Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
PS4 recently got the Aquatic update & it's added a lot of awesome stuff that all the other systems seem to have been enjoying for a bit now. The addition of Drowned Zombies & Phantoms has been pretty fun, I've had to up the security at my base a bit with enemies able to swoop down from the sky or spawn underwater in the daytime & roam around. However, I do miss how far I could see underwater with an enchanted helmet (respiration enchantment I believe). I have built a conduit underground that automatically gives me nightvision underwater but I still can't see very far while actually underwater. I haven't found anything and I'm assuming this is simply the way it is now, but I was just curious if anyone has knows any method for regaining visibility similar to before the update.

Here's a slightly more advanced version of my 'Waterwall' house that I made last night...

It turns out that animals do get lifted up by the water in the walls but thus far I haven't seen anything actually pass through, even with a single block ditch.

In theory, you could make a water wall house with just one type of block, and use far fewer blocks than normal - plus, water is readily available and transparent, so you could build a huge house even in Survival Mode pretty fast, presuming you have a bucket handy!

Not sure how much time you have on your hands.. but I'm curious if a water escalator could be built by staggering the water source blocks and placing static blocks at the proper heights to keep animals from dropping?

PS4 recently got the Aquatic update & it's added a lot of awesome stuff that all the other systems seem to have been enjoying for a bit now. The addition of Drowned Zombies & Phantoms has been pretty fun, I've had to up the security at my base a bit with enemies able to swoop down from the sky or spawn underwater in the daytime & roam around. However, I do miss how far I could see underwater with an enchanted helmet (respiration enchantment I believe). I have built a conduit underground that automatically gives me nightvision underwater but I still can't see very far while actually underwater. I haven't found anything and I'm assuming this is simply the way it is now, but I was just curious if anyone has knows any method for regaining visibility similar to before the update.

Those views now on PS4 are amazing, right?? Aquatic update changed a lot of the mechanics that were used to... I can only suggest looking to see if the rendering distance can be changed in the settings. Or find a way to place sources of light to help with seeing a little further.

I just installed the Stoneblock modpack to play around in and see how long it'll take to complete it. I gained interest after watching CaptainSparklez and X33N play it.

I get a lot of delayed loading or pop-in when traveling around my world quickly, either flying with the Elytra, riding the minecart or flying in creative. I assume it's normal in general or at least on an older save with lots of things built (PS4 version btw). I recently had my computer at work upgraded to a SSD drive and things seem to load much faster in general. It got me wondering if switching the PS4 drive to a SSD would speed up the world loading as I travel around. Not sure if it would even effect loading or if thats more of a processor thing or if I'm just wrong all-together. Just curious if anyone had any experience with this or any ideas that might speed up world loading. The game is not unplayable or anything, the upgrade at work just got me thinking.

I get a lot of delayed loading or pop-in when traveling around my world quickly, either flying with the Elytra, riding the minecart or flying in creative. I assume it's normal in general or at least on an older save with lots of things built (PS4 version btw). I recently had my computer at work upgraded to a SSD drive and things seem to load much faster in general. It got me wondering if switching the PS4 drive to a SSD would speed up the world loading as I travel around. Not sure if it would even effect loading or if thats more of a processor thing or if I'm just wrong all-together. Just curious if anyone had any experience with this or any ideas that might speed up world loading. The game is not unplayable or anything, the upgrade at work just got me thinking.
It would. As you are moving distances like that, chunks are either being built as you move through them (in this case, RAM and proc speeds are important) or, if it's areas you have alway been, being pulled from the world data fille of a hard drive and into RAM. Since the code and assets to build chunks are stored on disk, having an ssd also helps to build chunks faster.

It would. As you are moving distances like that, chunks are either being built as you move through them (in this case, RAM and proc speeds are important) or, if it's areas you have alway been, being pulled from the world data fille of a hard drive and into RAM. Since the code and assets to build chunks are stored on disk, having an ssd also helps to build chunks faster.

Awesome, thank you. Glad to hear it should help. My world is 3 maps x 3 maps, all explored, so this could make a big difference.

It definitely will. Be sure you back up everything before swapping drives.
Just follow this guide, it'll get you squared when you are ready to swap.

