Mid-Field Supercar Shootout '15 - Congratulations to the Champion DolHaus!

• Thread starter CSLACR
  • 658 comments
Thanks @biffa3 for the review, 👍 Glad you enjoyed it.Good Lap Times too! I'll loosen up a bit and see how it drives.
animated-smileys-drinking-187.gif

Here are my results for the Mid-Field Supercar Shootout.

@shaunm80
Forward - 1:10:356
Has excellent balance. Good turn in and rotation and easy to get power down.

Reverse - 1:12:333
Again shows good balance. Copes well with the crest. All round excellent car. Good effort.

DC - 9

Thank you for the review and congratulations on achieving a great time in it. I am glad you enjoyed this tune.

@DolHaus
Forward - 1:10:061
This car is all about the front end. If you can adjust to the responsiveness, it'll give good, consistent lap times. Front also liked to lock up under braking.

Reverse - 1:11:464
Found it easier to drive reverse. Front end was more controllable, but the crest hurt lap times. Very hard to get it right.

DC - 8.5
Thank you for testing and for the review :cheers:
I'm a little surprised you preferred the car on the reverse course, I thought it felt much more at home on the smoother forward route myself :confused: :lol:
Where were you locking up on the forward course?

Thank you for testing and for the review :cheers:
I'm a little surprised you preferred the car on the reverse course, I thought it felt much more at home on the smoother forward route myself :confused: :lol:
Where were you locking up on the forward course?

Think I preferred reverse because the front was easier to control. I tend to brake late then turn in. A front end like this one helps heaps with that but a little too much is harder to control with the d-pad. I found it locked up the worst at the right hander before the 1st tunnel.

Think I preferred reverse because the front was easier to control. I tend to brake late then turn in. A front end like this one helps heaps with that but a little too much is harder to control with the d-pad. I found it locked up the worst at the right hander before the 1st tunnel.
Hmmm... Sounds like we have a similar approach to braking but I never really noticed it locking up anywhere except when going over the curbs into the final tunnel a bit too fast. Maybe just a bit too late on the brakes perhaps, the car feels a lot lighter than it is and it kind of lulls you into driving it like an Elise rather than a ton and a half of angry beef :lol:

@biffa3
@TurnLeft
Forward - 1:10:241
Has lots of grip, but also has a tail that wants, and tries to step out. Well tuned out however, although takes some getting used to.

Reverse - 1:12:580
Do what you can in a straight line and it'll reward. Noticed brake release oversteer this way round. Good effort.

DC - 7.5
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this, excellent lap times :bowdown:, you have mine consistent with the other testers and you also have the "gentleman" & the "hoon" driving their twin sisters almost side by side. Also thanks for the review, very appreciated 👍 it will help me to try to get a bit more out of her. :cheers:

Hmmm... Sounds like we have a similar approach to braking but I never really noticed it locking up anywhere except when going over the curbs into the final tunnel a bit too fast. Maybe just a bit too late on the brakes perhaps, the car feels a lot lighter than it is and it kind of lulls you into driving it like an Elise rather than a ton and a half of angry beef :lol:

I put it down to the buttons. If you use the sticks, you can gradually increase brake pressure i'm assuming, whereas the square button is either on or off!

I put it down to the buttons. If you use the sticks, you can gradually increase brake pressure i'm assuming, whereas the square button is either on or off!
You'd think they were more sensitive but on a practical level they're just not very accurate for brake/throttle control. You can't really balance the throttle or brakes using them without resorting to flicking/tapping the stick, very much on or off the same as the buttons.
I'm not an ABS 0 driver so when I brake I stomp the pedal through the bottom of the car and pray that it stops before the wall, finesse has no place in my approach to braking :lol:

Deadline reminder: (It's coming) :P

After a busy week moving house (technically flat, but definitely not apartment @Lionheart2113 :lol:) and surviving manflu, testing is underway with a vengeance! :cheers:

Should have them all driven tomorrow and written up by sunday night. 👍

@CSLACR is there a scoresheet under construction? I`m itching to see how the DC scores are panning out!
I'm almost there, plan to have everything mostly ready by the end of this weekend. 👍
Testers:
CSLACR
Lionheart2113
ONevermind
macdog54
Bowtie-Muscle
fordracer
biffa3
brian wolf
moonshine
Thorin Cain
Michelin

Testing:
Grip reduction must be changed to "real" before testing
SRF is a criminal offense, and those found guilty will be slaughtered by fire-breathing dragons
ABS must be set to "1", unless directly specified by a tuner
TCS and ASM are banned
Driving line is fine 👍
Track time(set) 12:00
Track weather(set) 0%
Weather change 0

Testers may test either the Forward, OR Reverse layout. Ambitious testers may test both directions
Testers are asked to give at least some feedback
A Drivers Choice(DC) rating must be given for all cars. If both directions are driven, separate feedback and DC scoring is welcome for each direction.

