New F1 Qualifying Format for 2016.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 377 comments
Oh dear. Your post is the pinnacle of this thread..

Sorry, I just find the attitude that if something is subjective then you can't reach a collectively-established answer very irritating, and I needed to vent a wee bit. :)

I'll start: the new qualifying system is conceptually broken. There's an old adage we have here in the States (not sure if it's present elsewhere) that goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The old qualifying system was fine; why change it?

The beginning of this thread seems a very long time ago now:

"This sounds like a pretty good idea!"

"If it doesn't work, they can just go back to the old system!"

"This isn't stopping the strategy group from tackling the real problems the sport faces!"

Oh dear.......... :lol:

Yes it rubbish, when the timer clicks down from 90 secs and the car is in pit lane with no way of getting out what is the point any drama of the ticking clock is pointless and it becomes a joke, drivers walking down to get weighed as the clocks ticks, really what were they thinking?

MotoGP qualifying is awesome, but i imagine they would be nervous copying it as after all F1 is the pinnacle of life..:sly:

MotoGP qualifying wouldn't work in Formula One - it would lock half the grid out of any chance at a decent starting position.

According to Autosport, the teams are going to reject the aggregate qualifying proposal.

Indeed.

Formula 1's teams appear poised to reject the aggregate qualifying system in Thursday's vote, Autosport understands.

The proposal for the new format came following a meeting of the 11 teams, FIA president Jean Todt, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery in the paddock ahead of last Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix.

An evaluation process of the system has since been carried out, but sources have confirmed to Autosport the teams are against the suggested set-up.

They are not alone as some drivers have also voiced their objections.

Four-time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel led the chorus of disapproval by describing aggregate qualifying as "a **** idea", adding that "it's time to go to the circus".

1361286604.jpg
How to sort Formula 1 qualifying

Fans have also added their voice, with numerous polls showing even the current unpopular elimination format to be ahead of the aggregate proposition.

The idea would involve drivers' two best laptimes being combined to reach an aggregate, and would apply to all of Q1, Q2 and Q3.

Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo stated: "Qualifying is one lap, that one perfect lap."

Aggregate qualifying was previously introduced in 2005, with one lap conducted on low fuel on Saturday, and the other on Sunday with a race-fuel load.

It proved a disaster on that occasion and lasted only six races before it was scrapped.

The teams are pushing for a return to the qualifying method that was in place from 2006 to 2015, with the aim for evaluations to be conducted over the remainder of this season before the potential introduction of a new format in 2017.

A heavily political battle is being waged on this divisive topic between the teams in one corner, and the FIA and Ecclestone in the other.

Todt and Ecclestone are of the opinion there is no going back to the former system, and have so far refused to put it back on the table to be voted on.

They are of the belief that as the teams voted for the current knockout scheme then they have to live with it, or come up with an alternative recommendation.

At this stage, with deeply entrenched positions on both sides, it appears elimination qualifying will be in place for the Chinese Grand Prix, unless one side or the other makes a late shift in position.

Formula 1, where those in control act like toddlers.

EDIT: The teams respond

Formula 1 teams have united and demanded that the sport returns to the 2015 qualifying format with immediate effect.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-demand-return-to-2015-qualifying-format-685351/

Last edited:
So, real talk. What exactly can the teams do here? Can they refuse to race or even decide not to take part in qualifying but still race?

So, real talk. What exactly can the teams do here? Can they refuse to race or even decide not to take part in qualifying but still race?
Because Practice 3 is used to determine who is eliminated first if multiple cars don't set times when the clock ticks down, potentially the teams could all decide together to use FP3 as the grid and all sit in the garages for qualifying. That way, we still get a competitive grid set by fastest lap times, but the teams make their point.

Because Practice 3 is used to determine who is eliminated first if multiple cars don't set times when the clock ticks down, potentially the teams could all decide together to use FP3 as the grid and all sit in the garages for qualifying. That way, we still get a competitive grid set by fastest lap times, but the teams make their point.

That could happen indeed but with F1 you always get the feeling one or two teams wouldn't be able to resist putting themselves first and go out in quali anyway. And once one went out, the others would quickly follow whether they wanted to or not.

Whichever way it went it would be yet more bad press for F1. Hopefully they manage to sort things out like grown ups instead.

Who wants to volunteer to dive into the FIA sporting regulations and find out what happens if nobody posts a time in qualifying in a session that was flagged green and checkered?

Who wants to volunteer to dive into the FIA sporting regulations and find out what happens if nobody posts a time in qualifying in a session that was flagged green and checkered?

In terms of the grid, exactly what @Jimlaad43 said, it would be set by FP3 standings. In terms of repercussions the FIA could charge all teams with bringing the sport into disrepute which usually ends up with a big fine.

In terms of the grid, exactly what @Jimlaad43 said, it would be set by FP3 standings. In terms of repercussions the FIA could charge all teams with bringing the sport into disrepute which usually ends up with a big fine.
Yeah I looked, FP3 would be the grid.

35.1 During Q1, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107% of the fastest time set during that session, or who fails to set a time, will not be allowed to take part in the race. Under exceptional circumstances however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race.
Any driver accepted in this manner will be placed at the back of the starting grid after any other penalties have been applied.
Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner they will be arranged on the grid in the order they were classified in P3.

Finally.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-set-to-revert-to-2015-qualifying-format-685408/

F1 is set to revert to the 2015 qualifying format from the Chinese Grand Prix after the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone agreed to a request from teams, Motorsport.com has learned.

After an intense day of political intrigue, a breakthrough to solve the farce surrounding qualifying has finally been made.

Sources have revealed that following a letter from all teams requesting F1 immediately goes back to the 2015 system, it was decided by the FIA that there was no point in pursuing other options.

More to follow

--

I highly doubt that is the end of it though, they'll be pushing for new systems next year or even later this year I'll bet.

Official statement from the circus masters

At the unanimous request of the teams in a letter received today, Jean Todt, President of the FIA, and Bernie Ecclestone, commercial rights holder representative, accepted, in the interests of the Championship, to submit a proposal to the F1 Commission and World Motor Sport Council to revert to the qualifying format in force in 2015.

This proposal, if approved by the F1 governing bodies, will take effect as from the Chinese Grand Prix and will apply for the rest of the season.

Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone welcomed the idea put forward by the teams to have a global assessment of the format of the weekend for 2017.

http://www.fia.com/news/fia-and-fom-statement-regarding-f1-qualifying-format

Finally.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-set-to-revert-to-2015-qualifying-format-685408/

F1 is set to revert to the 2015 qualifying format from the Chinese Grand Prix after the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone agreed to a request from teams, Motorsport.com has learned.

After an intense day of political intrigue, a breakthrough to solve the farce surrounding qualifying has finally been made.

Sources have revealed that following a letter from all teams requesting F1 immediately goes back to the 2015 system, it was decided by the FIA that there was no point in pursuing other options.

More to follow

--

I highly doubt that is the end of it though, they'll be pushing for new systems next year or even later this year I'll bet.
We did it reddit!

I have the same feeling. But I guess agreement for a day or so, is better than no agreement. 👎👍

So, full review for 2017 ... how long will it be before Bernie revives his idea of shortcuts in the form of rallycross-style Joker Lap qualifying?

I dunno, he seems pretty fixated on the reverse grid/ballast/penalty sort of approach at the moment.

I know that I was being facetious when I suggested Joker Laps, but it does work for rallycross. The biggest challenge would be that circuits would need to build an extra loop, and in many cases, that simply isn't possible.

Latest Posts

Back