Need for Speed: Rivals

While I don't like most EA games nowadays, there might be a slight chance this game could do well.

Wait, DLC's. FFFUUUUU---!!!

But going back to the topic. I really hope that we could see a Carbon clone with multiplayer (yes I am aware Carbon did have online capabilities but I only had it for the GameCube, which was singleplayer, obviously). Carbon was really fun.

thanks for the post man! I'm getting so hype over this. Redwood County seems like it could be a new version of Seacreast, which would be a very good thing. I can't wait for more info!

Agreed, I'm really looking forward to this NFS. NFS MW 2012 was fun yes, but wasn't really... Up there. This one is looking really good, especially the fact that Ferrari is making a return! :D

I wonder if there is going to be a hometome part in Redwood County, just like in NFS III HP. 👍

Agreed, I'm really looking forward to this NFS. NFS MW 2012 was fun yes, but wasn't really... Up there. This one is looking really good, especially the fact that Ferrari is making a return! :D

I wonder if there is going to be a Hometown part in Redwood County, just like in NFS III HP. 👍
Please. Rocky Pass was so much better :P

In all honesty, I welcome the return of the ability to play as the police as that was something I missed in MW2012. I do agree with some people that so far this game looks like a re-hash of HP2010.

As for customization, I think this is a tough one. This is just my opinion, but I suspect part of the reason we likely won't see the level of customization we saw in the Underground games is because EA is trying to stay with the times. What I'm trying to say is that I believe some of the aspects of car customization we saw in the UG series has grown dated (such as under glow) and I think EA will stick with the current trends in car customization, which is a bit more subtle than the early Fast and Furious style cars we saw in the early 2000s.

Assuming this theory is true, a part of me still thinks EA should give the freedom for people to do whatever they want with their cars, even if the gaudiness and tackiness go way off the scale.

To me, this looks mostly like EA has run out of ideas for good games. The arcade racer of the decade (HP2010) returns in new surroundings, with a new game engine, and pre-order bonusses.. This is not what it takes to bring me back into NFS, and it looks like I never will. Good thing I still have HS, HP2 and one-and-only Most Wanted. Once upon a time, a company called EA Games made great games...

If this is closer in spirit to NFS Road Challenge and the two Hot Pursuits, then I'm in. It looks stunning.

...weather conditions constantly change as you race and chase in snow, hail, rain, dust storms and heavy fog.

Can you imagine driving at over 320 kph and, suddenly, hail the size of golf balls starts pounding your car? That would destroy your windshield pretty fast. Also looking forward to the dust storms, I wonder if you'll be able to lose the cops in one due to low visibility.

P.S - I want to also correct my previous post. The name of the location in which the game takes place is Redview County, not Redwood. Redwood is the name of a city or town in Redview County.

Can you imagine driving at over 320 kph and, suddenly, hail the size of golf balls starts pounding your car? That would destroy your windshield pretty fast. Also looking forward to the dust storms, I wonder if you'll be able to lose the cops in one due to low visibility.

Wondering if they have snow tires :lol: or it maybe a bit tricky driving in the snow.

What are the odds that Ferraris will be next-gen exclusives?

They already announced that it is for PC (Physical/Digital), Xbox and PS3. No plans on PS4.

Judging by the teaser it is going to be another a la Ridge Racer no skill drift fest like HP 2010. I hope I am wrong though, I've played NFS since TNFS on PSX, the original Hot Pursuit being my all time favourite (still play it from time to time). NFS started to go way down hill with the Underground series with one peaking moment which was the original Most Wanted. Then Criterion joined the picture and became the cancer of NFS with their Autolog crap, no manual transmission (really... in a racing game?!), Ridge Racer physics, no custom race, and fully focused on multiplayer which I don't like.

