New Release Date Discussion

• Thread starter sUn
  • 1,153 comments
I'm pretty bummed that it is not online. Actually I think it's total BS that it isn't. I just received a PS2 flyer in the mail (as I'm sure a lot of you did). 20 games are listed as online in there. Games they probably spent a year or 2 making..... I would have given up a crew making 20 trips to a far away track to photograph every blade of grass just to have an online option instead.

Also, the book mentions GT4 as "available early 2005"
👎

No. Not until Sony announces a confirmed release date. Until then, it's all just speculation. And retailers DO speculate.. any date you see without a SCEA press release supporting it is just a wild guess.

LOL .. the new issue of Game Informer still has GT4 listed to be released Dec. 14 :lol:

meh...gamespy has it listed as december 14th too...right next to the article that says sony pushed it back to Q1 2005. They have 10,000 different games they are paying attention to...we only have 1.

Minnesota01R6, You've done us a big a favor by e-mailing sony. They should give you a definitive reason on why GT is pushed back. Did they give you a response? Thanks for the links too, Minnesota. I guess people start rumors to make an assumption on why GT4 was set-back. But spreading not just rumors about not just a release date, but anything is not a safe thing to do in this world. There are alot of people in this world that could sue just because of rumors. But here's the mysterious part: Why is Yamauchi keeping quiet about those rumors? If he has, someone please tell me if he has talked about them.

Also, thanks SaintKamus for posting about the online version GT4. You took the words right out of my mouth. Different people have different tastes and dreams about GT4. It still woudn't hurt to hope that a Ferrari 360 Modena will be kickin' a Toyota Supra's rear on Midfield Raceway. This Set back has brung up many possiblities about the features of GT4.

EDIT:Ignore my question about why KY is keeping quiet about the rumors. It's recommended that he should, but he doesn't have to!

SaintKamus
i think you're dreaming, the online version has not been anounced officialy, it was just comented that "there will be an online version later on" this will probably end up meaning GT5. don't belive me? just wait and see.

and by the way, just what do you mean "people get so pissy about a missing feature that no previous GT game ever had."

excuse me? i was pissed of GT3 didn't have it, but then, there was no network adapter back then (wich was a shame, considering the older "obsolete" dreamcast had one). GT2 didn't have it, no networking for PS ONE, so that's fine. same for GT1.

but now we get GT4, there's a network adapter out, and even the new PS2 has one built in (wich should've been included in the original PS2, and for all you people that say "but that would've been too expensive!" just remmember the dreamcast ok? spare me.)

ok, so now, 4 years later after the PS2's release you can finally play online in lots of games... (WAAAY OVERDUE!). and the PS2's flagship title, that is multiplayer by nature doesn't have support for it?
geez, i'm sorry if i try to get my money's worth, i can see how some people (like you) don't care about such things, you don't care about competitive gameplay, heck, you're a hardcore GT series fan and you play with the DS2.
so you're not competitive, that's fine. but howbout those of us who are? we get screwed.

i hope i helped you understand why we want online in GT4, and wanted it in GT3 but wasn't possible due to sony's mediocre console rollout. (say what you want, the PS2 launch was a disaster, the PS2 did great because of all the hype they created with early tech demos, but as a whole, the console could've been better, the Dreamcast launch was superior, but their marketing wasn't enough to keep them in bussiness.)

what i don't get is people like you, what do you care if people want online or not? you're getting your game either way, you can still play vs AI even if it has online, and you can still play with your DS2, and nothing will change that, so you're happy right? you get your features, but just cause you have the game the way you want it, doesn't mean it's the way evryone wants it.

so in a nutshell, whats it to you if people talk about the lack of online?

Well said. Its comedy how much focus the online mode has had then zip its been cancelled for the major release, Sony infrastructures not up to it my arse, how long do they want!? Equally it wouldn't suprise me if we didn't see an official online till GT5. I also don't believe the localisation/manufacturing problems, just sounds like the usual bull.

As for the AI, it still sucks :lol:

T5-R
Well said. Its comedy how much focus the online mode has had then zip its been cancelled for the major release, Sony infrastructures not up to it my arse, how long do they want!? Equally it wouldn't suprise me if we didn't see an official online till GT5. I also don't believe the localisation/manufacturing problems, just sounds like the usual bull.

As for the AI, it still sucks :lol:

yes, the AI sucks, big time, this was my biggest concern after i found out that there wouln't be online, i said to myself "well, hopefully we'll get decent AI then, since they just ditched the real competition."

sadly, the AI is just as bad as the one in GT3, it doesn't respect your room, it won't brake to avoid a collision with you, it will get on the ideal racing line even if you're next to their car and it's not agressive at all, it's just a zombie doing the exact same thing each time.
so, i guess we shouln't even say "the AI sucks" we should just say, GT4 doesn't have AI, period.

why don the mods put a release date thread ,and every body could post any thing abot release dates over there and nobody can create a new relelase date thread

SaintKamus
so in a nutshell, whats it to you if people talk about the lack of online?

