Need drifting lessons

• Thread starter Flamax
  • 61 comments
KSL
If you don't have power to push through the corners then you will die out. You don't know the importance of e-braking. 0/10 troll harder :)

Also, by your logic, you're saying tuned drift cars with high HP (in D1GP) is "crazy overpowered". You certainly don't know the tracks.

D1 cars don't have near the power to weight ratio that a McLaren F1 does, and are geared differently. Also I never said that high power cars shouldn't be drifted, but that they shouldn't be used by a beginner to learn how to drift.

Furthermore I addressed the importance of e-braking. It's situational, watch professional drivers, do you see them use the e-brake to initiate every drift?

If you want to actually learn how to drift, start on a low powered car and learn how to control weight transfer and manage grip. If you want to just powerslide around corners grab a Viper or something. If you think you need 400 hp to keep a car drifting through a long corner then you aren't very good at drifting.

KSL
If you don't have power to push through the corners then you will die out. You don't know the importance of e-braking when we're talking about a beginner here. 0/10 troll harder :)

Also, by your logic, you're saying tuned drift cars with high HP (in D1GP) is "crazy overpowered". You certainly don't know the tracks.

High powered cars definitely have an advantage at most
D1 competition tracks, but its been proven in the past that a low-powered, but well-tuned vehicle can surely be a factor. Was it Hibino
that took Nomura down in a hachi at Ebisu? Just one example.

D1 cars don't have near the power to weight ratio that a McLaren F1 does, and are geared differently. Also I never said that high power cars shouldn't be drifted, but that they shouldn't be used by a beginner to learn how to drift.

Furthermore I addressed the importance of e-braking. It's situational, watch professional drivers, do you see them use the e-brake to initiate every drift?

If you want to actually learn how to drift, start on a low powered car and learn how to control weight transfer and manage grip. If you want to just powerslide around corners grab a Viper or something. If you think you need 400 hp to keep a car drifting through a long corner then you aren't very good at drifting.

I agree with you but he is a beginner, You telling him to clutch kick and use every other variation from the "drift bible" (as a beginner) is just stupid. Its like telling him to run before he can walk. You're also implying vipers can't drift but can only powerslide. Way to go. Tarzan Yamada would like a word with you.

Last edited:
took Nomura down in a hachi at Ebisu? Just one example.

Just to get one thing cleared, I have no problem drifting with cars between 100~200 hp. Especially with functional clutch feature. Never argued against low powered cars but its arguable if the car is underpowered and the corner is too wide to push through with stock setting.

The guy we're talking about is a beginner who needs to learn how to throttle control and the line first. I clearly mentioned braking and weight transfer.

Why am i replying to trolls anyway lol
Time to go drift some more :P

KSL
I agree with you but he is a beginner, You telling him to clutch kick and use every other variation from the "drift bible" (as a beginner) is just stupid.

I completely disagree, if anything that should be his first point of reference. If you're going to learn to walk before you can run then you should learn to walk from the best! As a beginner though it can be very overwhelming I agree but i think the drift bible encourages baby steps when learning techniques. It will take a while before you can put it all together.

Also i personally feel jumping into a high powered car to drift is somewhat of a crutch. Start off with something moderate like a 350z, then you can progress. And you don't necessarily have to drift high powered monsters like they do D1 style ( although it is extremely awesome when you are able to), some of the most enjoyable drifting I do is in a moderately tuned AE86. If you have proper car control technique then you can stylishly drift nearly anything.

I completely disagree

Opinions, Opinions everywhere. There's no complete right or wrong. Suggest him a good training route because i only suggested him the way I trained and it paid off. Everyone has their own way of training.

Gotta agree with the "start with a low power car" ideal.

Low power cars are definitely harder to drift because they dont have the power to keep a nice long drift going without proper technique. But when you develop that technique, drifting high power cars with that proper technique will be cake, and you can actually be more experimental on how you enter and exit a drift.

Learn how to drift a low power car first. A corolla levin is a perfect start. I'm definitely stilll learning, but I can do pretty damn well with my 247 whp mildly tuned NC roadster. Keep in mind, the longer your car's wheel base is, the easier it is to drift. A corolla's wheel base is pretty short, so in comparison, a 240SX will be easier to drift. A roadster's wheel base is much shorter than a corolla's.

Want a real challenge? Try to properly drift a 80's toyota starlet (if its in the game), or a suzuki cappucino.

Lol McLaren on race tires....

Quick rule of thumb when it comes to getting a car sideways is there is very little you can be taught providing you have a concept of racing already, all the elements you learned racing are still there you just need to apply them in a different manner really, I'm sure if your any good at racing in gt you have learned what gets a car sideways and understand how to stop it from spinning out.

