New Pagani Supercar - introducing the Pagani Huayra!

I've really come around to the styling. I like it a lot.

Pagani-Huayra_2012_1600x1200_wallpaper_18.jpg

Love how it looks there..

lalaurentide
This is one ugly expensive car, it is definitely the ugliest car per dollar. The C8 Laviolette will proudly surrender the title.

Agreed. The front looks like a whale shark and the rear is hideous. On a side note your avatar is orgasmic.

I'm surprised this thread isn't abuzz with the news!

Pagani
Earlier we saw that the Pagani Huayra may have used different tires for its Top Gear test that helped it run an ultra-fast lap time. After exchanging emails with Pagani all morning, they finally admitted they did use two sets of tires and they "reported Pirelli Pzero Corsa on our press release because we want, for communication reasons, to push them on the media."
That's right folks, the Huayra's Top Gear lap time was a farce as the car was riding on non-standard, and in fact custom treaded, R-compound street-legal race tires. But only for the lap. If any of you thought it's blazing fast time was suspicious, well, that's why. Pirelli doesn't actually sell the tire shown on TV - they're custom cut from Zonda R race slicks.

But at least Pagani owned up to it unlike Ferrari. It's just too bad they couldn't let the product speak for itself. I've lost a bit of respect for a small brand that made real competitors. I lost my respect for Ferrari a long time ago to the point I don't think I'd own one if I could.

Luckily for them, Top Gear can't expose them on TV, since they've got a full-hour special next week, and next week is the season finale.

I'm surprised this thread isn't abuzz with the news!

That's right folks, the Huayra's Top Gear lap time was a farce as the car was riding on non-standard, and in fact custom treaded, R-compound street-legal race tires. But only for the lap. If any of you thought it's blazing fast time was suspicious, well, that's why. Pirelli doesn't actually sell the tire shown on TV - they're custom cut from Zonda R race slicks.

But at least Pagani owned up to it unlike Ferrari. It's just too bad they couldn't let the product speak for itself. I've lost a bit of respect for a small brand that made real competitors. I lost my respect for Ferrari a long time ago to the point I don't think I'd own one if I could.
The only thing Pagani did wrong was lie & say they didn't use 2 sets. The lap time however, still appears valid because:

A) The tires are road legal.
B) Pagani says they will sell the car with the same tires in the track pack.

It's shady, but they covered their bases.

It's hard to excuse accuse somebody of cheating when there isn't exactly a rulebook to begin with. I don't think Top Gear ever set down a rules about tires other than they have to be road legal. Personally, I still think it's shady, but they didn't break any rules. It would be impossible to implement any kind of tire standard for the lap times, as every car has tires specifically sized, front and rear, and any change to that essentially changes the character of the handling, which therefore makes any kind of comparison moot anyways.

Now that this has happened, I'm afraid the legitimacy of the TG power laps will be thrown out the window, if it ever had any legitimacy to begin with. Every car maker will now send specially prepared cars with 'special' tires to run a lap. TG should not have let this happen.

On the other hand, maybe this will set in motion the realization that comparing race track lap times for road cars is ridiculous and road cars should be made to perform well and be entertaining in the real world and below the limit as opposed to on the race track, at and above the limit. Ironically, this seems to be Pagani's single best attribute.

Last edited:
Yea it's really not that big of a deal, especially if the very same tires will be available to buyers...

I'll get up in arms when real news surfaces.

Given Top Gear disallowed the Zonda R's lap time (and the FXX) as they consider it a semi-racing car, I think it's relevent if the Huayra was running the same tyres as the R... effectively slick tyres, with a few hand cuts to help get a bit of heat in them wth less downforce.

Those tyres would never be considered street tyres, and iust aren't suitable for road use... A Pilot Cup is borderline, these are much more extreme.

Given Top Gear disallowed the Zonda R's lap time (and the FXX) as they consider it a semi-racing car, I think it's relevent if the Huayra was running the same tyres as the R... effectively slick tyres, with a few hand cuts to help get a bit of heat in them wth less downforce.

Those tyres would never be considered street tyres, and iust aren't suitable for road use... A Pilot Cup is borderline, these are much more extreme.

Seems Pagani beg to differ,they seem to be just about legal.

