Need Help Tuning? Ask Here!

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 299 comments
I beg to differ. More skill? How come? Putting in numbers takes the same amount of effort not skill. I've been around before the speedtest on GT5 so I know what tuning without it means. It does make it more fun, I can't argue with that. Online is always more fun than offline. The speedtest only takes the factors that you can't influence out of tuning a car. Like internet speed (ping), the TV/Monitor and other hardware you're running, "reaction time"...

I never understood why it would take more skill to tune a car against friends, or randoms, online, because there are so many variables that can decide if your tune is fast or not. Hypothetically speaking, what if you had a better tune than me, a faster one, and when we raced, I would tree you, and you would not win. Someone else would then do the same thing to you, and you'd lose. What does that mean? Did your tune lose, or was it your tree? It takes more luck to tune a car (fast) online, not skill.

You still can tune by yourself on GT6, just like on GT5, by going against your ghost. And even that is unreliable because there is very little chance that your revs will bounce the same amount as the run before (on GT5 that was a very relavant factor on speedtest, that's why times varied a lot from run to run on the same tune).
Agreed Janco! Even to get a perfect time launch was a pain in the arse sometimes. Some cars you would have to try 10 or more times just for a perfect time launch and sometimes it ran better with just a black screen launch.

If you guys want speed test so much, go ahead - knock yourselves out when/if it comes. I won't use it and won't buy it if it's DLC. The only way I would consider getting it is if it has some sort of online mode so two or more people can race at the same time. As it is, offline physics are different than online so, regardless of what you tune on the test track, it will react unexpectedly when you use it online.

I beg to differ. More skill? How come? Putting in numbers takes the same amount of effort not skill. I've been around before the speedtest on GT5 so I know what tuning without it means. It does make it more fun, I can't argue with that. Online is always more fun than offline. The speedtest only takes the factors that you can't influence out of tuning a car. Like internet speed (ping), the TV/Monitor and other hardware you're running, "reaction time"...

I never understood why it would take more skill to tune a car against friends, or randoms, online, because there are so many variables that can decide if your tune is fast or not. Hypothetically speaking, what if you had a better tune than me, a faster one, and when we raced, I would tree you, and you would not win. Someone else would then do the same thing to you, and you'd lose. What does that mean? Did your tune lose, or was it your tree? It takes more luck to tune a car (fast) online, not skill.

You still can tune by yourself on GT6, just like on GT5, by going against your ghost. And even that is unreliable because there is very little chance that your revs will bounce the same amount as the run before (on GT5 that was a very relavant factor on speedtest, that's why times varied a lot from run to run on the same tune).

The way I see it is if you get treed online while tuning a car and you within one to one and a half car lengths of that person than your tune is good. I've had instances where I gave a friend a base tune for a car and I ran that same tune against him and I would tree, he'd be about a car length to a car and a half behind me. If he were to tree me it'd be the same effect. I test the same way when I'm trying to get the best out of a car. This may not be the best thing to do but it works for me and I have 225 tunes that were made doing this and they are far from slow, not to brag or anything. Speed test does require some skill and I agree with you but I also agree with shake, as he said the physics offline are different than online, cars trap 1mph faster offline because they grip better, a great example of this better grip is that the ACR wheelies offline but it doesn't online. I would like to have a speed test because I'd like to know what cars run together but at the same time I don't want one because I know what it did to GT5, a lot of people will just tune for that and nothing else and soon enough they wont play online anymore and teams will fall because of it. It's scarce enough and pickings are slim as it is so this will just ruin it. If it comes out I'll probably use it but I'll still tune for Indy. This is just my input on the subject and is in no way intended to start drama so everyone who reads this please don't take it that way. Here's a smiley :)

If you guys want speed test so much, go ahead - knock yourselves out when/if it comes. I won't use it and won't buy it if it's DLC. The only way I would consider getting it is if it has some sort of online mode so two or more people can race at the same time. As it is, offline physics are different than online so, regardless of what you tune on the test track, it will react unexpectedly when you use it online.
To be honest not everyone is a fan of the speed test I get that. We know you are not a fan of it for your reasons but no one is telling you that you have to get it or that it is a better way to tune. I for one enjoyed it for leader board challenges. Most of TDS used it for the same purpose, we challenged each other with different cars to see who could do better. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and what you have said is valid for reasons you see fit.

By this logic, everyone tuning in GT6 right now is just lucky and has no ability to tune whatsoever. I'm glad you guys think so lowly of your tuning ability.
I never said that all tuning takes is luck, I just corrected your sentence into what I thought fit best. And that comma is there for a reason. I meant to put it this way: It takes "more luck" to tune a car (fast) online, not "more skill" (which is what you chose for your sentence when, to my understanding, comparing tuning with and without speedtest). I was in a hury and that second 'more' got lost somewhere. Hopefully it makes more sense now.