It's one thing to talk about the lack of online.. it's completely different to think that the game will be the worst thing ever pressed onto DVD just because it doesn't have it. Remember, it's a feature that most PS2 owners don't even use.

Hell, I even did the research on that a few days ago.. according to Sony's latest quarterly report, with sales data as of March 31, 2004, just over 5% of PS2 owners had purchased a network adapter. Five percent. Even assuming that, in the time since March, the sales of the network adapter outstripped the sales of the system itself, and being very generous, the number would be only around 10%. And that's including the new PSTwo. Remember, not everyone who buys a PSTwo will use online just because it happens to have a network adapter in it.. as I recall, not many DC users went online.

So either way, the number of online PS2 users is somewhere between 5-10% of the total. Hardly the second coming of gaming.

I agree that online is not a big deal, but you have to remember the new PS2 now has it built in, there are many who would use it if they didn't have to pay for it, and with a game like GT2 it could help to increase that number of people who use it (and remember 5-10% of p2s owners is still a huge number of people)

My local gameshop upgraded there date from 30th march to 20th Feb.

EBGames is stating that PD does not have a publisher at the current time to release the game, so that is why there is a delay. I have heard this from three different stores in Ohio.

So does anyone know exactly why its getting pushed back? Is it because the game was too massive? I dont know if anyone else on this board is familiar with this, but there was a big problem with the release of GTA: SA. Apparently the game was so large that peoples playstations' died out trying to load it. It created some type of overload on the console shredding its lifespan, seriously. I dont have any links, but you can go to any GTA: SA forum(GameFaqs,IGN, etc.) and ask yourself. After seeing this problem, this could be a reason why Sony is pushing the game back. I know because Im ordering another PS2 now because of this problem.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. I've heard similar things, people saying that GT4 is going to have astronomical load times because it's such a huge game. Which is utterly rediculous.. the game is "big" only in terms of storing data on the disc. When you start a race, it still loads only the track and six cars. And a track and six cars doesn't take any longer to load now than it did on GT3, and it doesn't "overload" the system, either.

There is no confirmed reason for the delay. Personally, I believe it's a production problem somewhere, but there's no idea what that problem might be. Some have suggested problems getting the game onto the disc (no PS2 game has ever filled a DVD9 before, not even GTA:SA), others say that Sony didn't plan ahead far enough to schedule time at the manufacturing plants, and ended up having to make a last-minute scramble to get enough copies manufactured, and couldn't do it in time for the 12/3 release.

Which one's true? Who knows? Could be either of them, could be neither. Could be something we can't even guess at.

Just a little info about this, I started a new job at a PC retailer that also sells consoles and I was checking the merchandising sheets and it had big titles due for release soon and Gran Turismo 4 was slated as 28/1/2005 (that's January for you americans). This list was only created and distributed then printed off today, so you never know. I'm in the UK btw.

Not for definite of course but one to look out for. :)

Originally Quoted by Senal12:"Apparently the game was so large that peoples playstations' died out trying to load it. It created some type of overload on the console shredding its lifespan, seriously".

That's an interesting rumor because the "new" ps2 was just released in time for GT4.
It's supposed to be "more capable". Does anybody have any specs of it?

As far as I know, it's identical to every other PS2, except in it's general construction and external power supply, which makes it smaller. The actual system specs are unchanged.

Then the term "more capable" must have meant that it's more portable. The term is basically a lie (or propaganda) to make people buy it. or maybe that it has the nework card built in. But making that new ps2 was, in my opinion a big no-no. The hard drive can't even be installed. That hdd could have expanded a lot of games, take for example Final Fantasy 10 That was bundled with the hard drive. 40 gig's scrapped. Damn....

Hey guys. Well i just got back from bestbuy to guy underground 2 and the logitech force pro and i went to look at the preorder card things for gt4 and the new date they have was 1/19/05. Lets hope the stick with that. That not too long after xmas. Enough time to beat the hell out of underground :dunce:

Welcome to the forums, Turbp s15.
I Hate to get your hopes down but everyone from Retail stores to gaming magazines have been spreading rumors about the release date of GT4. I won't trust anyone of 'em until I get an official date from KY himself. We'll just have to wait for the answer now.
Now if you'll exuse me, I have to watch America's Next Top Model... :)

I'm guessing that it will be released either Jan. 4 or Jan. 11 as Jedi has mentioned earlier, since they are the only tuesdays within the margin from the previous Japanese/American release dates (Dec. 3 and 14). Now that the Japanese date is Dec. 28, the closest tuesdays are the dates above.

