NBA 2016-2017 Draft, Preseason and Season

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 405 comments
Toronto traded for Serge Ibaka, thoughts? I personally always felt he was overrated but I'll have to wait and see if this was a good acquisition.

From what people have been saying, Masai has been lusting over Ibaka for a long time, so it makes sense. And in a lot of ways, it quells a lot of the unrest that Raps fans have been feeling in regards to their slide.

But what worries me is what happens in regards to Lowry and Derozan coming out of the ASB.

From what people have been saying, Masai has been lusting over Ibaka for a long time, so it makes sense. And in a lot of ways, it quells a lot of the unrest that Raps fans have been feeling in regards to their slide.

But what worries me is what happens in regards to Lowry and Derozan coming out of the ASB.

DeRozan has been in a real funk, let's hope he gets the rest he needs and comes back with a fresh outlook.

Sounds like All-Star weekend has been a real bust this year. The only thing anyone ever looks forward to now are the 3pt and dunk contests, and they were very underwhelming. The rising star and all-star games are extremely boring, they don't even pretend to play defence like the old days.
Let's get on with the regular season already, I want to see Ibaka play with the Raptors, and I want to see what happens before the trade deadline.

The Kings have apparently agreed to the Pelicans offer of Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and a future first and second-round pick for DeMarcus Cousins.

An AD and Boogie Cousins frontcourt? Somebody please tell me I'm not dreaming. :eek:

Last edited:
The Kings have apparently agreed to the Pelicans offer of Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and a future first and second-round pick for DeMarcus Cousins.

An AD and Boogie Cousins frontcourt. Somebody please tell me I'm not dreaming. :eek:
Looks like Casspi is also going to New Orleans.

Wow, guess DMC really didn't want to go back to Sacramento.

The potential is undeniable, but I can see one small issue - they might not be available as much as the Pelicans like. Davis is still somewhat injury prone, and Cousins is very suspension prone. Without even one of them, the team will be in a spot of bother.

Despite which, they'll still be excellent.

An AD and Boogie Cousins frontcourt? Somebody please tell me I'm not dreaming. :eek:

I hate this for Buddy. Sacramento is a crappy organization.

Every game from here on out is towards playing in the NBA Finals and a chance to win the O'Brien Trophy. The All-Star festivities concluded back on Sunday. This is how all of the teams look before heading back to work. How is/are your favorite team(s) fairing when the regular season resumes? Well, take a look:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC: Boston (37-20), TOR (33-24), NY (23-34), PHI (21-35), BKN (9-47)
CENTRAL: Cleveland (39-16), IND (29-28), CHI (28-29), DET (27-30), MIL (25-30)
SOUTHEAST: Washington (34-21), ATL (32-24), MIA (25-32), CHA (24-32), ORL (21-37)

CURRENT EAST PLAYOFF TEAMS (! = Division leaders): CLE!, BOS!, WAS!, TOR, ATL, IND, CHI, DET

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
PACIFIC: Golden State (47-9), LAC (35-21), SAC (24-33), LAL (19-39), PHX (18-39)
SOUTHWEST: San Antonio (43-13), HOU (40-18), MEM (34-24), NO (23-34), DAL (22-34)
NORTHWEST: Utah (35-22), OKC (32-25), DEN (25-31), POR (23-33), MIN (22-35)

CURRENT WEST PLAYOFF TEAMS (! = Division leaders): GS!, SA!, HOU, LAC, UTA!, MEM, OKC, DEN

Nobody has clinched anything or has been eliminated from the postseason. So keep on playing hard to be among the upper percentile to play in the Playoffs!

I didn't see any NBA All-Star activity, but I am obviously pleased Eric Gordon of my Rockets won the 3-Point Shooting challenge. The West beat the East 192-182 in the All-Star Game. Video game-like scoring!

Good luck to all of your teams moving forward.

This one's a bit quiet all things considered. First is the absurd All-Star Shoot-around thing that defies even video game logic, then there's the lopsided Kings-Pelicans trade that sent Boogie Cousins to NOLA...or probably he was already there and the staff in Sacramento said "Hey, why don't you stay there and we'll send your stuff ASAP."

Of course that's NOTHING compared to what I will predict as the go-to news item for ESPN until NFL training camp starts, Jeanie Buss finally hit the "Blow this **** Up!" button and has fired Jim Buss as exec VP of Basketball Operations, GM Mitch Kupchak is gone, along with the VP of PR John Black, and THEN they traded their 6th man Lou Williams to John's Rockets, supposedly because he was doing so well it may have affected their draft chances...yes, they're officially tanking, but I'm thinking it's a cleaning-of-the-slate movefor their NEW President of Basketball Operations... Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

Crazy how the world works, eh, BKGlover? I honestly haven't kept up on my Houston Rockets ever since moving from FOX Sports Houston to (then) CSN Houston and now ROOT Sports Southwest. So I haven't really seen my Rockets on TV for a good number of years now (on TV, at least). I am just not sure what to make of Lou Williams. Perhaps he'll compliment the Rockets nicely, or maybe he will not be as talented. So I don't know what to make of Lou Williams except that he's with us now.

Soemthing omitted... I think it's cool DeMarcus Cousins and Omri Casspi (former Rocket) are with the New Orleans Pelicans now. So New Orleans is ready to get down with Boogie Cousins. I'd say it's a good deal. It will help out the Pelicans a good bit. All I wonder is what kind of chemistry Boogie will have with the Pelicans. I guess we'll find out once the regular season resumes.

