit.
Disclosure: This Porsche is an un-edited photo from the web. It was announced a couple of months ago that Mark Webber will leave the F1 Red Bull team to drive Porsche prototypes. I am poking a little fun at Mark Webber, so, no whining.

Last edited:
Here, I originally wanted to do an exaggerated chromed modern car for NBDESIGNZ's request in a 3.0 Competition. Eventually, deciding on making the edit seem like it would fit on a modern car without looking out of place by adding more "things". Here, to make it a convertible, I erased the car's top and replaced the background (from the sidewalk and up) with another shot I did without the car. This is easy in Photo Travel since you can move the car without moving the camara. I hate the citizens of "Granturismoland" so I blured them. I hate the cardboard people even more. I used the roll bars, head lights, front grille and door design element from the Art Morrison 1960's Corvette. The hardest part was that I had to paint the shadows/reflections on the headlights, trying to integrate them in a believable manner. There is no easy way to do this. Practice, trial and error and observe how light reflects on the cars.

A little retro chrome fun. Trying to add elements of the Art Morrison 1960 custom Corvette to a 2009 Corvette ZR1.

This is the 2nd prototype, want to see the first?

Last edited:
Excellent ! Tu be honnest I'm not a big fan of the appearance of this retro ZR1 but the edit work is once more totally amazing ! I would like to be able to do such edit. I'm very impressed by the amount of work on the little details you put in your creations. And it works perfectly. To be simple I don't really like this car but I totally love your pic !

Excellent ! Tu be honnest I'm not a big fan of the appearance of this retro ZR1 but the edit work is once more totally amazing ! I would like to be able to do such edit. I'm very impressed by the amount of work on the little details you put in your creations. And it works perfectly. To be simple I don't really like this car but I totally love your pic !

Hahaha, yep I pretty much agree with this. Awesome edit though. 👍

Looks like it has braces. ;)

I totally understand, Kodje, I would definitely pass on buying the car until the next generation. The crazy thing is, the more I see it, the more familiar, the more I like it. It's like the Alfa Romeo 8C. I couldn't see anything appealing when I first saw it, now I love the curves and wish I had one.
GPR, the "braces" thing cracked me up and your right! But then, they all had "braces" those days. Originally, I wanted the grille to have a greater presence but due to the 3.0 Competition time constraint, I opted to make it simpler so that I can finish it sooner.

WHhaat? hehe although I'm not pretty much fond of the sharky-looking corvette with goggle eyed-headlights at the hood in the second picture, I like the way how you did conjure up with that sort of mind-boggling editing in both images(as for the first shot the startling outlook of the driver ejecting from the cockpit agrees to my liking), showing that I have to set minds to keep track of your next forthcoming works you come up with your boundless imagination. :D 👍

Very interesting idea Metalsun! Although I'm not a fan of the headlights, the editing/integration is really good!👍 The design elements I do like are the side vents and making it a convertible. It's an awesome edit!

Latest Posts

Back