MSN 1.5hr Manufacturer's Endurance Race Series

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rinsky
  • 4,613 comments
  • 277,770 views
Yes you can go into the pits but don't select your tire compound or leave your car.
I've always done it that way but I find others don't like for people to do that in there leagues. Probably because to many mistakes happen when people do that and one reason would be you can't chat when sitting there like that.
So most people just pull off the track and sit somewhere until the race starts. It's up to you.

The tire wear is set at X6 for the race and I can get between 12 & 13 laps on tires and fuel so at X12 for qualifying everyone should be able to get in around 3 laps not including your OutLap.
The qualifying Settings will change from class to class and probably from race to race depending on the location. So if everyone feels that the qualifying settings are to extreme then we will adjust them accordingly.

Hopefully everyone understands what I'm trying to accomplish here by putting the pressure on everyone to run a very good qualifying lap with very little time to get it done.
I think it adds to the challenge and its something most other leagues don't do.. but if everyone is against this approach then I'm open to all feedback on the issue.


I would like 1 lap qualifying which is almost what we have with the high tire wear rather than just keep running laps until you have a good lap.
 
Just my two cents, but I feel like qualifying is meant to be the purest representation of how fast you can go. There's no need add pressure with tire wear. Let us drive the car to it's full potential to get the best representation of what we're capable of.

I know this is only a game but that's definitely not how it goes in real racing or at least not the races I watch. Qualifying in it's self is a challenge to see how fast one can go in a short period. One mistake or misjudgment can cost you a prime starting position on the grid and you will see the best drivers in the real world fall victim to this very challenge at times.
So by allowing everyone to run as fast as they can go for the whole qualifying session only insures that the fastest driver's will always get the top spots every race.
We all make mistakes and the more talented drivers make them less often so by putting pressure on everyone during qualifying only Intensifies the process and increases the chances of mistakes from every driver.
The difference between 1st & 16th after one lap can be around 10 seconds and in a strong field that can be a lot of ground to make up if your qualifying position is not ideal.
I decided awhile back not to award points for pole position or fastest lap because qualifying alone was going to be enough of a challenge without adding to it.
Everyone will then have 1.5hr to show what their capabilities are.


I personally like the idea @Rinsky, eliminating pit during qualifying helps the host more than you think

I would like 1 lap qualifying which is almost what we have with the high tire wear rather than just keep running laps until you have a good lap.

I'm glad to see a few people are up for the challenge.
I don't feel anything is unfair by doing qualifying this way. It makes things more difficult as a driver is all. I'm in the same boat as everyone else so I would also greatly benefit from qualifying if there was no increased tire wear.
 
We all make mistakes and the more talented drivers make them less often so by putting pressure on everyone during qualifying only Intensifies the process and increases the chances of mistakes from every driver.
So you're doing this for an increased chance at something to happen, not even a guarantee. Seems a bit fanciful. The more talented drivers will still just not make mistakes and have fast lap times. That's gonna happen no matter what. It's not gonna keep me from racing, just saying what I think.
 
No I'm doing this because your starting position is one of the most important parts of racing and it will dictate the battle you have ahead of you and it shouldn't be free for all easy. The increase in something happening just comes with the territory when your limited on laps and pushing yourself to the limit.
 
I know this is only a game but that's definitely not how it goes in real racing or at least not the races I watch. Qualifying in it's self is a challenge to see how fast one can go in a short period. One mistake or misjudgment can cost you a prime starting position on the grid and you will see the best drivers in the real world fall victim to this very challenge at times.
So by allowing everyone to run as fast as they can go for the whole qualifying session only insures that the fastest driver's will always get the top spots every race.
We all make mistakes and the more talented drivers make them less often so by putting pressure on everyone during qualifying only Intensifies the process and increases the chances of mistakes from every driver.
The difference between 1st & 16th after one lap can be around 10 seconds and in a strong field that can be a lot of ground to make up if your qualifying position is not ideal.
I decided awhile back not to award points for pole position or fastest lap because qualifying alone was going to be enough of a challenge without adding to it.
Everyone will then have 1.5hr to show what their capabilities are.






I'm glad to see a few people are up for the challenge.
I don't feel anything is unfair by doing qualifying this way. It makes things more difficult as a driver is all. I'm in the same boat as everyone else so I would also greatly benefit from qualifying if there was no increased tire wear.

Except in real life fast laps usually come at the end of the session, not the beginning, because cars can manage to run a short session without a significant drop off in pace. Everyone gets pushed to go faster as more times are set and the fuel load gets lighter.

