Need drifting lessons

• Thread starter Flamax
  • 61 comments
FlamaxNL
After some hours of playing DRIFT with Shadow I can drift a little but still need some assistance in drifting.

Is there anyone who is able to help me?

Add me to PSN and reply in this topic please.

My PSN: FlamaxNL

What toe settings have you guys been using?

Have not been working with those settings.

Any tips about it ? Totally new to DRIFTING in GT. Sow dont know anything about the tuning of suspension and stuff like that.

Hi Guys,
Im from Holland too. And i too am a total noob at driving, but more importantly drifting, in GT5.

To be honest i dont feel like doing much races at all; i came to drift.

Would really like to drift with you guys online so we can learn from eachother!

I dont know anything wbout tunes ro setting so all help is much appreciated!!

Add me on PSN: ZSPaulus

If you are starting to use a wheel, (the g27 in one of your cases) then dont expect to drift like a pro anytime soon, it took me a fair time just to get used to normal racing in gt. One big thing is unlike forza where you need 1000hp and to hold your foot down with tires pumped up to the lim just to get sideways in gt it doesnt take near that much, its all steering control (you dont just sit at full lock) and pedal control (you dont just hold your foot down) it takes time, heck i still have trouble drifting with my g27 in gt. but im getting alot better. And mainly seting up you car for your style.. i have some cars that i can drift without work and others i couldnt hold sideways for a second. Personally i like slightly harder tires then most pepz but when your handbrakes out of reach (momo wheel on g27) its very hard to keep it going with nothing but clutch kicks and the gas.

i need help too.. i was good with a controller on forza and gt but i got a g27 and now i suck really bad

Learning to drift with a steering wheel is going to take time. I have a G25 and I have drifted a lot in GT5 Prologue.

The good news is that with the tweaked physics it is a bit easier to drift in GT5 than in Prologue. I'm starting to get scores at around 9000 (on Suzuka East) consistently, which is not bad. But I still have a long way to go.

The main technique is to use a sharp wheel movement and maybe a clutch kick to get the rear end out. And then you have to gently pump the gas all the way through the turn to keep the car sideways for a nice drift. Try to use smooth wheel movements and keep the car in balance.

And remember, you won't learn this in one day. It's practise, practise practise. At first it will seem impossible (I was on the edge of giving up several times), but just keep on practising, and eventually you will se your scores gradually increase. Hang in there, and you will be rewarded.

And the really cool thing is that when you get better at drifting, you will also notice that you can handle power cars in regular races better also, and drive without aids.

Can someone please help me out by telling me how to setup the handbrake on the Wheel for the G27... I think i could do a lot better if i had it there i just don't know how to get it there

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm just gonna add on to what other fellow drifters have already stated.
It's quite difficult to describe each rapid actions into words so bear with me :)

Training setting:
Tsukuba Circuit (Online or Arcade mode)
McLaren MP4 (600+ hp); Its got great power off-the-go and easy to handle stock suspension setting.
Racing Tires - Hard (Trust me, Racing tires.)
Manual Trans.
All driving aids off
TCS off
ABS 1~5 pick your comfort zone
Don't do 900 degree steering. Not until you mastered it to a certain level.

Training method for your stock McLaren:
1) Hit your brake hard at the corner entry and shift your vehicle's weight forward. Carrying that momentum, immediately oversteer by using your e-brake and full throttle it in 2nd gear.

2) Counter steer accordingly to the angle of your vehicle. Rapidly full throttle on/off while counter steering and unwinding (back & forth). Repeat the process till you get the hang of controlling your desired angle, line and speed.
*Counter steer + Throttle = Guides the vehicle to the intended path but simultaneously drains out the drift momentum
*Unwinding + Throttle = Keeps your vehicle "out of control" but simultaneously increases the drift momentum. Also used to sharpen or correct angles.

3) Steering and Throttle control. Counter steer and gas it for too long then you'll fly off course and/or hit another car. Unwind and over/under accelerate then you'll end up spinning out or coming to a dead stop in middle of the corner. Then you'll be like me, chased by an angry mob of 14 Japanese crashing you up against a wall telling you to gtfo :indiff: (true story).
*Experiment with 50% acceleration rate for recovery, 60% 70% 80%.

4) "Sweet spot". Since you're on a wheel, your precision will be better than pad drifters like me (and yes i'm jelly). Your chances of finding the sweet spot will be far greater in the future. I'm actually referring to a situation that requires absolute minimal transition between counter steering & unwinding, full throttle and releasing throttle. It'll help you clear corners with ease at optimal angle, line and speed. Do it within a racing line and some would call it a perfect drift, Hell alot easier said than done.