I never said that all tuning takes is luck, I just corrected your sentence into what I thought fit best. And that comma is there for a reason. I meant to put it this way: It takes "more luck" to tune a car (fast) online, not "more skill" (which is what you chose for your sentence when, to my understanding, comparing tuning with and without speedtest). I was in a hury and that second 'more' got lost somewhere. Hopefully it makes more sense now.
My original statement mentioned nothing about luck. I said that tuning online involves skill and tuning with friends; no luck is needed when you already know what you're doing. The only guessing was the trial and error period during the first month of GT6, when we were comparing old tunes to the new physics.

In a sense, the speed test is a driving aid for drag racing like TCS & SRF are for circuit racing. People that can't tune very well need it to make their car faster, and those that tune well still use it for comparing times or pushing their car to the limits. I'll admit that I'm not a great circuit racing, and use TCS and driving line when I need it, so I guess I can't knock on people who want the speed test for their various reasons.

My original statement mentioned nothing about luck. I said that tuning online involves skill and tuning with friends; no luck is needed when you already know what you're doing. The only guessing was the trial and error period during the first month of GT6, when we were comparing old tunes to the new physics.

I don't know if I can't get my point across or you just didn't read both of my comments.

Your statement obviously said nothing about luck. That's why I corrected it into something which was in my opinion better fitting.

I don't know why you would say that tuning with friends takes more skill than tuning with speedtest. You're very lucky if you can get the fastest tune while tuning online... Not so with the speedtest. That is why I said that getting the fastest tunes online involves luck. Because of so many factors that can effect your perception of the current tune (mostly people treeing you or you treeing them).

If you still don't get what I'm trying to say, please PM me.

Hi there, i don't suppose you could do a tune for me? It's the Vauxhall Astra Touring car, 400bhp 1200kg with no nitrous, sports soft tyres and 1 abs the only aid

Hi there, i don't suppose you could do a tune for me? It's the Vauxhall Astra Touring car, 400bhp 1200kg with no nitrous, sports soft tyres and 1 abs the only aid
You're looking for a drag tune? I can tell you right now you'll want racing soft instead of sports soft. If you're looking for a drag tune that works on circuit, we could probably help with a transmission but drag suspension isn't good for cornering.

Hi everybody, I'm trying to build a replica of the 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT Drag Pak. The real car has the 8.4 liter Viper V10 and 845Hp and weighs in at 1450 KG. My car in game in 12 HP shy at a full tune, but it is close enough. I am just looking for some advice in adjusting the car to make it faster. Here is the tune that I have come up with so far.
F/R
Ride Height: 85/160
Springs: 8.30/19.00
Comp: 1/10
Ext: 10/1
Anti-Roll: 1/7
Camber: 3/0
Toe: 0/+.30
Racing Brakes:10/10 if that makes any difference

LSD: 5/60/5

I have found the ratios for the real car and would like to keep them, but I will change them if it is really needed.
I have already adjusted the final to the max Final 5.000

With stage 3 Weight Reduction and Carbon Hood and Windows, I have 57KG @ +50 for a 53:47 Distribution

I am looking to use the car in casual rooms at Indy and am currently able to trap 148MPH at the shadow.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
I have found the ratios for the real car and would like to keep them, but I will change them if it is really needed.
I've found that, when building street-accurate muscle cars on GT6, you can use replica transmissions but need to adjust the final gear for the best launch. If you can pull off a 1st to 2nd gear quickshift with the stock transmission, it will make it the most competitive with other drag tuned challengers. Racing soft tires will work best, obviously, but you can attempt sport soft or racing hard for realism.

Thanks guys, also what is the point of the rear toe, some of the people that i have talked to use quite alot of toe on both the front and rear, but no one really had an explanation for why it made the car any faster.

Goodmorning guys....i just ask a question.A few days ago i find a thread about suspension,how to tune the car depenting the weight,length and the width.something with mathematics.i hope you understand what i try to find!!!!:banghead:

Oddly enough, try slamming an Enzo and flipping around 3.4, I made my front and rear spring rate about half and it launches the same, no over revving, it trapped 176 - 177 on good runs and 175 when I over Rev, it still pulls to 190. -. 41 front toe. I'll provide the flip I used 3.418

I've noticed that so many people mess with dampers/roll bars and the LSD. I mean, it's not hurting your car... But why are you guys doing it?
It does ab-so-lutely nothing.

I'm still running typical GT5 settings on my FF's, but the rear end can get a little outta shape if I have to make a minor steering adjustment while the fronts are still barking up. In this instance I've found roll bars very helpful in negating the dreaded wobbles.
Certainly not a requirement for a 4WD or low HP cars though.

I'm still running typical GT5 settings on my FF's, but the rear end can get a little outta shape if I have to make a minor steering adjustment while the fronts are still barking up. In this instance I've found roll bars very helpful in negating the dreaded wobbles.
Certainly not a requirement for a 4WD or low HP cars though.
Last time we were talking about FFs and the dreaded wobble, I slamed my Hondas(lower ride hight=less suspension travel=less body roll. Also took shakes advice and use RS in the rear. No more spinning out trying to get to the strip and no more death wobble.

Back