Good luck and have fun.
:)

Mid-Field%20Raceway_27_zpswwopq8ob.jpg

Completely up-to-date, if you're missing from this list, or your testing results aren't linked, it means I missed it, or you haven't finished all the cars in a direction.
Just an FYI reminder, testers only need to drive one direction, whichever they prefer.

Mid-Field Supercar Shootout

Track settings: Time at 12:00. Grip set to real, ABS 1 all other aids off.

-All cars were given as long as it took to get what I felt was the best I could get out of them.
which was at least 10 laps in either direction. Most got more.
-All tunes were tested at Midfield, forward then reverse without changing tunes.
-All tunes tested with DFGT.
-All tunes tested as posted.

Testers Notes

I have given separate DC scores for each direction, to indicate whether I felt a tune was better in one
direction without having to describe it for every tune. :cheers:

@doblocruiser
Car: SRT Viper GTS '02
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:11.669 DC 6.5
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:13.039 DC 7.5

Nicely balanced tune. But, the low ride height and high LSD accel setting meant that the kerbs had
to be avoided, making the track very narrow, hindering laptimes. Great brakes though, and just
raising the ride height would make it a lot quicker. Well done.

@DaBomm4
Car: Ferrari F40 '92
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:12.248 DC 7.5
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:13.033 DC 7.5

I found this tune to be very stable mid-corner. But, getting to, and from mid-corner often
envolved a lot of swearing and opposite lock. But, not as difficult as I expected it to be.
You`re a brave man. Well done.

@Brewguy44
Car: SRT Viper ACR '08
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:11.569 DC 7
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:12.936 DC 7

A very stable tune, but could be difficult to rotate in low speed corners. Much better through
the quicker sections. A rearward brake bias would have suited me more on corner entry.
Well done.

@TurnLeft
Car: Ferrari 458 Italia '09
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:10.401 DC 7.5
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:12.388 DC 8

Great rotation at corner entry. But, then understeers through mid and exit. However, it was
balanced enough for a slight over-rotation at entry, some sideways action through mid-corner,
leaving enough tarmac for a fast exit, not only worked, but was fun also. Well done.

@xande1959
Car: Aston Martin One-77 '11
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:10.089 DC 9.5
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:12.071 DC 9.5

Superb. The most fun I`ve had on GT6 in quite a while. This tune fitted me like a glove. Grippy,
responsive and effortless to drive. It made me grin like an idiot and I loved every minute.
Well done.:bowdown:

@Motor City Hami
Car: Nissan GT-R Nismo '14
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:10.890 DC 9
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:12.439 DC 9

A great 4x4 grip tune. Easy to find the limit and balance it there. I drove lap after lap getting
quicker and quicker, finding 10ths here and 100ths there. Almost uncrashable. Well done

@shaunm80
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:10.351 DC 9
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:12.077 DC 9

A very Shaun tune. And thats a good thing. A supple chassis with a nice balance soaked up all the
bumps so I could use all the track and a bit more. The slightest understeer on entry cost a
little time. But, all in all, top tuning. Well done.

@Bowtie-muscle
Car: Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:10.052 DC 9
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:11.910 DC 8.5

A great tune for consistant lap times. But, too stable for me to get it really fast. I just
couldn`t get the back end to slide through entry or mid-corner. Which, of course is exactly how
you like `em. Top tune. Well done.

@787bcgr
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:10.734 DC 8
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:11.936 DC 8

Great tune, liked to be driven hard. Had to really throw it around to get the back end where I
wanted it. And it lacked a little composure during high speed weight transfer. Nothing major
though. Well done.

