New physics (update 1.31)

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 594 comments
Spa 1 hour is an ice rink. IM tires last 1 lap tops even with water on the track. Wets last longer but there again...ice rink.
My issue with that one is the pit lane exit on a drying track.

You have to switch to dry tyres earlier now as the wets & inters will burn up. No problem with that, but you have to drive through the wet area to get back on the narrow dry line. On slicks it's just a death sentence - I'm immediately aquaplaning and spinning, even with max TC and feathering the throttle.

Can anyone else get the tyres to lock and go red under non ABS braking? I get massive screech, telemetry app shows wheel lock but there's no temp gain. Whereas power wheelspin or cornering too fast gives the expected temp rise. Weird.

Why would locking the brakes heat the tires? You're skidding on one part of them so if anything I would think they would lose overall heat.

Why would locking the brakes heat the tires? You're skidding on one part of them so if anything I would think they would lose overall heat.
I think because heat spreads and that one part of the tire is getting extremely hot. Burning, even. But I'm no expert in the conductivity of rubber.

They deform more this way and deforming something causes heat, then by not roling but having the same contach patch sliding you are only heating a single spot and prisoning the air around cant be used for cooling the tyre .

In real life the part being skidded would get very hot but the rest would stay at normal temp or even cool down a bit as its not being used for a few seconds.

In previous GT games the tyre indicator went red under lockup, and I think in GT6 someone showed that if you rolled the car forward slowly afterwards, the tyre indicator went red-green-red as the hotspot rolled around again and again.

Maybe GT7 is an average temp over the whole outer surface? Even so, if a lockup heated 1/10 of the tyre to 100*C I'd think the average would be bent upwards by 4 degrees or so.

Even with ABS braking the tyre should be stretched a bit, its weird that cornering forces seem to heat them so well but braking doesn't.

The new update was better overall I think for realism but it's completely undone the balance in GR.3. I don't race much in GR4 but I used to be able to rotate different cars and be competitive. Now I can only ever use the 911 as it's clearly faster than other cars I try. Road Atlanta seems pretty geared towards the GTR and the 911. As did Watkins Glen. As did Laguna Seca. Even the RX Vision seems unviable. There's a few cheeky drivers that are at the top of the leaderboards with the occasional random car but overall the balance is pretty out of whack. 3/3 races now where I set the fastest lap in the 911 and the other cars I try don't even get close.

The new update was better overall I think for realism but it's completely undone the balance in GR.3. I don't race much in GR4 but I used to be able to rotate different cars and be competitive. Now I can only ever use the 911 as it's clearly faster than other cars I try. Road Atlanta seems pretty geared towards the GTR and the 911. As did Watkins Glen. As did Laguna Seca. Even the RX Vision seems unviable. There's a few cheeky drivers that are at the top of the leaderboards with the occasional random car but overall the balance is pretty out of whack. 3/3 races now where I set the fastest lap in the 911 and the other cars I try don't even get close.
They probably had to reset the BoP along with the new physics, so hopefully adjustments are coming in the next patch.

My issue with that one is the pit lane exit on a drying track.

You have to switch to dry tyres earlier now as the wets & inters will burn up. No problem with that, but you have to drive through the wet area to get back on the narrow dry line. On slicks it's just a death sentence - I'm immediately aquaplaning and spinning, even with max TC and feathering the throttle.
In my days of winning that race with a DeLorean I decided it was best not to hit the gas til after the first dogleg. Very few cars can take that under hard acceleration. I find sometimes it's overall faster just to take the 3 second penalty and blast out of the pits at full bore.

The new physics are absolutely awful. Spa 1 hour is an ice rink. IM tires last 1 lap tops even with water on the track. Wets last longer but there again...ice rink. And whatever bug causes your car to stop spinning facing backwards more often than not is back.
Humble suggestion: I found that with the new physics I've had to up my TCS, possible you are driving in the heavy rain with TCS 0? If so, you will slide slide slide

The new physics are absolutely awful. Spa 1 hour is an ice rink. IM tires last 1 lap tops even with water on the track. Wets last longer but there again...ice rink. And whatever bug causes your car to stop spinning facing backwards more often than not is back.
I used to be able to win that race in any number of cars on any difficulty, blazing out 27 laps in some of them. Now I can barely keep up on easy.
I was considering the PSVR2, but not now, not for such a broken game. My opinion of GT7 is now one star if that. It would be different if we knew from the get go it was tough as nails like the original Crisis Core or E.T., but one month it's super easy, the next month it's just absurd. There needs to be some consistency.
I've got two cars left to buy ATM for a total of 1.8 million. If I'm to keep playing past that, it better cough up a Martin invite, otherwise that's it for me until they undo the mistakes they made this last time around. And yes, that includes the brake zones, at this point they are worthless save for a reference point like the track markers.
This update sucks.
lol what is the only answer

