Mission 11 - New York Toyota GT2000

• Thread starter Swift
  • 169 comments
The best way to win this is to use a headset on your TV/Game and turn up the volume. Make sure you have as little tire screech as you possibly can throughout the entire race.

I just wanted to post that I finally beat this. I decided I was going to try and beat some of the missions I had left 2 nights ago and managed to beat this by about 2.2 seconds after I realized when I should be braking which was key.
I'm glad I got this one done and a few other hard ones, now all I have left is 34.

Not as hard as most people think in my opinion. Didn't take long for me.

All you really need to do on the straights is to hold on to R2. And the corner speeds are nice enough. I brake a bit later than the timer to go faster, but that should be recommended.

My victory margin was 0.675 seconds.

yeah, didn't bother me much either. for the 90 degree corners brake early down to 45 or so and get back on the power waaay before you hit apex. take the 270 at 40-45 the whole way then hit the gas nice and early to come out at 55-60 (remembering the circle license tests in gt3 helped me a lot with that corner). for the final hairpin brake early so you can get back on the power early - i was generally back on the power before I finished getting through the first apex. you really need to carry speed onto the home straight. won this on my third try.

Some time ago (several weeks) I won this with the DS2 and my time was 6'43.xxx - some days ago I won it with the DFP, 6'42.xxx. Several small mistakes, PAL version, manual gears. :cheers:

The only tip I can give is to make a run, see if it's fast enough. If not, push harder next time, no matter if you hit the walls as you can always restart. If this still isn't enough, begin trying weird things like odd lines or even going to 2nd gear corners in the 3rd gear. You may be able to do that in a few places. The car seems to have a horrible handling, but that's an illusion in a way - it has good grip, much better than you may think. And, the most important thing, never use the first gear even in the slowest hairpin.

- R -

The key in Mission 11 is taking wide enough turns so that you can go straight through the corners, and of course, consistency. Lose enough speed at one point and that basically means you have start off. Unfortunately, some parts of the course are so narrow that that is tough to accomplish, so the only advice I can really give to you is the fact that you really need to worry about the corners because the car has very poor power (especially in second gear as mentioned) so get as much out of it as you can. Good luck to those who haven't completed it yet.

This is indeed a frustrating mission.
Just finished my 6th run attempt which I thought was going very well but still finished 0.468 seconds behind :indiff:
Just got to find faster driving lines..

I did this one today. After losing by 0.00'104 I won the next time by 1.5 seconds. Took me a few attempts, but the idea is to break early and as light as possible, instead of late and heavy. The important splits I aimed for were 26.xxx after the first split, 19.0xx after the first lap, 8.5xx after the second lap, and that should be good enought to win comfortably.

I tried this mission about 20-25 times, and the best I did was 0.09 seconds
behind. This is probably the most frustrating mission I ever tried.

juniordee
I tried this mission about 20-25 times, and the best I did was 0.09 seconds
behind. This is probably the most frustrating mission I ever tried.

That's normal :)

M11 and M34 are notoriously frustration-inducing.

im try'n very hard to win m11 but i cant, i have got'n within 2secs. The first right corner after the fountain is the killer if i get in fast i came out side ways and slow to 32' then its slow through that set of corners if i go in slow i cant accelerate.

Where I overtaken.

AI 1 - Square Left before the strech before the home strech.
AI 2 - Half way between the circle corner and square right.
AI 3 - Strech of road before the right hairpin at the end
AI 4 - Entering the right hairpin.
AI 5 - Exiting the right hairpin.

I used the manual gears on this one;

Also, I tried not to brake too late to go in the corners at a staidy speed, don't go in too fast 'cus you'll be losing losts of speed in the corner which also gives you a terrible line.

I always pass the Mazda on the final strait, I finish maybe half a second to a second in front of it 👍

MISSION 11

Here's a map of the circuit for this mission, with the gears listed for each corner, and brake zones in yellow.
mission11.jpg

Keys:
-Be smooth through the section of 90-degree turns. Apex speed should be about 40-45 mph. Do this, and you'll win.
-DO NOT USE 1ST GEAR. The shift from 1st to 2nd will cost you a lot of time.

