My thoughts on online racing...

Honestly what do you expect? You are asking for it playing London online with pubbies, that circuit is simply not a circuit for multiplayer online to begin with. Unlike city circuits like Monaco, Macau; there are simply no spot to over take in London. Which makes every race there a giant ram fest. Basically it turns GT5 in to burnout.

I only play the Suzuka and FISCO event online, on proper circuits. Only when playing on these "open servers" do I honestly have a problem with their penalty system, which as a mechanism that is designed in place to prevent corner cutting/ramming fails at an epic level. 👍

I simply cannot believe this is all PD can think of, it feels more like something Atari designed; Which by the way TDU had a better anti corner cutting system.

I have said it before, but I think its worthy to say again here.

PD are using this title as a BETA for its online services, the core gameplay is sorted and has been released as a teaser for the full GT5 game release.

The online is the first for this series, so its all new and we are crash test dummies.
Then the BETA still needs major work. PD already used GT4 Online as a test bed for 2,000 Japanese testers to develop an online system.

Once they get their penalty system sorted out and all the other bugs they should also look at implementing some sort of driver rating system that ranks users by how well they drive.... all of us will then have a ranking according to our driving styles: ie: good, bad, rammer, elite etc.... then they can have online races for the catagories and the rammers can be segregated!!!!! hahahaha :)

Now that I've done quite a bit of Fuji GTR online race for supposedly "advance" player, I've come to some interesting conclusions.

1) The online penalty code was outsourced to an unnamed Nigeria company found on one of PD's employee spam emails.

2) The Online code is designed to:
A) Reward corner cutters for their innovative use of runoff road surfaces.
B) Reward rammers for their innovative use of the guy in front as brakes.
C) Punish good drivers for getting in the way of corner cutters when they side swipe you getting back to the circuit.
D) Punish good drivers for exercise judgment and applying proper speed when going into corners.

3) The online penalty code is in place to educate drivers to always think outside the box, or in PD's case outside the circuit.

So, can anyone tell me what else is the penalty system for? Cause it sure is not penalizing people who cut corners and people who consistently ram into people every single corner. Only the people who actually tries to play the game as intended get the penalty.

If that is not epic fail, I don't know what is.

Man you complain about the same thing a lot.

With or without a penalty system online racing is always a crash fest - this is true for every online racing/driving game - get used to it.

Period.

Pickup races always equal crash fest.

Just sit tight and wait for a custom race/private race option from PD in the future.

since this is a :censored:BETA, online racing is a learning experience for PD. without damage and black flags, they have to figure out how to use the penalty system so that its fair for everybody(and they will) starting with a "ramming idioit" system.

victim doesn't receive an off-track penalty for 2.5 seconds and the rammer gets a classic GT4 penalty if theirs a 15MPH difference between the cars.

until then, wait for a private lobby option, an update in the penalty system or dont play it at all

I've had some very good races at Fuji. For some reason I have to start from dead last every time but I quite enjoy the challenge of fighting from the back. At least the Fuji track is quite wide to allow 16 odd cars enough room for error.

Daytona on the other hand is rubbish. It's waaaayyy too easy to poke the nose up the inside of somebody and send them spearing into the wall.

I did expect it to be a crash fest, but I did not expect the penalty system to not work at all.

Not even a little.

By the way, the PD is not experience in online racing talk is just bullcrap. Tell 3 high school kids to come up with a better penalty system, and they can probably do it in a lunch break. As it stands the penalty system in GT5P feels more like a high school project than a piece of code coming from arguably the best console racing game developer.

since this is a :censored:BETA, online racing is a learning experience for PD. without damage and black flags, they have to figure out how to use the penalty system so that its fair for everybody(and they will) starting with a "ramming idioit" system.

victim doesn't receive an off-track penalty for 2.5 seconds and the rammer gets a classic GT4 penalty if theirs a 15MPH difference between the cars.

until then, wait for a private lobby option, an update in the penalty system or dont play it at all

Easy. And it's a full game that's being updated once in a while. Beta testing of GT5 Prologue has been done. GT5 Prologue is not a beta test of GT5 either. If I'm wrong, just show me some proof.

