NBA 2010-2011 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,141 comments
In a match-up of the 2 teams that lost their superstars the Raptors have killed the Cavs in game 2. Goes to show the Raptors were smart to acknowledge their loss was inevitable and to rebuild their line-up. The Heat are now looking as dangerous as predicted.

Yeah. I didn't see all of the Heat vs. Magic game, but (no pun intended) the Magic just couldn't take the Heat. I just hate that ticky-tack Technical Foul on LeBron James after that reach-in foul he got. Basketball is all about emotion, and these dumb Tech Fouls for an overreact just take away from the emotion of the game.

Oh yeah, forgot to reply to your questions about tech fouls, I think they're incredibly stupid, players should be allowed to voice their opinions, and a riled up player is usually entertaining to watch as well. Some of the rules of basketball are the sport's biggest let down.

Oh yeah, forgot to reply to your questions about tech fouls, I think they're incredibly stupid, players should be allowed to voice their opinions, and a riled up player is usually entertaining to watch as well. Some of the rules of basketball are the sport's biggest let down.

Well, either way the call isn't going to be retracted like in the NFL when they issue challenges. The referee's call in the NBA is final. The player's opinion doesn't matter. No reviews, no nothing.

Just play the game.

I'm going to update this post with Rockets results, but I found out that my Rockets picked up Erick Dampier for a one-year deal. That would give the Rockets plenty of leverage at the Center position either in place of Yao or just overall.

Again, I'll update this post with results from the Rockets' home opener against the Denver Nuggets. Enjoy tonight's games!

I'm going to update this post with Rockets results, but I found out that my Rockets picked up Erick Dampier for a one-year deal. That would give the Rockets plenty of leverage at the Center position either in place of Yao or just overall.

Again, I'll update this post with results from the Rockets' home opener against the Denver Nuggets. Enjoy tonight's games!

I don't understand why Rockets keep thinking that Yao is the key to their future. They haven't made it very far ever since he joined the club. Besides, they were better off without him last season.

The Rockets should start looking for younger, explosive talents. They should consider a future without Yao.

Milwaukee put down the Bobcats, looks like Bogut has been flexing his blocking abilities and low post strength.:D I've gotta say, with Bogut in their line-up and the amount of talent they've got through the rest of their line-up the Bucks are probably my 2nd fave team this season.

I don't understand why Rockets keep thinking that Yao is the key to their future. They haven't made it very far ever since he joined the club. Besides, they were better off without him last season.

The Rockets should start looking for younger, explosive talents. They should consider a future without Yao.
Houston & NBA loves Yao. I really took notice when Portland played them in the Playoffs, couple of years ago. Standard NBA rules didn't even apply to the man. Here is why:

Yao Ming = Many Yuan for the league & the Rockets. China is a market of the size you wouldn't believe. 👍

Milwaukee put down the Bobcats, looks like Bogut has been flexing his blocking abilities and low post strength.:D I've gotta say, with Bogut in their line-up and the amount of talent they've got through the rest of their line-up the Bucks are probably my 2nd fave team this season.

They look strong now, but once injury starts hunting their players one by one.... they will have another tough season. Hopefully Bogut's arm can withstand the physical demand.

Houston & NBA loves Yao. I really took notice when Portland played them in the Playoffs, couple of years ago. Standard NBA rules didn't even apply to the man. Here is why:

Yao Ming = Many Yuan for the league & the Rockets. China is a market of the size you wouldn't believe. 👍

The NBA can still produce many Yuan without Yao in the Rockets. Whichever team he ends up in the future will not make a difference in the Chinese market.

Imagine this: Yao with the Knicks, Yao with the Lakers, Yao with Boston, Yao with Clippers.... hahah!

Seriously, the money will still keep flowing. Besides, Yao's days are winding down. Another bright talent from China will show up soon to replace him.

The NBA can still produce many Yuan without Yao in the Rockets. Whichever team he ends up in the future will not make a difference in the Chinese market.

Imagine this: Yao with the Knicks, Yao with the Lakers, Yao with Boston, Yao with Clippers.... hahah!

Seriously, the money will still keep flowing. Besides, Yao's days are winding down. Another bright talent from China will show up soon to replace him.
Correct, but that is not what you questioned in your post. You wondered why the Rockets overvalued Yao. ;)

I don't get it. What part of my post implied that Yao had to stay with the Rockets for the NBA to make the dough?