Last edited:
KSL
I'm just gonna add on to what other fellow drifters have already stated.
It's quite difficult to describe each rapid actions into words so bear with me :)

Training setting:
Tsukuba Circuit (Online or Arcade mode)
McLaren MP4 (600+ hp); Its got great power off-the-go and easy to handle stock suspension setting.
Racing Tires - Hard (Trust me, Racing tires.)
Manual Trans.
All driving aids off
TCS off
ABS 1~5 pick your comfort zone

Training method for your stock McLaren:
1) Hit your brake hard at the corner entry and shift your vehicle's weight forward. Carrying that momentum, immediately oversteer by using your e-brake and full throttle it in 2nd gear.

2) Counter steer accordingly to the angle of your vehicle. Rapidly full throttle on/off while counter steering and unwinding (back & forth). Repeat the process till you get the hang of controlling your desired angle, line and speed.
*Counter steer + Throttle = Guides the vehicle to the intended path but simultaneously drains out the drift momentum
*Unwinding + Throttle = Keeps your vehicle "out of control" but simultaneously increases the drift momentum. Also used to sharpen or correct angles.

3) Steering and Throttle control. Counter steer and gas it for too long then you'll fly off course and/or hit another car. Unwind and over/under accelerate then you'll end up spinning out or coming to a dead stop in middle of the corner. Then you'll be like me, chased by an angry mob of 14 Japanese crashing you up against a wall telling you to gtfo :indiff: (true story).
*Experiment with 50% acceleration rate for recovery, 60% 70% 80%.

4) "Sweet spot". Since you're on a wheel, your precision will be better than pad drifters like me (and yes i'm jelly). Your chances of finding the sweet spot will be far greater in the future. I'm actually referring to a situation that requires absolute minimal transition between counter steering & unwinding, full throttle and releasing throttle. It'll help you clear corners with ease at optimal angle, line and speed. Do it within a racing line and some would call it a perfect drift, Hell alot easier said than done.

add me, i'll guide you through it. PSN: L1QU1DC3LL . I also got a tuned drift car if you want to use it.

Your my man,

Ill add you as soon as I am home!

Ok, the best tip i can give corresponding the others posts. Is don't put abs on, if you have a brake balance controller, i'm running 2 front and 8 rear on my silvia, together with lockable brakes, because abs is off. It's awesome and you can brake to make more degree in a corner..

And i use comfort, hard... S15 is 333bhp...

Try it!👍

KSL

How do you set your wheel to not do 900*? I drifted back in the GT3 days with the controller and Im pretty descent with it in GT5 but not doing so well with my DFGT wheel! The snap oversteer when you try to straighten out is killin meee!!1!

I'm also learning how to drift in GT5 (Belgium).
I like the autumn ring mini to learn the basics of drifting.
Plz add me on PSN: thibaultvdb and hopefully we can drift together sometimes, because my other friends really suck at it. Bye the way, I'm using a G27 racing wheel.

I'm also learning how to drift in GT5 (Belgium).
I like the autumn ring mini to learn the basics of drifting.
Plz add me on PSN: thibaultvdb and hopefully we can drift together sometimes, because my other friends really suck at it. Bye the way, I'm using a G27 racing wheel.

Added you

McLaren for learning to drift? I don't get this mentality at all >_>

Learning on a high powered car will only teach you how to slide and make you rely on always having easy power over to get the car sliding. If you really wanna learn how to drift learn on a lower powered car. I would highly recommend the Amuse S2000 Street Car, honestly any S2000 will drift great but I found the Amuse the easiest for me to learn on.

Stick with lower powered cars and learn weight transfer, and then decide if you wanna drift crazy overpowered stuff. I really don't understand why people want to drift cars that would never be drifted in real life, even though it's just a game it feels all wrong to me.

Edit: Read more...definitely don't want to be relying on the e-brake that much. E-brake is something that should be used situationally, not by default. I do however agree that Tsukuba is a good track to learn on. Autumn Ring is another good one, but the elevation changes add a level of challenge that could be discouraging to a beginner.

Regarding the sweet spot...this is going to vary from car to car and setup to setup, so be aware that just because you master one particular car doesn't mean you'll be able to hop into another and pull big zero-counter drifts all over everything. You will be able to drift more cars, but it's not going to be completely under control from the get go. As you learn the quirks and characteristics of your car you'll understand key steering points and how to initiate and exit with minimal steering input. You've mastered a car when you're glued to the racing line with minimal to no countersteer :)

Learning on a high powered car will only teach you how to slide and make you rely on always having easy power over to get the car sliding. If you really wanna learn how to drift learn on a lower powered car. I would highly recommend the Amuse S2000 Street Car, honestly any S2000 will drift great but I found the Amuse the easiest for me to learn on.

