Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
Minecraft Windows 10 Edition (no Java) will be free for everybody who already owns the current Minecraft PC game, release date for the beta is set for July 29th.

I thought some of you might not have heard of it.

Been a while since I've posted here, but I've recently got back into a single-player Minecraft world.

I let the game choose a seed, and by chance it gave me a tiny island, making it something of an impromtu "survival island" situation.

On the plus side, there was a ravine deep below the island, enough space for passive mobs to spawn, a few trees, and a decent range of natural materials. And, being out in the middle of a deep ocean, a water temple nearby that I certainly won't be storming until I've got some decent gear.

On the negative side, it's quite a boat ride away to anything significant. It's also one of the loneliest maps I've ever explored - I've definitely got village spawning on, but I've not come across a single village, nor temple other than water temples (three so far) in all of this space:

2015-07-18_20.49.36.png

My island is where the bright green dot is, and these are quite large scale maps.

As for the island itself, I'm attempting to make it feel a little more lived-on.​

2015-07-18_20.52.23.png

My main house is on the right. The house in the middle is where I keep the map. The house without a roof is my enchanting room. I've got wheat, cows and sheep, and on the hill at the top I've built a church, which I added for a bit of variety. You can also see the nearest water temple from this angle.

Not a big island though. Inevitably, I had to boat to the mainland to find a few things - originally, I headed to the snowy biome at the bottom of the starter map. Before I made maps, I did also find an ice spikes biome.

Not sure what my plan is for this game. I'll probably drop a few more houses on the island, try and complete a nine-map circle around my spawn point, and find somewhere interesting to set up a larger project.

I started a single player world a while ago and was surprised to spawn by Ice Spikes!
I've now mapped the ice spikes on mine, the dotted light blue area to the far right of the top-right map:

2015-07-19_16.47.16.png

So. Much. Snow. Really need to find a decent-sized desert or plains so I can find a village.

Took a few more screenshots of my work. The map now resides in a dedicated "travel room", full of all the odds and sods I need to go travelling - maps, food, boats, beds etc.

2015-07-19_16.58.35.png

And here's a better view of the whole island, from the church. The grey cobbled area is the entrance to my mine.

2015-07-19_17.01.23.png

Edit:

Been exploring some more. Guess what? More ocean...

2015-07-19_20.44.39.png

Did find a flower forest biome though, just off the left side of the top-left map. And further west from that was... another ice spikes biome.

2015-07-19_20.30.24.png

Last edited:
I haven't played any Minecraft in a long while. When I do play it again, I want to go back to building cities and stuff. I have yet to build a city in the icy part of my Creative world. I also have yet to find any desert land in my Creative world. That is, unless I take parts of my world and somehow turn certain biomes into other biomes (such as swamp land to desert land).

But again... I haven't played this game in a long while. So whatever I do in my next play, I'll be pretty rusty. I certainly will lack battle experience on the PC end of Minecraft because I've spent so much time with Creative mode on Peaceful.

Some Pictures of the city section of my escape map on PS4, although most of it was made on PS3

jH5k76mwV-URftuO2kgHvkV-Mk6YxdHthq2n1eVVSnk=w281-h158-p-no

At the left: Car Factory, in the middle: Hotel, At the right: Bookstore
TtCX80_qRRShL57ra6IhkR1tBMIbis8W868hJ29APQk=w282-h158-p-no
-YuFnucF2rK8BXyhR1xGSJFZYoX5kKARUgpT0Z1qrDU=w282-h158-p-no

Convenience Store.................................Birds eye view of car factory parking lot
A-hz7-IDqG9XtXUWDeLHRbq3q8HLhIlh9f9l8g8sN_M=w281-h158-p-no
wpUolPTNCBEUEiR7wOwH78Xcxi87uu8N9F8mP6m_YAc=w282-h158-p-no

Fire Truck next to burned out building..............Undecided (Empty) Buildings

Here is a picture of the entire escape map so far, it is actually far bigger than it looks as many areas take place in interiors under the surface. It is not close to being finished though.
The brick city from the above pictures is shown at the far right.

E-znWXkwQ0Hos78oX5h8UvXD7Ua4jDaii26XkBH_Mgw=w368-h207-p-no

It is a prison escape map, you start in the courtyard at the bottom. That tan area to the right of the courtyard is the tutorial area with rules for map and a hall of fame for people who played it. I would explain the whole map but I would rather make a video later when it's finished. (check back in about 5 or 6 years).

