Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
I was hoping for HDR support i know its only cometic and payback has bigger issues to deal with but still. Every modern racer today
supports HDR.

I assume you aren't on PC?

If you have the GPU to handle it, you can downscale the resolution and achieve similar resolution as 4K. Also programs like SweetFX and G.E.M. FX allow for endless tweaking of the color palette and contrast ratios. I've made some games look completely different using them.

I assume you aren't on PC?

If you have the GPU to handle it, you can downscale the resolution and achieve similar resolution as 4K. Also programs like SweetFX and G.E.M. FX allow for endless tweaking of the color palette and contrast ratios. I've made some games look completely different using them.

I'm on Xbox One X and Payback looks good, 1800p very sharp. However compared to Horizon 3 w/ native 4K and HDR, Payback doesn't look as vibrant.

^^^ I thought Payback supported 4K? Or are those videos of it I'm seeing from PC?

Yeah, an upgrade would be nice for those who would make use of it. Until I upgrade my PC I'm just happy to have playable framerates with settings dialed down. :(

I bought Payback in the EA sale on the Playstation Store and so far it's been great fun, unlike the last several NFS games I tried.
However, like in all racing games I utterly suck at drifting - aside from brief slides around corners during racing or roaming - and as such I'm already stuck at the first proper drifting event (not the early tutorial, which I also had to do three times), Shift Lock.
I've had several tries but I'm still 12000 points short of the 36000 requirement. Drifts are easy enough to initiate - and obviously I did notice the tip about using nitro to lock the multiplier - but I just can't hold those drifts for any remotely decent scores. It's rare I even get into 2x multiplier for more than a couple of seconds.

Any hints here? It doesn't seem like it's possible to skip any event series if I want to progress in the story, so I guess there's no way around the drifting.
I'm using a Porsche 911 Carrera S (993). I've tried changing to the tuning to more drift angle and rear weight, but doesn't really do much for my points.

^^^
I quit playing NFSU2 for the same reason :(
This time I did better and I hope there are no more drift events past chapter 5. I am already having a hard time here with runner /cop chase events...
I use a wheel and just tap the brakes to initiate the drift if speed is not enough then its a matter of countersteering and gas pedal. I guess it's harder to balance countersteering and gas with the keyboard since it's on-off, but I also know most ppl play these games with kbd at least on the PC.
Just dont rage and keep trying :) have fun with other events!

P.S. I could be the only one here who
- uses a wheel
- plays on hood camera
- totally turns off music (I love the engine sound, and I need to know when to shift without looking at the rev counter) :)

^^^ Here's some well-meaning suggestions on drifting:

1) Make sure you are in a car that's good for drifting. All of the cars handle differently and the best car for you can only be discovered through trial and error, or watching YouTube videos that comment on particular vehicles. My first drift class car was the 350Z and I was very average. Not terrible, but not great. Then I started using the old Nissan/Datsun 240Z as a drift car and now I'm drifting like a boss. Nothing changed other than the vehicle.

2) Get a controller (jstef). Yes, I am on PC, and no, most PC gamers don't play games like this with the keyboard. I use an XBox controller. You can't play a racing game very well with a keyboard. Feathering the throttle is a must on drifting and you need the analog trigger on a controller to do it well.

3) Hood camera is great when you are driving straight. Hood camera sucks when you are trying to line up a good drift angle. Use one of the 'behind the car' cameras to drift.

4) Some cars respond better to hard-braking to initiate a drift than they do the E-brake. Figure out which works best for your car. Typically for long sustained, high-speed drifts, it's better to initiate the drift by using the brake pedal. For tight-turn drifts, the E-brake is more effective. As you are going into your slide start countersteering the opposite direction.

5) Practice on the dirt (someone else gave me this suggestion a while back). It's easier to slide around on the dirt and get a feel for it. There are also free-roam drift zones on the dirt roads that are easier to hit the target scores on.

Hope these suggestions help guys!

^^^ thankyou for all tips! the primary reason I am on PC and not console is the controller. I never got used to it since the times of the first playstation and I think I never will :( . Thats too bad because I am stuck with the PC monitor. I Play mostly FPS with kbd+mouse but I can't play any race game without wheel/pedals!

About the camera, if I accidentally switch view, I'm guaranteed to drive off a cliff :) Again it's just a matter of habit.

I can drift just enough to pass events, but a drag car won't drift at all :( I am struggling with a drag event that climbs a hill, the car hardly turns without e-brake. Drag events suck when they are not on a straight, just like runner events offroad :ouch:

^^^ You mean of the first three cars Helvetica? I'm not sure... I chose the VW Golf as my starter car which is front wheel drive. If the GNX isn't good then that only leaves the S2000 as a choice.