@Thorin Cain
Car: Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 Superveloce '09
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:09.944 DC 8.5
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:11.945 Dc 8.5

I didn`t know Lamborghini made a rally car! I had to poke it with a stick, but when I
did it was suprisingly fast. More front/less rear grip would have made it easier for me to drive
it quickly. Well done.

@Ridox2JZGTE
Car: Lamborghini Countach '88
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:12.097 DC 7.5
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:14.419 DC 7

Too stiff for me. Weight transfer rear to front was happening too quick for me to keep up with
it. 3rd gear being long didn`t help the fun factor either. The chassis balance was good. But, I
just don`t have the skill to get better times. Well done.

@DolHaus
Car: Lamborghini Diablo GT '00
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:09.960 DC 8.5
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:11.590 DC 8

Crikey! Very quick turn in and a bit unpredictable mid-corner depending on how corner entry went!
Bloody quick though! Had some issues with the pendulum effect on the run through the fast esses
in both directions. Else it would have destroyed everything else laptime-wise. And not as much
fun as I was expecting. Interestingly, I tried this tune when you posted, but on DS3 and it was
much easier to drive? Well done.

@brian wolf
Car: Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C6) '09
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:09.929 DC 9
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:11.434 DC 9

I threw all the cheese at this one and it does what I wanted it to do.

@Otaliema
Car: Ferrari 430 Scuderia '07
Lap Time (Forward) - 1:10.594 DC 8
Lap Time (Reverse) - 1:12.175 DC 8

I love the BLOR on corner entry. But mid to exit understeer cost exit speed. Too safe for me to
be fast. But fun trying to provoke it. Well done.

A hearty well done to all tuners. And to CSLACR for getting this contest together. This has been
the most fun group of tunes I`ve tested in a while. Just what I needed to get over the dreaded
manflu. 👍

:gtpflag:

-All cars were given as long as it took to get what I felt was the best I could get out of them.
-All tunes were tested at Midfield, forward then reverse without changing tunes.

Testers Notes

I have given separate DC scores for each direction, to indicate whether I felt a tune was better in one

@doblocruiser

Nicely balanced tune. But, the low ride height and high LSD accel setting meant that the kerbs had
to be avoided, making the track very narrow, hindering laptimes. Great brakes though, and just

@DaBomm4

I found this tune to be very stable mid-corner. But, getting to, and from mid-corner often
envolved a lot of swearing and opposite lock. But, not as difficult as I expected it to be.

@Brewguy44

A very stable tune, but could be difficult to rotate in low speed corners. Much better through
the quicker sections. A rearward brake bias would have suited me more on corner entry.
Well done.

@TurnLeft

Great rotation at corner entry. But, then understeers through mid and exit. However, it was
balanced enough for a slight over-rotation at entry, some sideways action through mid-corner,
leaving enough tarmac for a fast exit, not only worked, but was fun also. Well done.

@xande1959

Superb. The most fun I`ve had on GT6 in quite a while. This tune fitted me like a glove. Grippy,
responsive and effortless to drive. It made me grin like an idiot and I loved every minute.

@Motor City Hami

A great 4x4 grip tune. Easy to find the limit and balance it there. I drove lap after lap getting
quicker and quicker, finding 10ths here and 100ths there. Almost uncrashable. Well done

@shaunm80

A very Shaun tune. And thats a good thing. A supple chassis with a nice balance soaked up all the
bumps so I could use all the track and a bit more. The slightest understeer on entry cost a

@Bowtie-muscle

A great tune for consistant lap times. But, too stable for me to get it really fast. I just
couldn`t get the back end to slide through entry or mid-corner. Which, of course is exactly how

@787bcgr

Great tune, liked to be driven hard. Had to really throw it around to get the back end where I
wanted it. And it lacked a little composure during high speed weight transfer. Nothing major
though. Well done.

@Thorin Cain

I didn`t know Lamborghini made a rally car! I had to poke it with a stick, but when I
did it was suprisingly fast. More front/less rear grip would have made it easier for me to drive
it quickly. Well done.