-------------------------------------------------------------------
And here is an unrelated brick house and muscle car.

fvlkvM-fYQ4vAWkeDecWsAt22u91fSMVD-Js2nbfhRI=w282-h158-p-no

Last edited:
Does certain conditions spawn specific mobs? Or prevent mobs from spawning? ( I understand lighting has an effect on hostile mobs )

Here's why I'm asking.. For almost five months I've been playing on a map that is 98 percent ocean water. I've kept the difficulty set at normal and on survival mode. The few patches of land are incredible small with almost no resources. There are a few small mushroom islands, no villages or temples. Well none that I've found yet anyway. But the biggest problem I've come into is, there are no animals spawning on the surface. I've found bats underground but that's all.

As for hostile mobs, creepers are everywhere. Floating in the water, underground, in my small farm..everywhere. Spiders are rare.. They tend to spawn off in the distance, and disappear before I can get to them. (I need string to make a bed.) Zombies only spawn underground and in my house. I've yet to see any in the water. Oh and one witch that appeared on a small 9x3 island.

Is there anyway to get animals to spawn? Do I need more trees? Grass? Wider areas of land?

These two things, generally. First thing I did on my survival island map is dig some of the hills out and use the dirt to expand the surface area of the land.
I'll try to post some pics of the map this weekend, to give a better idea of how little I've been working with. I've secretly been hoping something would spawn on one of the mushroom islands.. But no luck on that.

I'll try to post some pics of the map this weekend, to give a better idea of how little I've been working with. I've secretly been hoping something would spawn on one of the mushroom islands.. But no luck on that.
I think only Mooshrooms are able to spawn on mushroom islands. If even they aren't spawning (you can of course breed cows from Mooshrooms, by using shears to turn the Mooshrooms into cows - though they won't turn back) then it's definitely a space issue and the islands are all too small.

Incidentally, are you playing on a console version? It shouldn't affect spawn rates, but for me the best solution to your problem would simply be to sail somewhere until you found a better area. If it's a console version then you're pretty much screwed as far as finding suitable space goes.

I think only Mooshrooms are able to spawn on mushroom islands. If even they aren't spawning (you can of course breed cows from Mooshrooms, by using shears to turn the Mooshrooms into cows - though they won't turn back) then it's definitely a space issue and the islands are all too small.

Incidentally, are you playing on a console version? It shouldn't affect spawn rates, but for me the best solution to your problem would simply be to sail somewhere until you found a better area. If it's a console version then you're pretty much screwed as far as finding suitable space goes.
Yeah this map is on the PS4. I took your advice and started taking dirt from the mushroom islands and have formed a ring of islands surrounding my home island. Now I just have to wait for grass to grow.

Actually the limited map area on the console version is why I went back to playing it on the PS4. I found while playing on the PC I was happier in a small area to farm and mine. So an infinite map was kind of a lost cause for me.

Yeah this map is on the PS4. I took your advice and started taking dirt from the mushroom islands and have formed a ring of islands surrounding my home island. Now I just have to wait for grass to grow.
Remember that you'll need to connect any dirt to another grassy area for the grass to spread.

I second homeforsummer, put together 3 or so boats and sail due whatever without changing course. You are bound to find a large tract of land in time. For the record only mooshrooms spawn on the surface of mushie islands but underground the usual suspects turn up (dissappointingly, as I was looking forward to some hassle-free mining!)

In other news anyone know when the next big update is likely to drop? Is it 1.9? It's been a while...

He said they wanted to drop the first snapshot on Wednesday.

I really miss playing this game, but it cosumed a lot of my time, maybe I will start playing this game again, but not soon I admit.

Don't get too excited about the snapshot. I heard it won't have the features from 1.9, just some fixes and stuff.

Since the last update I think the mobs are little smarter.

Minecraft is a little bit slower since the last two updates.

Last edited:
I second homeforsummer, put together 3 or so boats and sail due whatever without changing course. You are bound to find a large tract of land in time. For the record only mooshrooms spawn on the surface of mushie islands but underground the usual suspects turn up (dissappointingly, as I was looking forward to some hassle-free mining!)

In other news anyone know when the next big update is likely to drop? Is it 1.9? It's been a while...

To be honest I've only explored one full map worth of the world. I'm not sure how large the world's are on next gen consoles so I've kinda assumed that the rest of it would be mostly ocean and such. Guess it's time to travel to the ends of world.

To be honest I've only explored one full map worth of the world. I'm not sure how large the world's are on next gen consoles so I've kinda assumed that the rest of it would be mostly ocean and such. Guess it's time to travel to the ends of world.
Well the Pc manages to create an infinite world (or so claimed) *, and the next gen consoles (xbox one and ps4) being the awesome machines that they are, would most likely have more grunt power than most people's pc's. So it would be a bit of a let down if mojang doesn't utilize the power of these machines by creating an infinitely generating world.

*Is this still a thing, are the worlds really infinite, because on pc if you try to teleport to a certain point (can't remember which number) in either direction x or y, it will tell you that the number entered is too large, is this suggesting that the minecraft world's are no longer infinite, or Minecraft preventing itself from crashing.

