New F1 Qualifying Format for 2016.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 377 comments
No, they want bums on seats in every session. They feel that the old system of qualifying wasn't exciting enough to attract audiences, but you'll note that they never gave any explanation as to what they would consider "exciting".

Like I said following Melbourne qualifying - I think the FIA (or at least the promoters) had grand visions of drivers racing one another to the line in a desperate bid to avoid elimination ... which clearly didn't happen.
Probably because new qualifying means new things. And anything new means interesting for the audience either good or bad ways.

Why? He doesn't work for them and they don't work for him.

Unlikely, and it's not as though they have a choice - it's mandatory for the drivers' employers (the teams) to make them available for interviews... because it suits Bernie.

Why isn't it, if I take your point correctly?

Pinnacle of what then?

He asked you to explain why it isn't the pinnacle.

First you have to say why you think its a pinnacle, I don't think it
is the pinnacle of Motorsport per se... do you?

I think its the pinnacle of single seat racing yes... now someone tell why they think its the 'pinnacle' of motorport...

I think its the pinnacle of single seat racing yes... now someone tell why they think its the 'pinnacle' of motorport...

You implied that people do think it's the pinnacle of motorsport. My question to you (before you doubled back) was effectively "why isn't it the pinnacle of motorsport?".

You think it's the pinnacle of single-seaters but not of motorsport-in-general, why is that?

Last edited:
Yes rattled a few cages... no supprise on the internet though...

I said there are some who only watch F1 and like to claim its the pinnacle of Motorsport, i personally for sorry for them as beyond F1 and the hype you have Moto GP, BTCC, LMP, GT, super bikes , Aussie V8s...etc etc etc.... If F1 just went away tomorrow i'd not be that bothered and its become an utter joke and compared to Moto GP its an embarrassment quite frankly IN MY OPINION.....

Yes rattled a few cages... no supprise on the internet though...

I said there are some who only watch F1 and like to claim its the pinnacle of Motorsport, i personally for sorry for them as beyond F1 and the hype you have Moto GP, BTCC, LMP, GT, super bikes , Aussie V8s...etc etc etc.... If F1 just went away tomorrow i'd not be that bothered and its become an utter joke and compared to Moto GP its an embarrassment quite frankly IN MY OPINION.....

I'm not sure if you realise what the meaning of the word is. F1 is the pinnacle of 4 wheel motorsport, there is nowhere above it to go on the pyramid in terms of performance, exposure, fame, money etc. Moto GP is the pinnacle of two wheels for the same reason.

F1 can be a joke and still the pinnacle of motorsport so long as there is nowhere to go above it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you realise what the meaning of the word is. F1 is the pinnacle of 4 wheel motorsport, there is nowhere above it to go on the pyramid in terms of performance, exposure, fame, money etc. Moto GP is the pinnacle of two wheels for the same reason.

F1 can be a joke and still the pinnacle of motorsport so long as there is nowhere to go above it.

Lol... that's no different to saying Justin Beiber is the pinnacle of music... lol... and you forgot to put "IN YOUR OPINION" as I and many many others don't call F1 the pinnacle of Motorsport buddy... its all subjective, I watch F1 and always will but noway is it IMO that relevant anymore to vast majority of Motorsport fans.

Lol... that's no different to saying Justin Beiber is the pinnacle of music... lol... and you forgot to put "IN YOUR OPINION" as I and many many others don't call F1 the pinnacle of Motorsport buddy...

Pinnacle

The highest or culminating point, as of success, power, fame, etc.:

But please, tell me how BTCC is a higher point of success, power or fame for drivers than F1. Like I said, being the pinnacle of motorsport doesn't mean the best. You won't find me arguing F1 isn't a shambles right now, but it's still the pinnacle of four wheeled motorsport. There is nowhere higher to go for a driver.

Seriously?

Because "Justin sells a lot of records and is like famous like yeah, like theres nowhere to go after that like yeah, he is the bestested ever singer yeah get me innit"

It sounds as pathetic as that... its clear your an F1 fan to the point nothing else matters but we are all allowed opinions.. F1 is by it very own admission in dire straights and I agree with the drivers.

No one says Justin Beiber is the best though....

There's no racing series above F1. What part of pinnacle do you not comprehend?

Pinnacle

The highest or culminating point, as of success, power, fame, etc.:

But please, tell me how BTCC is a higher point of success, power or fame for drivers than F1. Like I said, being the pinnacle of motorsport doesn't mean the best. You won't find me arguing F1 isn't a shambles right now, but it's still the pinnacle of four wheeled motorsport. There is nowhere higher to go for a driver.

Your opinion though, I'd say all the guys in Renault Clios are aiming for BTCC or WTCC etc... some drivers just love Touring cars or want to drive Aussie V8s and that even before you get to the guys in Moto 3 who aren't looking at the pinnacle as being F1 they are looking at Moto GP!!! lol....See now....? lol...

No one says Justin Beiber is the best though....

There's no racing series above F1. What part of pinnacle do you not comprehend?

Read above.... you think guys in Moto 3 want to be F1 drivers?!! lol...whats their pinnacle F1?? lol...

Pinnacle of anything is subjective... see?

Are the guys in Formula 3 looking to make it to MotoGP as well?

How does that make sense, I'm saying not every person thinks F1 is a pinnacle of Motorsport, so its a pinnacle to say an F3 driver or GP2 driver but I don't think Matt Neale or Jason Plato are at home crying every night because they aren't some how at the pinnacle of Motorsport...they are at the pinnacle of BTCC...