No teaching can replace experience when it comes to this stuff, do some runs, try to drift, learn from your mistakes. This guy saying use the McLaren..ya don't do that I'm using an fc rx7 with 230hp and I'm running it fine.

Something you can be taught is this, there are 3 elements you are having to learn when starting to drift: 1) the car 2) the track and 3) drifting itself. Now that's alot of different things to learn at 1 time, so what I realized early on is the less your learning at once the better. So find a track you like (though I advise Tsukuba since its mostly the same type of corners so its even less to learn) next get a car, there is no..."right" power it depends on alot of different things so just pick something up that feels good to you and start trying.

Once your on the track approach the corner give it some handbrake and turn in, apply throttle to get the tail out and countersteer at this point its all throttle and steering input...if your spinning out relax on the throttle, if your pulling out of the drift (also known as snap back) your steering to much for the angle you have.

When you get a hang of how the car feels sideways you can bump the power up a bit and start doing some other modifications, when you can consistently run while using the handbrake technique to get the car sideways you can start to learn some more advanced techniques.

A final note, I cannot stress this enough, no matter what you read in this thread or instructions you get in a gt5 online room, nothing will replace experience and learning why the car is doing what it is its doing.

Remember, there is 2 parts to drifting 1) getting a car sideways and 2) actually holding it sideways. the Mclaren may help with the 1st part, it wont help with the second.

Last edited:
Oh and try this, enter a corner slow then push hard on accelerator
and turn, the car should start sliding and then feel the car in your
hands and counter steer accordingly, then straighten upon exit of
corner.

That's a technique I use very often. Only problem is that I have to have the ideal speed to begin with. If I push too hard on the accelerator and don't use any other means of getting the rear end out, then chances are I will gain too much speed and slide off the track, or just slide sideways and not get any drift points. One doesn't get much points from just sliding. One has to have the right combination of throttle, angle and speed to get max points. That's my experience anyway.

On the subject of power cars: I started out with low powered cars, but couldn't really nail them. When I moved to the Ferrari F40 I got much better results. Now I use an Aston Martin DB9 Coupe ‘06 (or 03, can't remember). That for me is really easy to drift. Fairly high powered, but not too much. Won me a Dream Drifter trophy with that on Suzuka East.

But I do get someone's point here about learning the technique with low powered cars. So I will go back to basics and practise my technique on some of those low powered cars. Any suggestions on which one? 350Z maybe? Or Fairlady?

Hey Flamax, sorry i was only online that late, but did it help for you what i told you? We should drift more together, but maybe make appointments when and how late. ;)

Your car is one of the better ones to start with so keep with it!👍

Hey Flamax, sorry i was only online that late, but did it help for you what i told you? We should drift more together, but maybe make appointments when and how late. ;)

Your car is one of the better ones to start with so keep with it!👍

Man you helped my alot I can drift pretty decent now.
I can start it of only the ending of the drift is a point atm :D

But with some help ill be fine

Lol McLaren on race tires....

Remember, there is 2 parts to drifting 1) getting a car sideways and 2) actually holding it sideways. the Mclaren may help with the 1st part, it wont help with the second.

I gotta admit i lol'd pretty hard. Your mentality is "if i can't do it nobody else can". Try it before you bash it.
/thread

KSL
I gotta admit i lol'd pretty hard. Your mentality is "if i can't do it nobody else can". Try it before you bash it.
/thread

Its that it just seems silly drifting a supercar on racing tires. It just seems... wrong.

KSL
/thread

Where did I say I couldn't do it? I assure you I can with ease, a learner car though? absolutely not.

Edit
Not difficult at all when you know what your doing;)
28bxh4x.jpg

9bg9d3.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I do not know with GT, I have been using the wheel since I got it, that being said I have used a controller with rFactor and FM and it was very doable, and I started with auto in FM and was qualifying top in competitions too. That being said, you will have ALOT more control with manual, when drifting alot of the time the engine can become "bogged down" and you will slowly lose RPM, this is a simple fix usually and all you gotta do is go down a gear, with auto you need to ride the bogging down until the game decides your in the wrong gear, and in that time the engine will be struggling to keep the wheels spinning.

I personally would say, play for a week with nothing but manual (assuming you dont use it normally, I used it for normal racing and then used auto when I initially learned to drift) and it will become 2nd nature its REALLY simple when you train yourself that you need to do those actions, shift up when your on the red line, shift down when your about 50% to the redline (my personal rule of thumb) and before long you will be shifting without need to even look at the RPM since you can do it by ear, but ya try and get used to manual then take a crack at drifting. But if for whatever reason you REALLY dont wanna learn manual you wont need it, but it will be alot easier to learn manual then drifting.