Also Snapshot is out (pc) and there are a heap of new arrows :boggled: not sure what to think. Looking decent, can't wait for shields, and the ability to use both hands!
https://mojang.com/2015/07/minecraft-snapshot-15w31a/

Last edited:
*Is this still a thing, are the worlds really infinite, because on pc if you try to teleport to a certain point (can't remember which number) in either direction x or y, it will tell you that the number entered is too large, is this suggesting that the minecraft world's are no longer infinite, or Minecraft preventing itself from crashing.
About 68 million x 68 million blocks, at the moment. Used to be smaller in Beta, around 24x24 million. I watch the Far Lands or Bust series on Youtube - he's walking to the edge of the map, and he's currently about 2.3 million blocks from spawn, which is about 9.7 million blocks from the edge of the world. He's been walking three game days, three times a week, since 2011...

In other words, the worlds aren't infinite, but they're as good as infinite for most players.

They are procedurally generated though, so until you load a new chunk there's an effectively infinite number of land permutations (within the game's set rules for biomes).

Last edited:
About 68 million x 68 million blocks, at the moment. Used to be smaller in Beta, around 24x24 million. I watch the Far Lands or Bust series on Youtube - he's walking to the edge of the map, and he's currently about 2.3 million blocks from spawn, which is about 10.7 million blocks from the edge of the world. He's been walking three game days, three times a week, since 2011...
Wow that's a pretty big task he's set himself, does he just walk or does he run as well? That guy has a lot of determination!:lol:
In other words, the worlds aren't infinite, but they're as good as infinite for most players.

They are procedurally generated though, so until you load a new chunk there's an effectively infinite number of land permutations (within the game's set rules for biomes).
Yeah didn't think there were...
Interesting, I wonder whether in the near future computers will have the ability to process the whole world and determine what every chunk is to be in the whole 68 million x 68 million block world, in only several minutes when your starting a new game, because it would probably reduce lag throughout gameplay afterwards. Wow Re-reading this comment it seems quite impossible - 4624 million blocks in under five minutes.

Wow that's a pretty big task he's set himself, does he just walk or does he run as well? That guy has a lot of determination!:lol:
No running - he's in beta 1.7.3, and running hadn't been introduced at that point.

He does it for charity though - it's basically a massive walkathon.
Interesting, I wonder whether in the near future computers will have the ability to process the whole world and determine what every chunk is to be in the whole 68 million x 68 million block world, in only several minutes when your starting a new game, because it would probably reduce lag throughout gameplay afterwards. Wow Re-reading this comment it seems quite impossible - 4624 million blocks in under five minutes.
While I don't doubt that some computers would be able to do such a thing, it wouldn't have any benefit for players - while it requires memory to load chunks, the game un-loads chunks you're leaving. The only real thing that grows as you load more chunks is your savegame, since the unloaded chunks are still there to be accessed later. Again, for Far Lands or Bust, the savegame is pretty massive now, since he's been generating new terrain for about four years. Seem to recall it's about 10GB at the moment or something.

Does anyone know if on the ps4 version, or console versions in general, can you make the small maps like when crafting on PC? I want the smaller maps to make a nice higher res map wall but the maps in ps4 version are so large...

Does anyone know if on the ps4 version, or console versions in general, can you make the small maps like when crafting on PC? I want the smaller maps to make a nice higher res map wall but the maps in ps4 version are so large...
I don't think so, if the map starts at quite a large scale when you craft it. On the PC, you start off with a small scale map and have to craft larger scale ones from it, so it seems unlikely that you can reverse that process.

So, still exploring, and developing the map wall.

It turns out I really am in the middle of an enormous ocean, with really only other islands for company.

The only significant land masses are huge snowy biomes to the south east and the north west of my spawn island. Each is so big it contains supposedly rare ice spikes biomes - this one below is next to a flower forest:

2015-08-02_16.05.44.png

Here's the latest iteration of my map wall - my home island is where the green place marker is.

2015-08-02_16.40.47.png

There are some positives, though. First, I'll never be short of packed ice. Two, in the jungle biome at the bottom of my currently explored maps I found a jungle temple, so I got some decent loot there. Three, I've now found about six water temples, so when I've got suitable armour, enchants etc I'll never be short of prismarine, sea lanterns and other water temple goodies either.

And four, because there's so much water in this map, I believe I've actually found the end portal room out in the middle of my ocean - specifically, somewhere near that curved island towards the north east of all the maps. You can just see it in this image:

2015-08-02_16.32.54.png

So again, once I'm ready for it, I won't have to struggle too long to find the end portal room.

I just wish I could find more common things like villages and deserts...

Back