"oh but, but fame innit, like, Lewis wearing gold chains innit doe, get me famous people innit da pinnacle innit boss"

Like i say, pathetic..

BTCC isn't even the pinnacle of touring car racing.

And none of this has anything to do with F1 qualifying so I'm not going to continue this discussion.

Your opinion though, I'd say all the guys in Renault Clios are aiming for BTCC or WTCC etc... some drivers just love Touring cars or want to drive Aussie V8s and that even before you get to the guys in Moto 3 who aren't looking at the pinnacle as being F1 they are looking at Moto GP!!! lol....See now....? lol...

It's not my opinion, it's the literal definition of the word when used in the context of motorsport. There is no series faster around a circuit, there is no series with more money paid to drivers or money around in general. There is nowhere to go above F1, that is why it's the pinnacle. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp. It has nothing to do with how good the product is right now.

You're right, some drivers have no aspirations to drive single seaters and see WTCC or V8 as the top tier for their career. That doesn't mean they're at the top of the F1 pyramid, it means they're happy at the level they are on. Nothing wrong with that, and nobody said every driver had to have aspirations of being at the pinnacle of motorsport OVERALL. Which is what F1 is.

Music is different, there is no ladder structure to climb, no series with different performance. Success is measured solely by how many records you sell, people are not pinnacles of music.

As for bikes they're a different category entirely, hence why I said Moto GP is the pinnacle of 2 wheels for the exact same reason F1 is the pinnacle of 4. Where do you go after Moto GP on the 2 wheel pyramid?

It's not my opinion, it's the literal definition of the word when used in the context of motorsport. There is no series faster around a circuit, there is no series with more money paid to drivers or money around in general. There is nowhere to go above F1, that is why it's the pinnacle. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp. It has nothing to do with how good the product is right now.

You're right, some drivers have no aspirations to drive single seaters and see WTCC or V8 as the top tier for their career. That doesn't mean they're at the top of the F1 pyramid, it means they're happy at the level they are on. Nothing wrong with that, and nobody said every driver had to have aspirations of being at the pinnacle of motorsport OVERALL. Which is what F1 is.

Music is different, there is no ladder structure to climb, no series with different performance. Success is measured solely by how many records you sell, people are not pinnacles of music.

As for bikes they're a different category entirely, hence why I said Moto GP is the pinnacle of 2 wheels for the exact same reason F1 is the pinnacle of 4. Where do you go after Moto GP on the 2 wheel pyramid?

Hang on but this is trash talk and just YOUR OPINION!! Stop stating it as fact!! F1 calls ITSELF the pinnacle of Motorsport, hell go to America and ask people about F1 and call it the pinnacle! lol...see what they say.. you call it the pinnacle because to you it is...that isn't a statement of fact its an opinion....

And MotoGP is still Motorsport as is Rallying etc..

It's like your arguing over what is the pinnacle of Football - Pinnacle of English Football? Premier League. Pinnacle of European Football? Champions League. Pinnacle of American Football? Super Bowl... :lol:

And after you have picked through all that, you still haven't argued over what is the pinnacle of Football...

It isn't set in stone what the pinnacle is, in the same way the career path to reach any level of motorsport is not defined. I don't think many drivers have gone from Formula Renault, to GP2, to Super Formula, to F1. DTM features too, and is Formula E above or below everything else?

Hang on but this is trash talk and just YOUR OPINION!! Stop stating it as fact!! F1 calls ITSELF the pinnacle of Motorsport, hell go to America and ask people about F1 and call it the pinnacle! lol...see what they say.. you call it the pinnacle because to you it is...that isn't a statement of fact its an opinion....

You're just not getting the basic concept of the word, so I'm done here.

It's like your arguing over what is the pinnacle of Football - Pinnacle of English Football? Premier League. Pinnacle of European Football? Champions League. Pinnacle of American Football? Super Bowl... :lol:

And after you have picked through all that, you still haven't argued over what is the pinnacle of Football...

It isn't set in stone what the pinnacle is, in the same way the career path to reach any level of motorsport is not defined. I don't think many drivers have gone from Formula Renault, to GP2, to Super Formula, to F1. DTM features too, and is Formula E above or below everything else?

Exactly..thank you.

You're just not getting the basic concept of the word, so I'm done here.

But if F1 and its fans call it the pinnacle then it must be? the word pinnacle was around before F1 no?

If someone thinks F1 isn't the pinnacle why do you have to feel like changing my mind? Does it matter that much to you? Jeez...

Meanwhile here I am wondering what in the world this conversation has to do with the new qualifying system.

What conversation?

quite frankly IN MY OPINION.....
and you forgot to put "IN YOUR OPINION"
subjective
we are all allowed opinions
just YOUR OPINION!!
that isn't a statement of fact its an opinion

If something is subjective/opinion that absolutely means it can't be discussed, and you definitely can't try and establish a consensus where most people agree on a "correct" answer, even if it isn't an objective one.

So don't worry, there's no conversation a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ going on here. :)

What conversation?

If something is subjective/opinion that absolutely means it can't be discussed, and you definitely can't try and establish a consensus where most people agree on a "correct" answer, even if it isn't an objective one.

So don't worry, there's no conversation a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ going on here. :)

Oh dear. Your post is the pinnacle of this thread..

Oh dear. Your post is the pinnacle of this thread..
Are you going to help this thread get back on topic or continue to drag it even further off the tracks? I hate mini-modding, but I feel it's necessary here if we don't want this thread locked.

I'll start: the new qualifying system is conceptually broken. There's an old adage we have here in the States (not sure if it's present elsewhere) that goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The old qualifying system was fine; why change it?

Back