I had a glitch pop up in my save over the weekend. Sorry for the long ramble as I try to explain (this is PS4 version btw). I was building a new base that is a giant jungle tree that goes to max altitude. The trunk is 16 blocks and so I made 16x16 boxes for the leaves so the giant tree would still look like the blocky minecraft tree, with the interior area of the boxes being hollow. At some places inside the hollow area I would get a lighting glitch where the area would be unusually dark. My hand on screen would be dark as if in shadow and some of the walls/areas would be dark like this as well. When I placed a block near this area it would light up, then I would delete the block. Looking around online there seem to be at least one, if not several glitches like this. From what I can tell it might have to do with open air not keeping track of blocks or lighting details since the sky is so empty. I am considering rebuilding the base anyway in a slightly different design and I can go back a few saves to before I made the tree to start over and I’m wondering if there is anyway to avoid the glitch from occuring again as I rebuild. Would building a frame with glowstone blocks cast light in the area first and possibly avoid these glitches? Are the glitches random? Or are they just trouble spots that are going to glitch anyway? Or I could just not understand and be wrong altogether. Just curious if anyone had thoughts or has had similar experiences before I potentially rebuild the base.

At some places inside the hollow area I would get a lighting glitch where the area would be unusually dark. My hand on screen would be dark as if in shadow and some of the walls/areas would be dark like this as well. When I placed a block near this area it would light up, then I would delete the block. Looking around online there seem to be at least one, if not several glitches like this. From what I can tell it might have to do with open air not keeping track of blocks or lighting details since the sky is so empty. ... Are the glitches random? Or are they just trouble spots that are going to glitch anyway? Or I could just not understand and be wrong altogether. Just curious if anyone had thoughts or has had similar experiences before I potentially rebuild the base.
I've actually encountered this bug numerous times, but on the Java Edition. On some of my superflat city worlds I would get those exact lighting glitches. Usually when I force update the chunk (placing/breaking a block) it goes away, but comes back if it unloads and loads back in. Putting a light block in the affected chunk seems to alleviate this behavior. I haven't had it happen to me in a while, but that's on the Java Edition. From what I could tell, it was fairly random; sometimes they would fix themselves after staring at them for a few seconds.

I've actually encountered this bug numerous times, but on the Java Edition. On some of my superflat city worlds I would get those exact lighting glitches. Usually when I force update the chunk (placing/breaking a block) it goes away, but comes back if it unloads and loads back in. Putting a light block in the affected chunk seems to alleviate this behavior. I haven't had it happen to me in a while, but that's on the Java Edition. From what I could tell, it was fairly random; sometimes they would fix themselves after staring at them for a few seconds.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to rebuild the base and hopefully I'll avoid or at least get less of these glitches, as well as light the interior better overall. I just made it up as I went along, but I think I want to start with more of a frame this time so it comes out better. I also had a few open walls that ended up being fun to fly the Elytra through that I can better incorporate this time.

I’ve got a couple map related questions about the PS4 version. I started my current world on PS3 and imported that world into the PS4 version. Originally I had expanded the PS3 world to the large size (5 maps x 5 maps). I did this a few times, and each time shortly after exploring all the maps & having the massize 5x5 world area filled in the game save would get corrupted. I tried this 2 or 3 times, each save getting corrupted after being fully explored, then re-import the PS3 world, re-expand and try again. I settled on the medium size (3x3) which has not had a corruption problem. I now also save a copy of my game every time I play so I can go back to older saves if a problem comes up. Does anyone playing on the PS4 version use the large (5x5maps) size and if so have you had any problems with using that size? I guess I’m looking for reassurance that others have had luck with the large world size before I try again, it was frustrating having a few weeks worth of progress disappear.

I am getting tempted to try expanding the map to the larger size again, which would give me 16 new maps to explore, and these would generate new terrain using newer biomes that weren’t in the game before (for example my world is from long before the aquatic update so none of my map has coral or deep ocean, I don’t have Mesa anywhere, etc.). I’m wondering how the ramdom generation works. If I expand from my current save, explore and don’t find the mix I want (no Mesa for example), if I go back to my current save and expand it again will I get the same terrain or will it be different from what generated the previous time? I’d like to end up with some biomes I don’t have yet as well as some more extreme mountain areas and assuming that the new terrain is different each time I can try it a few times to get a mix I’m happy with.

Sorry if this is confusing or poorly worded. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm only on PlayStation. I have imported a world from PS3 to PS4 however I didn't alter the world size so it was still the original small world. Since then I've made about 5 or 6 new PS4 5×5 maps and never had an issue with the game corrupting due to exploration. I'm in fact in the process of trying to fill in the full 25 maps to do a map wall. All maps have been activated and about 7/8 fully explored but again no issues .

I dusted off my PlayStation 3 and even downloaded some updates for Minecraft PS3. Among the different changes, I noted mostly underwater stuff. I haven't fully played through everything, but I was very much still tickled pink about how Minecraft remains a lovely game even in its pixelated form with voxel-style models. I thought it was cute seeing the dolphins and stuff in this game. I have yet to do any hardcore water stuff in today's Minecraft.

