Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
One really effective way I found to build up Ender Pearls was to build an outpost with a watch tower in the middle of a big flat area (a plains biome in my case) with a canopy/roof around it at 3 blocks high. Then at night look out from your tower for any Endermen that spawn nearby, drop down to ground level (I had a handy pool next to my tower to jump straight down), aggro the Enderman and run under your canopy. They are too tall to get to you but will just stay put so you can jab away at them from under your shelter.

I extended the idea a little by digging a ditch about 100x100 around the tower and creating some Stone Golems which, until they messed with the AI a few updates back, would go after any other mobs in their vicinity so I could pick up their drops. Also farmed chickens in the same area :)

Yes good times indeed and yes you are very lucky to find the portal so close where we dug down. It also was not that far from the initial spawn either. The Endermen battle was crazy in the snow. Very rare.

We were having a few problems the next day obtaining more ender pearls from Endermen. Hopefully that resolves itself. Not sure if your sword was knocking them too far away to their death or if the fire was killing them away from us. I also wonder if it had something to do with your world at near capacity with the mated animals. Hopefully you can get some from the Villagers.

Once you get all 11 pearls, I want to be there the first time you enter "The End". Just let me know in advance and I will join you for sure. Even if it ends up being a little later at night during the week. Will be fun to see your reaction when you enter it the first time. :)

The problem was definitely the Knockback effect on the sword. Last night I received 2 ender pearls from killing endermen with just a regular Diamond sword, no enchanments. I killed 3 of them but only 2 gave me the pearls. I also received an eye of ender from trading with the villagers and I am now two emeralds away from another. I only need 4 more ender pearls and then I will have enough for the end portal. Not sure when I will get a chance to play again though, I am really tied up for the next 5 days between work events and life events, and then forza 6 will be out. I will keep working on it when I get the chance though.

The problem was definitely the Knockback effect on the sword. Last night I received 2 ender pearls from killing endermen with just a regular Diamond sword, no enchanments. I killed 3 of them but only 2 gave me the pearls. I also received an eye of ender from trading with the villagers and I am now two emeralds away from another. I only need 4 more ender pearls and then I will have enough for the end portal. Not sure when I will get a chance to play again though, I am really tied up for the next 5 days between work events and life events, and then forza 6 will be out. I will keep working on it when I get the chance though.
Glad you finally acquired enough pearls so we could attack the dragon. Had a blast taking him down!

It has been a while since I've played Minecraft. I am considering retiring my old Minecraft world and starting a new one. The hope is to basically start a new world which will hopefully take advantage of all the different natural settings. My old Minecraft world had all kinds of settings I was able to find... except for desert land. It also took me a while to find any kind of generated structures in my old world until I found a Witch House in the swamp land I found. Sadly, it was the ONLY such generated structure I was able to find. No jungle temple. (Obviously) no desert temple. None of that. So I am just hoping to come along with a new world that maybe takes advantage of many more different biome types and natural features.

Part of me wants to be daring and attempt to modify Minecraft to include more stuff. Now previously, I did not want to try to modify Minecraft to any incredulous degree because I didn't want to potentially screw up anything badly. I nearly thought of making my own program to create and convert models to schematics. I also am considering modeling my own mobs ranging from passive types to various evil mobs. While Minecraft offers endless opportunities to create almost any worlds, not too much is offered in bringing certain life to various places. Maybe I am thinking too much of Minecraft as an RPG or in having an RPG-like realm. I, of course, want to make material fitting to Minecraft. In no way am I thinking of anything to rival the likes of the "World of Warcraft" series or the "Skyrim" series in terms of mobs or other features.

Again... I haven't played Minecraft in about a year. I may slowly get back into the Minecraft realm and try something new on the front of modifying and adding stuff.

I started a new world the other day and spawned next to an Ocean Monument! I recorded it when I was doing a channel update:

I didn't really play Minecraft, but I did practice trying to make schematics for Minecraft. The old workflow was through using Qubicle Constructor exclusively to build the items along with color coding with the model to represent something in the game. The new workflow for me is a bit longer. Instead of using Qubicle Constructor to make voxel models, I am using MagicaVoxel. I was able to re-create the palette used by QC to use in MV to design voxel models. Since I haven't the money to use all of the QC features and for commercial usage, I am using MV to build models and then port my results in the proprietary *.QB format for Qubicle. I have to do a little extra work for models to appear properly in Qubicle. Once I get everything set up and am happy with the results, I export as a Minecraft schematic. The only issue I have is that the program sometimes lags as I try to make a few edits. Despite all of this, I still successfully have ported over two sample models when I put them in MCEdit. There is one thing to note using MagicaVoxel- models are all limited to 126 x 126 x 126 in dimensions. So I'm not expecting to make a Minecraft version of the Burj Dubai or anything.