I used to be able to win that race in any number of cars on any difficulty, blazing out 27 laps in some of them. Now I can barely keep up on easy.
I was considering the PSVR2, but not now, not for such a broken game. My opinion of GT7 is now one star if that. It would be different if we knew from the get go it was tough as nails like the original Crisis Core or E.T., but one month it's super easy, the next month it's just absurd. There needs to be some consistency.
I've got two cars left to buy ATM for a total of 1.8 million. If I'm to keep playing past that, it better cough up a Martin invite, otherwise that's it for me until they undo the mistakes they made this last time around. And yes, that includes the brake zones, at this point they are worthless save for a reference point like the track markers.
This update sucks.
You're definitely in the minority.

1 lap..? Maybe the problem is with how you drive? I just did 10 laps with IMs in this race, 5 of which were wet, 2 semi wet / not raining and 3 completely dry. And it was not like an ice rink. I used TCS 0 and ABS weak.

Time here is sped up 24 times so 10 laps means HOURS of tire life.

Last edited:
1 lap..? Maybe the problem is with how you drive? I just did 10 laps with IMs in this race, 5 of which were wet, 2 semi wet / not raining and 3 completely dry. And it was not like an ice rink. I used TCS 0 and ABS weak.

Time here is sped up 24 times so 10 laps means HOURS of tire life.
As someone very fast, I'm going to assume you're also very good at the game :)

Based on that, can I ask, do you find driving style appreciably influences the rate of tyre wear? As in, does smoother driving result in less wear? So smoother steering inputs, brake application, throttle application etc. (in GT7 I mean, obviously!)

My assumption being you're probably able to be a lot more consistent than the average player, so would be able to better compare how a smoother style works

Last edited:
As someone very fast, I'm going to assume you're also very good at the game :)

Based on that, can I ask, do you find driving style appreciably influences the rate of tyre wear? As in, does smoother driving result in less wear? So smoother steering inputs, brake application, throttle application etc. (in GT7 I mean, obviously!)

My assumption being you're probably able to be a lot more consistent than the average player, so would be able to better compare how a smoother style works
I would have to say yes, smoother inputs should result in less tire wear. Excessive wheel spin on corner exits, locking the tires when breaking and high speed cornering beyond the tire limit (or turning the wheel too much) definitely wears the tires more. The less tire squeal you hear the better. Obviously, the more you push, the more your tires are going to wear too. The key for optimal tire wear and speed is to drive at the absolute tire limit but not beyond that.

Last edited:
Anyone have frame drops in the two old 60fps modes available?
Is there any solution?
Not sure if this is what fixed it but I was having some severe stuttering in the game when the 120hz option was set to "automatic" instead of "off" on the PS5 settings.

Not sure if this is what fixed it but I was having some severe stuttering in the game when the 120hz option was set to "automatic" instead of "off" on the PS5 settings.
I assume that by setting 120hz to Automatic in the Ps5 menu you have activated the 120fps in the game which significantly reduces the resolution and therefore you do not have stutters.

I assume that by setting 120hz to Automatic in the Ps5 menu you have activated the 120fps in the game which significantly reduces the resolution and therefore you do not have stutters.
No, you got me backwards. It was on automatic before and I got the stutters, I put it on off afterwards and the stutters disappeared. I have a 60hz monitor so the 120hz mode never should have applied (since it doesn't for other games).

My only guess is that since GT is one of the few games that changes settings on the fly, having it on Automatic meant it was constantly trying to switch to the 120 mode and failing to or something. After turning it off I haven't experienced any of the severe stutters.

I still face stutters even after keeping 120Hz mode off. My TV is 120Hz so there is no "automatic" option available for me, just "on" and "off". Since the stutters came with this 1.31 update, I am hopeful that they will be gone in a future update.

Seems they’ve dialed back free wheel movement when hitting objects. Before the update if you let go of the wheel and hit the wall when using a direct drive wheel you’d get a quick jolt from the steering wheel like you would get playing Asetto Corsa, now you barely get anything. I understand it improves customer safety, but it’s a shame we can’t opt to leave it on. Letting go of the wheel while driving on a straight doesn’t seem to give me the crazy oscillation in the Tomahawk either.
I’m still not totally sold on how the force feedback force/weight changes between H, M and S tires across tiers. It feels like they’ve neutered a lot of the wheels overall.