Minecraft has mostly been forgotten in this age of PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds and Fortnite (especially Fortnite), but I still find Minecraft to be enjoyable and playable. Minecraft has changed a great deal over the years but remains a fine game to play.

I must admit the newer additions to Minecraft make it a bit more fun. This increased concentration on underwater elements actually has me more interested in underwater exploration more than ever. So I have basically been using the newer Tutorial world in Minecraft PS3 (nowadays referred to as the "Legacy Console Edition" of Minecraft) to explore the world while also looking through the underwater zones. A big help when going underwater is when you get or craft that helmet made from Scute. You get that extra 10 seconds of underwater breathing. A few extra enchanted armor pieces can help you breathe longer. Unfortunately, you are now not even safe going underwater anymore! Now you see zombies underwater attacking you whether with their bare hands or with any of those tridents being thrown at you. I guess Minecraft had to keep the underwater scene to be interesting. In addition to underwater adventures, still on my bucket list is to actually go to one of those Ocean Monuments and (most importantly) defeat the underwater Guardians. The biggest incentive to getting into Ocean Monuments is in getting Gold Blocks and Sponges from what I've seen.

Curiously one evening in the Minecraft world, I encountered the Phantom. It is this winged creature that supposedly attacks you when you haven't slept recently or something. There is still a lot that I am trying to get accustomed to with all the different changes to Minecraft.

In my most recent sessions with PS3 Minecraft, I finally defeated my first Guardian. I have yet to defeat an Elder Guardian. If you don't know what I mean, I am referring to the Guardians of Ocean Monuments. Though risky, I had relative success attacking with a bow and arrow more than trying to attack with a sword. One thing I noted when you approach an Ocean Monument, you get hit with the Mining Fatigue spell. And man... that's four minutes of getting screwed! I am not adept at brewing or enchanting, but this will make it that much tougher to try to mine through an Ocean Monument or any other locale.

I noticed in the latest Tutorial world that there is a wooden mansion you can explore. The place is lit fairly well, but I put in more torches since it can be tricky wondering there is some monster lurking in the darkness. I was wondering where else I could enter the mansion once I thought I explored everything. What I ended up doing was going to the top floor and breaking through the glass panes (and part of a roof) to reach a part of the mansion I thought was inaccessible. That's where I encountered the Evoker. There was some entity that sounded like an NPC Villager, but I kind of snuck up on and killed the Evoker easily. But when I saw a YouTube video on the Evoker, that Evoker can be MUCH worse with offense. I'm glad I didn't get the full brunt of what the Evoker is capable of!

In all of my Minecraft experience, still on my bucket list is to visit The End. I've been to The Nether several times, but never reached The End. I have also never (obviously) battled The EnderDragon. The closest I've ever gotten to The End was finding an End Portal. However, I never defeated enough Endermen to have all of the Ender Pearls needed to access The End.

I am kind of wondering what causes PS3 Minecraft to crash. Something I noticed is that Minecraft and my PS3 would crash if I am standing around a Bed, a Crafting Table, a Furnace, or a Chest. Not sure what exactly is causing this. However, it's one thing I've noticed. Other than that, I am still enjoying the Minecraft experience on console. Really, I play Minecraft more on console for the Survival experience while playing the PC/Java version mostly for the Creative experience.

Since I usually make voxel models, I have become interested in making more Schematics to quickly build certain buildings and even to create more complex models easily. It can be a lot of work and can take some time to build certain things cold turkey in Minecraft. Schematics make things easier to plop certain structures and such into Minecraft. I am still kind of re-learning after using PC Minecraft a lot.

PS4 Minecraft is on sale for $2.50 and the file size is 225 MB. How can I say no to that?

It will also be fun to play it with my 13 year old son again. I don't think we have built or explored in Minecraft since he was maybe 7 or 8.

Wow. Really, Dylan? Do you all remember when Minecraft was that quirky little independent (or "indie") game that was better than a lot of the AAA-type games? Well before Fortnite, there was Minecraft. I haven't played Minecraft lately, but I still find some enjoyment in playing it.

Wow. Really, Dylan? Do you all remember when Minecraft was that quirky little independent (or "indie") game that was better than a lot of the AAA-type games? Well before Fortnite, there was Minecraft. I haven't played Minecraft lately, but I still find some enjoyment in playing it.
They even released the Classic version on the launcher. How's THAT for throwback?

Latest Posts

Back