KSL
Opinions, Opinions everywhere. There's no complete right or wrong. Suggest him a good training route because i only suggested him the way I trained and it paid off. Everyone has their own way of training.

My suggestion was the drift bible with a moderate power car...

edit: okay to clarify and make my post worthwhile instead of half a**ed, i think knowing the proper techniques while you are learning will be valuable in your understanding of what the car is/isn't doing. I don't know if you've seen the drift bible, which is a great watch btw, but it does a great job in explaining everything you need to know about drifting for beginner techniques to more advanced car control. From personal experience i found knowing the techniques if not being able to perform them all made me better off in the long run. And the key is perseverance. I don't claim to be an expert but i can definitely point you in the direction of the drift bible if you are interested. This was basically my suggestion for how to train and it was what made me a good drifter.

Last edited:
My suggestion was the drift bible with a moderate power car...

edit: okay to clarify and make my post worthwhile instead of half a**ed, i think knowing the proper techniques while you are learning will be valuable in your understanding of what the car is/isn't doing. I don't know if you've seen the drift bible, which is a great watch btw, but it does a great job in explaining everything you need to know about drifting for beginner techniques to more advanced car control. From personal experience i found knowing the techniques if not being able to perform them all made me better off in the long run. And the key is perseverance. I don't claim to be an expert but i can definitely point you in the direction of the drift bible if you are interested. This was basically my suggestion for how to train and it was what made me a good drifter.
I love the drift bible. In fact, I think I just might watch it now ;)

I really does stink being at school all week and not being able to practice what I am reading. Hopefully some of the information will be retained. I'll have to buy a car just for drifting though.

Because most of the techniques have already been mentioned, my tips will generally focus on the car tuning and setups.

Since the Silvia 13 and Silvia 15 are the most used Premium drifting cars, my tips will focus on those cars.

Assuming you already had fun with your car on rainy courses, these are my tips for tuning the S13 and S15 from Cheap to Expensive order..

Obviously, Brakes are the first thing you can tune free of charge:

Unless you are doing high speed drifts, in which case I recommend ABS and gentle weightshift techniques for the less experienced, Myself I dont use ABS no matter what the track layout and condition is.
2 front and 3 rear on your usual silvia is more appropriate, because you wont entirely lock the wheels by accident (Takes a lot of brake training to brake smooth with higher numbers)
2 front and 3 rear is good for braking hard (Just push the brake to the bottom..) While manipulating your steering accordingly.
Or if you need to perform subtle weight shifts without the car going sideways and full brake lock immediately.
But if you want to make sure, why dont you take the car on a rainy course with high speed corners, and see for yourself.

As for Tires, I would recommend Either Comfort Soft or Comfort Medium, Comfort Hard is.. Too hard, and even though they are easier to stay sideways with, the lower grip level means you can easily slide of the track, and, tires that just slides your car all over the place wont teach you anything about proper recovery without any counter movements visible on your replays (counter movements are NOT cool in drifting)
So in other words, higher grip tires teach you a lot about how to properly manipulate steering, brakes, and throttle in more ways than I can ever hope to explain here, you just have to go out and do it.

A good clutch makes Clutch kick, Downshift Rearwheel Locks and other relevant techniques simpler and sharper, and since you also probably need the following throttle response, I also recommend aftermarket Flywheel, as well as a Carbon driveshaft.

For cheap immediate mods you can do ECU, better intake manifold, racing filter, and if you have already come this far, I highly recommend a Limited Slip Differential.
The LS Differential settings depends, if you have over 350 HP, I recommend 25-30 Torque, 60% Shim (Sensivity) for Acceleration and 30 % Shim for Coast (Deacceleration)
For below 350HP, just 60% everything is good, myself I drive with a 60% shimmed LSD all the time no matter how much HP, because I like the car going sideways even if I let off the throttle, thats my style for the highspeed transitions with the Silvia`s, but it could be different for everyone of course.

Assuming you practiced with the car like this for many many hours, and you wish to take the whole tuning concept one step further (If not all the way up) I highly recommend Restoring Body Rigidity at the GT Auto Shop, in order for your car to work better for the new suspension (Which I will get to shortly)

For suspension mods, Just go straight with the sickest adjustable suspension, once it`s on the car, my recommendations for the Suspension settings is the following:
Toe front 0.10, Toe rear 0.05, Camber Front 3.0 to 3.5 (This simply means better grip up front, but not so much that you cant do 4 wheel drift entries at even at 100 kph..), Camber Rear 0.0 to 1.5 (The higher the speeds you will drift at, the higher the rear camber should be, up to 1.5 imho)
As for anti roll bars, my own preference is to have double as much anti rollbars up front compared to the rear, but this is highly user dependent, some likes a stiffer rear and softer front, with higher rear stiffness, you achieve oversteer, whereas high front stiffness, gives more understeer (Means you can push it further when drifting through sleek curves)

As for the springs, I like to leave them at around 10kg front and 8kg rear.