Single players have been fully forgotten about and ignored, with every new NFS announcement i'm hoping for a proper NFS racer with point to point races, custom races, High Stakes like customisation and physics, and hundreds of events. But with Criterion in the picture and present day EA who destroyed a lot of my favourite franchises (C&C as one) looks like it is not going to happen :(

Judging by the teaser it is going to be another a la Ridge Racer no skill drift fest like HP 2010. I hope I am wrong though, I've played NFS since TNFS on PSX, the original Hot Pursuit being my all time favourite (still play it from time to time). NFS started to go way down hill with the Underground series with one peaking moment which was the original Most Wanted. Then Criterion joined the picture and became the cancer of NFS with their Autolog crap, no manual transmission (really... in a racing game?!), Ridge Racer physics, no custom race, and fully focused on multiplayer which I don't like.

Single players have been fully forgotten about and ignored, with every new NFS announcement i'm hoping for a proper NFS racer with point to point races, custom races, High Stakes like customisation and physics, and hundreds of events. But with Criterion in the picture and present day EA who destroyed a lot of my favourite franchises (C&C as one) looks like it is not going to happen :(

Multiplayer gaming is the way forward. It is what the majority of players partake in and are not interested in single player anymore. Yeah it sucks for you that that's the case. However, they cannot keep releasing the same thing every year. They had to mix it up a bit, make things different. That's what Criterion did. Criterion made 2 good games in my opinion. Not the greatest but still good.

To this day, Criterion have still made the best game I have ever played and ever will play. That's Burnout Paradise. I don't think they can ever make a bad game. Just games that some people don't like because they're too busy living in the past.

Multiplayer gaming is the way forward. It is what the majority of players partake in and are not interested in single player anymore. Yeah it sucks for you that that's the case. However, they cannot keep releasing the same thing every year. They had to mix it up a bit, make things different. That's what Criterion did. Criterion made 2 good games in my opinion. Not the greatest but still good.

To this day, Criterion have still made the best game I have ever played and ever will play. That's Burnout Paradise. I don't think they can ever make a bad game. Just games that some people don't like because they're too busy living in the past.

Agreed. What I disliked most about Most Wanted was that the single player and online portions of the game were entirely separate - what you did in each had no correlation to the other, making offline pretty much pointless, save for the trophy-hunters in their never-ending fruitless quest. Add to that repetitive offline gameplay and I'm wondering why the disc is still sitting next to my PlayStation. :(

Bacon

I agree that multiplayer is the way forward, I personally play Counter Strike and BF3 on my PC. But how hard is it to add a custom race option to a racing game? It adds a ton of replay value. Also I respect Criterion for the Burnout series, and just like you I loved Burnout Paradise, I completed it 100%.
But what Criterion did to NFS is unbearable to me, sure they brough the series "back to its roots", but completely ruined it with the amature drift physics which have no place in an nfs game. When I tried HP2012 for the first time, not only did I want to puke at the handling and nitrous on super cars, I immediately turned the game off the moment my GT3 RS shifted into 7th gear... Criteron further converted the series into Burnout with the god awful Most Wanted "remake", which is not worthy of the Most Wanted title, infact it's an insult to the original's fans like me, nitrous and huge jumps with exotic real life cars? *pukes*
I guess I should let go of my hopes of ever seeing a proper new back to the roots NFS, with Criterion in charge of the series. I'm waiting to see what Driveclub has in storage, because it seems to have the potential to be what NFS once was.

@lfs, HP3 drifting wasn't no skill. When I played no one drift right & I trashed them. There was a way to drift the car so it would exit the drift at the same speed you entered it. About 99% of the people didn't know how to do that.