For those who don't know, which is probably no one, most games are released on tuesdays which is why we've been using tuesday dates.

yea ive been on here for a while i just never registered. lol. But yea just think about how sick its gonna be when it does come out. Its gonna be off the shelf like crazy

Jedi2016
I doubt that has anything to do with it. I've heard similar things, people saying that GT4 is going to have astronomical load times because it's such a huge game. Which is utterly rediculous.. the game is "big" only in terms of storing data on the disc. When you start a race, it still loads only the track and six cars. And a track and six cars doesn't take any longer to load now than it did on GT3, and it doesn't "overload" the system, either.

There is no confirmed reason for the delay. Personally, I believe it's a production problem somewhere, but there's no idea what that problem might be. Some have suggested problems getting the game onto the disc (no PS2 game has ever filled a DVD9 before, not even GTA:SA), others say that Sony didn't plan ahead far enough to schedule time at the manufacturing plants, and ended up having to make a last-minute scramble to get enough copies manufactured, and couldn't do it in time for the 12/3 release.

Which one's true? Who knows? Could be either of them, could be neither. Could be something we can't even guess at.

I have here three links on topics concerning the breakdown of the PS2 due to these new massive games that have just came out. I already know that the games dont load everything at one time, but there is still some kind of technical errors with them. The first two threads are about GTA's size(not nearly as big as GT4) and how its harming PS2's. For the third link go down to disc read error sony repair and read down to section 4 and it tells you why Sony Playstation has a lawsuit and they have to fix your PS2 for free.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=36831&topic=17852405

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=36831&topic=17833848

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/26308.html

All Im saying is that all this stuff is new and it has to do with the size of all the new games coming out and how its conflicting with the PS2. The producers of GT4 could have sampled their finished product and encountered this same type of problem. just a theory.

Ah, I think I see what they're saying. I think that's actually a result of bad coding more than anything else. Here's my theory:

On certain games, the machine has to "spool" information from the DVD as the game is playing. This technique was introduced back on the PS1 for Soul Reaver, I believe. Where the system only has to "load" the initial starting point.. after that, as you move to a new area, the new information is spooled from the disc, and is waiting in memory before you get there, for seamless gameplay with no load times. It seems logical that an "open" game like GTA would use this feature.

I don't think the problem is in the laser itself, but rather than guidance system that moves the laser around.

If a game is properly coded, then all of the relevant information for the spooling would be located on one section of the disc, so that the laser doesn't have to move that far in order to load everything it needs.

However, if the information it needs is scattered around the disc, then the laser has to do a lot of jumping around in order to load everything. This is what makes that "clicking" noise that some people report. This can also cause stutters in the game and/or audio, if the laser is having a hard time keeping up with the spooling. Blood Omen 2 suffered horribly from this, constantly stuttering as new sections were loaded, and you could hear the laser scurrying around the disc trying to collect all the data on the new section.

MGS3 also suffers from this.. the "skipping audio" some people complain about in codec conversations. I've heard this stuttering, and I can also hear the laser on my PS2 going from one end of the disc to the other, over and over again during codec conversations. This means that, while the game itself runs just fine, the coding of the game itself isn't "optimized" for spooling, that the system is having to scan over the entire surface of the disc to get what it needs for one small section.

The end result is a motor, gear, or belt that wears out and/or breaks so the laser can no longer move properly. Which, for a spooling game like GTA, would result in a DRE.

Luckily, I don't think GT4 uses the spooling technique. I've never once heard my PS2's laser skipping around once a race is loaded. Most likely, the track and cars are small enough files that the system only has to load them once, and they're then stored in memory, requiring no further spooling from the disc.

It IS possible, specifically in GT4, that unusually large tracks may require spooling (specifically, Nürburgring, and possibly LeMans, if that track is there). Owners of the no-time-limit BMW demo, and possibly owners of the new demo could confirm whether or not the PS2 is spooling the track as it plays that course.

But so long as the game is fairly well laid out on the disc, it shouldn't stress the system any more than normal.

Me, I've got a first-gen PS2.. 30001, launch unit. So if anyone's PS2 is going to die, it'll probably be mine.. hehe. But it's never given me any trouble so far.. I get the occasional DRE's, but never on a game.. always on a CD, DVD, and most especially on DVD-Rs (since my set-top player won't touch a DVD-R). I'm not particularly worried about it, though. It's never given me a DRE on a game, and although it has gotten quite a bit of use lately, I've had stretches where I haven't turned the thing on for months at a time. So even though mine's "older", it probably has a lot fewer hours on it than other launch units. So long as it lasts me until the PS3 comes out, I'm good. :)

Although if mine does die right after GT4 comes out, you'll hear about it, don't worry. :)

Back