You didn't.

You said the NBA & the Rockets likes Yao = more Yuan to the league and the Rockets, which makes him a valuable asset.

All I said was the Rockets should consider a future without Yao because he hasn't done much.... apparently besides bringing in money from China to the league and club. But that doesn't benefit the Rockets from being winners because as a player he is.... no good anymore.

When Yao leaves the Rockets, he will still bring the Yuan to the league, but to a different club. And then I gave examples.

Yao as monetary asset = good money to league & whichever club he's in

Yao as a player = no good, overvalued, overrated, weak, etc.

👍

You didn't.

You said the NBA & the Rockets likes Yao = more Yuan to the league and the Rockets, which makes him a valuable asset.

All I said was the Rockets should consider a future without Yao because he hasn't done much.... apparently besides bringing in money from China to the league and club. But that doesn't benefit the Rockets from being winners because as a player he is.... no good anymore.

When Yao leaves the Rockets, he will still bring the Yuan to the league, but to a different club. And then I gave examples.

Yao as monetary asset = good money to league & whichever club he's in

Yao as a player = no good, overvalued, overrated, weak, etc.

👍
I think I'm starting to see where we are misunderstanding each other. You see my point, but you don't.

The league will profit regardless of which big city team Yao play for. That goes without saying.

But you underestimate the business end of this league. Unless you have a billionaire owner, finance is a priority to most clubs, if not critical. To most them, it is more important than winning the Championship, especially the way the economy has treated this very corporate league the last few years.

Don't get me wrong, all teams eventually make the shift. But trust me, if you are focusing this Yao thing on his performance as a player, you are missing the picture. This is math to Houston. It's not just about winning.

I think I'm starting to see where we are misunderstanding each other. You see my point, but you don't.

The league will profit regardless of which big city team Yao play for. That goes without saying.

But you underestimate the business end of this league. Unless you have a billionaire owner, finance is a priority to most clubs, if not critical. To most them, it is more important than winning the Championship, especially the way the economy has treated this very corporate league the last few years.

Don't get me wrong, all teams eventually make the shift. But trust me, if you are focusing this Yao thing on his performance as a player, you are missing the picture. This is math to Houston. It's not just about winning.

Indeed.

Capitalism at its finest, I suppose.

👍

I know I said I was going to update my post, but I decided to say it here. We lost by at least 10-13 points. Another second half letdown is the reason why. I think we've led in all three games at the half... only to lose in the second half. Nuggets hammered my boys late. It was still a great game.

And unlike the Dallas Cowboy fans in the NFL that are more bandwagoners than true fans, I'm still sticking with my Houston Rockets. And how about this- the Nets last year started winless (we all know how THEY ended up) last season. Now, they are unbeaten so far (or with just one loss). My Rockets will take on the Hornets here in Houston, then head out to San Antonio on this coming Saturday to take on the Spurs. All I can hope for is a 2-3 record after the Spurs game...

I know I said I was going to update my post, but I decided to say it here. We lost by at least 10-13 points. Another second half letdown is the reason why. I think we've led in all three games at the half... only to lose in the second half. Nuggets hammered my boys late. It was still a great game.

And unlike the Dallas Cowboy fans in the NFL that are more bandwagoners than true fans, I'm still sticking with my Houston Rockets. And how about this- the Nets last year started winless (we all know how THEY ended up) last season. Now, they are unbeaten so far (or with just one loss). My Rockets will take on the Hornets here in Houston, then head out to San Antonio on this coming Saturday to take on the Spurs. All I can hope for is a 2-3 record after the Spurs game...

Miami was too much for the Nets.

That Rockets schedule looks tough. I'm not sure if they can even get past the Hornets 'cause as you've stated, their main problem is dismal performance by the 2nd half. However, Hornets can be inconsistent at times, so it might end up being a close game. Maybe a low scoring, close game.

OK I was just checking out early season stats and spotted something that confused me to say the least, maybe one of you NBA die-hards can help me out here. For all the shot percentages, in attempts and shots made they were not whole numbers for most players. Like Danny Granger, has somehow made 3.7 threes from 8 shots, or Nowitzki, who has made 0.5 from 0.5 threes giving him a 100% 3pt FG%. Are they on drugs?! Stats don't work this way!