Disclaimer: This is how I drive the mission. I have a conservative, smooth driving style, so your braking tendencies may not match, but it should give you some idea of where to brake, and how much. Throttle-lifts are NOT shown, but it's not hard to figure out when you should lift. The time reference is for the NTSC version only.

Holdenluva001
i found that the first 2 corners was wat made me won coz i took them perfect
Welcome to GTPlanet, but please post in real English words. Many of our members don't use English as their first language - or even second language - and lazy, incorrect spelling like that makes it very difficult to understand.

Plus, it just looks stupid.

I passed M11 today and it was quite easy, it took only 5-7 tries and done! I used "wide" and smooth driving lines as possible but not hitting any walls, smooth braking enough early to get best route to open trottle soon as possible, I learned something about this and I also passed M12, maybe some day M34. ;)

Celtic_Fury
I'd like to slap the programmer who made that mission across the back of his head.

:grumpy:

I second that I HATE this mission I was trying it for 6 hours yesterday and the closest I got was 9 seconds...I dont see where I'm messing up

You're probably overdriving the car pretty heavily. The Toyota in this Mission is very much a momentum car - you want to be very very smooth when driving it. Brake early, and don't slam them on. Coast as you turn in, and feed the power on to accelerate all the way through the turns.

Especially through the 90-degree sections, you really want to enter as wide as possible so you can get a very late apex. This maximizes the amount of time you're on the power leading into each straight, so it maximizes your velocity down each straight.

Draft whenever you have the chance. Also, for the most part, avoid the curbs; you want to just kiss the edging at the apex of each turn.

BMW_M6
I second that I HATE this mission I was trying it for 6 hours yesterday and the closest I got was 9 seconds...I dont see where I'm messing up

Brake earlier. Exit speed is 1.4 billion times more important than braking deep. People tend to want to brake at the last possible instant to keep as much speed into a corner as they can. This is wrong.

Late braking is not the fast way through a turn, it's the way to pass another car at a turn. When you brake too late, you lose your line and end up with a lower corner speed and lower exit speed, which is speed you've lost for the whole straight following. The only reason it works when "outbraking" to pass is that you force the opponent into an even worse line. By yourself, early braking, proper apex, and good exit speed. This car at this track requires you to keep up the momentum. If it drifts, you've lost time.

:guilty: thanks for trying to help guys but none of that helped I did exactly what you said and still couldnt even pass the 1st car before the end of the long straight (the one after the 90 degree turns) So I'm even sure how I could get past everybody else yesterday...(to end up in second) do I have to complete this driving mission to get 100%?

Yes, you do need it for 100%.

My suggestion is to put it away for a while. Go off and play some other part of the game that's more fun. Frustration will not help you get around the track earlier.

Go back to some of the Beginner Events, and run them with the lowest-power RWD car you can get away with. Keep reducing the power (and increasing the A-spec points) as you win. This will help teach you how to be smooth and utilize momentum, and it will help you be a better driver. Also, get gold the first couple tiers of license tests. Like them or not, they really teach you how to drive in-game.

But really, if you're frustrated, move away for a bit and come back. You may find that in itself helps.

Thanks duke I'm taking your advice and not trying it for a while, and to make sure I couldn't try it I entered the nurb 24 hours...again:dopey: (need a black and silver F1:dopey: )

well I gave it some time and still nothing did really bad so I got out the old action replay max and just made it do missions 11-34

I tried it last night and drove me nuts. I couldn't get closer then 2 - 3 seconds. Grrr .. Will try again today with the tips I read here.

Yeah the tips and pointers give in these forums help emencly.
as do the videos for each if not all the missions all i did was watch the video through 2 or 3 times to see what sort of speeds and positions you need to be in for each turns. then i tried to copy it best i could and managed to beat it after 4 or 5 attempts after watching the video wasn't a great win only managed to pass the 110 right before the line and got a time of 0.318 but its a win all the same :sly:

and then pretty much did the same for all the other missons barring 34 as im still trying to beat it !

Back