If you want it to be one lap, just reset the lobby and give everyone 5 minutes to get on track and set one timed lap and park at the end of sector 1, it’s not that hard to organize. As it is it’s just a waste of 10 minutes if you’re only actually using 3 of them. That’s what they did in the FIA races and so far it’s been working great. I support it, just don’t think the way it’s set up now is the way to do it
 
Last edited:
Except in real life fast laps usually come at the end of the session, not the beginning, because cars can manage to run a short session without a significant drop off in pace. Everyone gets pushed to go faster as more times are set and the fuel load gets lighter.

If you want it to be one lap, just reset the lobby and give everyone 5 minutes to get on track and set one timed lap and park at the end of sector 1, it’s not that hard to organize. As it is it’s just a waste of 10 minutes if you’re only actually using 3 of them. That’s what they did in the FIA races and so far it’s been working great. I support it, just don’t think the way it’s set up now is the way to do it

So you would rather have all 16 people on the track at once in a 5 minute qualifying session and risk having the high probability of people running over top of one another rather than a 10 minute qualifier where 8 players take the first 5 minutes of qualifying and then the last 8 players take the last 5 minutes of qualifying.
Sorry I just don't understand the logic as to why anyone would want that much congestion on the track all at once during qualifying.

Everyone will get more than one lap of qualifying in at x12 tire wear.
I run in ARL's Gr.3 Series at x14 tire wear and I get more than one good lap of qualifying out of a set of RS tires.
 
So you would rather have all 16 people on the track at once in a 5 minute qualifying session and risk having the high probability of people running over top of one another rather than a 10 minute qualifier where 8 players take the first 5 minutes of qualifying and then the last 8 players take the last 5 minutes of qualifying.
Sorry I just don't understand the logic as to why anyone would want that much congestion on the track all at once during qualifying.

Everyone will get more than one lap of qualifying in at x12 tire wear.
I run in ARL's Gr.3 Series at x14 tire wear and I get more than one good lap of qualifying out of a set of RS tires.
With those multipliers you should get anywhere between 5 and 8 laps depending on the track. Should be plenty of tire left after a hot lap to do 2 more easy
 
No I'm doing this because your starting position is one of the most important parts of racing and it will dictate the battle you have ahead of you and it shouldn't be free for all easy. The increase in something happening just comes with the territory when your limited on laps and pushing yourself to the limit.
Qualifying procedures for most sports car series are usually free for all sessions. Because multiple cars are allowed on track at once. They can unintentionally interrupt each others lap times. So they are giving time to try to find a clean uninterrupted lap.

There are series that qualifying like you said but, this is done with single car qualifying time trials. Teams are given special super soft tires that will only provide maximum grip for a few laps. And are allowed on track one at a time. Sometimes more than car but, spaced out for longer tracks.

If you want to go the time trial method we can do that but, it is more time consuming than allowing everyone on track in a free for all session. That why a lot of series of stop this way of qualifying. And because time trial qualifying can be boring for the fans.
 
Being the new guy to the group and knowing very little about how GTS works in this format this may seem unreasonable.

It is my understanding that the host of the room can pick the starting order. With that being said qualifying can be a separate event. It involves more work and should be done the day before the race.

A designated time players get together and run 1 or 2 laps for time. The host takes these times down and posts them here.

You won't know until everyone is done where you start. Then race day host sets start based on the times.

If your fast enough to win the race but have a bad q run at race time starting mid pack forces you to drive harder to make it to the lead. Burning off tires and fuel. Verses a good q run for pole you can run just fast enough to built a gap and go into conserve mode for fuel and tires.

Just my 2 cents. And again I am not very experienced in this games mechanics or on line play so it may or may not be feasible.

Paul.
 
Ya know what I say just on out there and send it.

This is one of my favorite videos the commentary is by far the beat especially at the end of it. This kids goes and and just sends it, I watched a a bunch of other runs from people that day and he was on another level. Sometimes it pays to throw caution into the wind and just send it...no matter what the qually rules maybe we will all be there to send it...

 
Being the new guy to the group and knowing very little about how GTS works in this format this may seem unreasonable.

It is my understanding that the host of the room can pick the starting order. With that being said qualifying can be a separate event. It involves more work and should be done the day before the race.

A designated time players get together and run 1 or 2 laps for time. The host takes these times down and posts them here.

You won't know until everyone is done where you start. Then race day host sets start based on the times.