@Ridox2JZGTE

Too stiff for me. Weight transfer rear to front was happening too quick for me to keep up with
it. 3rd gear being long didn`t help the fun factor either. The chassis balance was good. But, I

@DolHaus

Crikey! Very quick turn in and a bit unpredictable mid-corner depending on how corner entry went!
Bloody quick though! Had some issues with the pendulum effect on the run through the fast esses
in both directions. Else it would have destroyed everything else laptime-wise. And not as much
fun as I was expecting. Interestingly, I tried this tune when you posted, but on DS3 and it was

@brian wolf

@Otaliema

I love the BLOR on corner entry. But mid to exit understeer cost exit speed. Too safe for me to

A hearty well done to all tuners. And to CSLACR for getting this contest together. This has been
the most fun group of tunes I`ve tested in a while. Just what I needed to get over the dreaded
manflu. 👍

You spent more than 10 laps on each direction :eek: thank you for the time and effort, still a respectable time :cheers: I'm happy with the score as well, I tried to make it work on stock weight, for me I felt the car needs to be stiffer, should be around 5kg/mm more on both springs and then I can run softer damper and ARB :D Shows how much varied our preference in driving after reading several test reviews. Thanks all 👍

You spent more than 10 laps on each direction :eek: thank you for the time and effort, still a respectable time :cheers: I'm happy with the score as well, I tried to make it work on stock weight, for me I felt the car needs to be stiffer, should be around 5kg/mm more on both springs and then I can run softer damper and ARB :D Shows how much varied our preference in driving after reading several test reviews. Thanks all 👍
No probs!👍 Testing in these contests is the one of the best ways to learn how to tune.
@brian wolf - Do you run auto-box?
No, manual. 👍

@DolHaus

Thank you very much for the review, well done with your usual consistency across the board :cheers:

I can imagine the car would be a handful using a wheel, you'd struggle to turn the wheel fast enough to keep up with the front end :lol: I never really found a line through the esses that I liked either, wasn't sure if it was me or the car, it felt like I was always going too fast and hitting the outside wall or too slow and ending up in the middle of the track

Thank you very much for the review, well done with your usual consistency across the board :cheers:

I can imagine the car would be a handful using a wheel, you'd struggle to turn the wheel fast enough to keep up with the front end :lol: I never really found a line through the esses that I liked either, wasn't sure if it was me or the car, it felt like I was always going too fast and hitting the outside wall or too slow and ending up in the middle of the track
Lift throttle and just barely dab the brakes entering,(at the last brake marker is about perfect) and back on throttle to keep the rear from coming out as soon as you turn in enough. It can take it slightly faster than any other car in the shootout. Well that goes for every corner. (except maybe the crest on reverse)

@brian wolf - Do you run auto-box?
Sorry I don't mean to be rude, I'm just curious.

Good times and testing 👍

:lol:No probs. Times are a bit slower than I expected. I`m about 1/2 sec/lap off what I was running before the manflu struck and I had to start again. :irked: If I tune, I test. It helps the learning process. 👍

Thank you for the kind words! 👍 Not just me then! :D

Lift throttle and just barely dab the brakes entering,(at the last brake marker is about perfect) and back on throttle to keep the rear from coming out as soon as you turn in enough. It can take it slightly faster than any other car in the shootout. Well that goes for every corner. (except maybe the crest on reverse)
:bowdown:Thats the theory! But in practice I found it not quite as easy to do consistantly! :dunce:

oops sorry for double post

Testers Notes

@doblocruiser

@DaBomm4

@Brewguy44

Well done.

@TurnLeft

@xande1959

@Motor City Hami

@shaunm80

@Bowtie-muscle

@787bcgr

though. Well done.

@Thorin Cain

it quickly. Well done.

@Ridox2JZGTE

@DolHaus

@brian wolf

@Otaliema

manflu. 👍

Thanks for another great review. Very close to my Times in my tune. TOLD you yours was wilder and more eager to turn, ride height and neg rear toe. But did you like mine over the crest? ;)

Yeah I think that was my approach but I found that section to be my most inconsistent, it either went fine and I carried the speed or it just spat me into the wall. That section and the crest were the make or break sections of the lap for me. I liked your description on the forward section review where you said it was "technically" consistent, sums the car up as it will respond the same way every time but if you're not expecting the response it it can be somewhat unnerving :lol:

Thanks for another great review. Very close to my Times in my tune. TOLD you yours was wilder and more eager to turn, ride height and neg rear toe. But did you like mine over the crest? ;)
:cheers: I cheesed my tune totally. I had to after @DolHaus posted his Diablo. I knew how fast it could be. Yours was very planted over the crest, but @TurnLeft`s 458 was the fastest through that section, only one to enter turn 2 at 130mph!