The vision I have is to make certain structures and even complete RPG-like villages. The possibilities even include making RPG-like caverns and dungeons. What I really want to do is maybe make my own program to take advantage of as many of the different building block types as possible. As there are already certain colors available to represent different Minecraft blocks for a schematic, many more can be taken advantage of. For example, stuff like glass blocks or chiseled stone bricks aren't represented with the old palette system I'm using with. So I guess I am exploring my options of going beyond Vanilla Minecraft.

Yeah I saw that, initially was very interested until I realised it was developed by a totally different team, and is MC in general theme only. In fairness, I don't see that there will ever be a Minecraft 2, just more updates for the original game. 1.9 is looking interesting, just hope MS don't start charging for updates.

I fired up Minecraft PS3 last night. I had to download a lot of updates since I haven't played on my PS3 in a while. Many of the changes are pretty cool in enhancing Minecraft PS3. One thing that seemed mind-blowing was all the different skins available for players. It may seem a bit gimmicky to see some of the various skins (especially of other games), but it was cool seeing them. There were so many different skins to choose from including different styles of Minecraft characters. I stuck with the same Tuxedo Steve skin I used since first playing Minecraft PS3. Minecraft PS3 has still come a long way. I still remember wanting horses in PS3 Minecraft like PC Minecraft had. I noted a lot of new mobs to choose from also. So there are lots of positives to go around.

One thing I did note was that when I was browsing through the skins, I noticed the sky in Minecraft getting darker than usual. It kind of seemed like a glitch in the game engine. I wasn't real sure what to make of it.

xm1u78.png

Anyone who's played for a while knows why this is a terrifying picture. Fantastic world, wish I took a pic of my main fortress (yet another iteration of Fortress OMAHA). Deleted world upon death. Self-imposed rule I made.

hs585e.png

See that alcove a few blocks behind that there Enderman? That's where my starter shelter was this particular world. THIS WAS MY FIRST BLANKING DAY IN THE WORLD.

2q20c3a.png

LET IT GO! LET IT GOOOOO! I AM ONE WITH THE WIND AND SKY!

oqdhg8.png

D'awwww my first chunk error!

2l95lir.png

COME AT ME BRO! DO YOU EVEN LIFT?

More Minecraft musings...

My intent has gone from building in Minecraft to envisioning mobs and other items in Minecraft. I am building voxel models for Minecraft mostly as a means of brainstorming as well as actually envisioning setting up my own mobs. I was somewhat inspired to model mobs after seeing a mob package for Minecraft called OreSpawn. For some reason, I seem more compelled to design robots and various mechs. I designed my first ever robot of any kind using the MagicaVoxel program. I later had a serious vision- if anyone has ever created Golems or the Wither, I had my own vision of designing a major mech suit by carefully building up a mob from various items. Actually, I even have had planned mobs of creatures and humans in addition to mechanical mobs. I have even taken some inspiration from the Final Fantasy series and the very first Quake. Other ideas include mobs to simply bring life to various locales in my Minecraft worlds and even envisioning boss-type characters. But no matter how much I think about designing mobs, I still will need to learn how to program and implement any sort of mob into Minecraft and bring life to them.

The other night and speaking of OreSpawn, I saw a video where a number of Minecrafters tried to take down one of OreSpawn's greatest foes- Mobzilla. I have never fought the Ender Dragon or the Wither in my Minecraft experience, but I am sure Mobzilla is multiple times tougher than perhaps the Ender Dragon and Wither combined. That same mod package has two beasts even more powerful than Mobzilla.

One of the coolest things about Minecraft is just how much people seek inspiration and ideas to expand upon Minecraft and actually bring those ideas to life. There are no shortage of ideas on how to make a game with endless potential even more so. I credit the Minecraft community here as well as the ability to continually look for new ways to enhance the Minecraft experience. Hardly anything seems old or seems like it's been done before when it comes to Minecraft and its various mods.

If there is ever a "Minecraft 2" (hypothetical name), my inclination is probably that a [hypothetical] MC2 would probably be a bit less whimsical looking while expanding upon the general Minecraft experience. Let's maybe say it keeps the blocky and voxel-like look and feel, but look a bit more realistic and offer some more incredible effects. The only challenge is that most sequels may not always be as good as the original. How can you make Minecraft better without deviating too much from the original? I think I heard there would be a Minecraft 2, but I am not sure if it would be as successful as the original.

With a game like Minecraft, I don't think you can really create a sequel. It doesn't need a sequel because you can practically do anything in Minecraft with mods.

I saw a few videos regarding this story-driven Minecraft. The majority of thoughts on this deal is somewhere along the lines of offering a new experience within the Minecraft realm. I think it could do pretty well. Maybe this Minecraft Story Mode could be to Minecraft what Forza Horizon is to Forza Motorsport- a nice deviation from the norm. Or then again, it could be a brutal disappointment. I am always someone who tries to be positive and give things a chance, and I do see some promise with Minecraft Story Mode. The real factor here will lie in how much this experience differs from the main appeal and charm of Minecraft. Will it be too much to where this feels like a totally different game apart from Minecraft, or will it be a game that offers an amazing Minecraft experience but in a different way? I am not banking on incredible success with this title, but I do see some promise with it.

