Metalsun's GT5 Gallery | R33 Pace Car, 1997 Le Mans

• Thread starter Metalsun
  • 85 comments
You guys mean something like this? The C6 Prototype 1

9731872115_94cec01b4e_z.jpg

Beginning in the 90's, there was an increasing trend among automotive manufacturers in retro styling some of their model lines. Chevrolet resisted and tried their hand in the form of organic styling for their 6th generation Corvette, C6. Here we have their first prototype, C6P1. This prototype was quite a promising study in that it incorporated newly developed technologies. Among its most notable was its application of lightweight materials resulting in a great power to weight ratio and Launch Control. Although devoid of any metallic exterior shell since the Corvette's beginning in 1953, the C6P1's chassis is 100% corrosion proof. Night and day vision is exceptional. Among its most prominent attribute was its grip. Truly a miracle of engineering, the car's roadside grip will make any modern Formula 1 car put to shame. One notable drawback was its lack of horsepower, hurting its top end and resulting in a lower top speed compared with its rivals. Eventually, it was determined through market studies and surveys that the car lacked the commercial visual appeal to be successful. The same observations were repeating, over and over with comments like, "It looks like a frog with braces". So, Chevrolet canned any further development.
A second prototype was ordered, the C6P2 (see the previous page). Here, Chevrolet bowed to the retro styling trends of the time and had to make many compromises, although it added new technologies. This second prototype received raving reviews:
Dude...This is just one of the most beautiful corvettes i have ever seen! It should win the GT Award!!!
Excellent ! …totally amazing !
Very interesting idea…
Oh men!...

But again, the C6P2 suffered from persistent FROG and BRACES similarities:
Not too keen on the looks of that... err... car
To be honest I'm not a big fan of the appearance of this retro ZR1…
GPR
Hahaha…Looks like it has braces.
What…I'm not pretty much fond of the sharky-looking corvette with goggle eyed-headlights…
The car looks like some smiling frog…

The C6P2 project was quickly cancelled and after a much needed shakedown and restructuring at their automotive design division, they finally got it right. This time, without any retro or amphibious styling cues. In 2004, to great praise, Chevrolet unveiled their consumer-ready C6 to the public at the Detroit Opera House.

Last edited:
This edit was in my To Do list for a while and after winning my first 3.0 competition, or any for that matter, I though it would be a good subject for the next comp. It was a good opportunity to see those police markings from around the world. Of course, why should you guys have all the fun, so I did mine, even though I could not compete since I was the judge.
Here I added lots of lighting and lens reflections plus two background items that would identify the environment as Puerto Rico. The traffic sign "San Juan", the capitol and "Carolina" where I live and the "Medalla Light" advertisement, a local beer brewery. I really like this location because it has lots of elements that can appear familiar to anybody in any place in the world.

This is the Lamborghini Aventador, as it would appear as an interceptor for the Traffic Division of the Puerto Rico State Police Department, my local police deparment. This police department uses 3 different liveries, the other two are for standard patrol vehicles.

The REAL DEAL...

10161675716_1388506c3d_o.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty nice edit Metalsun. As you say the setting is a good fit for it and I really like the added details like the signs you mention. 👍

I hope to have a bit of time to get an entry in for your theme. Should be fun. :)

Another great edit work mate. I will ramble but the thing that amaze me the most in your work is your attention to the little details. And, as usual, it's a real pleasure to read the "how i did that" text before each pic. thx for taking time to write them :)

Originally, I was going to do this livery and I wanted an impressive exotic. I decided on the Lamborghini above, but it wasn't a good subject so show off the white diagonal lines, so I used the traffic police livery. I needed a large uninterrupted area on the side to show those stripes, a GT, the 599. Here, I worked in adding highlights and shadows on those otherwise flat white stripes to give them a 3d shape. In the background I added the logo of the largest bank in Puerto Rico, "Banco Popular".

Here is a Ferrari 599 as a standard patrol vehicle for the Policía de Puerto Rico, my local state police department. There are two liveries for these standard patrol cars. I like this one better.