I'm not saying they wont fix it though, cause I know they will.

show proof that gt5 prologue isn't a test platform for gt5?

really its one thing outlining the flaws in a game. and we have a thread for that. yet people go around re-iterating what has already been said and over exaggerating the flaws in a game. really the game can't be that flawed if i can get from last place to at least the top 3 without a single penalty or accident.

What IS FLAWED is a fact that we're connecting to DEDICATED JAPANESE SERVERS from all over the world with our HORRIBLE PING, RUNING game for Japanese players, CAUSING lags with low upload speeds and CREATING mayheim because the whole GT5: Prologue Online should be used only be Asian players at this moment.

Just for info, your ping shold be below 100 for good online experience. So, go to www.speedtest.net and see how LOW your connection perform in ping to Japan. Even if you have high-speed broadband FTTH (optics), you'll probably be amazed how your connection actualy SUCKS when connecting to Japan.

The fact we can actually play it doesn't mean we should expect PERFECT connection when there is 16 player-data that should be collected, received, sent-back, calculated and displayed in 360 frames-per-second which is most likely the speed of GT5 physics. Not to mention that half of Europe and USA have upload speeds so low that Japanese people wouldn't even beleive it is still possible in 21st century.

In other words, when you already have a chance to peeek at cheerleadres showers, do not complain that your peephole is too small.

What IS FLAWED is a fact that we're connecting to DEDICATED JAPANESE SERVERS from all over the world with our HORRIBLE PING, RUNING game for Japanese players, CAUSING lags with low upload speeds and CREATING mayheim because the whole GT5: Prologue Online should be used only be Asian players at this moment.

Just for info, your ping shold be below 100 for good online experience. So, go to www.speedtest.net and see how LOW your connection perform in ping to Japan. Even if you have high-speed broadband FTTH (optics), you'll probably be amazed how your connection actualy SUCKS when connecting to Japan.

The fact we can actually play it doesn't mean we should expect PERFECT connection when there is 16 player-data that should be collected, received, sent-back, calculated and displayed in 360 frames-per-second which is most likely the speed of GT5 physics. Not to mention that half of Europe and USA have upload speeds so low that Japanese people wouldn't even beleive it is still possible in 21st century.

In other words, when you already have a chance to peeek at cheerleadres showers, do not complain that your peephole is too small.

I know that the ping is partly to blame but your net connection does not have anything to do with PD's poor attempt at the online interface or the rubbish penalty system! They could have at least got those things right!

Robin

What does the penalty system that sucked had anything to do with ping? I want to know too.

hey were you on yesterday playing as rocketpunch2112 or something similar, if so i raced with you. altho i didnt see after the first corner. i think you may have left the game...i got rammed heavily in that race....it sucks

Merged 2 3 threads on online issues

was about to say that, we need to clean up the forum a bit. 4 or 5 threads are more than enough to cover every aspect of the game. there is not a lot of posts everyday right now, but we do get a lot of 10-15 posts threads.

prologue is great i know. for me it doesn't even compare to other racing games. still, i don't know why people get mad that we are complaing about something that is clearly wrong.

i know online racers all have this same problem. but as a fan of GT, i want them to get it right. somebody at some point will have a solution for bad drivers in online racing. all i want is that Gran Turismo manages to do it right.

there are solutions, (private rooms that will come in the future) options, (don't play the game if you don't want to be bothered) and enough qualities to make the game shine besides its shortcomings, we all know that, BUT...

doesn't change that fact that the penalty system is a joke that needs to be changed. now, when rocket punch and i complain, people might think "oh god, those guys will never get satisfied, just enjoy the game", when, in reality, all i think is a way to, as a gamer, help my beloved game get better.

as you can see in my signature, i really wanted to have a bond with PD. i would love to be able to discuss the game with them. without dialogue, you don't get anywhere. so far what i'm afraid is that this dialogue, this constructive criticism, is only happening inside PD.

i would love to hear something like this, in a meeting inside of PD: "mister kazunori, people are complaining about the penalty system. they listed a number of ocasions in which our system failed. we have to do something about it".