Edit: Never mind, had to change the stats from per game to overall, wierd default setting if you ask me. It changed their percentages though, oddly.

Last edited:
So far I am presently surprised with my Knicks. I know they are 1-2 but they are playing defense and hitting the boards. I look for them to challenge for the 8th playoff spot.

When I made that comment correlating to the Cowboys, I meant the ones who just gave up on them. Anyhow on Wednesday, it's the 3-0 Hornets at the 0-3 Rockets. Either we're just having a tough start, or we're just not doing enough to win games (especially in the second half). We've lost all three games after having led in the first half.

Let me just say this again- GREAT for basketball to come back. I love me some football, but I've always been a basketball fan.

I resent that remark. I fully support my cowboys, seahawks, spurs, Mavericks, Saints. 👍

Hilarious!

kjb
So far I am presently surprised with my Knicks. I know they are 1-2 but they are playing defense and hitting the boards. I look for them to challenge for the 8th playoff spot.

If they can actually get in a winning tune and become consistent, then maybe they'll have a shot from 6-8. No one wants to be 8 because if you end up tying with multiple teams for the last spot, your chances are doomed. One last push for a win in the last week of games can knock you out like Pacquiao on Margarito. Hahaha! Go team Congressman Pacman!

This may be old news to some of you guys. But did you hear that Allen Iverson is going to play for some team in Turkey. Nobody in the NBA wanted him.

ESPN story.

Well, he carries a lot of baggage. He's getting old, full of himself, doesn't want to practice, has way too many excuses, asks for too much money when his value is depleting due to his own doing, argues with coaches, argues with team owner, bossy, egotist.... etc.

He's a risk, liability, and a waste of money.

In the NBA, there's always handful of teams desperate enough to sign a player like Iverson, so I was surprised when not one team in the NBA wanted him. Maybe he was offered a minimum, but didn't want to take it?

Either way, he really is full of himself(a shocker). He also challenged his head coach Hollins, last season. That right there alone may have scared off enough teams. I just can't believe a guy who's played professional basketball for over a decade still can't play smart team ball. Great individual talent for sure.

In the NBA, there's always handful of teams desperate enough to sign a player like Iverson, so I was surprised when not one team in the NBA wanted him. Maybe he was offered a minimum, but didn't want to take it?

Either way, he really is full of himself(a shocker). He also challenged his head coach Hollins, last season. That right there alone may have scared off enough teams. I just can't believe a guy who's played professional basketball for over a decade still can't play smart team ball. Great individual talent for sure.

Yes, he was shopped around by his agent. I think he was also considered in Miami, but for a veteran minimum salary. He asked for more, so Miami looked somewhere else. He would've been a crazy and risky addition, though.

I think he also was asking to be a starter to every single team he was shopped, but no one wanted that deal. Iverson did not want to be the player off the bench.

It's a shame he ended up this way.

He was a great talent, no doubt about that. But at this point, he is starting to age and younger talents keep outshining him.

Damn, in one of Toronto's best offensive games perhaps they still lost to the Kings. Bargnani had 28pts and Evans had 19 rebounds. DeRozan also had 24pts, a career high equalling game for him.
Even though it's super early in the season and they've only played 3 games, Reggie Evans is 2nd in the league for rebounds at 15 per game. A lot of his team mates are likening him to Dennis Rodman.

PS- It would have been good if Iverson came to the Australian NBL, certainly would have been good for the league dollar wise.

Yeah, if I were Iverson, I would've just hung up my jersey at this point. He's had a decade and a half of play in the NBA. That's more than alot of other star players could ask for. I don't know what the average age of retirement is for the NBA, but I would imagine he is right around it. Going to play for some Turkish league half way around the world certainly isn't helping his legacy.

Hilarious!

If they can actually get in a winning tune and become consistent, then maybe they'll have a shot from 6-8. No one wants to be 8 because if you end up tying with multiple teams for the last spot, your chances are doomed. One last push for a win in the last week of games can knock you out like Pacquiao on Margarito. Hahaha! Go team Congressman Pacman!

Things have been so bad for so long even being in contention and getting knocked towards the end of the season would be a welcome improvement. I just hope the owner doesn't bring Isiah Thomas back. I hope this scandal with the scouts secretly working draftees will get rid of the rest of the people connected with Thomas. The only problem is the owner thinks the world of Thomas. 👎

Back