If you are just asking for any Tier 1 car that you can purchase quickly in the game, I would suggest the BRZ. I made mine a Race class but it drifts reallllly well. Probably the easiest car I have to drive in the game so far - it's a race car but drifts as well as my 350Z which I made a drift car!

^^^ You mean of the first three cars Helvetica? I'm not sure... I chose the VW Golf as my starter car which is front wheel drive. If the GNX isn't good then that only leaves the S2000 as a choice.

If you are just asking for any Tier 1 car that you can purchase quickly in the game, I would suggest the BRZ. I made mine a Race class but it drifts reallllly well. Probably the easiest car I have to drive in the game so far - it's a race car but drifts as well as my 350Z which I made a drift car!

Personally I'd stick with the GNX as a starter until you win a few races. Saying that the Subaru WRX for early off roading is probably the best. Use the winnings to pick up a better car, maybe a fox body mustang or MX 5.

^^^ LOL that was funny.

This is just the first of more updates for the "Alldrive" mode, so don't everyone get their knickers in a bunch too soon. Yes, I understand (and agree) that this should've all been worked out from the get-go, but the most important thing is that it is getting worked out.

The biggest benefactors to the latest update are the Youtubers like Crowned and JvyPennant who collaborate with other gamers to produce short videos. They have been largely absent from Payback because of the lack of this ability. Now they can get back to doing what they do best. In the meantime, the casual gamers who are obsessed with ranks and virtual merit badges will have to wait a little longer.

I've won all the beginner racer events except the last one. I can't drift the GNX (level 180-ish) around corners to keep my speed up. Any tips on converting it more to a drift car? I can't seem to slide the rear out. It feels like Ghost took two steps back on upgrading and handling custmzation. I mean, NFS 2015 everything was so much more organized. I just need to adjust to the new systems. Thanks for your help!

..that's a frighteningly accurate depiction, sadly. I mean, airfield drag racing with randoms *can* be fun..

..for about five minutes, best case scenario. And that's literally all that ever happens. Which is a shame because I'm fairly certain Hangout has the potential to be great in that Burnout Paradise kind of way when with friends and/or other likeminded.

Unfortunately, the only Paradise-esque thing anyone ever does is the totally-not-a-Takedown totally-not-griefing bit.

Well, this is just depressing. Glad I wasn’t looking forward to online freeroam.

Kinda what I said about expecting more in a free roam than 8. Regardless of form they have an opportunity to use the map and expand on what they have.

I've won all the beginner racer events except the last one. I can't drift the GNX (level 180-ish) around corners to keep my speed up. Any tips on converting it more to a drift car? I can't seem to slide the rear out. It feels like Ghost took two steps back on upgrading and handling custmzation. I mean, NFS 2015 everything was so much more organized. I just need to adjust to the new systems. Thanks for your help!

Have a look at the quick change menu (down on the d pad) IIRC there is an option to reduce downforce. drop it a bit, and keep the tc off. Next you need to try to balance the grip when going round the turn. you want to be on power as much as possible (but slow it for the entries of tighter turns). Ultimate goal is slow in, fast out (off gas or brake going in, on gas through and out). Use a squirt of NOS on the exit and heading onto a straight. Be smoothe and try to keep momentum. Finally try to get the gnx up to over 200 as that'll help.

Also note that to go fast you try to keep drifting to a minimum. Even in 2015 if you were sending the rear sideways, especially onto the straights you were killing speed (the drift maintained speed in a turn up to a point). You have to use brakes and lateral motion sparingly and only use the drift to keep the nose of the car pointed along the next straight and to stop yourself from going headlong into a barrier.

Last edited:

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the GNX as a race car. I do own it, but only as a drag car.

This is only a suggestion... Without knowing what you are already doing/have tried, and also these things are done so much by feel and it's harder to put the exact movements into words. But maybe try this:

When you approach a corner with a slower car (in this case level 180-ish) if you try to rip the E-brake as soon as you enter the turn, you will kill your momentum and the car doesn't have enough HP to recover quickly.

Instead, try entering (and cutting close) the corner at full speed which will cause your car to understeer. When you start to understeer, rip the E-brake to swing the back end around. Do this momentarily, just enough to get the car pointed into the turn. Because you entered the corner faster, your momentum will hopefully not take as big of a hit and you will be able to recover speed more quickly. This will probably put you further on the outside of the turn/corner/curve than you would like, but once you straighten up, use the NOS to recover what you lost in terms of the best-line.

Usually you will be able to pass other racers at the entrance of corners because they will be braking for the turn while you will be rocketing past them like a madman. You will subsequently some lose ground with the other racers on the opposite end of the turn, but again, you should be able to work your way forward with each successive corner.