As for anything new from me regarding Minecraft, nothing new. I am still mostly envisioning and brainstorming mobs I may one day incorporate into Minecraft.

Wish we knew when the Xbox One was getting the update with the Ocean Monuments, I would love to explore one!
This is the first I have ever heard of Ocean Monuments and after a quick Google search they do look really nice. No idea when or if they are coming to X1.

Doesn't the Minecraft Story mode come out on October 13th? I haven't heard much about it yet.

The game doesn't look promising. That's all I have to say about it.
Telltale games honestly has MANY problems with their games. So I would not set your expectations high at all for this. It is guaranteed to be very buggy and need a lot of patches. Just like their Walking Dead and Game of Thrones games did.

elltale games honestly has MANY problems with their games. So I would not set your expectations high at all for this. It is guaranteed to be very buggy and need a lot of patches. Just like their Walking Dead and Game of Thrones games did.

Well, there you go. Plus, all of the characters look like ones from the crappy 3D animations you see all the time on YouTube.

It is god awful. There is no mining, no crafting. It's just a story animated in a minecraft style which you can make choices for the characters.

It also seems to be written like a cartoon meant for 7 yearolds.

Very very disappointed in it.

It is god awful. There is no mining, no crafting. It's just a story animated in a minecraft style which you can make choices for the characters.

It also seems to be written like a cartoon meant for 7 yearolds.

Very very disappointed in it.

How do you not include things that are in the title of the game?!

This is the first I have ever heard of Ocean Monuments and after a quick Google search they do look really nice. No idea when or if they are coming to X1.

Telltale games honestly has MANY problems with their games. So I would not set your expectations high at all for this. It is guaranteed to be very buggy and need a lot of patches. Just like their Walking Dead and Game of Thrones games did.

One more to cross off the list, which is fine with me, sounds like it will be a bust. The logical question is does Minecraft really need a story mode?

One more to cross off the list, which is fine with me, sounds like it will be a bust. The logical question is does Minecraft really need a story mode?
Good call. Trust me from personal experience with Telltale games, do not ever get their games at launch. I picked up The Walking Dead when they had it on sale for 50% off. Thought to myself this should be great! The concept was indeed great. The save system had massive problems and apparently was well known. I had no idea or I would not have bought the game.

Basically if you didn't play through the ENTIRE series in one sitting, you had the chance of losing your save and having to restart from the VERY beginning episode. On top of that every decision you made effected the next episode. So if you did just say heck with it and just continued with a "pre selected" ending for the previous episode, people you might have let live, would be dead. It was incredibly frustrating. So even to this day, I have never been able to properly play from beginning to end without the save getting corrupt. The most messed up part, that game won GOTY. WUT?!!

I didnt even bother to try the Telltale Game of Thrones and heard it also had major problems. I don't see myself ever buying a Telltale game until they can earn better credibility and some more development time under their belt. Sorry for the rant, just trying to save friends from that frustration.

Good call. Trust me from personal experience with Telltale games, do not ever get their games at launch. I picked up The Walking Dead when they had it on sale for 50% off. Thought to myself this should be great! The concept was indeed great. The save system had massive problems and apparently was well known. I had no idea or I would not have bought the game.

Basically if you didn't play through the ENTIRE series in one sitting, you had the chance of losing your save and having to restart from the VERY beginning episode. On top of that every decision you made effected the next episode. So if you did just say heck with it and just continued with a "pre selected" ending for the previous episode, people you might have let live, would be dead. It was incredibly frustrating. So even to this day, I have never been able to properly play from beginning to end without the save getting corrupt. The most messed up part, that game won GOTY. WUT?!!

I didnt even bother to try the Telltale Game of Thrones and heard it also had major problems. I don't see myself ever buying a Telltale game until they can earn better credibility and some more development time under their belt. Sorry for the rant, just trying to save friends from that frustration.

And I thank you for saving me the time and money. I have enough to play as it is already and minecraft is already fun as it is. I just played it last night, been mixing it with FM6 lately. I really do hope they keep updating this game, would love to explore the Ocean Monuments.

And I thank you for saving me the time and money. I have enough to play as it is already and minecraft is already fun as it is. I just played it last night, been mixing it with FM6 lately. I really do hope they keep updating this game, would love to explore the Ocean Monuments.
I have been playing it quite a bit lately too. Decided to start going for some of the achievements just for the fun of it. I have 1 left to deflect a shot back at a ghast. I also picked up the Greek Mythology pack recently and have been enjoying it. Started a brand new world on the hardest difficulty. Forgot how fun and intense MC is on hard.

Minecraft doesn't need a story mode, because you make your own story. With this Telltale crap, you're playing someone else's story, not yours.

Back