"all right, let's try to fix it"

that's all, that's my intention when i complain about something. i can't see that as a bad action as an enthusiast

I have a handful of Japanese people on my freindlist for Xbox Live. I usually only play them in a racing game like PGR or Forza, and have not had serious lag issues you guys are talking about. Of course we all are gonna have lag now and then for many reasons but I have had many a race with 4 Japanese racers and myself with little or no lag. I can't speak Japanese so we text after the race, but it always close, so its fun to talk about afterwards. If PD didn't offer the options of Forza, PGR, or Toca they will probably not suffer any consequences since we will all still buy GT5 and love it and hug and kiss it, even sleep with it under our pillow. We just won't play online much, that sucks, but that's life.:guilty:

I have a handful of Japanese people on my freindlist for Xbox Live. I usually only play them in a racing game like PGR or Forza, and have not had serious lag issues you guys are talking about. :

That is because you're conecting to XboxLive servers, while GT5:P is at this moment hosted ONLY on SCEI's servers in Japan. When the game crosses Atlantic - for both NTSC or PAL - lag will be history.

Hey all, first post, blah blah blah long time GT fanatic, you get the idea.

What determines your online starting position, is it when you connect? Cause so far, every Online race ive started im dead last. Its not like I have a slow connection (ADSL 2mb/s+), so I'm just wondering why, cause it makes it harder to win especially on the Sports car Daytona event (full field) if I can't slipstream early on.

Also yes its a crash fest, and the penalty system doesn't work well.

Granted the whole online experience is a long way from slick, but it's quite addictive none the less.

I dont have too much of a problem with the penalty system personally. I seem to have been fortunate enough not to have suffered too many rammers or idiots, so normally I only incur penalties if I've gone in a little high or fast and brushed the wall (although I do like to try and run the outside line).

Biggest problem for me is the other cars jumping around, I've never intentionally hit anybody, but I have sideswiped a few other cars thinking I had a car width inbetween us, then within the blink of an eye that gaps gone and we're both spinning out, probably a side effect of having a 378ms ping!

It does need a lobby but I've been pleasantly suprised by most of the other online players.
_____
PSN JP ID for GT5P: Matskisan

hey were you on yesterday playing as rocketpunch2112 or something similar, if so i raced with you. altho i didnt see after the first corner. i think you may have left the game...i got rammed heavily in that race....it sucks

Is your PSNID black86 also? If so you really pissed me off a few days ago. I was trying to pass you on the straight at fuji and you swerved to block me and made me spin. In another race you also hit me under braking and it did not look like an accident. I got fed up in the end and brake tested you on the straight in a later race, I figured id be taken out at the first corner anyway. If that is you I would exect better from a member here.

If not then sorry :P

Raced the Daytona Supercar online event last night. Started last (as usual) and avoided most of the early carnage. Was coming third just behind another player with only a couple of laps to go. The first player had taken off and had a handy lead. So I drafted the second player and pushed both of us up to way over 300 clicks - then backed off before the turn and repeated the process the next straight.

We we're both catching the first guy pretty quick, but the second place dude got pissed from being pushed and braked in the middle of the straight. We both went spearing off the track. :lol:

I was just trying to get us up the front. :P Sorry, whoever you were.

This is what I hate:

Keep an eye on my rear view mirror and what happens after the first turn.

He hits me twice before turn two, he then hits another driver and attempts another hit on me but he couldn't because of the ghost feature, and then the guy he hit off the track knocks me off. :grumpy:

The guys name is SHERGAR

This is what I hate:

Keep an eye on my rear view mirror and what happens after the first turn.

He hits me twice before turn two, he then hits another driver and attempts another hit on me but he couldn't because of the ghost feature, and then the guy he hit off the track knocks me off. :grumpy:

The guys name is SHERGAR

I feel your pain. Lets give those tards some inspiration.

brakesnd1.png

Brakes weren't going to help the poor bugger at the 18 second mark. :ouch:

The worst thing is the player driving the grey car probably thinks you can't drive and rammed him off the road - not Sheragar :crazy:

Back