I agree that multiplayer is the way forward, I personally play Counter Strike and BF3 on my PC. But how hard is it to add a custom race option to a racing game? It adds a ton of replay value. Also I respect Criterion for the Burnout series, and just like you I loved Burnout Paradise, I completed it 100%.
But what Criterion did to NFS is unbearable to me, sure they brough the series "back to its roots", but completely ruined it with the amature drift physics which have no place in an nfs game. When I tried HP2012 for the first time, not only did I want to puke at the handling and nitrous on super cars, I immediately turned the game off the moment my GT3 RS shifted into 7th gear... Criteron further converted the series into Burnout with the god awful Most Wanted "remake", which is not worthy of the Most Wanted title, infact it's an insult to the original's fans like me, nitrous and huge jumps with exotic real life cars? *pukes*
I guess I should let go of my hopes of ever seeing a proper new back to the roots NFS, with Criterion in charge of the series. I'm waiting to see what Driveclub has in storage, because it seems to have the potential to be what NFS once was.

Burnout Paradise had **** single player. It was the multiplayer that made the game for me. It's what Criterion tried to replicate with MW but didn't quite manage it. The multiplayer was good, but not something I can play for hours everyday. Criterion created their take on Most Wanted. They were not going to copy the original Most Wanted because that would be pointless. They wanted to make it their game. Which is why there are massive jumps and nitrous in it. They left the Criterion impression on the game that brought many more fans to the series who do like that kind of stuff. If you don't like it, then don't play it.
@lfs, HP3 drifting wasn't no skill. When I played no one drift right & I trashed them. There was a way to drift the car so it would exit the drift at the same speed you entered it. About 99% of the people didn't know how to do that.

Easy to play, hard to master.

I afraid to say this is true, and as the latest interview says, the single player is pretty much online all the time so any of your friends can join your single player campaign, both working through the story (all optional obv) similar to Dead Island where you can set it to Open Public etc. seems ok as long as the single player mode is looonnnnnnggggggggg enough. Not the Run size as i finished that game in 6 hours, with breaks. Wven online should be like shift, classes, ranks, good selection and even a champion mode which i liked doing. None of this open world laggy stuff unless i select join open world or something.

Really? Maybe it is just me and my years of experience with driving sims and arcade racers, but I remember playing HP2010 with a keyboard on PC and doing it with my eyes closed.

Any way, lets wait and see what Rivals has to offer, but I am not holding my breath.

Stupid weapons and takedowns again

Most of the time I just did race events with no weapons.

BUT!

The cops vs racers events with spike strips and turbos and blockades was really fun. I thought the "weapons" were great insofar as nothing was terribly broken and they made cops v racer events more exciting.

as long as we have options to turn them on/off I'm fine with their inclusion.

edit:

also agree with the comments on drifting being easy to do hard to master. I was actually really good at NFS:HP and had some of the top times I could find on the internet. I hit a barrier until I started watching Lancasts videos and was watching how he would drift. That took my game to the next level. Also meter management is a nice addition to driving games, gives you a little something extra to play with and creates a bit more depth.

I didn't ever beat Lancasts times though... he's too fast. Look up his Ultimate Road Car videos... i'm still like 5 sec off to this day :(

Last edited:
also agree with the comments on drifting being easy to do hard to master. I was actually really good at NFS:HP and had some of the top times I could find on the internet. I hit a barrier until I started watching Lancasts videos and was watching how he would drift. That took my game to the next level. Also meter management is a nice addition to driving games, gives you a little something extra to play with and creates a bit more depth.
I got so good at the game I can literally drift the Audi TTRS going straight. The one race that was Carrera vs TTRS I have a time on it so good I think it might be the WR.

Must be a delay at the stores, Cannot pre-order yet. Tried today and got a it's not in our system yet. :banghead: Probably the last game I pre-order for the PS3.

Better off getting it for next gen. I honestly believe these games that will be both gen will suck/be glitchy on this gen consoles because they spent all their time refining them for next gen.

So I posted something in the MW thread first about Rivals, and i get no credit? geez you guys are cool. This NFS BETTER have balanced cars, the weapons better not be game changing like the EMP was in HP2010. There better be no Viper/Striling Moss spam. All of you BETTER HAVE SOME VARIETY IN YOUR CAR CHOICES. NOT 20 people in the Aventador.

Back