Lower the car as much as the suspension allows, leave extension as it is, but put compression ratios to around 3 on both front and rear (This might depend on individual style, but I like the suspension bumping the rear axle a little because it assures me that crucial power is actually coming to the wheels even if the road conditions are a little rough)

After practicing like this for a while, and you figure you need more power, I recommend simply shedding all excess weight of your Silvia`s body/chassis, add lighter windows, lighter bonnet, go through all 3 stages on weight shaving (With the S13 you can get it down to 965 kg..) As well as add more chassis/body rigidity reinforcement.

If you still figure you want more power after this (Even though the Power to Weight ratio should have improved dramatically)

The first thing you might want after this is a Medium RPM Range Turbo Kit, the High RPM Range Turbo Kit offers no response or kick down below, I don`t even recommend the High RPM kit to advanced users, so as you may figure, with medium range torque you sacrifice a bit of HP and torque high up, but it doesnt matter because you need the extra HP and torque to stay right in the powerband that you regularily use, and since G25/G27 cant upshift during the drifts due to stupid priorities during game development, its a big advantage for the RPM needle not to bump on the rev limiter whilst in the apex of the corner in full four wheel drift... Suit yourself if you want bigger turbo, but you will find that mostly, you cant even use this power so do it at your own risk and don`t come and whine to me whether you can or cant drift with it, I take distance from it! :P

After these mods and youre still hungry for power, comes simply modding the engine through all 3 stages..

Thats all I can think of for the moment being :P

Last edited:
Are you guys drifting in free run or drift mode? Whats the difference? I only tried the drifting mode on GT5p and there was the point system. Also the cars seemed to behave differently than on normal mode.

While you're learning, drift in Free Run. I don't use Drift Trial that often...it doesn't affect handling or anything, just gives you points for drifting. The downside is that it can encourage less than elegant techniques to milk extra points out of the scoring system.

You don't need to worry about points while you're just getting used to it, don't worry about it until you're comfortable drifting.

Incredible explanation ToreDL87.
Mr Turismo, relax yourself and try to feel the car. You must control it. Don't let the car control you.

KSL
I'm just gonna add on to what other fellow drifters have already stated.
It's quite difficult to describe each rapid actions into words so bear with me :)

Training setting:
Tsukuba Circuit (Online or Arcade mode)
McLaren MP4 (600+ hp); Its got great power off-the-go and easy to handle stock suspension setting.
Racing Tires - Hard (Trust me, Racing tires.)
Manual Trans.
All driving aids off
TCS off
ABS 1~5 pick your comfort zone
Don't do 900 degree steering. Not until you mastered it to a certain level.

Training method for your stock McLaren:
1) Hit your brake hard at the corner entry and shift your vehicle's weight forward. Carrying that momentum, immediately oversteer by using your e-brake and full throttle it in 2nd gear.

2) Counter steer accordingly to the angle of your vehicle. Rapidly full throttle on/off while counter steering and unwinding (back & forth). Repeat the process till you get the hang of controlling your desired angle, line and speed.
*Counter steer + Throttle = Guides the vehicle to the intended path but simultaneously drains out the drift momentum
*Unwinding + Throttle = Keeps your vehicle "out of control" but simultaneously increases the drift momentum. Also used to sharpen or correct angles.

3) Steering and Throttle control. Counter steer and gas it for too long then you'll fly off course and/or hit another car. Unwind and over/under accelerate then you'll end up spinning out or coming to a dead stop in middle of the corner. Then you'll be like me, chased by an angry mob of 14 Japanese crashing you up against a wall telling you to gtfo :indiff: (true story).
*Experiment with 50% acceleration rate for recovery, 60% 70% 80%.

4) "Sweet spot". Since you're on a wheel, your precision will be better than pad drifters like me (and yes i'm jelly). Your chances of finding the sweet spot will be far greater in the future. I'm actually referring to a situation that requires absolute minimal transition between counter steering & unwinding, full throttle and releasing throttle. It'll help you clear corners with ease at optimal angle, line and speed. Do it within a racing line and some would call it a perfect drift, Hell alot easier said than done.

add me, i'll guide you through it. PSN: L1QU1DC3LL . I also got a tuned drift car if you want to use it.

Hey man, I'm interested in learning to drift sometime. I don't get a lot of wheel time with GT5, and I'm usually racing, doing license tests or challenges. I have a G25 wheel that I love. Hit me up, PSN Argent6978, and we'll see what I can learn from you. Got a Lancer Evo X I'd like to tune into a drifter someday, or maybe use that for rally, i'm not sure.

Latest Posts

Back