Humble suggestion: I found that with the new physics I've had to up my TCS, possible you are driving in the heavy rain with TCS 0? If so, you will slide slide slide
I have always adjusted driving assists as necessary. Usually I run TCS 1 and dial it up when the rain comes depending on the car. It's the same for any other video game, strategy changes based on what's available and what challenges I face. It may be lack of a neutral zone means use of screen wrap or under siege from Traveler 59 warrants building several Slingshots it equipping my aircraft with guided rockets.
In real life with decent tires I can put 400 HP to the ground in a downpour and maintain traction with no input from TCS. My IRL vehicle is in GT7 and the GT7 version doesn't even have realistic settings for it, let alone handling. It's probably immaterial since Gran Turismo is simply a video game, but what does matter is the game's rules keep changing. That's frustrating. Between the cost of the game and the console alone one can sink a lot of money into something that should be enjoyable. I don't find relearning how to drive every month fun.

Can anyone else get the tyres to lock and go red under non ABS braking? I get massive screech, telemetry app shows wheel lock but there's no temp gain. Whereas power wheelspin or cornering too fast gives the expected temp rise. Weird.
I've had the wheels lock and slide with abs on in greasy and wet conditions. It's actually quite realistic from my perception of other titles and studying real world driving of GT3 cars etc.

I've done a bunch of tests at my go to tracks.

I REALLY hate the new ABS/braking physics. The rears only lock in FWD front engine cars. Why is that the only category of cars for which the behavior survived? With other cars if you carry too much speed you're going off the track and there's nothing you can do about it. Braking adds more understeer and lifting off only slows you down without adding any more rotation through weight shift or pointing the nose down. No mid engine car has a neutral balance or adjustability mid corner. It's either massive understeer or you're going too slow.

It's so frustrating. You learn to brake in a straight line in real life to avoid the rears locking and turning you the other way. With the new physics/abs I'm braking in a straight line to avoid snap understeer. It's more similar to old GT physics and a step away from games like AC.

The only upside is the rears are more controllable with the power on (unless there's a sudden camber change, after which you'll still get a small snap). That may be down to them finally making the throttle somewhat linear instead of 90% throttle at 20% input which had been the case since GT Sport. Mclaren F1 is actually a little pleasant to drive now and feels more like it does in other sims.

R3V

I REALLY hate the new ABS/braking physics. The rears only lock in FWD front engine cars. Why is that the only category of cars for which the behavior survived? With other cars if you carry too much speed you're going off the track and there's nothing you can do about it. Braking adds more understeer and lifting off only slows you down without adding any more rotation through weight shift or pointing the nose down. No mid engine car has a neutral balance or adjustability mid corner. It's either massive understeer or you're going too slow.

It's so frustrating. You learn to brake in a straight line in real life to avoid the rears locking and turning you the other way. With the new physics/abs I'm braking in a straight line to avoid snap understeer. It's more similar to old GT physics and a step away from games like AC.

The only upside is the rears are more controllable with the power on (unless there's a sudden camber change, after which you'll still get a small snap). That may be down to them finally making the throttle somewhat linear instead of 90% throttle at 20% input which had been the case since GT Sport. Mclaren F1 is actually a little pleasant to drive now and feels more like it does in other sims.

Are you on a pad or wheel?

I combated this problem by recalibrating my pedals to where I’m only getting 100% braking if I’m putting g 100% power into the pedal. It took a bit of getting used to, but in the end I gave me more modulation.

Of course YMMV depending if you have a load cell or not

When I'm understeering I've learned to do the absolute opposite to what feels natural and that's to lift off or partially lift off and I've found that in all my scenarios of driving this is keeping me on the black stuff.

I mean if I just miss the braking point by 50 feet then it's crash regardless :)

But if I'm just a little too hot it works for me.

Everyone is different etc though.

Totally agree. Have no idea why or what PD were thinking when they decided to screw with the GT cars. The 911RSR has always been famous for its sure footedness and ability to exit corners (stable and fast) thanks to the cars fabulous dynamics and years of pure engineering wizardry from Porsche. In one foul swoop... PD have utterly destroyed the RSR and just about every other GT car in the game.

Earlier today - 911RSR on RM tyres around Laguna Seca.., is now just bloody useless.

This update is a huge step backwards, IMO. Why can't they fix the things that need fixing instead of f#@kin with things that don't.
1. penalty system 2. weekly races - repetitive, getting boring and too few options (need at least 5) 3. BoP needs addressing properly - the differences should be more down to vehicle type (FR RR 4WD etc) instead of ridiculous variations in weight and horse power, which just produces a few blatant meta cars 4. update the damned cars! Seriously... they are Sooooooo old.
Is that on the BOP fixed setups? If so, blame them not the car... Outside of the BOP confines you can set the car up properly and the Porsche is a joy to drive.

R3V

Turn ABS to weak, last update cause a bug and switched like the 120fps bug when ps5 set to performance. I was also confused and thought thats part of the new physics. Since i switched to weak all is like before.

Last edited:
Back