Here is the real one:
10214079905_de9a3cc5b4_z.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing work you did man - I prefer the supplementary editings of headlamps and indicator on the roof glittering bright azure, besides the flowing background and rim of the car do look awesome too. :)

Outstanding work on the police cruiser features to the two vehicles. I'd say the 599 would have to be my favorite. :cool:

I was going to do just one police car but ended up with three. This was a fun series to do. The result of my vision for a 3.0 Unlimited Competition which I got a great kick out of it because the contestants showed us a little piece of their home to us. All these three edits were just "standard" livery edits, although the lighting was hard to figure out and make it pleasing without overdoing it. Of course, I modified the GT5 directional traffic sign for some local destinations.

Here is a Lexus LFA as the second type of livery on standard patrol vehicles for the Policía de Puerto Rico. Like I had mentioned above, there are two liveries for these patrol cars, this is the older one...

and here is the real one.
10374828316_b561926457_o.jpg

Last edited:
Great work once more mate. These two new police edits are very well done, very realistic. My fav' remain the first one but I also like a lot that LFA 👍

I was going to do just one police car but ended up with three. This was a fun series to do. The result of my vision for a 3.0 Unlimited Competition which I got a great kick out of it because the contestants showed us a little piece of their home to us. All these three edits were just "standard" livery edits, although the lighting was hard to figure out and make it pleasing without overdoing it.

Here is a Lexus LFA as the second type of livery on standard patrol vehicles for the Policía de Puerto Rico. Like I had mentioned above, there are two liveries for these patrol cars, this is the older one

...and here is the real one.
10374828316_b561926457_o.jpg
I looked through some of your work, I'm very impressed. Some I had to carefully look at to see what was add.

The last 2 are nicely editied also. Great intergration. The flares seema a bit over done to me but still great attention to detail. 👍

Originally, I wanted to do a vintage race poster advertising the 1966 Targa Florio but after finishing it, most of the detail work would have been lost by the post editing. Some other time then. Like I mentioned below, I edited the no. 130 TZ2 to look like the class winning no. 126. I like the way it came out, except for the driver. This modern helmet/racing suit sometimes really kills the shot when trying to shoot classic cars. Here I just removed the helmet's sponsorship advertising. I posted already in the GT6 wish list for vintage helmets and clothing. I am sure you all agree or at least another Racing Gear DLC.

In 2009 Kazunori Yamauchi awarded the Gran Turismo Trophy to Bill Lyon at the Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance for his 1966 Alfa Romeo TZ2, chassis no. 750.106. A beautiful car with a great racing history, enough for me to do an edit. In researching the subject, I found that the livery chosen by Lyon did not represent a race that the 705.106 had won. If I were to restore a racing car, I would use a winning livery. So, what's up? The livery used on racing cars could be different from season to season or even from race to race. This is to reflect the previous year's championship positions, changing sponsorship or even race requirements. After seeing the car in other liveries, my theory is that it was its most colorful when painted for the 1966 Targa Florio. Here, the car finished 2nd in class as no. 130. My edit is for the 1st in class finisher for that race and 4th overall, chassis 750.113, driven by Enrico Pinto and Nino Todaro. They drove 10 laps of the 45 mi (72 km) course in 7h:45m:24s on the italian island of Sicily as car no. 126.

Last edited:
I like the way it came out, except for the driver. This modern helmet/racing suit sometimes really kills the shot when trying to shoot classic cars. Here I just removed the helmet's sponsorship advertising. I posted already in the GT6 wish list for vintage helmets and clothing. I am sure you all agree or at least another Racing Gear DLC.

Totaly agree !

And beautiful edit with one of my favorite cars once again 👍

What can we say... That is just perfect mate ! The idea is more than excellent and the realisation is close to perfection. The most impressive thing is the way you have given relief to the face on the front of the bus. Great work once more :cheers:

I kind of liked the idea of doing another Safety/Pace car when ajrichar requested an image of the R33. I am sure the car was needed during the race, but, I could not find much reference of the Skyline other than the video below. So I used that video as my historic reference. In my historic edits I avoid "fantasy" scenes.

I edited this as a favor to a crazy Skyline fanatic, ajrichar. This Nissan Skyline (R33) really got to "stretch its legs" during the race due to various crashes and fires. It was used in the 1997 24 Hours of Le Mans as the official Pace Car, fast forward to 3:34 for a glimpse.

Last edited:
This is my last GT5 edit and looking forward to GT6. Learned a lot and had great fun doing them. Thank you all for visiting and leaving your comments, they have been very helpful and inspiring.

This last one is excellent. A good sample of your whole awesome editing work 👍
Can't wait to watch your further creation with GT6 :cheers:

Back