Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
"There are six new block types (five of them have unique abilities), one new monster, a new dimension, and a couple of bug fixes. Once I get the portals working, I’ll have something very interesting going and I’ll spend the rest of the time leading up to the release adding new smaller features and polishing stuff."​

Anyone looking forward to the next update? I wonder what those new blocks are and how they'll work. I hope the monster is for that new dimension (aka hell, gonna be more hellish with a pretty tough monster lurking there.)

Last edited:
I noticed a few videos have crates with cannon balls. Interesting, since nobody ever mentions how to make cannon ball crates.

I don't see why you can't make firearms or cannons. You have iron. You can make steel. You have gunpowder.

A rifle shouldn't be too hard to design. Take blocks of steel and make rods. Use two rods of steel, one plank of wood and you have a rifle. Use one rod of steel, gunpowder and one flint (as the primer) and you have ammo.

I watched ever episoode of that one guy who made all those Minecraft videos. That's how interested I'm into this game. Just a few more months until I can make my new PC and I'll be able to play.

I noticed a few videos have crates with cannon balls. Interesting, since nobody ever mentions how to make cannon ball crates.

I don't see why you can't make firearms or cannons. You have iron. You can make steel. You have gunpowder.

A rifle shouldn't be too hard to design. Take blocks of steel and make rods. Use two rods of steel, one plank of wood and you have a rifle. Use one rod of steel, gunpowder and one flint (as the primer) and you have ammo.

I watched ever episoode of that one guy who made all those Minecraft videos. That's how interested I'm into this game. Just a few more months until I can make my new PC and I'll be able to play.

I've seen Furnace crates (to push carts along), and storage crates (with chests in them) but never a cannonball, in a cart or otherwise :crazy:

I have seen makeshift cannons though, animal trapped in a minecart with a special TNT assembly behind them, sends the animal off the map, :lol:

From,
Chris.

I've seen Furnace crates (to push carts along), and storage crates (with chests in them) but never a cannonball, in a cart or otherwise :crazy:

I have seen makeshift cannons though, animal trapped in a minecart with a special TNT assembly behind them, sends the animal off the map, :lol:

From,
Chris.

What uses are there for obsidian? Some guys have tools made with it, and some say it's not possible! Why?

If it is possible, do they last much longer than diamond tools?

the Halloween update supposedly will have a good number of improvements. that would be a good time to purchase the game (if one hasn't done so already).

the Halloween update supposedly will have a good number of improvements. that would be a good time to purchase the game (if one hasn't done so already).

I read that, too.

New Additions:

• Five new blocks, four of which will make new items
  • Fish will be added so you can finally use your fishing polls
  • New creepy-crawly (night monster)
  • Watches
  • Torches expire
  • Mine deeper
  • Fast Travel

Last edited:

What uses are there for obsidian? Some guys have tools made with it, and some say it's not possible! Why?

If it is possible, do they last much longer than diamond tools?

Without some sort of mod Obsidian can not be used in crafting a tool, other than that it's extremely strong, taking 50 seconds to mine with any tool but diamond tools, and even at that 15 seconds. Which is why people make cannons with it.

The video just shows reskinned TNT, not actual cannonball crates, the cart you saw probably was a TNT cart with the reskinned textures. If you notice, everything in that video looks different than say, Nick09's screenshots.

Edit, with the update you also get the ability to make lanterns, which will not burn out, and any current torches you have will transform into lanterns (He's just transferring the current Torch ID to the Lantern, and making a new one for Torches)

Fast travel is achieved through the new dimension, 1 meter in the "hell" dimension is equal to ~100 meters in the real world.

From,
Chris.

Without some sort of mod Obsidian can not be used in crafting a tool, other than that it's extremely strong, taking 50 seconds to mine with any tool but diamond tools, and even at that 15 seconds. Which is why people make cannons with it.

Some guy had obsidian tools, so he must be a 'hacker/modder.'

The video just shows reskinned TNT, not actual cannonball crates, the cart you saw probably was a TNT cart with the reskinned textures. If you notice, everything in that video looks different than say, Nick09's screenshots.

Reskinned textures, eh? Modders or hackers at work?

Edit, with the update you also get the ability to make lanterns, which will not burn out, and any current torches you have will transform into lanterns (He's just transferring the current Torch ID to the Lantern, and making a new one for Torches)

Cool. Lanterns sounds like a cool idea. Attach one to your helmet, maybe? A hat, perhaps?

Some guy had obsidian tools, so he must be a 'hacker/modder.'
Or retextured Diamond tools ;)
Reskinned textures, eh? Modders or hackers at work?
Not really, there's a ton of texture packs out there, most of minecraft's textures are on a single .png (except for those with special properties such as the Sun, armor, etc.), and with at least WinRAR and MS Paint you can make textures to go in the game.
Cool. Lanterns sounds like a cool idea. Attach one to your helmet, maybe? A hat, perhaps?
I'd very much like a miners hat, but unless it cost a ton to make it might be a bit overpowering expect for the fact enemies could spawn behind you or you might miss things in big caverns.

From,
Chris.

Or retextured Diamond tools ;)

Not really, there's a ton of texture packs out there, most of minecraft's textures are on a single .png (except for those with special properties such as the Sun, armor, etc.), and with at least WinRAR and MS Paint you can make textures to go in the game.

I'd very much like a miners hat, but unless it cost a ton to make it might be a bit overpowering expect for the fact enemies could spawn behind you or you might miss things in big caverns.

From,
Chris.

I still really want to see torches that light up when you equip them, I hate having to use a few torches just to explore a new tunnel.

I am SO gonna buy this right effing now - if only the server wasn't being DDoS'ed atm.. AAAARRGHHHHHHH..

Rumour is the DDoS was by a bunch of Minecraft players demanding their regular updates, reminding Notch that they're the ones that make his success and that he should live up to his promise of weekly updates.

Either way, things seem to be working for now, so until the next DDoS (in the same statement they claimed to give him 1 week) I guess we can all carry on with the addiction...

Today I gathered some red stone(around 30 of it), iron, and gold after finding some good pockets in my mining shaft.

I still can't seem to get in, it's either a flood of people going back to play or it's still under attack.

I still can't seem to get in, it's either a flood of people going back to play or it's still under attack.

Why havn't you downloaded the client when you buy the game? oh well, they can keep ddos'ing the server, hopefully notch will learn not to leave one server to do all the work, he should be able to afford it, he's hauling in major $$$'s from minecraft.

I have it downloaded but I'm on my laptop which hasn't connected to the game via the internet yet. My desktop can rock the downloaded client, but I'm not at home right now.

Well as far as I know your computers don't share save files since the save files are on the computer. If you google a bit you could get instructions on how to import saves to a different computer.

Finally got to the registration - and managed to make a purchase (-: But now it's too late to play games . am on my way to bed..

BUT I HAVE IT!!11!!!1 Will give it more than a few hours over the weekend (-: (And probably end up buying a second account for the better half)

Don't you just hate it when you want to settle down and mine for some ores and stones, and you find a new cave instead... and you just get the urge to jump in and explore it, and make it mob proof? Yeah distracting as heck, can't really get around to mining enough resources to ever build anything big lol.

Someone gave me a rather intresting world file... here see for yourself, brb hosting images.

omgwhat.jpg

whut.jpg

wut.jpg

Here's the outlook via cartograph.
world3carto.png

so freaking huge.

Last edited:
Back