** Edit: Just saw Cudweiser's suggestions on the same problem.... a totally opposite idea LOL... try both and see what works better, you've got nothing to lose!

I found the difficulty setting in the menus. Easy makes the the drifting point requirements a lot more manageable even with my complete lack of drifting skill and grace.

Edit: And damn do I suck. Just noticed my drifting score tends to end up at around half of my autolog rival at the end of events, on the now easy difficulty setting. Every other even I've beat them easily on medium.

Last edited:
^^^ I assumed that the difficulty settings only affected the capabilities of your opponents, and maybe increased/decreased the amount of traffic on the roads(?). Makes sense that it would change the scoring thresholds too though.

@cudwieser: Your suggestions on car handling are definitely spot-on for real-world racing and even for most racing games. I feel like NFS '15 and Payback still reward drift-racing more so than precision racing. When I try to "grip-race" real-world style, I lose more often than win. Drifting corners just seems faster, which is why I suggested what I did. Anyways, just wanted to drop that disclaimer in there..

^^^ I assumed that the difficulty settings only affected the capabilities of your opponents, and maybe increased/decreased the amount of traffic on the roads(?). Makes sense that it would change the scoring thresholds too though.

@cudwieser: Your suggestions on car handling are definitely spot-on for real-world racing and even for most racing games. I feel like NFS '15 and Payback still reward drift-racing more so than precision racing. When I try to "grip-race" real-world style, I lose more often than win. Drifting corners just seems faster, which is why I suggested what I did. Anyways, just wanted to drop that disclaimer in there..
No probs. You are right about the drift bias of Nfs 15 and payback, but the general rules still apply. If you are simply correcting course on throttle you lose next to no speed. Even a mild drift you are fine in this game, what I was saying was if you are trying to drift you will lose speed. If you are going into the corner and pointing the nose to the apex of the turn and kicking the rear out to keep the nose pointed in the right direction (apex, then along the straight) and powering through you should lose little speed in this game, but if you are keeping the nose of the car pointed at the apex even after you clear it and you will lose speed as you aren't projecting the car in the right direction (along the straight).

P.S a change of terms should really be used. In a speed race you will be powersliding, which differs from drifting as drifting also incorporates use of braking to maintain the sideways motion, especially at lower speed and off throttle.

PPS Arcade games simply use real world ideas in an exaggerated and/or assisted manner. The basics still apply even if the game physics are more forgiving. :)

I found the difficulty setting in the menus. Easy makes the the drifting point requirements a lot more manageable even with my complete lack of drifting skill and grace.

Edit: And damn do I suck. Just noticed my drifting score tends to end up at around half of my autolog rival at the end of events, on the now easy difficulty setting. Every other even I've beat them easily on medium.

You'll find drifting a little easier with a more powerful car. Also keep doing the first drift event in the game until you get momentum and flow down and learn use of the brakes and throttle to keep a drift going in a straight line. Soon you'll be able to drift the entire course. Once you can do this every course will be a piece of cake :)

thanks fellas! All good advice, I really appreciate it! Side note, the Xbox One X version does appear to be native 4K but I experienced some decent slowdown during a few races. : /

So, I played the Freeroam for a bit, an behold I found some players outside the airport.
These guys were just cruising down the highways:
FjGIdK3.png

And these two were doing drag races... but on the bridge and not the airport hehe.
jDWYW1l.png

^^^ Officially it's Logitech G29 ang G920.
Aren't these wheels are a bit too expensive for an arcade-style driving game?
I don't think you will be able to use the clutch anyway.
I managed to get my old Logitech Driving Force Pro to work, with FF.

^^^ Officially it's Logitech G29 ang G920.
Aren't these wheels are a bit too expensive for an arcade-style driving game?
I don't think you will be able to use the clutch anyway.
I managed to get my old Logitech Driving Force Pro to work, with FF.
It's not too expensive if someone already owns the equipment.

^^^ Yea the same goes for my Ferrari :) .
OP asked "Should I get PC or PS4 versions?" so I assumed he doesn't own one
What does that even mean? Not sure how that is related in anyway.

Yeah, the pc or the ps4 versions of the game. He asked if it worked with his wheel, and asked what platform to get it on. They were separate questions. There is no PC or PS4 version for this wheel, its all the same.

Free roam cops, new events and the R34 can finally go up to 399 - Great update overall! 👍

Apparently the Skyline is the first car to make have its level uncapped. Looking forward to seeing what other 299 cars follow suit (BMW M3 E46 + E92 and Ford Mustang GT, I'm looking at you!)

Latest Posts

Back