Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,369 comments
Hard to see much fault in this other than '4 into 1 doesn't go'. HIR maybe came left a bit, but he was rapidly running out of pavement as the track narrowed.

Has your racing series used the Wienermobile as a pace car? I don’t think so. :lol:
This was from back in August at Pikes Peak International Raceway at the Gridlife Apline Horizon Fest.
EDF27E42-4B05-47FB-BAC1-43BEF218EB15.jpeg

Roo
Something I came across recently from a podcast. This will be old news to some.

Mark Martin is leading the 1994 Goody's 250 at Bristol entering the final lap whilst under caution. All he has to do to win is complete the last half mile at pace car speed:

(Interview with Martin starts at 5.49)

Green went on to win the championship that year. It was his only win that season.

When it comes to drivers doing premature celebrations, two incidents in particular stand out in my mind. The first is Nigel Mansell in the 1991 Grand Prix of Canada.

From Wikipedia:
"On the last lap, Mansell led from Piquet, Modena, Patrese, de Cesaris, and Gachot when he suddenly slowed to a halt at the hairpin. There were rumours that Mansell had failed to change gear for the hairpin and stalled the car, or that he had turned off the engine accidentally while waving to the crowd during the final lap. Mansell denied this, saying that the gearbox had gone into neutral as he shifted down, and Williams said that the car had suffered an electrical failure. This is technically true, but was induced by Mansell failing to keep the revs sufficiently high on the engine to drive the electrical and hydraulic systems, thus causing the gearbox barrel to get stuck. When the car was returned to the pits, the engine was re-fired and the gearbox worked perfectly."

The Second involves Bjorn Werdheim at the 2003 Monaco F3000 Support Race:

This one's pretty self-explanitory.

Roo
Was that the one where he nearly goes sideways into a narrow gate, but straightens up just in time?

Yeah. The navigator goes "Oh...." and then "...dear god!" as they slide through!

Back