By the way, my Rockets will be at the Pelicans this Thursday to resume the 2016-2017 season.

I hate this for Buddy. Sacramento is a crappy organization.

My friend is a Kings fan because he lived in Sacramento for a few years. I want to see them do well partly for his sake, and partly to cheer the underdog. I hope that it was Cousins being toxic to that team that made them so terrible, and that this can be a truly fresh start for them.

My friend is a Kings fan because he lived in Sacramento for a few years. I want to see them do well partly for his sake, and partly to cheer the underdog. I hope that it was Cousins being toxic to that team that made them so terrible, and that this can be a truly fresh start for them.

That is being very optimistic for that organization. It would be awesome to see Buddy thrive there, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

It's back to work for the NBA. All-Star action in New Orleans is done. Now every game on forward is to play in the NBA Finals and to hoist the O'Brien Trophy. Nobody has been eliminated, nobody has clinched anything, and there's still plenty of season left. There is no NIT, CBI, or anything similar- you either be among the top percentile in the Eastern and/or Western Conference, or have your season end.

Six games are on tonight. So having said all of this, good luck to all of your favorite teams as the regular season resumes.

Back to work for my Houston Rockets. We had some Rockets play in New Orleans for the 2016-2017 NBA All-Star game, and my Rockets had themselves an All-Star performance... at the expense of Stavingo's Pelicans. The Pelicans got whacked 129-99 tonight in New Orleans. I heard Boogie Cousins made his first start with his new team. Didn't matter. Houston still held it down... and held down New Orleans in the process.

Congratulations to the other winners from Thursday's other five games.

Dallas finally did the trade I'd been wanting for a while now & got Noel from the 76ers. Kid is only 22 and has a stat line very similar to Bogut's career averages. Of course, we lost Justin Anderson who I really liked, but Carlisle just wasn't giving him a lot of playing time and he wasn't showing massive improvements. Philly also grabbed a Top 18-protected pick that could dissolve into 2 2nd round picks (2017/2018).

This is a stellar trade for us because we need a young, defensive corner stone. Noel was set for Free Agency this summer, but he's restricted now and it's likely Dallas will match any offer. Dallas also waived Deron Williams whom is being eyed by the Cavaliers for that play maker James wants. Deron played with Kyrie & James in the Olympics years ago, so they've already gelled before. This should give more minutes to Yogi/Curry and allow us to really go after a PG in the draft this year, which appears to have quite a few solid, young players at that position at the top.

The one thing I'm not fond of is the confirmation that Bogut (whom I believe has been bought out) can return the Warriors. My understanding of the rule was he could not return til' July 2017. But, apparently, you can bypass that rule being traded twice....

Philly got a great deal too. This is one of those trades that was good for everyone.

A rather quiet deadline in the end. Raptors picked up a role player in PJ Tucker. I was more surprised by who didn't move rather than any of the actual trades. Jahlil Okafor and Ricky Rubio I thought would surely be on the move.

The new Raptors looked great on debut, it seems they'll fit well on this roster. DeRozan had a 43pt game.

Sooo it would appear that Jeanie Buss' brothers have decided they don't like being overruled by her. They tried worming power from her, she's taking the entire issue to court ASAP.

Magic Johnson may OWN the Lakers if this gets as ugly as I think it could get.

Sooo it would appear that Jeanie Buss' brothers have decided they don't like being overruled by her. They tried worming power from her, she's taking the entire issue to court ASAP.

Magic Johnson may OWN the Lakers if this gets as ugly as I think it could get.

Only in Hollywood. :crazy:

Almost sounds like the New York Knicks are just making excuses as to why they failed against the Golden State Warriors last night. Pretty ludicrous excuse if they are that serious as to why the Warriors whacked the Knicks.

Almost sounds like the New York Knicks are just making excuses as to why they failed against the Golden State Warriors last night. Pretty ludicrous excuse if they are that serious as to why the Warriors whacked the Knicks.
The biggest person upset about itl was Draymond.

Anyway, Dirk becomes the 6th player in history to hit 30,000 points. Had 18 points in the 1st quarter alone on perfect shooting.

First of all, congratulations to big bad Dirk Nowitzki knocking down 30K points. Future Hall of Famer in my opinion. I greatly respect Dirk.

I saw "The Doug Gottlieb Show" yesterday, and Doug actually praised the Knicks having the entire first half without any sort of pagentry. No Kiss Cam, no overplayed songs, or anything like that. That was the premise to this deal. Even still, the Knicks failed hosting the Warriors.

I haven't talked about my Rockets in some time. In our latest game, we lost 112-110 at the San Antonio Spurs last night. Still holding down 2nd in the Southwest Division and 3rd in the Western Conference.

Did he quit what ever he was doing the last time though?
Last I remember, he was with the Bucks during the Monta/Jennings seasons (iirc) and then just decided to retire shortly after they left.

Not sure what he's been doing since, but he was about to enter his prime years when he decided to leave.

Last I remember, he was with the Bucks during the Monta/Jennings seasons (iirc) and then just decided to retire shortly after they left.

Not sure what he's been doing since, but he was about to enter his prime years when he decided to leave.

I think he had drug issues or something. I don't think his attitude was top notch either.

Back