Stick with lower powered cars and learn weight transfer, and then decide if you wanna drift crazy overpowered stuff. I really don't understand why people want to drift cars that would never be drifted in real life, even though it's just a game it feels all wrong to me.

Thx for the tip.

Do you have a mic and are you willing to join me on lounge
and check some stuff out on me?

Thx for the tip.

Do you have a mic and are you willing to join me on lounge
and check some stuff out on me?

I don't have a mic proper but I have the PS3 Eye...so kinda? I'd be willing to drive with you at some point but I actually haven't done much drifting in GT5 yet, still waiting for my drift car to come around in the used lot :P

If you see a Lancer 1800GSR come around in yours and could gift it to me I'll get it tuned up and see what I can do :) I may not be the best drifter around but I do understand the theory and mechanics.

I'm usually free after 8ish on weekdays.

Also, I added some to the previous post since you replied, if you didn't catch it.

I don't have a mic proper but I have the PS3 Eye...so kinda? I'd be willing to drive with you at some point but I actually haven't done much drifting in GT5 yet, still waiting for my drift car to come around in the used lot :P

If you see a Lancer 1800GSR come around in yours and could gift it to me I'll get it tuned up and see what I can do :) I may not be the best drifter around but I do understand the theory and mechanics.

I'm usually free after 8ish on weekdays.

Also, I added some to the previous post since you replied, if you didn't catch it.

I see a lancer evo III GRS ?

Something for you?

Good thread. I got a DFGT a few months back (used a gamepad from GT1-GT5P). Didn't bother learning to drift on GT5P cuz I knew the physics were probably gonna be different on GT5.

I see a lancer evo III GRS ?

Something for you?

Not the Evo, just the old plain little Lancer 1800GSR, from before the Evo existed :) It's my drift car of choice, I took a liking to it in GTPSP. Little thing really surprised me and matched up well with my driving style. It's boring to look at and underpowered but I just love the balance of it. I've been trying to find one in my used lot before I get busy drifting in GT5.

I agree with TakeshiSkunk. It's best to start with a lower powered car. Maybe not as weak as a Morris Minor haha! I learned to drift in a 350Z. Great balance and good power. It had enough power to learn all the techniques of drifting.

You definitely don't want to rely on the handbrake. Car control is where it's at, and the handbrake is not ideal in every situation. Again I agree with TakeshiSkunk. The handbrake is a good skill to learn and can be very useful, but it should not be relied on.

For all you beginners (not saying I'm a pro) I recommend experimenting with different techniques of losing control. Thrash your car around a bit and learn the vehicle's balance and dynamics. Then try to lose control and regain control. After you have learned how to break out the back end and regain it, you can start putting that to use in the turns.

For tuning, I would say that if you are having trouble drifting a stock setup, add a little camber in the front and a smidgen of toe-in in the rear.

If anyone wants to drift, add me. (PSN: Condogg) I'm not that good but I am enjoying the heck out of my little Levin. Can't get enough of that car!

Agree with Flamex, just adding my 2 cents.
Its all about corner entry, knowing your track and finding that
right amount of throttle for a drift and counter steer.

You can almost feel it in your hands with a G25. Its not easy, I'm still
spinning my cars, then just get back on track and I try again.

I drift with the M3 E92, C63 AMG and recently with 458 Italia.
Currently no internet at home so no PSN. I've not yet experimented
with the toe and camber angles, however there are some tips in the APEX
magazine.

Happy drifting.

Drifted on the nurbergring, some hard stuff, got like 50 000 points,
its a long track obviously - more always possible.

Oh and try this, enter a corner slow then push hard on accelerator
and turn, the car should start sliding and then feel the car in your
hands and counter steer accordingly, then straighten upon exit of
corner.

i love how forza fans play now gt5 haha xD

Yea thanks for that Help Flamax.

i was a gt fan since 1999 and i love it ... but forza is fun too its mainly the crap system that its on that sucks. i think GT and Forza are both good games... they should team up and make a game together! hehe

Edit: Read more...definitely don't want to be relying on the e-brake that much. E-brake is something that should be used situationally, not by default. I do however agree that Tsukuba is a good track to learn on. Autumn Ring is another good one, but the elevation changes add a level of challenge that could be discouraging to a beginner.

If you don't have power to push through the corners then you will die out. You don't know the importance of e-braking when we're talking about a beginner here. 0/10 troll harder :)

Also, by your logic, you're saying tuned drift cars with high HP (in D1GP) is "crazy overpowered". You certainly don't know the tracks.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back