If your fast enough to win the race but have a bad q run at race time starting mid pack forces you to drive harder to make it to the lead. Burning off tires and fuel. Verses a good q run for pole you can run just fast enough to built a gap and go into conserve mode for fuel and tires.

Just my 2 cents. And again I am not very experienced in this games mechanics or on line play so it may or may not be feasible.

Paul.
This would work if everyone involved was available the day before. Some people have lives and work or just can’t get on a video game the day before.
In a perfect world yes I would agree with you. It would be nice. But everyone Racing comes from all kinds of backgrounds of life.



moving on, I think the Qualifying procedure is fine and it’s @Rinsky league. Like mentioned above.
Get in your damn car (rig) sit down shut up and drive the wheels off of it. It’s an hour and a half race and we’re all *itching about a 10 minute qualifying session. Yea I would agree qualifying is important, but this is the rules that have been set in place and I think it’s good for the league!
 
This would work if everyone involved was available the day before. Some people have lives and work or just can’t get on a video game the day before.
In a perfect world yes I would agree with you. It would be nice. But everyone Racing comes from all kinds of backgrounds of life.



moving on, I think the Qualifying procedure is fine and it’s @Rinsky league. Like mentioned above.
Get in your damn car (rig) sit down shut up and drive the wheels off of it. It’s an hour and a half race and we’re all *itching about a 10 minute qualifying session. Yea I would agree qualifying is important, but this is the rules that have been set in place and I think it’s good for the league!

Jesus christ , calm down dude :scared:
 
I really appreciate this more than you will ever know.
I will wait until this busy weekend comes to an end before I start asking questions and putting step one into place.. again I'm not in a hurry or a rush to implement a second lobby because I want to take my time so everything is done correctly.

Thanks again for the kind offer... you guys are just awesome and it's easy to see why ARL has become so popular in a very short amount of time. Very few leagues go so in depth for their members like you guys do.
@Rinsky you can count on me to help support, assist and do whatever you may need when the time comes. I echo @TexasJDC and @Jw_wk1010 comments my friend
 
I want F1 style qualifying. Advancing a round would make me feel good before I screw up in the race.
 
It would be nice to dedicate an extra day to do qualifying but like others have said most people on here stay very busy to even attempt this route.
So setting up qualifying for 10 minutes seems to be the normal way most leagues go about it but there are many different ways to run qualifying in that 10 minutes and it varies from one league to another.

My goal is to let the first 8 people in the lobby go out and qualify for the first 5 minutes or so and with the tire wear set at x12 it keeps it near the 5 minute mark before your tires are no longer working for qualifying. Those people will pull off the track and the rest of the lobby will go out for the last 5 minutes of qualifying. I have the lobby set to run a few minutes over the 10 minute just so everyone has a fair amount of time qualifying.

This is as organized as I can make it in 10 minutes of time without over crowding the track for qualifying.

I tested every Gr.4 car out last night at x12 tire wear and it was absolutely no problem what so ever to get 3 good laps of qualifying in and that's not counting the OutLap.
If I can't get a good qualifying time in 3 laps then I'm never going to no matter how many laps I run.
 
Seems fair to me. With the tight schedule you're working with it should ensure the races get started on time and everyone has an equal amount of time to qualify with the least amount of traffic on track.
 
I was just looking through the first post and a few things need changing. IRS is from 8:30-11:00 and damonc84 is one of our BOD, he's just a little less active but has a series coming out soon for Friday nights.
 
DP, how are you able to race in this series if IRL has moved their lobby times up this season?
I may be mistaken, but I thought MSN moved up 30 minutes to accomodate the IRL members on Saturday’s so we’d be done by 9pm
 
I was just looking through the first post and a few things need changing. IRS is from 8:30-11:00 and damonc84 is one of our BOD, he's just a Hold on a minute. This is the message you sent me about those start times soon for Friday nights.

Hold on a minute. This is the message you sent me about those start times

"Yea you're first and ending at 9pm EST is perfect. My qualifying is from 9:00 to 9:20 so people will have time hop on for a quick lap or two and complete the race. My race will end around 10:30 and then they have plenty of time for ARL. I could even start slightly later if needed on the day of.

This was the whole reason I changed my start time to 30 minutes earlier so none of us would overlap one another. Why did we go through all of this if you were just going to change your time to overlap us once again.

I will add damonc84 to your BOD.
 
I'm just giving you a more accurate representation of our schedule. We open at 8:30 for practice and qualifying starts at 9:00. That quote was when I was doing Renault which was 60 minutes so yea it would end at 10:30, but the Blancpain series is 90 minutes and ends at 11:00, which is fine because that's when ARL qualifying starts and those guys jump in no problem. We've been over this. Nothing is changing.

