New F1 Qualifying Format for 2016.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 377 comments
I know that I was being facetious when I suggested Joker Laps, but it does work for rallycross. The biggest challenge would be that circuits would need to build an extra loop, and in many cases, that simply isn't possible.
And where the two circuits rejoined you would potentially have cars at very different speeds racing for position, almost like another pit exit. In rallycross you'd get a love tap from a rival as you slide onto the normal track, in F1 you'd do an Alonso or Webber and fly into the air.

And where the two circuits rejoined you would potentially have cars at very different speeds racing for position, almost like another pit exit. In rallycross you'd get a love tap from a rival as you slide onto the normal track, in F1 you'd do an Alonso or Webber and fly into the air.

Exactly, it'd be a fun idea for Nascar or WEC, extremely dangerous and almost guaranteed to cause massive debris for F1.

For more than ten years now I've missed the one-lap qualifying system.
Formula 1 qualifying was at it's best between 2003-2005 in my personal opinion.

It was great to get to see each car an equal amount of time, each driver only having
that one chance to set a lap. No room for mistakes or you would start at the back.
You only had a single lap to put a time on the board. It was exciting.
It was also very interesting to compare the drivers on track. How they differed in their
driving techniques and how they coped under pressure to perform.

I remember Barrichello being one of the first (if not the first) to set a time at Silverstone
and nobody could improve on his time all session.

Yes there were a few instances where drivers starting first or last was hampered by
the weather. It didn't happen often though and I thought the weather affects was good
since everybody started a season with a clean sheet anyway and everybody had to adapt
to the changes.

Other than the weather sometimes playing tricks it was a great qualifying system.
You could compare teammates more easily, you got to see not only Ferrari, McLaren and
Williams qualify but also Minardi, Arrows and the others at the back got their share of TV
exposure as well.

I hope the one-lap, one chance qualifying system returns sooner rather than later.

It sucked for those at the circuit though. Instead of seeing most cars doing upwards of 10-12 laps in the session they saw one, with large intervals.

There is also the problem of determining running order. If they do it in the same order as the championship standings then more often than not you're going to end up with the same grid anyway, since the fastest drivers will run when the track is most rubbered in (if it doesn't rain). Same problem if you do it based on the last race position. If you propose a reverse order the top teams are going to say no. If you determine it with an earlier lap you have the manipulation shenanigans.

Even if it just returned for Q3 you've the same problem of running order, you'd probably have to base it off Q2 in one way or another and they'd all be open to manipulation.

The biggest problem for a shootout system covering the whole grid is it's very time consuming. It's been mentioned plenty of times, but a top 10 shootout for Q3 can work and wouldn't take much more time than the current system.

Q1 and Q2 would be no different (to 2015, that is), and the Q3 running order would be be based off of the Q2 times with the slowest running first.

The top 10 shootout has worked in V8 Supercars for the longest time. Using that as a basis, the system has many advantages:
  • Each car in the top 10 gets more TV exposure (sponsors will like this too)
  • Currently fans at home only see the lap of the first driver out, this solves that issue
  • Spectators at the track enjoy it (I can vouch for that)
  • It's more likely to mix things up
  • We could have something like this happen at Monaco
Outside factors such as weather can make things a bit unfair, but it's not a common occurrence. When it happens in V8 Supercars it's just bad luck, there's no whinging and complaining from teams, drivers or fans. Aside from that, there's no real disadvantages I can think of.

Exactly, it'd be a fun idea for Nascar or WEC, extremely dangerous and almost guaranteed to cause massive debris for F1.
If only there was a way to guarantee that cars could safely rejoin the circuit off the racing line. You know, just like a pit stop.

Look at Barcelona - it would be possible to run one car around the outside of Turn 9, and one down the inside.

I also like the way you assume that Formula One drivers would constantly wreck, but that WEC and NASCAR drivers would be just fine.

If only there was a way to guarantee that cars could safely rejoin the circuit off the racing line. You know, just like a pit stop.

Look at Barcelona - it would be possible to run one car around the outside of Turn 9, and one down the inside.

I also like the way you assume that Formula One drivers would constantly wreck, but that WEC and NASCAR drivers would be just fine.

Not that Nascar or WEC wouldn't wreck, but slight contact and a little bumping won't completely destroy the car like in F1. Thinking harder about it it sounds like an awful idea for everything but Rallycross.

and the Q3 running order would be be based off of the Q2 times with the slowest running first.

It's more likely to mix things up

Unless there is a change in weather during Q3 or drivers were badly out of place in Q2 I don't see how. The track would progressively get better and better until it's at its best for the last driver, in today's world being either Hamilton or Rosberg. The chances are then obviously very high they'll set the best time.

You could do it in reverse order with the fastest going first but then you have two problems, the anti-climax of the best drivers going first or the shenanigans in Q2 of the fastest cars trying to get through as far down as possible.

Unless there is a change in weather during Q3 or drivers were badly out of place in Q2 I don't see how. The track would progressively get better and better until it's at its best for the last driver, in today's world being either Hamilton or Rosberg. The chances are then obviously very high they'll set the best time.
The order could be mixed up by drivers under pressure from only being able to produce one lap, as opposed to now where they can set two, even three. In V8s, the last out doesn't always get pole. Admittedly, the first few drivers out don't usually get pole but they aren't really in with a shot without following drivers making a mistake.

The order could be mixed up by drivers under pressure from only being able to produce one lap, as opposed to now where they can set two, even three. In V8s, the last out doesn't always get pole. Admittedly, the first few drivers out don't usually get pole but they aren't really in with a shot without following drivers making a mistake.
That's why my preferred system would be four periods of qualifying with the final period being a one-lap shootout where the drivers are given every opportunity - ultra-soft qualifying tyres, radical engine maps, etc. - but are under enormous pressure to deliver one perfect lap on demand.

I know we all knew this was going to happen... but the FIA have now formally approved a return to the 2015 quali format.

I know we all knew this was going to happen

I didn't! Can't take anything for granted given the mess of the past few weeks :P

And I'll bet they'll try at least one more crazy system before the year is out too; my concern is that the teams will figure out the extra tyre choice freedom sooner rather than later (as they have done every year with the Pirellis), strategies converge and the good races we've seen so far will disappear again, prompting more political games/lunacy.

I didn't! Can't take anything for granted given the mess of the past few weeks :P

And I'll bet they'll try at least one more crazy system before the year is out too; my concern is that the teams will figure out the extra tyre choice freedom sooner rather than later (as they have done every year with the Pirellis), strategies converge and the good races we've seen so far will disappear again, prompting more political games/lunacy.

I'm amazed they are experimenting on F1, they have GP2, GP3.5 and other formula type, why not try the qualification system there and see if it works, then if it's positive, transfer it to F1. It's just show that the people that are at the head of F1 atm have no idea what they should do.

Back