I'd also bet this is not the first time a car maker put on grippy tires for the Top Gear track lap time.Surely another Italian car maker does the same :sly:

The tires are legal (Huayra). The Zonda R as a car is not street legal.

They would be street legal in the US. Here, all we require are two circumferential grooves, like so:

bfg_gforce_r1_ci2_1.jpg

My issue is that they're not standard equipment and though two members have stated Pagani is offering them with some sort of sport package, a press release for which has not been shown, Pirelli doesn't sell the tires through any American store or on their own website in various countries.

Many high-end car manufacturers use special-compound versions of off-the-shelf tires - Porsche, Corvette, and Ferrari are a few. The thing is, I can go to Tire Rack and buy that special version for that particular car because the tire maker offers it for sale. That's not the case with the Pagani tires. They're completely custom order, not officially sold by Pirelli anywhere else.

In that light they're even less acceptable than Pirelli's actual race tires, from tarmac slicks to rally tires, because I can buy those from Pirelli and have them shipped to my door.

They would be street legal in the US. Here, all we require are two circumferential grooves, like so:

bfg_gforce_r1_ci2_1.jpg

My issue is that they're not standard equipment and though two members have stated Pagani is offering them with some sort of sport package, a press release for which has not been shown, Pirelli doesn't sell the tires through any American store or on their own website in various countries.
That may due to the fact that the Trofeo tires used are basically Zonda R tires cut to pass legal requirements. And I wouldn't expect those tires to be for sale.

As for the sport package, it was unveiled by Pagani last year. It's called the Track Pack & the car at Geneva has the pack on it.
image00072.jpg

Sorry, but this isn't just a matter of Pagani fitting a slightly different tyre... this is a racing tyre on a road car...

Standard fit Huayra tyres – pic from a car at the factory…

185112_10150961580358566_2129611842_n.jpg

Tyres used on the Huayra to set the Top Gear Lap…

huayratire12e.jpg

The original tyre the above were cut from…

zondaslick.jpg

The Huayra's TG Power Lap tires carry no identifying branding other than "Pirelli" and are 265/645-19 and 325/705-20. This sizing is specifically stated by Pirelli as for track-only use. Also backed up by the presence of slick tire treadwear dots in the exact same pattern as Pirelli racing slicks. These size racing slicks are unique to the track-only Zonda R.

This is a full slick racing tyre with cuts - Trofeo's are nothing like this tyre. Pirelli Trofeo - what Pagani are claiming they will fit as part of the track pack…

Pirelli_P_Zero_Trofeo_a.jpg2

I get the feeling that the next car Lambo lets Top Gear borrow for a power lap will have turbochargers fitted.

Jeremy: This isn't stock.
Lamborghini: Si si si!

I don't see any problem with Pagani fitting the best tyres they offer. But running it with bespoke tyres that they don't sell is daft. I understand they are not the only manufacturer to resort to that sort of thing, but I hoped Pagani would have been above that.

It's not a valid lap in my eyes, but that doesn't mean much I guess.

I don't see any problem with Pagani fitting the best tyres they offer. But running it with bespoke tyres that they don't sell is daft. I understand they are not the only manufacturer to resort to that sort of thing, but I hoped Pagani would have been above that.

More than that the problem is tires will rule the tgtt board. Before the cars were on a supposedly fair ground (though the track itself benefits some cars more than others and weather plays a part), but now we'll see suvs beating evos.

More than that the problem is tires will rule the tgtt board. Before the cars were on a supposedly fair ground (though the track itself benefits some cars more than others and weather plays a part), but now we'll see suvs beating evos.

Do we even know what tyres other cars on the board was fitted with?

The tire issue with Top Gear will simply just make the Power Lap even less relevant. If Top Gear lets Pagani get away with this, we all know that Ferrari, McLaren, and all the other hyper car makers will pull the same trick; hand cut racing slicks and questionably say that they are road legal tires and can be ordered with the car.

Still can't see the issue, this tyre comes with a future track pack so a track pack Huayra will achieve this time.

That is of course if Pagani are to be believed.
Plus the fact that Top Gear lap time.board means squat.

If they give it a nicer front end, to befit the roadster aesthetic, I might grow to like it.

Latest Posts

Back