If needed we can crunch to get the race started about 15 minutes earlier but either way it won't be an issue.
 
I'm just giving you a more accurate representation of our schedule. We open at 8:30 for practice and qualifying starts at 9:00. That quote was when I was doing Renault which was 60 minutes so yea it would end at 10:30, but the Blancpain series is 90 minutes and ends at 11:00, which is fine because that's when ARL qualifying starts and those guys jump in no problem. We've been over this. Nothing is changing.

If needed we can crunch to get the race started about 15 minutes earlier but either way it won't be an issue.


So how are you going to open the blancpain lobby at 8:30 while you're driving in this series?
 
I'm just giving you a more accurate representation of our schedule. We open at 8:30 for practice and qualifying starts at 9:00. That quote was when I was doing Renault which was 60 minutes so yea it would end at 10:30, but the Blancpain series is 90 minutes and ends at 11:00, which is fine because that's when ARL qualifying starts and those guys jump in no problem. We've been over this. Nothing is changing.

Ok then the 8:30 is the start of practice and not qualifying/race. But our race ends as your qualifying begins and that leaves no buffer zone between the two.
Now I'm very strict on my start time as I'm not know for delaying it at all. This doesn't mean we don't experience problems for time to time.
 
Ah. This is true. I seem to (as usual) have cocked things up a bit. So it's a bit tighter than I thought, but can still work. I allow 20 minutes of qualifying with tire wear off so even if I finish this race, open the lobby at 9:05, everyone gets 10-15 minutes of hot lapping.

The good thing is that it's only once a month so it's not that stressful. Also, tonight is an Exhibition Race with no points so it doesn't really matter. The next one to think about will be in February and I will make sure everyone in my Am Division lobby is prepared for the shorter qualifying session.
 
Ah. This is true. I seem to (as usual) have cocked things up a bit. So it's a bit tighter than I thought, but can still work. I allow 20 minutes of qualifying with tire wear off so even if I finish this race, open the lobby at 9:05, everyone gets 10-15 minutes of hot lapping.

The good thing is that it's only once a month so it's not that stressful. Also, tonight is an Exhibition Race with no points so it doesn't really matter. The next one to think about will be in February and I will make sure everyone in my Am Division lobby is prepared for the shorter qualifying session.

True it is only once a month but don't count on things to always work out in time.
If there is one thing every host should remember is expect the unexpected at all times.
I will always do everything in my power to start on time because I know over half of the players in this Series have somewhere else to be and I don't want to hold anyone up.
 
Series Announcement

A practice lobby will open at 6:30pm EST for anyone interested in practicing before the race.

Just for tonight as a precaution please try to be in the lobby no later than 7:00pm EST I would like to run through everything and address any problems that might arise as this is the first race of the season.

Qualifying will start at 7:20pm sharp ( no exceptions) and the race will end between 9:00pm to 9:05pm
Many of our members are on a tight schedule to make the next race so we must start on time.

If anyone needs to make an incident Report after the race please contact one of following people.
@Rinsky @micantony @Infineon @Cold Warrior
Everyone racing tonight is a veteran player of GTS so hopefully we won't have any problems.


1. RINSKY - McLaren - #70
2. Infineon - Alfa Romeo - #73
3. Micantony - Aston Martin -
4. Cold Warrior - Dodge - #53
5. Jw_wk1010 - Mercedes - #30
6. GTP_Guido - Porsche - #69
7. Herimopp89 - Mercedes - #55
8. Docbrown40 - Lamborghini - #46
9. Fastone371 - Renault Sport - #3
10. Racer283 - Porsche -
11. WhiteFlight1 - Mazda
12. SRT DK Racing - Porsche - #71
13. T5Black - Nissan - #79
14. TexasJDC - Lexus - #197
15. Bloodyboyblue - Subaru - #25
16. Desertpenguin - Toyota - #09
-----------------Reserves-------------------
17. Standard_FV - BMW - #71
18. Bigbeefytaco - Porsche
19. Tall Paul - BMW

@Standard_FV you are in tonight taking @docbrown40 spot.

@bigbeefytaco & @Tall Paul
Please be on your Playstation or GTPLANET incase another spot comes available tonight. But as of now I have received no word that anyone else missing tonight's race but if I have a spot that becomes available you will receive a message from me if you still wish to race.

Let's have fun tonight
​
 
Back