Yeah I think that was my approach but I found that section to be my most inconsistent, it either went fine and I carried the speed or it just spat me into the wall. That section and the crest were the make or break sections of the lap for me. I liked your description on the forward section review where you said it was "technically" consistent, sums the car up as it will respond the same way every time but if you're not expecting the response it it can be somewhat unnerving :lol:
Nary a lap over 1:08.999 in this car for me, I absolutely adored it.
I'm sure reverse will be trickier though. :)
:cheers: I cheesed my tune totally. I had to after @DolHaus posted his Diablo. I knew how fast it could be. Yours was very planted over the crest, but @TurnLeft`s 458 was the fastest through that section, only one to enter turn 2 at 130mph!
Yeah in my early reverse testing, the 458's are monsters through there, although I think the ACR could as well if it rotated a little better. Murcielago gets a notable mention. Aero is king. :lol:

Yeah in my early reverse testing, the 458's are monsters through there, although I think the ACR could as well if it rotated a little better. Murcielago gets a notable mention. Aero is king. :lol:
What? No love for the 2 bowtie?:odd:
:lol::lol:

Last edited:

You absolutely killed it, incredible times across the board 👍

@shaunm80

Thank you for the review and the compliment of saying that it is a Shaun tune. I must have a style that works if it can be seen as a me tune :) Great times by the way. I am very happy with that review and glad you enjoyed this car.

What? No love for the 2 bowtie?:odd:
:lol::lol:
I drove 2 GTR's, then 2 458's, then 2 ZR1's. (in that order)
The ZR1's were the worst through the "crest/turn1" area on reverse.

The GTR's you can throw in like a returd, and come out alive, so they're great, and the 458's have aero, which the Chevy's ain't got.

The Chevy's secret in this shootout has been how low the factory ride height is. Where many cars got lowered, the Chevy's start at minimum, and get raised up to reasonable.
I tested all the cars close to default, although I raised the ZR1 to 85/85 for testing. The Diablo slipped through, although it seems hard enough to drive that it won't even win, let alone dominate. The Diablo was spec'd with a mid-turbo and 40 more HP a few days before release too. :eek: I'm pretty pleased overall though. I would argue the main reason for having a "runaway" car of sorts is that only 2-3 tuners really raised their ride height much.
But that's current observation, I still have reversing to do. :)

Testers Notes

An interesting idea I hadn't thought of...that will come into play in the future. :)

So do you have an overall DC or should I just split them for scoring purposes? (8.5/9=8.75)

An interesting idea I hadn't thought of...
Really?
A Drivers Choice(DC) rating must be given for all cars. If both directions are driven, separate feedback and DC scoring is welcome for each direction.
;)
So do you have an overall DC or should I just split them for scoring purposes? (8.5/9=8.75)
I thought we`d just use the average. 👍

Thank you for the review and the compliment of saying that it is a Shaun tune. I must have a style that works if it can be seen as a me tune :) Great times by the way. I am very happy with that review and glad you enjoyed this car.
:cheers: Its very Shaun! No drama, easy to drive, a bit safe. But this means it`ll suit 99% of the people who play GT. There is a very good reason why your garage is second most viewed on GTP behind Praianos and I don`t think you always get the credit you deserve. 👍

Really?

;)

I thought we`d just use the average. 👍
Ok, I had thought of it. :lol:

I remember now when I wrote that, I kind of assumed all the testers would give separate DC for each direction, and was actually planning on scoring both at full value.
It was because I initially thought more testers would opt for driving a single direction rather than driving both. testing is funny like that, once you're knee-deep you don't mind adding more a lot of times. :)
If anything I think I will re-highlight it and go with that original plan. If a tester only want to give one DC rating, that's fine too. 👍

Ok, I had thought of it. :lol:

I remember now when I wrote that, I kind of assumed all the testers would give separate DC for each direction, and was actually planning on scoring both at full value.
It was because I initially thought more testers would opt for driving a single direction rather than driving both. testing is funny like that, once you're knee-deep you don't mind adding more a lot of times. :)
If anything I think I will re-highlight it and go with that original plan. If a tester only want to give one DC rating, that's fine too. 👍
I think either is fine too because a tune can be rated for the track it was driven on, or it could be rated for the versatility over all tracks (in this case 2).

Latest Posts

Back